News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Year one, jim's autoparts, jack's autoparts, summit, jegs....

Started by mysil bergsprekken, June 21, 2006, 06:06:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mysil bergsprekken

Year one, jim's autoparts, jack's autoparts, summit, jegs....  ??? Who should I order with? What should I order where? It's not easy to make a decision when one do not have experience with the different companies. What place should I order from when I want to keep my 69 as stock as possible? Any opinions?
thanks
69 charger RT

Blown70

I think you have to make the chose by what item you are looking for.  For aftermarket and some things Jegs, Summit is the way to go.  Year One, and others,  Often year one and the others get there products from other suppliers and are just a middleman so to speak.

Tom

mysil bergsprekken

But if I want to keep it as original as possible and get mainly stock parts.
For instance, I'm goin to get a new power brake booster...
thanks Tom
69 charger RT

jaak

stay clear of Year One, they are a bunch of A-holes, use paddock or harden's for your resto stuff.

mysil bergsprekken

Thanks for the advice, any other places I should know about?
69 charger RT

JimShine

Just shop around. Most everything is supplied and larger items like sheetmetal are usually drop shipped from the manufacturer. What I would do is get the price after shipping and compare. The Paddok and Year One are famous for tacking on handling fees and extra packing charges that are purely for profit.

Here is a small example of how I shop. I needed a set of quarters. In each of these cases they are all drop shipped by Goodmark direct. The same shipping would be paid regardless of the dealer ordering them.

Year One $460 a pair S/H $247.50 Total $707.50

The Paddok $399.90 a pair Truck freight $205 Total $604 90

Adealsap $369.90 a pair Shipping $125 Total $494.90

mopar_madman

Quote from: mysil bergsprekken on June 22, 2006, 05:51:35 AM
Thanks for the advice, any other places I should know about?

I've had bad expeiriences with Layson's. What I do and this saves money cause I attend the mopar nats every year there are so many parts vendors there I just make a list and buy at the show, no sales tax and shipping.Just look up the prices that the other guys(year one, paddock, ect sell for) so you can keep the prices within reason. Works well and some places have show specials, I ordered my TTI exhaust at monster mopar weekend from a supplier that was offering free shipping. Also buy any body panels I can at the show, this way I can see up close what I'm getting and don't pay the truck frieght, also I LOVE the swap meet! But if you need the parts now look up what the suppliers have(all have online catalogs) but some parts can be bought locally at auto parts store, some thing like a brake booster are usually remanufactured originals but if you need numbers matching, date coded then your at the mercy of who has them. Also check sites like this lots of guys have parts for sale new and used for good deals. Good Luck
1973 Dodge Charger
1968 Plymouth Road Runner
1971 Dodge Dart Swinger

bluesfool

Summit has treated me very well with every order I've placed with them, and on the rare occassions when there has been a problem with a shipment, their customer service was excellent. If you order from them, order as much as you can at one time because they tack on a $10 fee with every order, but on the flip side, they ship for free. Jack's Auto Parts in Jersey has also been a great help and I've bought many things from them. I use Year One only as a last resort because of their high prices.

4402tuff4u

I only shop at Year One when they have a discount - only at 20%. Another good "stock" supplier that the prices are not bad and it's a small family owned company is Hardens Muscle Car World 1 800 633-4690 - no web site but are pleasant people to talk to. They have good deals at Carlisle. I have my list ready! :icon_smile_big: Mancini has good tech help and their prices are competative.
"Mother should I trust the government?........... Pink Floyd "Mother"

mopar_madman

Quote from: 4402tuff4u on June 23, 2006, 01:01:06 PM
I only shop at Year One when they have a discount - only at 20%. Another good "stock" supplier that the prices are not bad and it's a small family owned company is Hardens Muscle Car World 1 800 633-4690 - no web site but are pleasant people to talk to. They have good deals at Carlisle. I have my list ready! :icon_smile_big: Mancini has good tech help and their prices are competative.

:iagree: Hardens has very reasonable prices and seem like good people.
1973 Dodge Charger
1968 Plymouth Road Runner
1971 Dodge Dart Swinger

Dodge Don

Quote from: jaak on June 21, 2006, 08:27:45 PM
stay clear of Year One, they are a bunch of A-holes, use paddock or harden's for your resto stuff.

I've bought from pretty much all the resto parts sources and alot has come from Year One with no issues or complaints. I only order from Year One with the 20% off discount code that comes up every so often.

Neal_J

As I've said before many times, Year One is the Ant-Christ.   Their shipping/handling is equalivent to a gang-rape.

I'd rather slit my wrists than order from them.

Neal

John_Kunkel

Jim's Auto Parts has a horrible reputation on other boards.

Unlike the others listed here, I've never heard anyone that had a satisfactory transaction from Jim's.
Pardon me but my karma just ran over your dogma.

hemigeno

Although not much in the last 2 years, I've purchased a lot of things from YR1.  So far I have had very good luck dealing with them, although the time to make any purchases is definitely when there's an active discount code. 

I did go a few rounds with them once.  This was before they started putting the *excludes discount exempt disclaimer on their "xx% off everything in our catalog" discount card flyer.  I called them up and placed an order for several things that they didn't normally discount (a set of bias ply tires, and a couple of other big-ticket items).  When I asked for the discount, they said it didn't apply.  I asked if the items were in their catalog, and when they said "Yes", then I told them their Advertisement negated the catalog's wording.  Although they weren't happy about it, they relented and gave me the discount - but from then on that little asterisk and disclaimer has been on their flyers/mailers.  I bought some stuff for a lot cheaper than they wanted to sell it THAT time.

The thing that keeps me coming back is that they don't have a problem with returns.  Returns LONG after the purchase was made - like YEARS after...  Yes, I'm a confirmed procrastinator, and YearOne contributes to my delinquency...  Even if it costs me a few dollars more, I'd rather have the option of returning something I bought "just in case."

:Twocents:

Shakey

I'm OK with Year One also. 

I've heard too many stories about other vendors like "they took my order and never called me back" or "they shipped the wrong items and blamed me" and others back them up with excuses like "it's show season, Joe Blow is busy getting ready to tour the car show and swap meet circuit, he'll get back to you in the Fall"!   ::)

Dodge Don

Quote from: hemigeno on June 26, 2006, 07:27:59 PM
Although not much in the last 2 years, I've purchased a lot of things from YR1.  So far I have had very good luck dealing with them, although the time to make any purchases is definitely when there's an active discount code. 

I did go a few rounds with them once.  This was before they started putting the *excludes discount exempt disclaimer on their "xx% off everything in our catalog" discount card flyer.  I called them up and placed an order for several things that they didn't normally discount (a set of bias ply tires, and a couple of other big-ticket items).  When I asked for the discount, they said it didn't apply.  I asked if the items were in their catalog, and when they said "Yes", then I told them their Advertisement negated the catalog's wording.  Although they weren't happy about it, they relented and gave me the discount - but from then on that little asterisk and disclaimer has been on their flyers/mailers.  I bought some stuff for a lot cheaper than they wanted to sell it THAT time.

The thing that keeps me coming back is that they don't have a problem with returns.  Returns LONG after the purchase was made - like YEARS after...  Yes, I'm a confirmed procrastinator, and YearOne contributes to my delinquency...  Even if it costs me a few dollars more, I'd rather have the option of returning something I bought "just in case."

:Twocents:

Nice spread in MCG this month. Congrats.

Dodge Don

Shipping costs $$, however I have experienced it from many angles and Year One is still preferred because they are on the East coast and send everything together which reduces potential shipping costs. The Paddock is a little closer but those guys send me stuff in dribs and drabs which drives up my shipping and brokerage fees. Laysons is on the left coast so shipping to me jumps up.

I always use the 20% discount. Even a full set of Polyglas tires was discounted for me.

If you want to find the Anti-Christ look no further than Wal*Mart.......those aren't greeters.....they are the doormen to hell.

nh_mopar_fan

Jim's is near me. I wouldn't go there on a bet. Outrageous prices.

Shakey

Quote from: Dodge Don on June 26, 2006, 08:25:15 PM
Shipping costs $$, however I have experienced it from many angles and Year One is still preferred because they are on the East coast and send everything together which reduces potential shipping costs. The Paddock is a little closer but those guys send me stuff in dribs and drabs which drives up my shipping and brokerage fees. Laysons is on the left coast so shipping to me jumps up.

I always use the 20% discount. Even a full set of Polyglas tires was discounted for me.

If you want to find the Anti-Christ look no further than Wal*Mart.......those aren't greeters.....they are the doormen to hell.

QuoteEven a full set of Polyglas tires was discounted for me.

I would hope you get some respect when you place an order for $12,000.00 CDN!   :yesnod:

BTW - Thanks for the torsion bar tool.  Worked like a charm.   :cheers:

Dennis K

Don't rule out ebay for reproduction parts. There are lots of reputable sellers that have the same stuff that Year One and the others have, at much lower prices, lower shipping, and better service.

resq302

I would avoid Paddock at all costs from now on for me.  I ordered a $273 order and they charged me $35 for shipping an 8 lbs box.  Their reply was they charge for shipping by the total purchase price, not how much the shipping actually is.  I looked up the price to ship it via UPS and the price came out to like $16 or so.  Never again!  From now on it is vendors on here or used parts that can be rebuilt.
Brian
1969 Dodge Charger (factory 4 speed, H code 383 engine,  AACA Senior winner, 2008 Concours d'Elegance participant, 2009 Concours d'Elegance award winner)
1970 Challenger Convert. factory #'s matching red inter. w/ white body.  318 car built 9/28/69 (AACA Senior winner)
1969 Plymough GTX convertible - original sheet metal, #'s matching drivetrain, T3 Honey Bronze, 1 of 701 produced, 1 of 362 with 440 4 bbl - auto

BigBlockSam

experiencesmy experences

year one bang the crap out of me with there shipping prices

Jim's, a bunch of ass holes sold me a six pack air cleaner with a factory defect in it  and said it was the shippers fault. hang the phone up on me 3 times. stay away

jacks very cool guy, took back items i ended up not needing. no questions asked

jegs and summit, both OK, they have a small handling fee, i think it's about $8 but the shipping is free. thats great for large items like a pair of leaf springs i ordered from summit, jegs is the same, plus there cool about returning items.

ebay is cool for somethings. you just gotta know what you are looking for.

hope this helps , Rene
I won't be wronged, I wont be Insulted and I wont be laid a hand on. I don't do these things to others, and I require the same from them.

[IMG]http://i45.tinypic.com/347b5v5.jpg[/img

NHCharger

I live one hour from Jim's. Wouldn't buy from him ever again. Screwed me on my one and only purchase 10 years ago. I can't believe he's still in business. His shipping costs makes year one's look good and the price on the parts are alway higher than in the catolog.
72 Charger- Base Model
68 Charger-R/T Clone
69 Charger Daytona clone- current moneypit
79 Lil Red Express - future moneypit
88 Ramcharger 4x4-moneypit in waiting
2014 RAM 2500HD Diesel

BigBlockSam

I won't be wronged, I wont be Insulted and I wont be laid a hand on. I don't do these things to others, and I require the same from them.

[IMG]http://i45.tinypic.com/347b5v5.jpg[/img

Dodge Don

Quote from: Shakey on June 26, 2006, 09:05:16 PM
Quote from: Dodge Don on June 26, 2006, 08:25:15 PM

QuoteEven a full set of Polyglas tires was discounted for me.

I would hope you get some respect when you place an order for $12,000.00 CDN!   :yesnod:

BTW - Thanks for the torsion bar tool.  Worked like a charm.   :cheers:

Glad the tool worked. Pretty simple stuff really. I can get it back when we meet up next Mike. You going to Moparfest?