News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Torsion Bars?

Started by Charger4404spd, December 25, 2015, 07:06:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

myk

Quote from: Charger4404spd on December 27, 2015, 03:54:11 PM
Speaking of steering.... While Im doing a rebuild Im going to replace the leaky steering box. Since my 2" primary headers are basically against the box, I am considering this.

http://www.bergmanautocraft.com/proddetail.php?prod=5-0033

Anyone running one of these boxes?

Thats on the list for this year's mods.  Dont forget the coupling kit that will allow you to hook it up without cutting your column, and the line kit...
"imgur-embed-pub" lang="en" data-id="a/mB3ii4B"><a href="//imgur.com/a/mB3ii4B"></a></blockquote><script async src="//s.imgur.com/min/embed.js"

Charger4404spd

yeah that coupler is $195  :-\

I called the guy ar Bergman Auto Craft and the complete kit (box, coupler and adapter line) is knocking on $900.

green69rt

Quote from: Charger4404spd on January 02, 2016, 06:19:56 PM

Got the k frame cleaned and I welded the seams. Waiting on my painter to finish it.
Waiting on the stiffening plates for the lower control arms.

I couldn't see if you reinforced the steering mount and the sockets for the strut bars.  Yours may be OK but the front end needs all the help it can get.  There's a cheap DIY kit from Firm Feel that you may want to look at.

Link:
http://www.firmfeel.com/b_body_mopar_k_frame_reinforcement.html

SwiftJonny

I went with Firmfeel 1.06" torsion bars. The ride is great for a street car. It's nice and stiff.
1968 Charger R/T 440 4 Speed
Racing Green Metallic

myk

Quote from: Charger4404spd on January 04, 2016, 04:39:58 PM
yeah that coupler is $195  :-\

I called the guy ar Bergman Auto Craft and the complete kit (box, coupler and adapter line) is knocking on $900.

Yeah but with what that kit offers over the stock type stuff I think it's worth it...
"imgur-embed-pub" lang="en" data-id="a/mB3ii4B"><a href="//imgur.com/a/mB3ii4B"></a></blockquote><script async src="//s.imgur.com/min/embed.js"

Charger4404spd

Yes, I have decided to go with the Borg box, for that price I sure hope it works good :2thumbs:

Dino

Quote from: green69rt on January 04, 2016, 07:12:35 PM
Quote from: Charger4404spd on January 02, 2016, 06:19:56 PM

Got the k frame cleaned and I welded the seams. Waiting on my painter to finish it.
Waiting on the stiffening plates for the lower control arms.

I couldn't see if you reinforced the steering mount and the sockets for the strut bars.  Yours may be OK but the front end needs all the help it can get.  There's a cheap DIY kit from Firm Feel that you may want to look at.

Link:
http://www.firmfeel.com/b_body_mopar_k_frame_reinforcement.html

Yes get that kit!  Well worth it.  My K member looks like a tank!   :yesnod:
Extraordinary claims require extraordinary evidence.

Charger4404spd

Im going to make my own kit :2thumbs: Hopefully get that done this week.

Dino

That'll work!  I had enough stuff to do that looking for metal and fabricating was not on my wanting to do list, but it's certainly easy enough to do.  I have to admit the pieces in the it were very well made and fit like a glove.  Do you have the stiffening plates on the lca's?

Charger4404spd

They will be here tomorrow ;D

Dino

A man with a plan!   :2thumbs:

Highbanked Hauler

Quote from: Charger4404spd on January 05, 2016, 08:33:05 PM
Yes, I have decided to go with the Borg box, for that price I sure hope it works good :2thumbs:

$900 is the price I found also. Let me know how you like it as I heard it has a fast ratio built into it which is what I am after.   I have a set of 1.0 bars in my car jacked most of the way down and they rode quite well. I put in tubular upper control arms now I have to bring the front end up level to get camber anywhere close and now I feel every grain of sand in the road.  ME personally myself, I don't think I'd go more than 1.0 unless you are road racing where the car has a lot of lean in a corner. :Twocents:
69 Charger 500, original owner  
68 Charger former parts car in process of rebuilding
92 Cummins Turbo Diesel
04 PT Cruiser

Kern Dog

I have the 1.15s in an aluminum headed 440 based 493. My battery is in the trunk too. The car does not ride stiff. Many guys that race these cars on road courses agree that it is next to impossible to "over-spring" the front of a Mopar. the 1.24 hex size limits the Torsion bar size to 1.22. Moparts member Mopar Mitch races his 70 Challenger on autocross courses and swears by big bars. He had a feature article in Mopar Action magazine some years back.

It might be a matter of personal tastes though. The ride might be subjective. I keep reading about the Borgeson steering box and how great it is. I am pretty happy with my Firm Feel Stage 3 setup but the Borgeson sounds interesting. I suggest the following: YOU drive a car with big torsion bars and I will drive a car with the Borgeson steering gear. This may be the only way to satisfy the curiousity. 

Charger4404spd

I was going to get a FirmFeel box until I ran across the Borgeson. The Borgeson is a lot smaller and will work good with my big tube headers.
I just ordered the 1.03 bars from PST. Im thinking it will be a much better ride than the factory bars.

Charger4404spd

LCA plate tacked

welded

cleaned up, took an hour to do both

Dino

Very nice!   :2thumbs:

Yeah that was an easy and fast mod.  I was surprised how well the plates fit, it needed no modification at all. 

Kern Dog

That is some nice work there.   :2thumbs:

birdsandbees

Thanks for the pics, bought that kit for my front end rebuild and PST supplied no instructions.
1970 'Bird RM23UOA170163
1969 'Bee WM21H9A230241
1969 Dart Swinger LM23P9B190885
1967 Plymouth Barracuda Formula S
1966 Plymouth Satellite HP2 - 9941 original miles
1964 Dodge 440 62422504487

green69rt

Just make sure that one of the long holes is lined up with the head of the TB adjuster bolt.  If not you'll struggle every time you want to adjust your TBs.  I know it seems like a simple little thing and a big target to hit but if you get it wrong......

Charger4404spd

Dino

That looks great!  What paint did you use?  Mine's still in primer.

Charger4404spd

Not sure, a buddy of mine used auto paint. Its enamel with clear is all I know :icon_smile_big:

myk

Can't wait to see how your Borgeson install goes...

Charger4404spd

Supposed to be here next week, but the coupler is on back order :brickwall:

myk

Ah that sucks.  Well when they're in stock again I just might be ready to purchase mine.  Did you get the line kit too?