News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Will Electric Cars Outsell Internal Combustion

Started by Ghoste, October 09, 2019, 06:26:35 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

How Long Before Electric Cars Dominate The Market

Five Years
Ten Years
Fifteen Years
More Than Fifteen
Never

Mytur Binsdirti

Quote from: Lennard on December 04, 2019, 07:17:53 PM
Quote from: Ponch ® on December 04, 2019, 02:57:53 PM

too late. we're already taking over.
Who the fuck is we?

The quote below & rainbow rebel flag avatar might very well be a not to subtle hint.   

Quote from: Ponch ® on November 20, 2019, 11:59:27 AM
I'm an elitist libtard homo

Lennard

Ghoste

I wonder if the topic has proven that electric cars have little to do with market demand and a great deal to do with politics?

Mytur Binsdirti

Quote from: Ghoste on December 05, 2019, 06:28:05 AM
I wonder if the topic has proven that electric cars have little to do with market demand and a great deal to do with politics?

They are actually welfare-mobiles. Without government subsidies for hybrid & electric cars, they wouldn't be where they are today. Add to that, full electric cars are not paying any road tax at all.

BSB67

Not sure if you're joking or serious.

My son is a Penn State business school grad.  Several years ago when he was still attending, we were discussing one of his classes and started discussing the "supply and demand" economic model.  He said that they discussed briefly how that model used to work.  He said that "old" model no longer works and is no longer taught because of the level of government meddling that drastically skews the "old" model.

500" NA, Eddy head, pump gas, exhaust manifold with 2 1/2 exhaust with tailpipes
4150 lbs with driver, 3.23 gear, stock converter
11.68 @ 120.2 mph

BSB67

Quote from: Mytur Binsdirti on December 05, 2019, 06:57:28 AM

They are actually welfare-mobiles. Without government subsidies for hybrid & electric cars, they wouldn't be where they are today. Add to that, full electric cars are not paying any road tax at all.

It will be fun (and likely depressing) to watch how the feds and states start taxing EVs  

People like to complain about the cost of gasoline, and the petro companies screwing everyone, but consider for a movement that Pennsylvania make 2x to 3x what Exxon makes on a gallon of gasoline.  The state alone will have to recover the billions of $ in lost gasoline tax revenue somehow.

500" NA, Eddy head, pump gas, exhaust manifold with 2 1/2 exhaust with tailpipes
11.68 @ 120.2 mph

alfaitalia

Quote from: Mytur Binsdirti on December 05, 2019, 06:57:28 AM

EVs pay tax over here....why not? ...they wear out the road as much as any other vehicle!!
If at first you don't succeed, skydiving is not for you !!

Mytur Binsdirti

Quote from: alfaitalia on December 05, 2019, 07:42:39 AM

EVs pay tax over here....why not? ...they wear out the road as much as any other vehicle!!

And that's a good thing. If/when they do tax them here, they should all be taxed retroactively.

Mike DC

The US govt would probably tax EVs per miles driven to simulate gasoline taxes.  That means they are checking your odometer regularly and it's tax fraud if they think you messed with it.  Big Brother, here we come.      

alfaitalia

Why do anything so elaborate....just tax it at the charging point.
If at first you don't succeed, skydiving is not for you !!

tan top

I know i'm deviating  from the original topic , but all this push for electric cars , has anyone government ? tree huggers ? eco people ? recycling fanatics and .....  thought about
all the millions  of miles travelled by  Jet planes &  the pollution they produce with the  tones &  tones of  Jet fuel they burn while every minute they are in the air  or even idling  or what ever the terminology is in aircraft speak  :P surly its double standards , internal combustion engines are the devils creation & jet air craft are well ...
maybe they might start inventing battery powered  jet aeroplanes  ;)
Feel free to post any relevant picture you think we all might like to see in the threads below!

Charger Stuff 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,86777.0.html
Chargers in the background where you least expect them 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,97261.0.html
C500 & Daytonas & Superbirds
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,95432.0.html
Interesting pictures & Stuff 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,109484.925.html
Old Dodge dealer photos wanted
 http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,120850.0.html

Mytur Binsdirti

Quote from: tan top on December 05, 2019, 09:05:59 AM
I know i'm deviating  from the original topic , but all this push for electric cars , has anyone government ? tree huggers ? eco people ? recycling fanatics and .....  thought about
all the millions  of miles travelled by  Jet planes &  the pollution they produce with the  tones &  tones of  Jet fuel they burn while every minute they are in the air  or even idling  or what ever the terminology is in aircraft speak  :P surly its double standards , internal combustion engines are the devils creation & jet air craft are well ...

Can't forget about boats, military vehicles, farming & home heating for homes and petroleum that goes into manufacturing such things as plastics.

Another discussion that could be had would be about the environmental impact of mining for rare earth metals needed for electric motors, generator magnets & batteries. When you look at total production, electric vehicles are anything but "clean".

Mike DC

QuoteWhy do anything so elaborate....just tax it at the charging point.

1.  People will want to plug them up at home, etc.  

2.  Govt loves to control/monitor their citizens by default.  They always drift in that direction whether it's conscious or unconscious.

QuoteI know i'm deviating  from the original topic , but all this push for electric cars , has anyone government ? tree huggers ? eco people ? recycling fanatics and .....  thought about
all the millions  of miles travelled by  Jet planes &  the pollution they produce with the  tones &  tones of  Jet fuel they burn while every minute they are in the air  or even idling  or what ever the terminology is in aircraft speak  Tongue surly its double standards , internal combustion engines are the devils creation & jet air craft are well ...
maybe they might start inventing battery powered  jet aeroplanes  

Aircraft have to be lightweight.  That means they need the energy density of fossil fuels to do long trips.  

It takes hundred of pounds of batteries to carry as much raw energy as a couple gallons of gas.  Gasoline is 6 lbs per gallon.  

timmycharger

Great example of this..

https://www.motorsportmagazine.com/news/f1/lewis-hamilton-become-carbon-neutral-f1-plans-cut-environmental-impact

Not knocking F1, been watching for 30 years but really? this guy flies around the world for races, nevermind the team with the cars, equipment, etc...

talk about double standards...

Mytur Binsdirti

Quote from: timmycharger on December 05, 2019, 09:41:12 AM

Great example of this..

https://www.motorsportmagazine.com/news/f1/lewis-hamilton-become-carbon-neutral-f1-plans-cut-environmental-impact

Not knocking F1, been watching for 30 years but really? this guy flies around the world for races, nevermind the team with the cars, equipment, etc...

talk about double standards...

So many high profile greenies are of the "do as I say, not as I do" mindset.

Challenger340

I don't believe it is "when" or "if" Electric vehicles take over.... as much as I do believe Carbon "pricing" will dominate globally, as we see the effect of climate change become more and more severe and begin to reduce ghg emissions.

Not going to get into whether anyone does or doesn't believe in man-made climate change from burning Fossil Fuels.... that's your choice to believe whatever you want I guess ?
same as it is my choice to believe what I wish....
based on living rurally here in Canada and seeing the effects first hand, and happening much faster than any "predictions" I've seen ?

Anyways,
I believe Carbon Pricing will eventually relegate Fossil Fuels as too expensive, both from a monetary and carbon/climate based perspective as ghg Emissions aren't "free" anymore ?
with sub-1 litre internal combustion commuter box engines supplementing primarily Electric drive trains in Vehicles, especially in under 100 mile commuter ranges.

The Electric Technology is here, and IMO will eventually dominate.
https://www.bbc.com/news/technology-50460241
Only wimps wear Bowties !

charger_fan_4ever

Here in Quebecstan the electric cars are getting popular. The Quebec government are talking about imposing a road tax on all vehicles for miles driven per year. They say they will remove it from the tax at the pump(YA RIGHT)
Didnt say the motivation behind this but im sure they are predicting too many electric cars and a loss of tax money.

Be a longgggggggg time for me before id even consider an electric car. Considering the Tesla model 3 is supposedly the high end mobile.

Here is a test at -18C on a fill charge 120 miles with 50 miles remaining estimated. The guy said he figured actually 20 left as the car was saying 260 miles estimated from the get go. This is on a new car. Imagine 3-5 years old after 100's of charges. Range progably be less than 50 miles in the cold.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GrEeWAqEMAU&t=4s

BSB67

11.68 @ 120.2 mph

timmycharger

Quote from: BSB67 on December 05, 2019, 01:13:43 PM
A double standard of what?

I reference the double standard that an elite F1 driver has where on one hand, he preaches on twitter about being vegan and banning plastic and going carbon neutral and then jumps in his private plane to race around the world along with his team and the equipment burning ridiculous amounts of fuel. 

If he was so worried about being carbon neutral, shouldn't he quit being an F1 driver and forfeit his multi million dollar contract?

Is that the wrong use of the term double standard?

Mytur Binsdirti

Quote from: Challenger340 on December 05, 2019, 11:13:48 AM
I don't believe it is "when" or "if" Electric vehicles take over.... as much as I do believe Carbon "pricing" will dominate globally, as we see the effect of climate change become more and more severe and begin to reduce ghg emissions.

Not going to get into whether anyone does or doesn't believe in man-made climate change from burning Fossil Fuels.... that's your choice to believe whatever you want I guess ?
same as it is my choice to believe what I wish....
based on living rurally here in Canada and seeing the effects first hand, and happening much faster than any "predictions" I've seen ?

Anyways,
I believe Carbon Pricing will eventually relegate Fossil Fuels as too expensive, both from a monetary and carbon/climate based perspective as ghg Emissions aren't "free" anymore ?
with sub-1 litre internal combustion commuter box engines supplementing primarily Electric drive trains in Vehicles, especially in under 100 mile commuter ranges.

The Electric Technology is here, and IMO will eventually dominate.
https://www.bbc.com/news/technology-50460241

Carbon pricing is just a made up new way to tax. If the burning of fossil fuels is so bad, what else besides cars is going to be hit with carbon pricing? Just wait till you go out to dinner and get hit with a carbon tax for your cooked meal and the heat in the restaurant.    ::)

BSB67

Quote from: timmycharger on December 05, 2019, 01:17:56 PM
Quote from: BSB67 on December 05, 2019, 01:13:43 PM
A double standard of what?

I reference the double standard that an elite F1 driver has where on one hand, he preaches on twitter about being vegan and banning plastic and going carbon neutral and then jumps in his private plane to race around the world along with his team and the equipment burning ridiculous amounts of fuel. 

If he was so worried about being carbon neutral, shouldn't he quit being an F1 driver and forfeit his multi million dollar contract?

Is that the wrong use of the term double standard?

To tan top.

11.68 @ 120.2 mph

Mike DC

IIRC the US miltiary burns more carbon than any other organization/industry on earth.  The cleanup effort isn't real until they are making significant cuts. 

Mytur Binsdirti

Quote from: Mike DC (formerly miked) on December 05, 2019, 01:29:47 PM

IIRC the US miltiary burns more carbon than any other organization/industry on earth.  The cleanup effort isn't real until they are making significant cuts. 

And the efforts of the military, and the whole United States won't mean anything if the world's biggest polluters don't clean themselves up.

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/travel/maps-and-graphics/most-polluted-countries/

ACUDANUT

Quote from: Mytur Binsdirti on December 05, 2019, 01:38:21 PM
Quote from: Mike DC (formerly miked) on December 05, 2019, 01:29:47 PM

And the efforts of the military, and the whole United States won't mean anything if the world's biggest polluters don't clean themselves up.

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/travel/maps-and-graphics/most-polluted-countries/

China and Russia are the dirtiest.  When it comes to human waste in the Ocean, Mexico must come in first.

70 sublime

:2thumbs:
Canada is #6 on the list for cleanest air  :yesnod: :yesnod:

Australia - average PM 2.5 concentration: 5.7
Brunei - 6.6
New Zealand - 6.8
Estonia - 7.2
Finland - 7.3
Canada - 7.5
Iceland - 8.2
Sweden - 8.7
Ireland - 8.8