News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

'71 HemiCuda Ragtop - $5M - ?

Started by Shakey, August 22, 2005, 12:57:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Shakey

RD

i remember reading about that car in MM like 2-3 years ago (methinks). crazy that a car will fetch $5 million, when just 15 years ago, it was worth $30,000 on a good day.
67 Plymouth Barracuda, 69 Plymouth Barracuda, 73 Charger SE, 75 D100, 80 Sno-Commander

Shakey

Quote from: RD on August 22, 2005, 01:27:01 PM
i remember reading about that car in MM like 2-3 years ago (methinks). crazy that a car will fetch $5 million, when just 15 years ago, it was worth $30,000 on a good day.

And 34 years ago you could have ordered a brand new one with the options of your choice directly from the dealer for what, $5K.

4402tuff4u

No effing way!!! Unbelievable! Oh well, that makes our Chargers worth so much more!   ;D
"Mother should I trust the government?........... Pink Floyd "Mother"

Jon Smith

Isn't that the one that sold for $2m a couple of years back, if that goes for $5m it was a damn good investment

Old Moparz

I just put a deposit on it, it's not for sale anymore.
               Bob                

I Gotta Stop Taking The Bus

RT DAVE

Quote from: Jon Smith on August 22, 2005, 02:11:03 PM
Isn't that the one that sold for $2m a couple of years back, if that goes for $5m it was a damn good investment

Yes, I believe it is.  I believe (not sure) the same guy who owns this one also owns the blue 71 that sold for $1M a few years earlier.  I think he lives in Chicago?   
68 CHARGER RT<br />06 MAGNUM RT<br />02 INTREPID SXT

BigBadCharger

Quote from: RT DAVE on August 22, 2005, 03:30:19 PM

Yes, I believe it is.   I believe (not sure) the same guy who owns this one also owns the blue 71 that sold for $1M a few years earlier.   I think he lives in Chicago?     

What a fucking pimp!
How's your wife and my kids?

69bananabeast

Cant remmeber his name off hand , but they did an article on him in Hot Rod mag a couple months back . Some really beautiful cars and Most of them do have Hemi's
1969 Charger  446
1970 Charger  318
1932 Ford Rat Rod   (under construction)

KMPX2

All I got to say is there are atleast 2 rich fools in the world

TheGhost

IMHO, it's overpriced by about 4.9 million.
Never underestimate the power of stupid people in large groups.  Especially if they have access to the internet.

Andrew

i think i remember reading that article
did it have pics of his cars around a pool during a party at his house?
all but one of his mopars is hemi powered

69bananabeast

yeah that was the article , the only car that didnt have a hemi was the daytona . He was settling with that until he could find a Hemi Daytona
1969 Charger  446
1970 Charger  318
1932 Ford Rat Rod   (under construction)

6pkrunner

Wait until the "readjustment" in colector cars comes. And it will. Someone is going to have paid serious coin for a car that is valued at less than serious.

Old Moparz

Quote from: 6pkrunner on August 23, 2005, 06:23:47 AM
Wait until the "readjustment" in collector cars comes. And it will. Someone is going to have paid serious coin for a car that is valued at less than serious.

I thought the readjustment would have happened by now. Not that I'm hoping the bottom falls out & people get killed financially, but part of me does. That's because it's obvious that the average person can't get into the hobby like you could years ago. I would imagine that if the gas prices start to affect everything possible, the collector car market might change with it. I don't mean that high gas will hurt the cars because they're gas pigs, but by the prices going full cycle into higher cost of everything across the board. (Food, clothes, appliances, etc.)

What do I know? I ain't a financial adviser.
               Bob                

I Gotta Stop Taking The Bus

694spdRT

If I remember right he was the stock trader that made big money and started buying up rare hemi's like that one. I think it said he was driving them too.
1968 Charger 383 auto
1969 Charger R/T 440 4 speed
1970 Charger 500 440 auto
1972 Challenger 318
1976 W200 Club Cab 4x4 400 auto 
1978 Ramcharger 360 auto
2001 Durango SLT 4.7L (daily driver)
2005 Ram 2500 4x4 Big Horn Cummins Diesel 6 speed
2005 Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited 5.7 Hemi

472 R/T SE

That's the banker dude I think, and yes he drives 'em.  I thought he was in North Dakota?

hemihead

I can't wait until the bottom falls out.Then maybe the real car guys will be left and the investor types will go back to buying up the Vettes,Ferraris, etc.I often wondered how many of the big buck cars get bought by people involved in illegal activities.
Lots of people talkin' , few of them know
Soul of a woman was created below
  Led Zeppelin

andy74

yeah hes from north dakota,fargo i think.he made a shit load of cash in investment property,lives in phoenix now.thats where the house in hot rod was,the pool and a lot of awesome iron! foolish for spending that kind of cash on a car,but he does drive everyone of em,so he is still ok in my book-and the article said he sold off his first couple of mopars to get the cash to start his investment thing,so he was into them before he was loaded!

RT DAVE

Quote from: RT DAVE on August 22, 2005, 03:30:19 PM

Yes, I believe it is.   I believe (not sure) the same guy who owns this one also owns the blue 71 that sold for $1M a few years earlier.   I think he lives in Chicago?     

Here it is.  The blue one is in background.  Took these at the '04 nats.  Don't know if they were there this year also as I didn't go...

RT DAVE

Quote from: andy74 on August 24, 2005, 04:54:53 PM
yeah hes from north dakota,fargo i think.he made a shit load of cash in investment property,lives in phoenix now.thats where the house in hot rod was,the pool and a lot of awesome iron! foolish for spending that kind of cash on a car,but he does drive everyone of em,so he is still ok in my book-and the article said he sold off his first couple of mopars to get the cash to start his investment thing,so he was into them before he was loaded!

btw, the blue one had (in 2004) newer Montana plates on it.   Don't know if that would lead one to believe that is where the owner lives/lived.   Seems odd to have current issue MT plates unless he has the car registered there...

Nacho-RT74

I have seen these cars on auctions ( blue one on ebay, sold on one million even reserve was $1,3 millions ) and both on Mopar muscle mags...

honestly... would you guys enjoy driving this cars with that estimated value ? won't be scared by an accidentally scratch or just chip on paint maybe witha a key chain ? Damn I want a drive a car without fears. If there is a chip, then just repair and drive it again...

If I'm already carefull with mine and got scratches by people just looking at. Of course they don't GO TO DO IT,   just accidentally happens and I also enjoy A LOT when people get closer to my car to see it, because is nice to see their faces also. Of course I drive my car practically everyday and enjoin it. White interior get dirty and clean it, If it happens some tear I just recover...

Damn... I won't have ( I think ) a car like those ones. Woud be nice to have them BUT TO DRIVE THEM REALLY, not from a truck to a show or my garage... or maybe just for pics date.
Venezuelan RT 74 400 4bbl, 727, 8.75 3.23 open. Now stroked with 440 crank and 3.55 SG. Here is the History and how is actually: http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,7603.0/all.html
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,25060.0.html

Shakey

Not really an E body fan.  I think a clone would do me just fine as the beavers waitin' for a bus wouldn't know the difference when you pull up and offer them a ride!

RT DAVE

Quote from: Nacho-RT74 on August 26, 2005, 10:33:29 AM
I have seen these cars on auctions ( blue one on ebay, sold on one million even reserve was $1,3 millions ) and both on Mopar muscle mags...

honestly... would you guys enjoy driving this cars with that estimated value ? won't be scared by an accidentally scratch or just chip on paint maybe witha a key chain ? Damn I want a drive a car without fears. If there is a chip, then just repair and drive it again...

If I'm already carefull with mine and got scratches by people just looking at. Of course they don't GO TO DO IT,   just accidentally happens and I also enjoy A LOT when people get closer to my car to see it, because is nice to see their faces also. Of course I drive my car practically everyday and enjoin it. White interior get dirty and clean it, If it happens some tear I just recover...

Damn... I won't have ( I think ) a car like those ones. Woud be nice to have them BUT TO DRIVE THEM REALLY, not from a truck to a show or my garage... or maybe just for pics date.

I wouldn't feel comfortable driving them, even if I did have the dinero to buy them.   For that kind of money, I could buy a whole fleet of cars I wanted.     

Telvis

Dammit!! I'm just s few bucks short. I wish I had money like Bill Gates. Could you imagine being able to buy ANYTHING your heart desires? Absolutely nothing out of reach. I'll tell you one thing. If I ever do get that rich I am buying eveyone on this site a Charger fully restored and ready to roll. Don't get your hopes up. I'm pretty poor right now.