News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

What will it take to own a wing car ??

Started by 70 sublime, November 06, 2019, 09:39:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

70 sublime

Well my birthday is coming up in less than a week and I will be turning 55
I have always been a Daytona fan and always will be
Have rounded up most of the parts to convert my 69 Charger into a clone as a real one is just too much $$ at the moment for me
Which I will get done and enjoy for now

BUT

I will be retiring from dairy farming in as soon as 5 years and not more than 10 years from now
My family does not want to take over the animals so they will be gone and I will just plant crops and down size accordingly
So at that time I should have a chunk of cash to play with
Forum member Taxspeaker is my idol  :2thumbs:
He is playing with his money

So from now till I officially retire I have some time to wrap my head around a cash number to become a real wing car owner 
And break it to the wife that this is a good idea  :icon_smile_big:
We have been married 32 years and she has always been supportive of my toy cars along the way

If I retired today what kind of number would I be looking at to own a 1969 Daytona ?
A fixer upper vs a driver ?
Is there many fixer uppers left ?

$100 000 is a big round number would that do it ?
Yes we will talk US funds as I am in Canada and the odds are I will have to go to the States to get one

No offence but not really interested in getting a Bird wing
Might consider a 1969 500 as a stepping stone

next project 70 Charger FJ5 green

70 sublime

My father is now 78 and starting to slow down
He has a nice red 1957 Chev convertible all fixed up he drives

A Daytona is not the car I want to be buried in when I croak so I would like to enjoy it till I am 75 ( hopefully) and still have my wits about me to sell it to the next owner and watch them enjoy it
Have fun while I can and hope for the best  

This Daytona did not sell

Starting bid:US $139,500.00
Approximately C $183,561.09
[ 0 bids ]

https://www.ebay.ca/itm/1969-Dodge-Charger-Daytona-/254402286558?_trksid=p2047675.m43663.l44720&nordt=true&rt=nc&orig_cvip=true

Mytur Binsdirti

Quote from: 70 sublime on November 06, 2019, 09:39:54 PM

If I retired today what kind of number would I be looking at to own a 1969 Daytona ?

This should just about cover it.

aerolith

Great topic Sublime.

Predicting the future of rare Mopars is a tricky one indeed?
Back in the early 90's Folks were panicking about their expensive cars and 'off-loading' them in double quick time!
Who can say that this won't happen again with a 'worldwide' meltdown... :scratchchin:
Would you want to invest $150,000 in something so trivial a 'Wingcar' that may be almost worthless in ten years time?
Most rich Folks don't care about car values, as they have the 'money to lose' so they say.
Its always been the 'bug-bear' of real mopar folks when it comes to pricing.

Yep a C500 is much rarer than a Daytona and the thousand plus Superbirds at a fraction of the price too... :nana:
If you wanna drive your Aero for the foreseeable future at a price you can realistically afford without upsetting the 'good-wife' then its a NO BRAINER!
CHARGER 500 with a four speed... :cheers: :popcrn: :drool5: :2thumbs: :coolgleamA: :smilielol:
Never send to know, for whom the bell tolls,
IT TOLLS FOR THEE...

John Donne 1623

aerolith

OR this at $90,000... :slap:

They wore the tires down real small with loads of miles around :brickwall: :RantExplode: :shruggy: Dega...
Never send to know, for whom the bell tolls,
IT TOLLS FOR THEE...

John Donne 1623

held1823

keith offered the best deal around on one. the listing is still up here, but someone said it had been sold?

http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,135858.0.html
Ernie Helderbrand
XX29L9B409053

62 Max

Mytur Binsdirti

Birdflu

Quote from: aerolith on November 07, 2019, 04:56:36 AM
OR this at $90,000... :slap:

They wore the tires down real small with loads of miles around :brickwall: :RantExplode: :shruggy: Dega...

Ugh! That's horrible!  :o

73chgrSE

You could just get this. :icon_smile_big:

70 sublime

Quote from: held1823 on November 07, 2019, 08:08:33 AM
keith offered the best deal around on one. the listing is still up here, but someone said it had been sold?

http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,135858.0.html

That does look interesting  :2thumbs:
Now where is it going to be in 5 years  :brickwall:

Aero426

Quote from: 70 sublime on November 07, 2019, 09:55:12 AM

That does look interesting  :2thumbs:
Now where is it going to be in 5 years  :brickwall:

Your guess is as good as ours.    No one knows what the economy will be like in five years.   Prices have been riding high for a long time now.   But nothing lasts forever.   You can see some nice cars up for grabs now as owners quietly move toward the exits.    There will be more of this in the coming years. 

Will a Daytona cost more in 2024?     Probably not.
Will a Daytona cost less in 2024?    Maybe
Will a Daytona cost about the same?    With less than 500 examples available,  I think this is the most likely scenario, especially for driver grade cars.  

I do not see Daytonas in running and driving condition at $100k, even with a recession.  

chargervert

Quote from: Mytur Binsdirti on November 07, 2019, 04:23:53 AM
Quote from: 70 sublime on November 06, 2019, 09:39:54 PM

This should just about cover it.

There he goes ag,wheeling more stacks of cash out to his garage!

Beep Beep Dave

Well if you got a running and driving car for $150,000 USD, by the time you convert that to Canadian and pay your taxes you are looking at $225,000 or a cool quarter of a million bucks...that keeps me out. From what I can tell wing cars have outpaced the rest of the Mopar market in say the last 10-15 years.

Dave

'69-1/2 SIXPACK/SIXBBL REGISTRY On-Line Registry for the Lift Off Hood cars!!!
Maple Leaf Mopars your Canadian Mopar site.

1970 Charger R/T

chargervert

Prior to 2008 it was the E bodies that brought the really strong money, they have come down from their very over inflated values,and wing cars and second generation Chargers seem to be the high water mark this time around.  The time to buy a wingcar will be when the next market correction occurs.

gtx6970

Daytonas are an anomaly/ The costs to get one as a project are much higher percentage wise compared to a done car .

I honestly think a project will set you back in the  $80k to $100K range .  Where as you might be able to get into a decent done car for $175K range

I may be off a little money wise ,,,,but doubt its much

Montreal Wing Car

I know for a fact that the automatic 440 ''Beater'' Daytona from Quebec that was recently bought in Massachussets and was at the reunion in October cost the new owner 120K US... and he shopped a lot before pulling the trigger on that one. Original drivetrain included in the deal, was not running/driving when he got it, interior needs complete replacement, body needs repairs, not necessarely complete replacement, but still a project. By the time he had it in his driveway, total cost was 160K Canadian...
Maybe someone can post pics?

Ben

held1823

Quote from: Montreal Wing Car on November 13, 2019, 04:31:00 PM
I know for a fact that the automatic 440 ''Beater'' Daytona from Quebec that was recently bought in Massachussets and was at the reunion in October cost the new owner 120K US... and he shopped a lot before pulling the trigger on that one. Original drivetrain included in the deal, was not running/driving when he got it, interior needs complete replacement, body needs repairs, not necessarely complete replacement, but still a project. By the time he had it in his driveway, total cost was 160K Canadian...
Maybe someone can post pics?

Ben
Ernie Helderbrand
XX29L9B409053

moparstuart

cool car  , id drive the hell out of it  but im not sure at that cost    :icon_smile_big:
GO SELL CRAZY SOMEWHERE ELSE WE ARE ALL STOCKED UP HERE

rainbow4jd

You ask an interesting question but I'd like to answer in terms of the stock market as ESSENTIALLY you're asking about the future price of a commodity or investment

1.  There is a fixed supply and you could argue a declining supply with such acts of fate as fires, wrecks, and theft (for parts)

2. Demand is based on subjective preferences of nostalgia, rarity, enjoyment, upkeep, and cultural opinion (I.e. if the millennials vote to remove gas powered cars from the road in 20 years from now) along with disposable income

3.  As the economy moves up and down prices move as well.  Historically the rarest cars (options or eye appeal) are most protected from a poor economy.  That is a Hemi Bird will still go up in value but at a slower rate in declining economy.   A clone or less rare / desirable vehicle may well decrease ( but likely not less than the prior decrease during the last recession).  Thus, a car bought for $50k in the recession of 2005 is a deal in the recession of 2024 at $100k.  It's all relative to the gains made during the good times

4. Now you start to bring in a individuals - those who own cars now

a) investors who buy and sell cars for profit and loss.  Their goal is to buy low and sell high.  OR dump a car to buy something else that will increase more.   In other words, they'll take a 20k loss and a car that's peaked to buy another car that's on its way up.  If you net the loss of one against the loss of the other they are ahead.  Some invest in the low end cars to flip, others in the high end.  Historically high end cars have less downside risk, but are more difficult to find buyers for.  These are high ticket cars sold amongst deep pocket owners

b) true collectors who enjoy the cars.  Some collect trailer queens, some collect daily drivers.   For the most part these are "keeper cars" until a lifestyle issue triggers the sale or they upgrade

5. What DO you want and why?   It sounds like you want to be a keeper.   So you need to go meet current keepers and start building relationships.  Your goal is to buy a car without it ever being publicly for sale

a) if you want a clone $50 $75k will probably buy you a car that only the VIN would show as not original

b) if you want a real fixer upper $75k to $125k in my opinion.  The higher the less you need to fix

c) will look good for five more years cars start at $125, then figure in 5 years you'll need to invest another $25 to keep it in the current state

d) trailer queens $150 for least rare then up to $300 for really rare (like Corporate Blue Birds) and $500 for ultra rare 1 of 1 kind of cars at Concours level quality.  (See David Spade)

In the trailer queen cars - quality of restoration is everything.  Better restored cars bring more money than poorly restored rarer cars    (Excludes ultra rare  1 of 1 type cars)

So, a very long winded reply but a fair assessment of the future.   You'll pay more for more car     You'll pay less for a lesser car.  But in every case you'll pay more than today for any decent car.   Which brings me to this advice....

You'll never pay too much for the car you really want, all you'll do is but it too soon.    If you wait long enough the market will come to you.   You may never make money on resale but you'll have a helluva lot of fun

chargervert

That 440 beater Daytona was a local car to me. Personally I think that you are better off to continue building your clone that you can drive and enjoy the crap out of,and save your money for your retirement!

stripedelete

ACUDANUT

I believe the cost will go down. Only people in their 50's plus love these cars on a average. And we are all getting closer to 6 feet down. Actually, did you know the top of any vault is only 3 feet deep. :brickwall:
Anyway, I don't know how you have any time for cars if your milking twice a day. Plus your other chores, i.e. plowing, planting, haying, feeding, mowing and the list go's on and on.

70 sublime

In my opening remarks I am not trying to predict what these cars will be worth 5 to 10 years from now
I was more trying to get an idea what price they start at now with the goal of having the cash 5 to 10 years from now

The pictures of the red one just posted if fully what I would expect to start with
So the number is looking like $100 to $150 000 to find something

As for my clone project yes I hope to get it done and drive it before I come across the real deal
Part of my thought process on that is everyone will know the idiot on the edge of town with a wing car and get their oh's and aw's out of their system
Then one spring I will just start driving one a different colour ( or maybe the same colour :) ) with a lot less grief

Hey it is always good to have a dream  :2thumbs:
If you do not have a direction to go you will never get anywhere