News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

A Huge Number Of PitBulls are sentence to die next week

Started by IBsmokin, August 23, 2005, 09:10:32 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

CFMopar

Oh I know about the Canary dog now. I remeber reading bout it in the paper here when the talk bout banning pitbulls came up. Its 3x the size of a pitbull. It was bred in brazil i belive and one was resposible for killing a women in san francisco in the early 90s.
1971 Charger SE 440 automatic
2014 Ram EcoDiesel Laramie
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCCkKIkpXr-77fWg7JkeoV_g

CFMopar

Brock Samson

CFMopar

Brock Samson

Shakey

Charged

Quote from: Mopar440+6 on August 23, 2005, 07:19:29 PM
A dog has to be TRAINED to act a certain way, temperment is not genetic.

Dobermans are a German breed. Bred by a tax collector to guard and protect him as he engaged into the dangerous job of tax collection. He selected breeds for this "recipe" depending on what GENETIC traits they NATURALLY contained. Pitbulls, another manmade breed is a cross of terriers and shit  that crossed to later become the pitbull. Named pitbull because they were bred to use thier GENETIC traits for fighting in the "pits" of dogfights.

The temperment IS there GENETICALLY. The "LEVEL" of this temperment is another thing. Upbringings is  the main thing behind this. Not necassarily training. People constantly raise a dog to be pissed off merely by accident, and vice-versa. 

I have been attacked by 3 different Rottweilers, a Chihuaua, and a Blue Heeler that almost killed another guy down the road from me but I have never had a Pit so much as growl at me...  :rotz:

I have said it many times before and will continue to say it the rest of my life. Chows are absolutely the MOST unpredictable and initially violent mother fuckers on Earth. I can approach almost any unfamiliar dog on Earth and pretty much know whats gonna happen , but I NEVER do so with a Chow. Secondly, toy size dogs ALWAYS tend to be more violent than any large bred of dogs. Give them the size of a Doberman or Rott, and you BEST be steppin back.

XXSpiralXX

What the hell ever happened to accountability in this country? Im only 25 and even I remember when people were better than this.
   Some kid got ran over by a car the other day. We should ban all cars. A criminal shot somebody the other day. We have to ban guns for the safety of the kids. The politicians stole our money. No, that doesnt happen, but to make sure it never does we need more laws................

XXSpiralXX

Quote from: twilt on August 23, 2005, 05:41:08 PM
If your dog is a PB, its genetics alone increase the chances.

My little brother had his throat ripped out by two rottweilers when he was 12. He barely survived and has scars to this day. This was many years ago. The owner had the dogs as guards, trained to attack and kill, to go for the throat and other vital areas. He was too lazy to walk them so hed let them out the gate and go run through the park. It just so happened that my little brother and his friends were fishing at the pond that day. Those two dogs were shot after they attacked the police. They were attacking my brother for over an hour, before the cops got there. Nobody could get them off him cuz one would attack and one would guard the other dog.  We had a rottie mix before this incident that was a total sweetheart, and my dads friend raised pits for show. A dog is what you make of it, not what it genetically is capable of. Same as people.
  I know plenty of assholes that got that way cuz they were raised to be assholes. Dogs are easier to train than kids wouldnt you agree?

twilt

Quote from: XXSpiralXX on September 01, 2005, 08:09:17 PM
Quote from: twilt on August 23, 2005, 05:41:08 PM
If your dog is a PB, its genetics alone increase the chances.

My little brother had his throat ripped out by two rottweilers when he was 12. He barely survived and has scars to this day. This was many years ago. The owner had the dogs as guards, trained to attack and kill, to go for the throat and other vital areas. He was too lazy to walk them so hed let them out the gate and go run through the park. It just so happened that my little brother and his friends were fishing at the pond that day. Those two dogs were shot after they attacked the police. They were attacking my brother for over an hour, before the cops got there. Nobody could get them off him cuz one would attack and one would guard the other dog.  We had a rottie mix before this incident that was a total sweetheart, and my dads friend raised pits for show. A dog is what you make of it, not what it genetically is capable of. Same as people.
  I know plenty of assholes that got that way cuz they were raised to be assholes. Dogs are easier to train than kids wouldnt you agree?

okay, you convinced me.........................they should ban rotweillers too.

Nupe

Ahhh... the opportunit for my 2 pennies.  :icon_smile_big:

I've had a "pit bull" for 9 and a half years and she has been great.  Only had one other dog and he was a lab mix and he never listened, would never calm down, and always bit.  Maybe I was just lucky and  my dog has a little mix in her from a "good" breed. :eyes:  My dog thinks she is a person and only problem with her is that she doesn't like other dogs.  Mostly out of fear because she is a whimp.

To say they have a genetic trigger or lock jaws is total ignorance (these 2 things make me laugh like when people talk about thick wall 440's or original 383 hemi cars).  Any dog can snap for a number of reasons.  People train these dogs because they will do anything for the master.  Raised in a good environment they are great dogs.  Still makes me sick when people look down on me for having this breed and when the little punk "thugs" run around here with them to be cool.   :no:

'79 Lil'Red Express.

CFMopar

Im glad most seem to see it my way. Im just hoping this legal challenge wins....

CFMopar

http://video.sympatico.msn.com/video/p.htm?mkt=en-ca&i=06dd8812-5361-4d75-a441-532ff054c774&p=ENCAnews_ENCAtopstories&m=News&mi=Top%20Stories

Nice little clip bout the legal battle.

Nice little fact in the end to put things in perspective.

Since 1983 23 people died from dog attacks in Canada out of the 55 dogs involved. 1 was a pitbull....

Italy has actually banned 97 differnt breeds of dogs including the corgi as stated in the video but also collies (lassie) and the St. Bernard. They started with the pitbull.

Banning breeds isnt the ansewer proper dog ownership is.

CFMopar

Chargerguy74

I didn't read a few of the posts, but anyway, I just learned that there is no such breed as a Pitbull. The name was used for dogs that were put in a pit to fight. Don't know the correct name for what people refer to as a Pitbull, but all dogs came from the same animal....the wolf. Through cross breading and time many different breeds were created. So technically they can't put down/ban Pitbulls only, because they aren't a specific breed.
WANTED: NOS or excellent condition 72-74 4 speed shifter boot for bench or centre armrest car, part number 3467755. It's a rubber boot that looks like it's sewn up leather.

WANTED: My original 440 blocks. Serial # 2A188182 and 3A100002

CFMopar

Thats the main problem with the law so they throw a catch all in like "Or any breed that has the same traits"

LahTera

Twilt ~

Quotei understand and respect your point about the "fault" being in the owners, not the dogs.  However, when 2/3 of all serious dog attacks are attributed to 1% of the dog population...... its no wonder that there are people who want to take action. Its a hell of a lot easier to ban the breed than eliminate the bad apple owners.

But that solves nothing!  If those owners do that to pittbulls and pittbulls get banned, and then if those owners decide to "abide" by that law, do you really think they won't go to another breed to get the same outcome?  So then let's say they all decide, "well, pittbulls are banned, so we'll have to deal with rottweilers."  So, all the folks who used to torture/train pittbulls to fight, maim and destroy now decide to use rottweilers because pittbulls are banned.  So what does the stupid public do?  Ban rottweilers, of course!

No, the owners are definitely responsible.

I don't have a pittbull now, but I have lived around full-blooded ones and owned a half pitt, half lab.  She was my first kid.  She was the BEST dog anyone could ever ask for.  I taught her voice and hand commands.  She'd walk as if she was on a leash, but without one, and I could indicate whether she was to walk on my right or left. 

When Anchorage was going through the debate about banning pittbulls, I'd walk mine downtown without the leash just to prove them wrong.  If some dog attaacked my dog, I could call her out of the fight!  She would actually stop in the middle of a fight and come to me.  I swear, there were times when it seemed like she read my mind.

No, banning pittbulls will only make humans more stupid.  It will give them no chance of learning about pittbulls if they're banned, and they won't have the chance to learn from them.  Those owners who violate the law by treating them wrong will not be delayed in the least by the banning; they'll simply move on or raise their prices for the higher risk. 

And a law like this simply sets precedence for more prejudice.

LahTera

LahTera

Charger 74 ~

You're right about the "breed."  However, wolf is not really part of it.  My pittbull-lab mated with a 97% McKinzie River wolf; she had no wolf in her, but her pups were awesome!  Half wolf, quarter pitt, quarter lab, out of 9 pups, each had its own distinct personality.  Only 2 were males, the oldest dying of parvo.  We managed to save the other nine, the youngest being the other male, who we ended up keeping for 12 years.  That was Axle, so named for getting his head stuck in a tire rim so well that we had to take 2 people to haul him and the rim to ER Vets to have him dislodged.

No, the sole responsibility lies on the owner.  After Robyn, my pitt-lab died, I took in a 3/4-pitt 1/4-lab male, and he did fine until he was abused by a caretaker in NY.  Once he was abused and tasted blood, well, he was much harder to control, and eventually was put down for safety reasons.  Sad story for the dog ... he was, in reality, betrayed by his owners, and bound to pay for it with his life.  But that's my point, too, about it being the owner's responsibility.  They need to know when the dog is not safe and take appropriate action.

LahTera

CFMopar

Most definently. As soon as any dog shows any agrression towards people it should be put down....