News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Challenger Demon released

Started by odcics2, April 11, 2017, 07:50:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

odcics2

I've never owned anything but a MoPar. Can you say that?

JB400

Sure is a lot of car.  I wonder if this will continue on as a drag pack.

chargerperson

The below story speculates they will make about 3,000 of them in US, 300 in Canada with MSRP of $85,000ish but expectations they will sell for more.

Not sure how accurate that is but point of view from Car and Driver

http://www.caranddriver.com/news/2018-dodge-challenger-srt-demon-photos-and-info-news

b5blue

Here comes the 20K dealer up-charge.

garner7555

I watched the live reveal online.    In my opinion msrp will be more than 85k.   A car that runs mid 9s but is still very streetable with air conditioning is very expensive to build.   I hope that I'm wrong, maybe the price will be reasonable.    :shruggy:
69 Charger 440 resto-mod

1974dodgecharger

the crowd did not seem excited it mostly reporters obviously not car enthusiast all they wanted was the story so they can report and get views and clicks etc....

cbrestorations

it is cool to see mopar stay true to the muscle car scene with a new ground breaking car, do i want one?...nope. ide rather take that 85k and turn my charger into a demon killer

Aero426

Hellcats are now playing second fiddle.   

ws23rt

I wonder if the demon will be the turning point in what the public will buy in real numbers?
Their has to be a point of diminishing return for a major car maker and their target -HP- buyer in a below 100k price range.  

Would a 1500hp car sell at --let's say--80K?  I'm sure it would. :slap:

The idea that this car is not properly outfitted to race at most drag strips-- but may be ok for driving on the street brings a question to my mind.

Am I just used to Mom gov. telling me no? :nana:

I do like that dodge is pushing another limit just like the old days. :2thumbs:

Bobs69

What's the point in building it for only 1 year?

chargerperson

Quote from: Bobs69 on April 12, 2017, 10:51:33 PM
What's the point in building it for only 1 year?

Creation of the perception, real or not, of scarcity, thereby creating demand and publicity.  By real or not i am referring to Dodge creating the perception it will only be available for 1 year even if they have undisclosed plans to sell for additional years.

hemi-hampton

Quote from: Aero426 on April 12, 2017, 04:35:46 PM
Hellcats are now playing second fiddle.   

And Vipers 3rd fiddle. Now Ford & Chevy will try to outdo the Demon. LEON.

ws23rt

I look forward to what chevy and ford come up with in this rather tight market nitch.
If the government stays out of it --the only limit will be what the buyer can afford to be king on the hill for the day. :nana:

It is somewhat odd ---that many of us in the hobby pay to play with high performance that exceeds this. And those folks understand much about what the general public have things to learn about.  ( I can just hear the salesman giving a pitch to someone with a hand full of money). ;)

So where does this end up?---If a car maker were to offer a top fuel version car that had a warrantee for two passes at the track or 100 miles on the street for 100K --are their enough buyers out there for this? :slap:  Just asking. :lol:

JB400

Honestly, I doubt that Ford or Chevy come out with anything that will be it, under a warrantee. With the Viper gone, they need a new hyper car.  This is it.

RCCDrew

To me, aftermarket cars don't count. What happens when Hennessy tweaks the demon?

NCMopar

Glad they did it, but the modern Challenger just isn't for me. I was so excited when it first came out and went to the D.C. auto show to see it. They made a fatal mistake and placed a '70 beside it on the stand. It looked like the new one was big enough to eat and crap out the original. I've driven a few over the years and they're ok, but nothing I would drop $ on. Matter of fact, seeing the new one made my mind up to go find an original. I bought a '71 and had it for a while.

I love modern performance cars, wife has a C7 Z06 and it's a blast, so it isn't that today's cars can't be interesting. Hopefully the move to the Giulia platform will help knock several hundred pounds off the next gen cars, so they won't have to give it 13 million billion jigawatts in order to make it interesting.

Regards,
John

hemi-hampton

Quote from: RCCDrew on April 19, 2017, 01:12:06 PM
To me, aftermarket cars don't count. What happens when Hennessy tweaks the demon?

Yeah, I agree, There already are aftermarket people making 1,000+ HP Challengers. LEON.

F8-4life

Are they all red or will there be other high impact colors available?

crj1968

Those fender flares look terrible.  IMHO of course....

A12 Superbee

The "largest hood scoop on any factory production car" is debateable....
A12 Dodge Superbee Coupe 4 speed Car number 157 in the A12 Registry.
XBGT Ford Falcon sedan, same model as Max drives in The Roadwarrior, the yellow car he starts off in.
WANT: Triple black 68 or 70 Charger!

ECS

Quote from: A12 Superbee on April 19, 2017, 08:10:11 PM
The "largest hood scoop on any factory production car" is debateable....

It is the "largest" with regards to the area that it covers.  The height of it was not part of the calculation.
TIME WILL INEVITABLY UNCOVER DISHONESTY AND LIES!