News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Delusional Charger sellers

Started by Homerr, November 09, 2014, 02:44:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mike DC

QuoteThe sad thing is that eventually, some chump with visions of grandeur will buy that hacked up & rusted out pile of nothing.

So what should people use when they intend to build a tube-chassis race car, or a highly customized Charger?  Cut up a $30,000 restored stock one? 

There is a place in the hobby for cheap rough body shells. 

Mytur Binsdirti

Quote from: Mike DC (formerly miked) on July 08, 2017, 10:09:56 AM
QuoteThe sad thing is that eventually, some chump with visions of grandeur will buy that hacked up & rusted out pile of nothing.

So what should people use when they intend to build a tube-chassis race car, or a highly customized Charger?  Cut up a $30,000 restored stock one? 

With zero bids (so far), others don't seem to share that vision.

HANDM

Mike DC

QuoteWith zero bids (so far), others don't seem to share that vision.

::)

Well, I wasn't defending the price of that one. 

I just defend the concept of raggedy stuff for sale. 

Mytur Binsdirti

Quote from: Mike DC (formerly miked) on July 08, 2017, 02:29:52 PM
QuoteWith zero bids (so far), others don't seem to share that vision.

::)

Well, I wasn't defending the price of that one. 

I just defend the concept of raggedy stuff for sale. 

In other words, even if there's nothing left of a Dodge Charger but scrap metal, said scrap metal is so sacred that it should be save just in case someone wants to turn it into a Bobby Issac Daytona clone or the next George Barris custom, even if no one wants to do it. I got it now.    :2thumbs:

VegasCharger

Quote from: Mytur Binsdirti on July 09, 2017, 05:12:31 AM
In other words, even if there's nothing left of a Dodge Charger but scrap metal, said scrap metal is so sacred that it should be save just in case someone wants to turn it into a Bobby Issac Daytona clone or the next George Barris custom, even if no one wants to do it. I got it now.    :2thumbs:

:smilielol: :smilielol: :smilielol:

Mike DC

QuoteIn other words, even if there's nothing left of a Dodge Charger but scrap metal, said scrap metal is so sacred that it should be save just in case someone wants to turn it into a Bobby Issac Daytona clone or the next George Barris custom, even if no one wants to do it. I got it now.  

Look at pics of a junkyard in about 1983.  The majority of those cars with desirable bodystyles would get restored if they were still around in that shape now.  The majority.  

JR

Quote from: Mytur Binsdirti on July 09, 2017, 05:12:31 AM

In other words, even if there's nothing left of a Dodge Charger but scrap metal, said scrap metal is so sacred that it should be save just in case someone wants to turn it into a Bobby Issac Daytona clone or the next George Barris custom, even if no one wants to do it. I got it now.    :2thumbs:

I know you're being sarcastic, but, yes, exactly. Say if I wanted to rebody a tube frame stock car chassis with a 2nd gen body for track day use. Like this:

Now, would you prefer I cut up a mint example, (like your 68) or would you prefer I use the wrecked and rusted hulk of that 70 that diehard chalk mark restoration guys such as yourself would otherwise send to the crusher?

I don't understand how any car guy couldn't see the potential in that shell.
70 Charger RT top bananna /68 Charger RT triple green

Fitz73Chrgr

Quote from: chargerboy69 on July 08, 2017, 07:07:16 AM
While this is one of the sweetest 1st generations I have seen, he is a touch high on the price.  If I had a 50 percent off coupon, I would be all over it.

:drool5:

That's gorgeous!
'73 Charger - project                '70 Charger - driver                 '66 Charger - survivor

Resto thread:
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,89803.msg1019541.html#msg1019541

Mytur Binsdirti

Quote from: Mike DC (formerly miked) on July 09, 2017, 05:41:28 PM
QuoteIn other words, even if there's nothing left of a Dodge Charger but scrap metal, said scrap metal is so sacred that it should be save just in case someone wants to turn it into a Bobby Issac Daytona clone or the next George Barris custom, even if no one wants to do it. I got it now.  

Look at pics of a junkyard in about 1983.  The majority of those cars with desirable bodystyles would get restored if they were still around in that shape now.  The majority.  

That is very true, but it's now 34 years beyond 1983 & those junk yard cars are that much, much worse.

Mytur Binsdirti

Quote from: Mike DC (formerly miked) on July 08, 2017, 10:09:56 AM

Quote from: JR on July 09, 2017, 06:09:15 PM

I don't understand how any car guy couldn't see the potential in that shell.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3z2Zlf3MX1k

:icon_smile_big:   

JR

You didn't answer my question.

I see a perfectly usable cowl, roof, and usable tailpanel and a place to hang new quarters. That's all I need to rebody a stock car chassis like the Chevelle above.

So again, would you prefer I cut up a clean second gen, or use this wreck you keep insisting is worthless?
70 Charger RT top bananna /68 Charger RT triple green

Mytur Binsdirti

Quote from: JR on July 09, 2017, 08:06:09 PM
You didn't answer my question.

I see a perfectly usable cowl, roof, and usable tailpanel and a place to hang new quarters. That's all I need to rebody a stock car chassis like the Chevelle above.

So again, would you prefer I cut up a clean second gen, or use this wreck you keep insisting is worthless?

I would say that there is a small minority of people (in comparison to the car hobby as a whole) who are into building the roundy round stuff scavenging whatever sheetmetal they can off of 40-50 year old wrecks, but I do see the point for your application only. In that case only, who cares about using anything but junk sheetmetal. That all being said, even you didn't have the heart to do that to a Charger.

dccoronet

That is a great starting point for someone who wants the satisfaction of building a car form a pile.  I like having nice cars, but when they are done...all there is to do is wash them....and I hate washing cars.  Its a little crazy but I want to take a car completely apart..... I mean every weld... fix every panel, and see if I can get it back together again.  I can see that in this car...

chargerboy69

Indiana Army National Guard 1st Battalion, 293rd Infantry. Nightfighters. Fort Wayne Indiana.

A government big enough to give you everything you need, is a government big enough to take away everything that you have.
--Gerald Ford

ACUDANUT

Not double. He is just trying to make 10K more than he paid for it.

chargerboy69

You are correct.  For some reason I thought he originally had the car for sale for $40.
Indiana Army National Guard 1st Battalion, 293rd Infantry. Nightfighters. Fort Wayne Indiana.

A government big enough to give you everything you need, is a government big enough to take away everything that you have.
--Gerald Ford

alfaitalia

Errmmmm.....well....yes....what can I say? Yours for £6900....about $9000 !

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/DODGE-CHARGER-/253056457805?hash=item3aeb571c4d:g:5DUAAOSwgv5ZTtdK

....and this for just £7499.....$9800...lol!

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/1972-Dodge-Charger-318-Project-Car-runs-and-moves-/152632737479?hash=item23899ebec7:g:6y0AAOSwZQRYhjUG

.....both pretty typical of the sort of junk we get offered at silly prices in the UK and why its much cheaper to buy one partially/fully restored or import from the states privately.
If at first you don't succeed, skydiving is not for you !!

alfaitalia

Hmmmm...some might suspicious looking bidding in the bid history on that one! Lol.

timmycharger

Quote from: F8-4life on July 28, 2017, 09:43:14 AM
https://youngstown.craigslist.org/cto/d/dodge-charger-rt-project-car/6237951858.html

Great father/son project!

From some of the other cars that have sold in worse condition, given it's a real R/T (didn't see a VIN to prove it) that price isn't that bad actually. As it has been stated many times, the costs are about the same to bring this one back vs. a non R/T.  But for lots of guys that take on a project like this, investment isn't usually what is driving them.

alfaitalia

I would have snapped that up at that price in the UK...cars like that sell for double that or more here...supply and demand. Not really a fit car for this thread imo.

F8-4life

That car is a turd from the back 40. The only thing worth any $$ on that wreck is interior peices, grill, doors & possibly some misc. trinkets...
Barely worth 2k, the only reason its at 5k is the seller is putting good value on the vin/title, but the car is roasted so it would be a rebody anyhow.