News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Time is luck, and now that luck has run out...

Started by myk, April 17, 2018, 12:17:28 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

G-man

Another crash due to stupidity. Would of smashed his phone. Anyone on the phone like that while driving should be put in jail and have their license torn up on the spot.

Thanks for wrecking an iconic car with your phone. :flame:

Kern Dog

Quote from: Mike DC (formerly miked) on May 05, 2018, 04:52:25 PM

Do any of the repro '69 taillight lenses not have the 1970-style backup lenses faintly visible in them?  A few years ago the '69 repops all had that problem. 

The 1969 and 70 cars had separate backup lights in the valance. Do you mean reflectors ?

Daytona R/T SE

Quote from: myk on May 05, 2018, 03:00:30 AM
Wow thanks so much for the information.  So, I don't have to buy the entire assembly, just the lens correct?

Edit: damn, they're backordered...

Some light reading on my experience with the Classic Industries lenses and trim:

http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,116275.0.html

Mopar Nut

Quote from: Kern Dog on May 05, 2018, 09:37:08 PM
Quote from: Mike DC (formerly miked) on May 05, 2018, 04:52:25 PM

Do any of the repro '69 taillight lenses not have the 1970-style backup lenses faintly visible in them?  A few years ago the '69 repops all had that problem.  

The 1969 and 70 cars had separate backup lights in the valance. Do you mean reflectors ?
He's thinking of these lens where the white reflectors were colored red, looked obvious they were a afterthought.
"Dear God, my prayer for 2024 is a fat bank account and a thin body. Please don't mix these up like you did the last ten years."

myk

Quote from: Daytona R/T SE on May 05, 2018, 09:42:48 PM
Quote from: myk on May 05, 2018, 03:00:30 AM
Wow thanks so much for the information.  So, I don't have to buy the entire assembly, just the lens correct?

Edit: damn, they're backordered...

Some light reading on my experience with the Classic Industries lenses and trim:

http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,116275.0.html

What I gleaned from all of that is that the quality of these tail light parts was suspect at one point but has been fixed? Another important piece I read was that all of the various parts houses are selling the same part, from China no less.  Ultimately I don't think I have a choice but to roll the dice with these China  pieces.  Either that or let the car rot in the shop indefinitely, as waiting for OEM will only prove to be cost prohibitive, if not impossible to come by...
"imgur-embed-pub" lang="en" data-id="a/mB3ii4B"><a href="//imgur.com/a/mB3ii4B"></a></blockquote><script async src="//s.imgur.com/min/embed.js"

Kern Dog

Good, clean taillight lenses are often found at the Van Nuys Spring and Fall Fling. I have two rights and a left but I've never looked close enough to see if they are the 69 model without reflectors or the 1970 versions like I'd actually need.

Moparpoolman

Quote from: Mopar Nut on May 05, 2018, 02:29:53 AM
BE&A repop tail lights are missing the argent silver accent stripe painted horizontally across the center of the lens.
I would call BE&A (Mike Ross) and ask if they have the silver on them, BE&A has really nice parts and can't imagine they don't,  Keep in mind the picture you're looking at shows the outside and inside view, that's why the 70 set's reflector is so obvious because you're seeing it from the inside.  They also have the reverse lights.
http://www.beaparts.com/list_items.aspx?body=B&cat=E&subcat=8

myk

I'll hit them up, as the picture doesn't seem to indicate the silver stripe...
"imgur-embed-pub" lang="en" data-id="a/mB3ii4B"><a href="//imgur.com/a/mB3ii4B"></a></blockquote><script async src="//s.imgur.com/min/embed.js"

Mike DC

A missing silver stripe is easily fixed.  The wrong-year reflector being visible is a bigger issue IMO. 

myk

Quote from: Mike DC (formerly miked) on May 06, 2018, 10:15:14 PM

A missing silver stripe is easily fixed.  The wrong-year reflector being visible is a bigger issue IMO. 

Dare I say that I don't mind if the pin stripe is there or not.  Before the accident I was planning on removing the chrome trim as well.  As long as the lens is quality then I'm game... 

BDF

Hey Myk, I'm glad you're ok & your car will be also eventually. I'd look for another shop before it sits there to long. I still haven't resolved my paint shop horror story...
I'll post the story when (if) it ever is and I can think about it without swearing profusely and then getting depressed.

(Expletives deleted)

myk

Quote from: BDF on May 06, 2018, 11:07:17 PM
Hey Myk, I'm glad you're ok & your car will be also eventually. I'd look for another shop before it sits there to long. I still haven't resolved my paint shop horror story...
I'll post the story when (if) it ever is and I can think about it without swearing profusely and then getting depressed.

(Expletives deleted)

I'm sorry to hear that brother.   I've had to visit body shops about 5 times over the years for other cars and each time it was a very unpleasant experience.  I hope you fare well on your situation and would love to hear about it some time.  If Bodie was closer I'd be begging him or his people to take on the job...

garner7555

Quote from: myk on May 06, 2018, 10:37:38 PM

Dare I say that I don't mind if the pin stripe is there or not.  Before the accident I was planning on removing the chrome trim as well.  As long as the lens is quality then I'm game... 

I actually deleted the stripe on my OEM taillights.   I "smoked" my taillights and side marker reflectors.  And the chrome trim you mentioned MYK, I painted mine black.  My look isn't for everyone, but that is what is great about us all being different.
69 Charger 440 resto-mod

Moparpoolman

BE&A Has both 69 and 70, you're referring to the 70's, read my previous post and look at the link
http://www.beaparts.com/list_items.aspx?body=B&cat=E&subcat=8

garner7555

There is a used set of taillights on Facebook for $150 in KY.  They are in the group "B body mopar".   I have a screenshot of the ad but the site will not let me post it.   
69 Charger 440 resto-mod

myk

Quote from: garner7555 on May 07, 2018, 06:13:29 AM
Quote from: myk on May 06, 2018, 10:37:38 PM

A missing silver stripe is easily fixed.  The wrong-year reflector being visible is a bigger issue IMO.  

Dare I say that I don't mind if the pin stripe is there or not.  Before the accident I was planning on removing the chrome trim as well.  As long as the lens is quality then I'm game...  

I actually deleted the stripe on my OEM taillights.   I "smoked" my taillights and side marker reflectors.  And the chrome trim you mentioned MYK, I painted mine black.  My look isn't for everyone, but that is what is great about us all being different.

I LOVE it man, that's a look I could definitely roll with.  I will check with BEA restoration parts and that Facebook ad you mentioned.  Next thing you know I'll be doing the freaking body work myself.

Edit: BEA says that they no longer have the lenses and do not see a restock in the near future.  F**k....

Wingnut426

I have lots of taillights for sale. See my ad in the for sale section. WINGNUT
HEMI Daytona Convertible

myk

I appreciate the heads up, but I need a complete pair of '69 tail light lenses. 

Also, I contacted Hagerty to let them know my concerns about the body shop, in regards to how dirty the car has become, they haven't even touched it and now I'm supposed to be finding parts on my own time, but I have yet to hear anything from Hagerty. I'm thinking I'm probably going to pull the car out, have it towed to my exhaust place,  repair the exhaust,  have the right rear suspension checked out/repaired as necessary, bring her home and then throw a tarp over the car until I can find someone who's going to treat my car and I properly. 

Now that I think about it I should've strangled that kid...

G-man

myk

Question guys: the body shop is asking for the check that Hagerty sent to me.  Aren't these guys supposed to get paid AFTER the work is done?  I feel as if depositing the check and then paying the body shop before the car is done leaves me at a disadvantage; Hagerty will consider this case closed since I took the money and the body shop will already be paid for services that haven't been rendered yet.  What do you guys think?

moparstuart

GO SELL CRAZY SOMEWHERE ELSE WE ARE ALL STOCKED UP HERE

70sixpkrt

Quotedo not pay in advance of the work /quote]

:iagree: x5

440-6pk, 4-speed, Dana 60 with 3:54  
13.01 @107.93 (street tires spinning all the way down)

birdsandbees

How on earth can Hagerty pay out before the work is done? There are always "hidden" damage and extra costs tacked on by body shops above the estimate / quote. Any insurance job I have worked on required the owner to sign off that they were satisfied with the work and they then paid me, not the owner.
1970 'Bird RM23UOA170163
1969 'Bee WM21H9A230241
1969 Dart Swinger LM23P9B190885
1967 Plymouth Barracuda Formula S
1966 Plymouth Satellite HP2 - 9941 original miles
1964 Dodge 440 62422504487

moparstuart

Quote from: birdsandbees on May 15, 2018, 02:42:20 PM
How on earth can Hagerty pay out before the work is done? There are always "hidden" damage and extra costs tacked on by body shops above the estimate / quote. Any insurance job I have worked on required the owner to sign off that they were satisfied with the work and they then paid me, not the owner.
the body shop will file for a supplement and the insurance company will expect it 
GO SELL CRAZY SOMEWHERE ELSE WE ARE ALL STOCKED UP HERE

myk

Quote from: moparstuart on May 15, 2018, 03:34:04 PM
Quote from: birdsandbees on May 15, 2018, 02:42:20 PM
the body shop will file for a supplement and the insurance company will expect it 

That's what both Hagerty and the body shop just told me.  The initial payment is just that, with more money available if it's required.  Of course, the body shop is now saying that the repairs are going to cost at least twice as much as what Hagerty originally appraised the damage at.

Hagerty told me to give the body shop "some" of the money.  I didn't know what to do so I cut a check in the hope I can get this stupid process over with already...