News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Timmycharger's 68 Resto

Started by timmycharger, August 21, 2015, 07:22:18 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Charger_Fan

After peeking in on your thread a couple times previously, I thought "man, I need to make time to read through the whole thing"...did that today. Great work on your Charger, it looks absolutely fantastic!! :cheers:

I'm very impressed that the only thing you farmed out was the paint job, it kinda gives me hope that I may actually be able to do the majority of the work on mine. I'll be checking back in on your progress more often now, keep at it. :icon_smile_cool:

Oh and BTW, I had to LOL when you wrote about your wife's new dress in the trunk, that ended up smelling like burnt rubber, after your big burnout. Sounds like something that would happen to me. :smilielol:

The Aquamax...yes, this bike spent 2 nights underwater one weekend. (Not my doing), but it gained the name, and has since become pseudo-famous. :)

timmycharger

Quote from: Charger_Fan on October 12, 2016, 02:12:42 PM
After peeking in on your thread a couple times previously, I thought "man, I need to make time to read through the whole thing"...did that today. Great work on your Charger, it looks absolutely fantastic!! :cheers:

I'm very impressed that the only thing you farmed out was the paint job, it kinda gives me hope that I may actually be able to do the majority of the work on mine. I'll be checking back in on your progress more often now, keep at it. :icon_smile_cool:

Oh and BTW, I had to LOL when you wrote about your wife's new dress in the trunk, that ended up smelling like burnt rubber, after your big burnout. Sounds like something that would happen to me. :smilielol:

Thank you very much! I appreciate that, for the most part I tried to do everything myself, it just wasn't in the budget to pay someone to do it for me, which is why it is taking me so long.

Yes, the dress story was great, my wife just shakes her head when I mention it to her  ;D

Good luck on your Charger, I hope you will be able to tackle the work yourself as when its done it just makes it all that better knowing you had a huge part in its completion.  :2thumbs: :2thumbs:

VegasCharger

Quote from: timmycharger on October 11, 2016, 08:17:24 AM
I am not too happy with the aftermarket windshield trim, it doesn't fit as nice as my originals that are bent to hell, particularly on the bottom corners where it covers the A pillar, it looks like dog crap, big gap, its like its not the right shape. I will look for an original set and polish it out, but for now I am going to run it.

Looking nice  :2thumbs: :2thumbs:

I have misc windshield trim pieces both for front and rear if you decide to go original and cannot find a complete set.

timmycharger

[/quote]

Looking nice  :2thumbs: :2thumbs:

I have misc windshield trim pieces both for front and rear if you decide to go original and cannot find a complete set.
[/quote]

Good to know! thank you I will keep that in mind :2thumbs: :2thumbs:

timmycharger

I got some parts back from the blaster and prepped them for paint. Mostly bumper brackets, head light parts and other assorted under car stuff. Since I am nowhere near a factory correct build, everything got blasted with black.

I taped off and painted the tail panel, used SEM trim black and tried to give it a dry spray to create some texture, I am happy with how it came out. Since I am running a trunk mounted battery, I had to put a shut off as I plan on track time. I tried to blend it into the tail panel, and have a red handle I can swap out for when I hit the track.

I regret having to smooth over the quarter valence end caps, with those horrible Year One skins and end caps, and my lack of experience, I couldn't get them to look good enough to have the seams look decent.  Meh, maybe I will have another chance at a 69 some day and they will be perfect :yesnod:

Dino

If it really bothers you, it doesn't take much to tape off the corners and cut a slight gap in there. If you do it right you can just touch it up with paint when you're done instead of having to respray it.

Car looks killer by the way!   :cheers:
Extraordinary claims require extraordinary evidence.

timmycharger

Thanks Dino, I did try to scribe in lines when it was still in primer but it didn't come out too good. I welded the seams and have a small skim coat on them so when I tried to cut the lines, it was hard to cut them straight. I regret doing it this way but I will chaulk it up to a learning experience.

timmycharger

My original tail lights were in poor condition so I ended up scoring a re chromed set on Ebay that needed a little bit of work. the prior owner sprayed black inside the tail light housing where the lights would go, I compared my original that was bright silver.  A little bit of chrome spray did the trick.  The black needed to be re done as there were chips and the line was rough near the chrome.  I used my lenses and gaskets, used plastic polish to clean them up.  I have to sort out the wiring, the turn signals and brake lights don't work but they go on with the headlights. Maybe a blown fuse?  The reverse lights work :2thumbs:

timmycharger

:cheers:

qwick68

I know it's not correct but I like the smooth valence corners...
68 Charger LL-1 Turquoise

green69rt

Quote from: qwick68 on November 06, 2016, 01:21:08 PM
I know it's not correct but I like the smooth valence corners...

I do too.

Ryan.C

There are few problems in life that cannot be solved with C-4.

timmycharger

Thanks guys, it's not as much of a big deal as I thought it would be, especially after I start bolting things on!  :2thumbs:

Charger_Fan

Quote from: timmycharger on November 05, 2016, 09:46:45 PM
I have to sort out the wiring, the turn signals and brake lights don't work but they go on with the headlights. Maybe a blown fuse? 
It might be a fuse, or it could be the turn signal switch. Power to the brake lights goes through the T/S switch, so if it's bad, you won't get squat.

The back end is looking pretty schweeet!! :drool5:

The Aquamax...yes, this bike spent 2 nights underwater one weekend. (Not my doing), but it gained the name, and has since become pseudo-famous. :)

tan top

Feel free to post any relevant picture you think we all might like to see in the threads below!

Charger Stuff 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,86777.0.html
Chargers in the background where you least expect them 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,97261.0.html
C500 & Daytonas & Superbirds
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,95432.0.html
Interesting pictures & Stuff 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,109484.925.html
Old Dodge dealer photos wanted
 http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,120850.0.html

timmycharger

Thank you!

Charger_Fan,  you nailed it. I jiggled the turn signal lever and they work now, sort of, its very wonky so I will be ordering up a new one. Thanks! :cheers: :cheers:

VegasCharger

Not for me, gotta have the lines compared to being smoothed out valance corners.

:Twocents:

Tail lights look awesome  :2thumbs: :2thumbs:

timmycharger

My brother in law was in town and he helped me put down the stripe.  We taped off the location based on threads I found on this site with measurements from an original car, then just used some soapy water in a spray bottle and a squeegee.  I am very happy with how it turned out.  :2thumbs:

green69rt

Stripe looks really good!  :cheers:
I just realized that 68 and 69 backup lights are diff.   :eek2:

timmycharger

Thanks! yep, I kind of like the 69 style better, but then again, pretty much the entire back end.

We got most of the trim straightened and polished and on the car, few more pieces to go.  :coolgleamA:

BLK 68 R/T

qwick68

68 Charger LL-1 Turquoise

timmycharger

Thanks guys  :cheers:

Got in a few hours on Sunday, cleaned the shop dust from the trunk area, greased the trunk hinges so now it stops making terrible sounds when I open and close it.

Polished and installed the upper tail panel trim that my brother in law did a great job getting dents out of.  Lastly I installed the trunk seal, what a pain in the ass that was as I initially made a big mess with the adhesive but was able to clean it before it was permanent.

TPR

One of my favorite threads.
Looking close to done!
:2thumbs:
TPR
1968 Dodge Charger R/T 440 - UU1 Light Blue Metallic
www.tr440.com

68pplcharger