News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Sell as is or finish it then sell?

Started by jdiesel33, July 19, 2020, 12:15:19 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

jdiesel33

Unfortunately, i need to look at selling my '68 Charger. It is unfinished, so my question is does it make more sense to sell as is, or put whatever money in it that it takes to finish it, then sell it. Im assuming I can sell for a lot more when its finished to more than make up for the additional money I would put into it to finish it, but wanted to get you guys opinion/confirmation on that. I dont have any pics at this point to post, but should be able to in a week or 2. I would say this is a mid level resto so far. Almost all of the work I have had done was done about 6-7 yrs ago and it has just been sitting ever since.

1968 Charger RT
Numbers matching
96K orig miles
Orig PP1 red, new Sublime Paint job
White Interior
Rebuilt 440 bored .40 over (no miles on it yet)
Rebuilt 727 tranny (no miles on it yet)
Very straight body
New floor and trunk pans
New driver side quarter panel
New, bigger carb
New Dougs Headers
New Disc Brakes on front, redid drums on back
New Suspension
New black vinyl top
New bumble bee stripes on tail
New upholstery,carpets, headliner
Refurbed Heater Box
Most new chrome trim
A/C

What still needs to be done:
Interior installed and any refurb/reconditioning done to any interior/dash components. Instrument cluster and dash face already done.
Exhaust
New wheels and tires
Front end and back end installed and any refurb/reconditioning done (bumpers, grill, headlights, tailights, etc)
All glass put back in
A/C redone
Any repairs/cleaning/adjustments due to sitting for 7 years

I think I have covered everything there, please let me know if I left anything out that you guys need to know.

Based on prices I have seen and people I have talked to, Im thinking finished would go for somewhere in the 60k-70K range? Does that sound right?
That said, I have no idea what it would sell for in its current unfinished condition. Thoughts?

I know its more difficult without pics and I'm just looking for ballpark numbers. Any guidance is appreciated.

And if it does make more sense to go ahead and finish it, looking for referrals to someone in the Dallas/FTW/Denton area that is reasonable, reliable, and does good work.

Thanks so much.
1968 Dodge Charger R/T
PP1,Black Hat, Black Stripes

6bblgt

my  :Twocents:

you will get .50 or less for every $1 you spend paying someone else to finish the car

Mopar Nut

I would sell it as is, you'll lose money finishing it.

:Twocents:
"Dear God, my prayer for 2024 is a fat bank account and a thin body. Please don't mix these up like you did the last ten years."

70 sublime

Try selling it as is first and if you do not like what you are getting offered then figure out how much cash it is going to cost you to get it done to sell
I like the colour you have chosen but being a newer colour than what could have come on the car might narrow down the potential buyers
Won't know till you try
next project 70 Charger FJ5 green

Mike DC

Solid complete 2nd-gen projects are in higher demand than finished cars.  

Daytona R/T SE

Organize and label all the parts you have to go with it, take pictures of everything, put it on eBay with a reserve you can live with and let it go.

Whatever work you do to it now, or have done in the past, chances are the new owner will redo it all any way.

Just like selling an old house that you've spent thousands of dollars for new cabinets, carpet, etc...You drive by the week after you sell it and everything is tossed in a dumpster out by the street.

The color change to lime green will drastically limit the number of interested buyers.  :Twocents:

Sell it as is and move on...

Nacho-RT74

Per your description and considering you haven't finished in last 7 years I don't think you will make it anytime soon to sell it. Unless you pay for it and want to get the satisfaction about finish it no matter how much money you win... or loose on the sale.

I'd usually vote for finish and sell it, but not per what you described
Venezuelan RT 74 400 4bbl, 727, 8.75 3.23 open. Now stroked with 440 crank and 3.55 SG. Here is the History and how is actually: http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,7603.0/all.html
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,25060.0.html

hemi-hampton

Who ever buys it may want to return it to the original Red Color. That would be easier to do now then if put back together :scratchchin: :shruggy: :Twocents:

Kern Dog

Quote from: hemi-hampton on July 19, 2020, 01:19:54 PM
Who ever buys it may want to return it to the original Red Color. That would be easier to do now then if put back together :scratchchin: :shruggy: :Twocents:

I agree. The high impact colors on pre '70 cars is a pet peeve to many. Changing color on a car that was already a desirable color turns off people as well.

gtx6970

Color change will hurt it dramatically, UNLESS you find a buyer who is in love with the color youve changed it to, not an easy task.

If you pay someone to finish it, you will lose bigtime. IMO

Try to sell as is and see what it gets you. Odds are the color change is going to hurt , again my  :Twocents:

jdiesel33

Wow, didnt realize the color would be such a hindrance. Wont bore everyone with why it is green(wasnt my choice) or why it has been sitting so long without being finished. Both long stories.

Thanks for all the input. I guess I will just put it up for sale like suggested, no idea what price to even start at though  :scratchchin: :shruggy:

Thanks again
1968 Dodge Charger R/T

chargervert

The car has a lot going for it,being a numbers matching 68 R/T,but as stated the color change is not a plus. I don't see an incorrectly painted automatic car bringing over 50 even if it was done. If you are looking for the number you are saying,you are going to have to repaint the car back to the correct color,and finish the restoration to a very high level.

jdiesel33

Quote from: jdiesel33 on July 19, 2020, 02:39:23 PM
Wow, didnt realize the color would be such a hindrance. Wont bore everyone with why it is green(wasnt my choice) or why it has been sitting so long without being finished. Both long stories.

Thanks for all the input. I guess I will just put it up for sale like suggested, no idea what price to even start at though  :scratchchin: :shruggy:

Thanks again
1968 Dodge Charger R/T

70 sublime

OK I will ask since I do like the green colour but never seems right on the older 68 69 Chargers
Why did you choose green ?
next project 70 Charger FJ5 green

Finoke

Big plus that it's painted. That's the hardest thing for most hobbyist. Getting it through a body and paint shop.

Mike DC

QuoteBig plus that it's painted. That's the hardest thing for most hobbyist. Getting it through a body and paint shop.

That depends whether the buyer trusts the work under the paint.

The struggle/expense for most hobbyists is getting a straight solid metal body.   

b5blue

Get Gas Monkey Garage to finish it and make a show about how you both fixed and sold it as a team effort.  :scratchchin: (They are near you in Dallas.)

HeavyFuel

Quote from: hemi-hampton on July 19, 2020, 01:19:54 PM

Exactly what I was thinking.

70B5Cuda

Quote from: b5blue on July 20, 2020, 11:28:04 AM
Get Gas Monkey Garage to finish it and make a show about how you both fixed and sold it as a team effort.  :scratchchin: (They are near you in Dallas.)

Gas Monkey will offer you $10k, slap it together, sell it for stupid money (because the buyer just wants to be on TV and rub shoulders with them) and then they will brag about how cheap they bought it for and how much they sold it for...the formula is so annoying
1968 Roadrunner-6.1L, 6 speed, 3.91 Getrag, IRS
1968 Charger- 6.1L, TR-6060, 9"
1968 Charger in RR1 "Ribeye"
1969 Charger in EW1 "S'more"
1969 Charger Survivor-R6, 383, 727.....WRECKED
1970 Barracuda-6.1L, 6 speed, 4.10 S60

b5blue

No I said partner, not sell. (Now even if they lied to the cameras who cares.)

Wasco

SO very sick of people mentioning those shows.

What if the color had been changed to another 1968 color?  I understand the whole R/T thing factors in, but is it as big a deal to change colors if it's another 1968 color?

I'd have to agree you might have done better selling it as a project before paint, because the kids who would be interested because of the current color can't usually turn a wrench, but seem to have money........it all comes down to "there's an ass for every seat".  Ask (nearly) crazy money for it - someone from Saudi Arabia (or Florida) will buy it, pay a mint to have it finished and shipped.  Nothing beats a '68 Charger.  And buyers seem to get real stupid when that XS code is in play.

gtx6970

Quote from: Wasco on July 24, 2020, 04:21:57 PM

What if the color had been changed to another 1968 color?  I understand the whole R/T thing factors in, but is it as big a deal to change colors if it's another 1968 color?

IMO it makes a SLIGHT difference if it was a color avail the year of production, But at that its REALLY SLIGHT difference.

I do agree with you on th eass for every seat comment. Problem is finding said ass that likes said seat AND is willing or able to spend the coin

Im of the thought , DONT change anything that cant be changed back in a weekend .