News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Disassembled Superbird on auction

Started by oldcarnut, February 24, 2022, 08:22:28 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

oldcarnut

I might could afford but the reality is I already have a clone project I can't seem to get time to finish so I'll share it..
https://www.auctionzip.com/Listings/3646805.html

The auctioneer had sent it to me in an email

Mytur Binsdirti

When I click the link, all I see is a rifle.

timmycharger

click on that little blue link above the rifle pics  :Twocents:

6bblgt

C_B5

Looks to a good project bird.

As with most birds figure it's probably a known car that's been off the radar. 
Does anyone have more details / history on the car ?

Pinballjim

I have some information on this car. 

The story goes the owner took the car off the road in or around 1980 and began restoration.  He got as far as the pictures show and passed away.  The owners wife was going to continue the restoration (presumably as a tribute to her husband) but she too, passed away.  The son has it now and is ready to let it go to a new home.  Recently, a friend of a friend of mine went to look at it.  He reported that the car is spread all over the garage.  He said it would be difficult to know if all the parts were there and unknown if what is there is actually useable. 

It's not far from me and I am VERY interested in learning the outcome of the sale.  I have no interest in buying the car.  I've been searching for a Superbird but I don't want to get into a project.  I hope someone rescues this car.  It would be neat to see it's progress.   In the meantime, if anyone out there has a Superbird they want to liquidate, CONTACT ME!!!!!

oldcarnut

This is what was emailed to me
I have a 1970 Superbird that will be up for sale on March 5th this is a car that has only three owners and all the same family . This is a complete car tha is in the restoration process. If interested my contact is
Robert Reinhardt
570 856-4666
auction@ptd.net
Auctioneer license #Au5161

This is an auction . The car is sold as is. This is a one family owned car , passed from grandfather to son to grandson . Has all numbers matching parts . Build sheet included

C_B5

Thanks for the info. Good background to have on the car.

Others have probably already done this but checking out the additional pictures in the auction there's one of door VIN sticker.
The VIN is listed as car number 751 on the official Plymouth Superbird list.
Received / Shipped Nov 24, 1969

wyliemn71

I talked with the auctioneer and the son, it was a car driven on the snowy icy roads and has been rusty, I was told the rear rails trunk pan (2 pc) were replaced and floors were patched with some repairs still left to be made on the floors, has had quarters, doors and fenders, cone has some rust also I was told. They said all parts are there just have to find them. looks like it had bucket seats and column auto from, parts hanging In the background. engine has open and full of debri from pics. definately not for the faint of heart.

mopar4ya

So, anyone know what the car sold for??

Impkidd

We'll, after 42 years of wanting a Superbird, I bought this one today! So now I can learn every nut and bolt of it to bring it back to its former glory as best that I can. I recently semi-retired and will have more spare time, and I'll need lots of advice as I go. I'll probably start it's own thread asking for your help. Thanks in advance. Rob.

JB400

Pinballjim

Way to go Rob.   Now stop posting on car forums and get to work!!!!!!     Congratulations!!   Very happy for you!!!

taxspeaker

Congratulations Rob, i know you have been looking a long time. Start slowly with a detailed inventory that you write down, and ask for
r help when needed.enjoy the dream!

6PakBee

There are few things as satisfying as achieving a life-long goal!  :2thumbs:

mopar4ya

Glad to see a member here bought the car!! Good luck on your new venture.

1970Moparmann

Quote from: Impkidd on March 05, 2022, 11:00:52 PM
We'll, after 42 years of wanting a Superbird, I bought this one today! So now I can learn every nut and bolt of it to bring it back to its former glory as best that I can. I recently semi-retired and will have more spare time, and I'll need lots of advice as I go. I'll probably start it's own thread asking for your help. Thanks in advance. Rob.

Congrats!  :2thumbs: :2thumbs:
My name is Mike and I'm a Moparholic!

birdsandbees

Nice Rob! How many days did they give you to find all the pieces in the shop....  :scratchchin: Make sure you have someone with you, that has previously assembled one, when you are collecting the project.
1970 'Bird RM23UOA170163
1969 'Bee WM21H9A230241
1969 Dart Swinger LM23P9B190885
1967 Plymouth Barracuda Formula S
1966 Plymouth Satellite HP2 - 9941 original miles
1964 Dodge 440 62422504487

Impkidd

:icon_smile_wink: Thanks for everyone's encouragement! Still doesn't seem real yet. Just a lifelong dream to finally own one! Lemon Twist/black, 440-4, auto, console, tic toc tach, wood wheel, 14" rally's, broadcast sheet. 12,609 certified, actual miles. So, it should be the right one to put back together.
    I Have pictures of 'birds from past car shows, a post card of a lemon twist one with sheepskin seat covers in a little car museum I believe in Gattlinburg, TN? in about 1980? And only one old pic of me with a corporate blue/white bucket interior car in 1985 at the Canfield, Ohio fair car show and swap meet. I believe it was from NY at the time owned by a car dealer? And my buddy who took that pic, recently passed away. He would of really liked to known of my car today.
    Anyway,,, Loading the parts took about 4 hours. First had to locate an enclosed uhaul trailer. That was a couple of hours.  Actually, a couple of buddy car members here that Ive known from Chryslers Carlisle Dirty 'Birds showed up at the auction, and when I bought the car, they recommended me to gather the valuable parts (diamond trim, w/s mouldings, jacks, wing, dash board etc) and pack them away quick. So. The Chevy Traverse is packed to the ceiling with the rare stuff. The uhaul is packed with everything else. The body will be picked up soon. My wife and I (maybe mom too with the tote boxes) can take the day and inventory items as I empty the trailer.
    I'm on my way now to try to visit the 94 year old grandfather who originally bought the car new! It turns out, he showed up briefly at the auction yesterday, but no one knew who he was. The family didn't say anything of him there either.  I do remember seeing the guy there, but didn't know he was the original owner until he left after the car sale! Darn, darn, darn! We'll, I'll see if I can meet him today.
    Then, I'll stay over an extra day while I'm here and check out the original Chrysler dealership that the 'bird came from, thats still in business. Dotta Chrysler/Jeep. It appears that the matriarch of the family business and her son still work at the store. She apparently comes into the store in the mornings. Hopefully they would want to share any documents of the car if available. Any old pics, maybe an old style trunk emblem? We'll see how it goes!

Dave Kanofsky

That's awesome!  Good luck with... Everything!
"God sent his Son into the world not to judge the world, but to save the world through him." John 3:17, NLT

Racers For Christ Chaplain (www.teamrfc.org)

Old Moparz

Very cool story, good luck with your new jigsaw puzzle.  :cheers:
               Bob                

I Gotta Stop Taking The Bus

fastmark

Ok. So I can't look on the auction and see the final selling price. Would someone want to share this information with me. I found a project bird and just wondered what the going price is for a project bird.

ACUDANUT

6PakBee

If the buyer wants to post what he gave for it, that's his business.  If he doesn't, then I don't think it's right to post it for him.  As to the price of a project bird, it's like any car, numbers matching, equipment, and completeness determines the price.  A non-numbers matching bench seat column auto car missing parts will never be worth what a matching numbers four-speed bucket six-pack would be worth.  I have no idea of what a high end car would be worth but a disassembled low end car would probably be in that $75K to $100K range.  Just my  :Twocents:

ACUDANUT

Why not disclose the amount Paid.  It helps everyone get a feel of what is fair or not.  It's not a house someone can look up and try ugly things to you.