News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

FOUND - Unknown Charger 500 Hemi 4 Speed car in Riverside, CA

Started by tallzag, December 15, 2015, 01:40:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

tallzag

Got a lead on this car last month, it's a real 1969 Dodge Charger 500 Hemi 4 speed car that has been off the road since 1974.  This is one of the coolest finds I've ever found.  Car was out of my price range so it just sold to a new owner who is going to restore it.  Unfortunately the motor was blown up early in life but it did have a 69 Hemi in it.  Car is originally from Texas and is a pretty early car.

billssuperbird

Highwaystar

Put it in the Registry, if you could. To my understanding there was only about 44 hemi 4 speeds and 44- 440 4 speeds built. I am sure someone has more exact numbers on that, but low production all the same in a very hi demand model. Is it in rough shape? what kind of coin was spent on this jewel?
68 GTX Convertible
69.5 Road Runner
69 Charger 500

T.J

73rallye440magnum

Current- 70 Charger XH29G Y3, F8, F8

Past- '73 Rallye U code, '69 Coronet 500 vert, '68 Roadrunner clone, XP29H8, XP29G8

tallzag

Here is an underhood shot.  Sorry the light wasn't very good.  It was repainted once in 1978.

Mopar Nut

"Dear God, my prayer for 2024 is a fat bank account and a thin body. Please don't mix these up like you did the last ten years."

seaweed

Why does the car have the vacuum canister and hose when it doesent have any hidden lights?

white

The hoses were cut off when new grill was installed at creative industries. Most of the 500's I see are like this. I am no expert just going off of what I have seen and been told by owner's.

tan top

:o wow  :drool5: :drool5:   , thanks for sharing the pictures & stuff   :cheers: :cheers:
Feel free to post any relevant picture you think we all might like to see in the threads below!

Charger Stuff 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,86777.0.html
Chargers in the background where you least expect them 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,97261.0.html
C500 & Daytonas & Superbirds
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,95432.0.html
Interesting pictures & Stuff 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,109484.925.html
Old Dodge dealer photos wanted
 http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,120850.0.html

seaweed

Ok. didn't know that, I have never seen one in real life.
I'm not sure if anyone owns a 500 here in Sweden.

moparstuart

Quote from: white on December 15, 2015, 05:01:14 PM
The hoses were cut off when new grill was installed at creative industries. Most of the 500's I see are like this. I am no expert just going off of what I have seen and been told by owner's.
yup some differ but most they just hacked the hoses and left them , left the cannister too
GO SELL CRAZY SOMEWHERE ELSE WE ARE ALL STOCKED UP HERE

69_500

Vacuum hoses from what I have seen over the years were not cut at all by Creative. They were just left hanging. Every one I have ran across that is cut, I have been able to talk to previous owners and find one of them that is the culprit on cutting the hoses.

ws23rt

That's what I suspected from my limited experience with these cars.
It makes sense to get the cars out of the shop asap by doing only what was needed for the aero change.
My car had the vacuum can but not the hoses. (I'm the third owner)
If the hoses were present when I bought the car (in 1982) I likely would have cut them off myself. :slap:

TheAutoArchaeologist

That's awesome!  How'd you hear about the car?  Why had it been sitting since... well forever?

tallzag

Hey Ryan, met you at MCACN very briefly, Tom from Rocket Restorations.

At the Fall Fling show in Van Nuys, CA a guy pulled up with a U-Haul full of NOS and rare parts.  My buddy ended up buying most of the stuff and they said they had a few cars for sale too.  After the show did a little follow up and they mentioned the 500 as well as this 1969 Dodge Dart I ended up buying (picture below).  Was going down to LA last week anyways so went to look at it.  Had a friend who was a wing car guy who was interested so he came out and bought it.

All of this was part of an estate sale.  A Mopar gentleman passed last year and he had this huge collection of stuff.  Think he considered the 500 his retirement.  It sold for a very reasonable amount in my opinion but it isn't my car so don't want to talk $$$.

white

C500 is the man who has great knowledge of these cars. Love this site

Davtona

Quote from: Devil on December 15, 2015, 08:20:12 PM
That's awesome!  How'd you hear about the car?  Why had it been sitting since... well forever?

I know of the collection that this car originally came out of. Several people on here have heard of him I am sure. Very big into Mopars and Hemis from way back in the day.    

Beep Beep Dave

Thanks for sharing, that is a nice find. Looks good enough to drive with a cleanup and mechanicals. More pics please :cheers:

Dave
'69-1/2 SIXPACK/SIXBBL REGISTRY On-Line Registry for the Lift Off Hood cars!!!
Maple Leaf Mopars your Canadian Mopar site.

1970 Charger R/T

RallyeMike

Does the title "Unknown 500" means that the VIN is definitely not on the registry list? If so, can it be added?

http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,115251.0.html

1969 Charger 500 #232008
1972 Charger, Grand Sport #41
1973 Charger "T/A"

Drive as fast as you want to on a public road! Click here for info: http://www.sscc.us/

TheAutoArchaeologist

Quote from: tallzag on December 15, 2015, 08:57:22 PM
Hey Ryan, met you at MCACN very briefly, Tom from Rocket Restorations.

At the Fall Fling show in Van Nuys, CA a guy pulled up with a U-Haul full of NOS and rare parts.  My buddy ended up buying most of the stuff and they said they had a few cars for sale too.  After the show did a little follow up and they mentioned the 500 as well as this 1969 Dodge Dart I ended up buying (picture below).  Was going down to LA last week anyways so went to look at it.  Had a friend who was a wing car guy who was interested so he came out and bought it.

All of this was part of an estate sale.  A Mopar gentleman passed last year and he had this huge collection of stuff.  Think he considered the 500 his retirement.  It sold for a very reasonable amount in my opinion but it isn't my car so don't want to talk $$$.

Cool man, good to talk to ya then!  Sorry I didn't put 2 and 2 together.  I hope you liked the show!

That's awesome.  The whole thing sounds familiar, like others had said.  But I hear alot of stories.  It's great to see that the cars have been rescued from being neglected for so long!  Congratulation!

Ryan

tallzag

MCACN was awesome, loved the barn find display.  You looked very distracted when I introduced myself  :2thumbs:

It's funny where you hear about this stuff, gotten some good leads from car shows.  Also at the Fling a lady showed up who's Dad had just passed and they had a 1960 300F, a 1957 300C convertible, a 1964 Fury 426 Wedge 4 speed car, a 1958 Imperial Convertible, a 1958 Sweptside pickup, 57 New Yorker, and many more.  Went over the day after and found a ton of parts too.  Ended up buying a bunch of the parts but all the cars went to Sweden.

tallzag

r4daytona

I know you said it was repainted once.  Was the car originally blue?  I ask because of the blue on the underside of the hood???   OR was the hood replaced?  It wouldn't seem to make sense to paint the hole car and leave the underside of the hood. :icon_smile_question:  Very cool find though!!

tallzag

The underside of the hood was blue, best guess is that it was replaced???  It was originally a green car.  Looks like it had a dent in one of the 1/4's too that was fixed.