News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

1973 Plymouth Satellite air conditioning question

Started by 70 sublime, August 02, 2022, 02:58:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

70 sublime

I have a 73 Satellite I have been messing around with trying to get running

My car is originally a 400 engine and the car has factory air conditioning

Right now the car has a 318 in it and all the air conditioning lines are hooked up from the fire wall to the top of the compressor that was mounted on the engine
The compressor is stuck so I pulled it off

My question is 

Are the A/C lines all the same on a third gen car for a big block or small block engine ?
My pipes have been cut off that go up to the a/c rad  :'(

next project 70 Charger FJ5 green

RallyeMike

In general, big block AC cars have the compressor mounted further to the drivers side to provide more clearance for the distributor. If you look at pics on the net I'm sure you can see this. I don't know for sure, but my guess is that big block hoses are longer.
1969 Charger 500 #232008
1972 Charger, Grand Sport #41
1973 Charger "T/A"

Drive as fast as you want to on a public road! Click here for info: http://www.sscc.us/

70 sublime

Hmm
The reason I was wondering is because the hoses that were on the car seemed to fit well and what are the odds of anyone finding a small block with the right parts to fit
My car was a 400 and I do have a 400 sitting on the floor of the shop and was considering switching engines if the 318 will not run

ODZKing

Yes, big block vs small block A/C is different. Hoses, rad, condenser and evaporator (I believe).
Mine is an A/C car and I converted mine (big block 400HP) to the new compressor. I'm sorry I did that as the kit from Classic Auto Air freezes all the time. Not a good set up, but anyway here is a shot of mine.

70 sublime

Thanks for the picture

Right now my car has 318 and the hoses from firewall to the top of the engine are there and from top forward have just been cut off
My car factory was a 400 so someone must have lucked out to find the right small block parts to make the switch to small block

Still have not got the 318 running so not sure of its future as I have a crappy running 400 sitting on the floor in the shop that could end up in my car

I have come across a guy that says he has an a/c set up so I might take my good hoses with me to see if his are for the small block or big block might make my plans easier about which engine to work on

Please stay tuned  :2thumbs: 

John_Kunkel

FWIW, here's a hose chart from the '73 parts book. (Satellite is RW)
Pardon me but my karma just ran over your dogma.

Nacho-RT74

Actually, Satellite is R.

About the hoses,  AS FAR I KNOW just the ones related with compressor are phisically diff. Rest are the same. i think If some PN changed aside the ones related with compressor could be a superseded or upgrade related with assembly date?. Sure brackets also changes between SB and BB
Venezuelan RT 74 400 4bbl, 727, 8.75 3.23 open. Now stroked with 440 crank and 3.55 SG. Here is the History and how is actually: http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,7603.0/all.html
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,25060.0.html

70 sublime

That sheet with the different part numbers for different hoses

Is there a part number on the hose itself someplace I could look for to see what I have ??

ODZKing

Quote from: 70 sublime on August 05, 2022, 10:53:42 PM
That sheet with the different part numbers for different hoses

Is there a part number on the hose itself someplace I could look for to see what I have ??
Doubtful. some came with a little white piece of paper sticker wrapped around the metal portion but likely that is long gone if there was one. However the parts book has illustrations you could try to match up to see which you have.