News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

ANY BOBBY ISSAC CLONES OUT THERE ? [ # 71]

Started by daytonalo, September 03, 2006, 02:15:29 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

pettybird

Quote from: DougSchellinger on November 28, 2007, 11:51:03 PM
Quote from: Magnumcharger on November 28, 2007, 11:34:43 PM
Ooooooooo!!
That's gotta get put on my "Worst Charger Paintjobs" thread!  :lol:

I always thought it looked very nice in person, even the colors.    The paint on that car was a mile deep, something like 20 coats of clear lacquer.   For the time, it was tasteful.

And the car was Sublime--aged pics may be all that exist but they don't do it justice. 

nascarxx29

1969 R4 Daytona XX29L9B410772
1970 EV2 Superbird RM23UOA174597
1970 FY1 Superbird RM23UOA166242
1970 EV2 Superbird RM23VOA179697
1968 426 Road Runner RM21J8A134509
1970 Coronet RT WS23UOA224126
1970 Daytona Clone XP29GOG178701

daytonalo

They must have unsprung the weight of car and installed blocks when the trailer it . Look at how high the front is

pettybird

Ghoste

It was after they used it.  Before that it was much slower tape. :D

hemigeno

Magnumcharger

The same # 71 street car.
Sure would look alot better with the front wheel openings in the "stock car" size, verses stock.
A person definately would not want to build a replica Daytona racecar out of a real Charger Daytona!
There would be far too many modifications required to the body to achieve that visual image.
Although in my opinion, the street car looks positively candy-assed compared to the attitude of the real race machine!
1968 Plymouth Barracuda Formula S 340 convertible
1968 Dodge Charger R/T 426 Hemi 4 speed
1968 Plymouth Barracuda S/S clone 426 Hemi auto
1969 Dodge Deora pickup clone 318 auto
1971 Dodge Charger R/T 440 auto
1972 Dodge C600 318 4 speed ramp truck
1972 Dodge C800 413 5 speed
1979 Chrysler 300 T-top 360 auto
2001 Dodge RAM Sport Offroad 360 auto
2010 Dodge Challenger R/T 6 speed
2014 RAM Laramie 5.7 Hemi 8 speed

moparstuart

Quote from: Magnumcharger on November 30, 2007, 05:18:39 PM
The same # 71 street car.
Sure would look alot better with the front wheel openings in the "stock car" size, verses stock.
A person definately would not want to build a replica Daytona racecar out of a real Charger Daytona!
There would be far too many modifications required to the body to achieve that visual image.
Although in my opinion, the street car looks positively candy-assed compared to the attitude of the real race machine!
they still look good though and there are several real street daytona running around in stock car garb but like you say not modified to the extreme
GO SELL CRAZY SOMEWHERE ELSE WE ARE ALL STOCKED UP HERE

daytonalo

If it is the last thing I do , I will make one identical to Bobby's # 71 , flares , cage , no headight doors , fuel cell . Looking for a donar car right now .

Larry

Mike DC

You could start with some other '66-70 B-body (I think even a 4-door would theoretically work for the floor/framerails) and then just drop the Charger body onto it.  That's exactly what a lot of the old NASCARs were built like, and it would spare you the problem of digging up a '70 Charger body that has a solid platform. 

daytonalo

Thanks , but that is twice the work that I want to do .

nascarxx29

1969 R4 Daytona XX29L9B410772
1970 EV2 Superbird RM23UOA174597
1970 FY1 Superbird RM23UOA166242
1970 EV2 Superbird RM23VOA179697
1968 426 Road Runner RM21J8A134509
1970 Coronet RT WS23UOA224126
1970 Daytona Clone XP29GOG178701

A383Wing

Ghoste

When was the change between saying Daytona on the stripe and having the crew's names on there?

Magnumcharger

Quote from: Ghoste on December 01, 2007, 12:07:07 AM
When was the change between saying Daytona on the stripe and having the crew's names on there?

Yeah, and when did the font style for the number 71 change as well?

Mike DC

QuoteThanks , but that is twice the work that I want to do .

Yeah, I don't exactly blame you for just wanting to just use a decent '70 if you can find it.  Lord knows a project is easier when you start with a decent body shell. 

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

But I actually think my weird idea back there is becoming gradually less weird by the year.   

These days most 2nd-gen Charger body shells you can find will need virtually everything replaced between the framerails and the roof skin. 
That's a hell of a lot of work too.  All those spot-welds.  And money.  And crap chinese replacement metal.

Whereas with doing my idea, some of the other B-body plaforms are still available kinda cheap even without any rust at all. 
And the Charger donor skin to go on top of it could be a no-framerails cheapo.   

Johnny Daytona

Quote from: Ghoste on December 01, 2007, 12:07:07 AM
       That looks to be a short track car with the headlight door for the oil cooler open. . After looking at a lot of pictures I saw several different tracks with the different lettering.  Daytona, Riverside, Atlanta.  My thought is that It must have been re lettered after the season was over before going to the salt flats.
70 daytona clone, still building it<br />53-392 hemi stude chop top starlight cp<br />66 corvette cp My daily driver

Ghoste

Any idea how many Daytonas ran out of the K&K stables?

daytonalo

I'll bet the house that the Daytona Wellborne owns is not the same car that set records in Bonneville . Bonneville car has no drip rails, smaller back window and faired in A-pillar trim . Tim car has drip rails and reg Daytona window . No way did they reinstall these items

Ghoste

And only because I'm too lazy to look it up for myself, which version is it lettered as Larry?  (I agree with you btw, I can't see anyone reinstalling drip rails, you never know, but it seems doubtful)

hemigeno

Quote from: daytonalo on December 02, 2007, 10:12:06 PM
I'll bet the house that the Daytona Wellborne owns is not the same car that set records in Bonneville . Bonneville car has no drip rails, smaller back window and faired in A-pillar trim . Tim car has drip rails and reg Daytona window . No way did they reinstall these items

We've discussed this whole subject before, nothing new.  I'm still of the opinion that Mr. Wellborn's car is the Bonneville car.

http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,19598.0.html

Don't worry Larry, I'm not looking for any real estate in the Northeast...   :P

Magnumcharger

Quote from: hemigeno on December 02, 2007, 10:55:29 PM
Quote from: daytonalo on December 02, 2007, 10:12:06 PM

We've discussed this whole subject before, nothing new.  I'm still of the opinion that Mr. Wellborn's car is the Bonneville car.

http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,19598.0.html

Don't worry Larry, I'm not looking for any real estate in the Northeast...   :P

How DO you find the link to these previous - and pertainent - threads??

Ghoste

I'd like to know how he remembers threads from over a year ago.  Rereading the old thread leaves me wondering if it is or isn't.  Somebody on here must know Tim or Roger Gibson well enough to ask about the drip rail thing?

hemigeno

Some things just ring a bell I guess, and the driprail thing was one I remembered.

About the only issue that isn't readily explainable is the rear plug.  However, I took a close look at one of the pictures, and you can still see the outline of the original window glass opening.  More than likely, they removed the standard moulding and used something else (tape??  plastic??) as fairing in this area.  Just another aero trick on an aero car - but I really don't think this was a different window plug or some other major modification that would indicate it was a different car. 

If it were that important, I might be able to relay a question to Harry Lee Hyde, Jr. who was at the Bonneville test on the crew AND has driven Mr. Wellborn's car after its restoration.  He'd be as reliable a source as anyone.

moparstuart

Quote from: hemigeno on December 03, 2007, 10:18:06 AM
Some things just ring a bell I guess, and the driprail thing was one I remembered.

About the only issue that isn't readily explainable is the rear plug.  However, I took a close look at one of the pictures, and you can still see the outline of the original window glass opening.  More than likely, they removed the standard moulding and used something else (tape??  plastic??) as fairing in this area.  Just another aero trick on an aero car - but I really don't think this was a different window plug or some other major modification that would indicate it was a different car. 

If it were that important, I might be able to relay a question to Harry Lee Hyde, Jr. who was at the Bonneville test on the crew AND has driven Mr. Wellborn's car after its restoration.  He'd be as reliable a source as anyone.
does anyone know what the vent is there in the plug area  ??
GO SELL CRAZY SOMEWHERE ELSE WE ARE ALL STOCKED UP HERE