News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Viper motor in a 68-70 - need help from those that did it!

Started by ChargedNJ, October 23, 2018, 09:19:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ChargedNJ

Hey guys. I'm finally ready to pull the trigger on my build. I'm going art Morrison full chassis.  I would have loved to do a 500+cu hemi motor but the cost is just ridiculous. Going v-10 viper is a muuuuch more economical way to get that displacement. However when relaying that to Morrison, they expressed concern over length/oil pan fitment. I don't want to give up on the idea so I'm looking for some help from anyone whose gone this route already. This isn't fantasy land.  I'm ready to go and need some real help! Thanks all!

Nacho-RT74

Make a search... already made it by someone here long time ago
Venezuelan RT 74 400 4bbl, 727, 8.75 3.23 open. Now stroked with 440 crank and 3.55 SG. Here is the History and how is actually: http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,7603.0/all.html
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,25060.0.html

Mytur Binsdirti

At one time a Viper engine was king of HP, but that was then & this is now. The better way to go today with a modern engine would be with a 392 or Hellcat engine. It'll be a heck of a lot easier to fit in than a V10.

JR

You maybe in uncharted territory here with the Art Morrison chassis.

There are a handful of viper powered 2nd gens here on this site, but they all either used modified stock or aftermarket k frame, or custom built from scratch front subframe I believe. I don't remember seeing one with a full chassis swap and v10.

Are you sure you don't want to hit the easy button here and use a modern 392 hemi or equivalent?

70 Charger RT top bananna /68 Charger RT triple green

303 Mopar

Quote from: Mytur Binsdirti on October 24, 2018, 05:53:44 AM
At one time a Viper engine was king of HP, but that was then & this is now. The better way to go today with a modern engine would be with a 392 or Hellcat engine. It'll be a heck of a lot easier to fit in than a V10.

I agree, plenty who have done a 392 or Hellcat (including me) in a classic Mopar. You can also wait to see what Mopar announces next week at SEMA.
1968 Charger - 1970 Cuda - 1969 Sport Satellite Convertible

GT

Agree with the statements above.   My v10 Charger has been in storage the last 2 years, hopefully I can get back on it in spring.
When i went this route, the 392 and hellcat engines were not available.

You would economically be FAR ahead by buying a hellcat crate engine/controller/etc. vs. the v10.   Going v10, you will be on your own for everything - all custom (exhaust, engine controllers, engine mounts, etc. - and you better be a wizard with electricals/electronics).

I can not speak to Art Morrison stuff - other than I hear it is good.

I used an Alterkation front end.  The V10 will fit, but you have to cut your firewall (your likely going to need to cut the trans tunnel and trans/tbar support area with any of the above options.  The v10 is about 8-10" longer than a v8...

Here is my stalled build:  http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,30342.0.html

That being said, if you want to go down the route i will be happy to answer questions.
1970 Dodge Charger ==> V10
2012 Charger SRT8

RallyeMike

These guys are premier custom chassis builders. Modifying the chassis to accomodate a certain oil pan should be well within their capability.  :shruggy:
1969 Charger 500 #232008
1972 Charger, Grand Sport #41
1973 Charger "T/A"

Drive as fast as you want to on a public road! Click here for info: http://www.sscc.us/

Stevearino

Check out what is available from these guys. Everything has been sorted and ready for drop in .https://www.clevelandpap.com/product-category/engine-packages/

WHITE AND RED 69

1969 Dodge Charger R/T
2016 Jeep Grand Cherokee 75th edition
1999 Jeep Grand Cherokee
1972 Plymouth Duster

Stevearino

ChargedNJ

Thanks guys. Seems like AM just not interested in doing anything custom and they're not hurting for customers, so from a business standpoint, I get it. Roadster shop was more accommodating with a solve (routing the rack underneath I think), so should be good.  In regards to the 392, obviously a great option but a solid used gen3 v-10 is a great way to get a ton of naturally aspirated displacement with room to add on from there. This is a pretty custom build and the floor has to come out for the frame anyway, so lots of floor work has to get done anyway (trans tunnel). I know this is going to be tough, but nothing good comes easy and I have a good builder on board.

ChargedNJ

GT, wow. I have to read some more of your thread when I get out of work (on pg 2 and impressed), surprised to hear of stall. I'll email you if that's ok.

ChargedNJ

Omg GT, I just read the whole thread. That was so compelling and truly impressive/inspiring.

Mytur Binsdirti

I can appreciate the craftsmanship, but the car, as pictured, is fugly.