News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Torsion Bars?

Started by Charger4404spd, December 25, 2015, 07:06:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

HPP

Quote from: Kern Dog on February 08, 2016, 09:01:03 PM
Quote from: c00nhunterjoe on December 27, 2015, 11:26:50 AM
No strip time, then the 1.0 firm feel bars instead. Frame connectors are a must. If you stiffen the front end, the car will litteraly buckle in the middle when you add torque. I can post pictures of my broken windshield and ripped open door jamb....

Dick Landy had a 70 Charger Drag car that had no frame connectors. He had no problems like that. Maybe your car was rusty and flexible enough to buckle under 318 power...?

Landy also was rule restricted in what he could do and was using a brand new car that was replaced each year. After 40 years, all sorts of badness can happen to these things. They are only spot welded together.

Charger4404spd

Quote from: myk on February 01, 2016, 11:00:41 PM
Quote from: Charger4404spd on February 01, 2016, 07:17:29 PM
yeah sorry, just finished it up Saturday. Still really wet here and have not got to on a test ride. Still have to get it to the alignment shop.
The new steering box feels A LOT different. Pretty stiff compared to original box. Will get a better feel for it when I get to drive it.
What do you guys think about the height? I like it, but I am wondering if I cranked the bars up enough.

:o :o :o :o :drool5: :drool5: :drool5: :drool5: :drool5:

How did the install go?  I hope the new box isn't TOO stiff.  The way my steering is right now it's firm enough that it's not so sloppy, but it's still loose enough that I can flick the wheel in the direction I need it to very quickly.  Man I hope you get a test drive in soon.  Maybe the fast ratio helps with that?  I can't wait for your test drive!!!

Finally got the frontend aligned and went for a short drive. The Borgeson box sure feels a lot different than the factory box. Driving at speed the box feels great, nice and tight and I can really feel the road better. Turning the wheel while stopped is a bit difficult, but I will get used to it. I think I will be happy with it.

myk

Music to my ears, my friend, thank you.  How did the install go?  Any complications?   
"imgur-embed-pub" lang="en" data-id="a/mB3ii4B"><a href="//imgur.com/a/mB3ii4B"></a></blockquote><script async src="//s.imgur.com/min/embed.js"

Dino

Quote from: Charger4404spd on March 25, 2016, 09:15:28 AM
Finally got the frontend aligned and went for a short drive. The Borgeson box sure feels a lot different than the factory box. Driving at speed the box feels great, nice and tight and I can really feel the road better. Turning the wheel while stopped is a bit difficult, but I will get used to it. I think I will be happy with it.

And that's why you should never stop! Just keep moving!   :2thumbs:

You do have about 7 tons resting on those front tires so I can imagine it's a bit stiff.   :lol:

Do you have a 16" steering wheel in there? You may want to upgrade to one of these to improve smoothness at low speeds. It's real wood as well so there's a bonus right there.   :nana:

Extraordinary claims require extraordinary evidence.

Charger4404spd

Install was very easy. Nah I have a 14" steering wheel. My arms need a little exercise anyway at my age :icon_smile_cool:

frank1966

No strip time, then the 1.0 firm feel bars instead. Frame connectors are a must. If you stiffen the front end, the car will litteraly buckle in the middle when you add torque. I can post pictures of my broken windshield and ripped open door jamb....
Do you need frame connectors and torque boxes in order to upgrade torsion bars to 1.0?

HPP

IMO, you need frame connectors if you have a slant six with radial tires.

Charger4404spd

Quote from: frank1966 on March 25, 2016, 11:10:45 PM
Do you need frame connectors and torque boxes in order to upgrade torsion bars to 1.0?

I ended up using the .96 bars and I will install frame connectors in the near future.

Mike DC

IMO stiffening the chassis (torque box plating & subframe connectors) is like adding front disc brakes or an overdrive gear. 

Necessary to drive the car? 
No.   

Damn fine improvement? 
Good for the car in the long run? 
No major downsides other than cost? 
Yes.

Brass

Quote from: frank1966 on March 25, 2016, 11:10:45 PM

I have 1" bars without the connectors or boxes. I still plan on adding those. But in the meantime, the bars were a good upgrade.  Then again, not making monster torque either though.