News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

A Huge Number Of PitBulls are sentence to die next week

Started by IBsmokin, August 23, 2005, 09:10:32 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

CFMopar

It all comes in how u raise them and obviously you are a good owner. If the breed didnt attract white trash and wana be thugs we would never hear of the problems associated with it.

Update.

Nobody has taken the dog in. One person said she was going to take it only cause it was in a shelter but since someone is fostering it she wont now. The other hasnt responded. Also their is a legal challenge on monday against the ban hopefully they can get the ban overturned. Fellow people from ontario ask around if anyone wants the pup.

Thanks
1971 Charger SE 440 automatic
2014 Ram EcoDiesel Laramie
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCCkKIkpXr-77fWg7JkeoV_g

twilt

i understand and respect your point about the "fault" being in the owners, not the dogs.  However, when 2/3 of all serious dog attacks are attributed to 1% of the dog population...... its no wonder that there are people who want to take action. Its a hell of a lot easier to ban the breed than eliminate the bad apple owners.   

TheGhost

Quote from: twilt on August 28, 2005, 06:49:27 PM
i understand and respect your point about the "fault" being in the owners, not the dogs.  However, when 2/3 of all serious dog attacks are attributed to 1% of the dog population...... its no wonder that there are people who want to take action. Its a hell of a lot easier to ban the breed than eliminate the bad apple owners.   

I have never been attacked, or even felt threatened, by a Pitbull.  Ever.  However, I was attacked by a Cocker Spaniel when I was 5, which ripped my ear open.  All dog breeds have some bad apples.  You just hear about Pitbulls more, because they are bigger, more powerful dogs, bred for fighting, when the breed first started.
Never underestimate the power of stupid people in large groups.  Especially if they have access to the internet.

Shakey

These dogs have no place in a suburban setting where small children are learning to walk, ride their bicycles, play with other children and explore in general.

TheGhost

Quote from: Shakey on August 29, 2005, 02:17:52 PM
These dogs have no place in a suburban setting where small children are learning to walk, ride their bicycles, play with other children and explore in general.

Neither do cats.  My cat attacked me more viciously than any dog ever has.  You know, cars shouldn't be allowed around children, either, since the children are apt to wander around, and are in danger of getting hit.

STOP BLAMING THE GOD DAMN DOGS!  Blame either the parents, for allowing the child to be in the situation in the first place, or the owners for either mistreating or not properly containing the dogs.  But the dog doesn't know better.  It doesn't know the difference between a child and an adult, except that the adult is bigger.  For all the dog knows, kids are a threat.  In most cases of attacks, the dog was merely protecting his territory.  Should we kill them, just because it's following instinct?  Give me a break.  They are perfectly fine in a suburban setting, as long as the parents do what they are actually supposed to do, and actually SUPERVISE their damn kids, and the dog owners keep the dog on their own property, behind a fence, or inside.  Which is just common sense.  Almost all maulings could have been prevented if just ONE of those precautions was taken.  Instead, we get the idiots like those parents who left their little kid home alone with their dog, then, when the kid got killed, they blamed everybody BUT themselves.  Remember the quote: "Ban low performance drivers, not high performance cars"?  Paraphrase it, into "Ban idiot parents and dog owners, not the dogs", and it fits perfectly.  People just need to use some common sense once in a while.
Never underestimate the power of stupid people in large groups.  Especially if they have access to the internet.

chrisII

my next door neighbor recently had to get rid of her pit, wich she had since it was a puppy. while she was on vacation she had her doughter watching it , and somebody happened to walk by her house with their dog at the same time as she was taking the dog in the house from being on its chain. the dog pulled away from her and attacked the other dog. luckly it only neaded stiches to its ear. this pit was never raised with any violence or violent intent, but instinctavely saw any dog near her yard as a threat.she would not even bat an eye at a cat or human however, I had taken the dog out for my neighbor just 2 weeks before. the dog barely knew me but was nothing but happy and affectionate when i let her out of the house. i cant say i blame the dog as it was in her instinct. but i am gladd my neighbor decided to get rid of the dog (her doughter took it)
    at one point a few years ago i had a 200lb rott, another "dangerous breed" in the eyes of some. my rott came from the pound wich is taking a chance, but she was the mellowest most friendly dog ive ever known.  she was verry protective of my house, but knew well enough not to leave the yard, even if left unattended all day she would be sitting on the porch waiting when i got home (i found this out by mistake) :o  sadly she was verry old and got sick so i had to put her down. i do not regrett having her, but highly doubt i would ever get another rott

lumpy

I gotta chime in here, I guess if you want a dog like that because you think you need protection or something, maybe you've got some other issues. I love dogs, don't think my 3 pound Yorkie could hurt anything if she tried, but maybe if she was raised by some white trash skinhead nazi punk teenager she could be the first Killer Yorkie!!! You can say what you want about bad owners and all, but it really is the dog.

Brock Samson

TheGhost

Quote from: lumpy on August 29, 2005, 08:10:31 PMYou can say what you want about bad owners and all, but it really is the dog.

So, all Pitbulls are born vicious, mankilling machines, right?  The reason your dog wouldn't be a vicious killer, is because it's too small.  However, my lab/shepard mix, if I had brought him up wrong, would be JUST AS dangerous, if not more dangerous, than a Pitbull.  Just because it's a big, powerful dog, does not neccisarily mean it's dangerous.  Hell, my neighbor has a little Boston Terrier, or some dog like that.  Vicious as anything I've ever seen.  I would not step foot in the yard, with that dog outside, for fear it would attack me, and shred my pants leg.  And, this is a dog that probably weighs 10-15 lbs, and I'm more afraid of it, than I am of my friends full grown St. Bernard!  There are the bad apples in every breed, but, most cases, the dog was either protecting his territory, or was brought up to be a vicious beast.  Again, I fall back on the parents and dog owners to take responsibility, instead of taking the lazy way out, and relying on everyone else.

lumpy

:iagree: That you disagree. This is one of those issues that people are on one side or the other, nobody is going to change anybodies mind. But I challenge you to somehow convince me that a pitbull left alone to it's own instincts will somehow be a cute little cuddly fur ball. On the other hand, if it's the people that make them terrible animals, let's ban ownership!! Either argument you use to defend these animals can easily be poked full of holes. Disagree with that??

TheGhost

Quote from: lumpy on August 29, 2005, 08:57:34 PMif it's the people that make them terrible animals, let's ban ownership!!

Dude.  That's like saying, let's ban all people from driving, because a few people drive drunk.

lumpy

I'm sure there are some pretty nice Grizzly Bears and Wolverines out there somwhere, they just need a good home :yesnod: :yesnod:

TheGhost

Quote from: lumpy on August 29, 2005, 09:02:44 PM
I'm sure there are some pretty nice Grizzly Bears and Wolverines out there somwhere, they just need a good home :yesnod: :yesnod:

That's different.  Those are NOT domesticated animals.  Now your arguements are getting rediculous.

lumpy

Hey I got a great idea , let's just abolish all laws and let people do whatever they want!! You can't compare Pitbulls to cars, other breeds of dogs yeah, viscious animals sure, but but to compare the priveledge of driving   an automobile to the so-called right to own a Pitbull?? That's just silly, got anything better??

lumpy

Dammit will you slow down , I can't type that fast!!! :icon_smile_big:

lumpy

lumpy

TheGhost

Quote from: lumpy on August 29, 2005, 09:08:28 PMYou can't compare Pitbulls to cars

Can't I?  The reason you want Pitbulls banned, is because they cause deaths, correct?  So do cars.  Which, I might add, cause MANY more deaths than Pitbulls, therefore, the comparision is valid.  Driving is a priviledge, not a right.  So is owning a dog.  In both cases, if you are unable to handle those priviledges, you need to lose them, at least for a while.  Don't punish the animal, for the owners stupidity.

Yes, Pitbulls are domesticated animals.  They are dogs, which were domesticated from wolves.  There are no domesticated versions of bears, or wolverines.

twilt

67% of all serious dog attacks  ( ones that result in severe injury)   involve less than 1% of the dog population.  that less than 1% being pitbulls. what else do i need to know?

lumpy

Maybe we should just run over the Pitbulls with our big fancy American automobiles, Eh??

lumpy

You can go back and look, I never said i wanted Pitbulls banned, just the ownership. Turn 'em loose and let them run wild as nature intended, of course there would have to be some kind of regulated huntin' season :icon_smile_big:

Lowprofile

Quote from: twilt on August 29, 2005, 09:42:05 PM
67% of all serious dog attacks ( ones that result in severe injury) involve less than 1% of the dog population. that less than 1% being pitbulls. what else do i need to know?

Your facts, for starters. Don't believe all the tripe the mass media feeds you.
According to the AKC High strung breeds like Golden Retrievers, Different types of Lap Dogs, and Blue Healers/ Border Collies are responsible for the majority of dog bites in the US.
That being said.......You do not punish the Breed of dog because of the laziness/carelessness of the owner. Yes, the bite of a pit bull is devastating, but after investigating these attacks, most agree that the person attacked were either bothering the dog or were someplace where they didn't belong.
This is ,to say the least , a touchy subject.
"Its better to live one day as a Lion than a Lifetime as a Lamb".

"The final test of a leader is that he leaves behind him in other men the conviction and will to carry on."

Proud Owner of:
1970 Dodge Charger R/T
1993 Dodge Ram Charger
1998 Freightliner Classic XL

lumpy

:horse:< Pitbull. Sooo, don't touch that pitbull? I still like my open huntin' season, or we can just run 'em over with our cars :icon_smile_big:

lumpy

4wheel drive for chasing pitbulls into off road territory,1,000,000 candle power spotlights for treeing angry pitbulls, 360 4 bbl with overdrive for outrunning viscious mobs of rabid pitbulls,heavy duty windshield washer fluid for cleaning blood and guts off of windshield,front mounted crane and hook for snagging and discarding of unwanted carcasses.

TheGhost

Amazing what this discussion degenerated into.....