News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Per Tronix electronic ignition – Did I mess up?

Started by Daytona Guy, July 12, 2006, 01:30:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Daytona Guy

I put a PerTronix ignition in my Daytona and it ran great except at low idle it would almost die. So I took it off and put my points back in.  Then just after doing all of this 72 wiring stuff I have realized that I may have wired my PerTronix ignition up wrong. This is what I did that I think was wrong. I tapped into the BROWN wire on the Ballast Resister for my 12 volt supply. Now realizing that I tapped into the 9 volt side of the resister I am wondering if that was why my car was dying at idle. Is this my problem? Can I tap into the blue wire (12 volts) and put my PerTronix ignition back on and all things will be good?

johntpr

Take a 1969 ballast resistor, and solder in a solid wire behind it so it looks stock from the front..that way you get the full 12 volts, and it loks stock from the front.  You may have to adjust your timing slightly too.  Did you use their high voltage "Flamethrower" coil too? 

Daytona Guy

Quote from: johntpr on July 12, 2006, 02:39:45 PM
Take a 1969 ballast resistor, and solder in a solid wire behind it so it looks stock from the front..that way you get the full 12 volts, and it loks stock from the front.  You may have to adjust your timing slightly too.  Did you use their high voltage "Flamethrower" coil too? 

I had the coil checked out for the specks that Pretronix required and the Speed Shop said it met the requirements so I went with it. It was a brand new Chrysler from Year One. Could that BE A PROBLEM. Are those your Daytonas, as in more than one. WOW