News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Flush/fill that migrated into blown head gasket and plugged up radiator. Read on

Started by 70charginglizard, September 17, 2006, 12:00:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

70charginglizard

Got the call back from the Radiator shop.

His first response to me......."THIS THING IS AS PLUGGED AS A STUFFED PIG."

Pretty much so says it all.

There going to hi effeciency recore it for me and check for pressure. 260 dollars.

Hopefully this is the end of my problems.

LET ALL CROSS OUR FINGERS...... :leaving:
70charginglizard

firefighter3931

Wow ! Wasn't it recored a few years back ? I don't see the engine teardown as a waste of time....you definately had issues with the head gaskets and those needed replacing anyway.  ;) If the rad is as plugged as they say it is...then you've found your problem. Got my fingers crossed for ya Kelly.

Ron
68 Charger R/T "Black Pig" Street/Strip bruiser, 70 Charger R/T 440-6bbl Cruiser. Firecore ignition  authorized dealer ; contact me with your needs

70charginglizard

Quote from: firefighter3931 on October 16, 2006, 02:36:12 PM
Wow ! Wasn't it recored a few years back ?

Yep. Was re-cored when I did the motor back in 2001.

All I can think of is over the years and a couple of warm days where I had to top off the radiator at the gas stations that the non distilled water at the gas station overwelmed the corrosion resistance to the coolant and cause the radiator to plug up. Only thing I can think of causing the problem.

I agree. All the headwork is a good thing. It's problems were more than likely a result of the back pressures caused by the plugged up radiator.

I guess ultimately I've just killed two birds with one stone. Good thing or I probably would have been dealing with this same kind of head scratcher a year or two or less from now.

I'll let you know all know if it all works out after the radiator is home and everything is put back together again.
70charginglizard

resq302

Well at least you hopefully found the culprit.  When you flushed the engine, it could have let loose some scale and clogged the tubes easily.  Hopefully that will fix your problem.  Radiator is a lot easier to fix than a cracked block.  Hopefully that is the problem.

Good luck and keep us posted.  At least know you know that everything cooling system wise is good with the exception of the heater core.  Lets keep our fingers crossed on that!
Brian
1969 Dodge Charger (factory 4 speed, H code 383 engine,  AACA Senior winner, 2008 Concours d'Elegance participant, 2009 Concours d'Elegance award winner)
1970 Challenger Convert. factory #'s matching red inter. w/ white body.  318 car built 9/28/69 (AACA Senior winner)
1969 Plymough GTX convertible - original sheet metal, #'s matching drivetrain, T3 Honey Bronze, 1 of 701 produced, 1 of 362 with 440 4 bbl - auto

Steve P.

Steve P.
Holiday, Florida

70charginglizard

Quote from: resq302 on October 16, 2006, 06:30:10 PM
At least know you know that everything cooling system wise is good with the exception of the heater core.  Lets keep our fingers crossed on that!

Don't worry. I think I'm going to put a new heater core in anyway. may as well deal with it now why the coolants out of the system.
70charginglizard

Steve P.

Steve P.
Holiday, Florida

70charginglizard

Well I got my radiator back today and I pick up the heater core tomarrow along with some brand new radiator hoses. Should have it all back together this weekend and ready to fire up.
Sure looks real pretty. The re-cored radiator looks awesome! Those guys at Performance Radiator did an excellant job!

and I figured that as long as I'm at it I may as well repaint the structure in front of it. new radiator decal goes on tomarrow.
Here are the pictures of the radiator back in the engine compartment.
70charginglizard

Steve P.

Steve P.
Holiday, Florida

70charginglizard

Yep.
New radiator rebuild, head rebuild, new cap, new wires, lots of new paint all over can really dress up a motor nice.

Looks tons better than it did when I first started.

But all I really want to see is that magical dial hangin on 180-190 degree's.

Then I'll finally be able to relax for a little while.

70charginglizard

resq302

Looking good.  All you need now to finish off the engine compartment is a correct radiator cap.  That would be a nice little present to yourself when you find out everything is working fine and that magic needle is reading in the 180-190 range.

Keep us posted! :cheers:
Brian
1969 Dodge Charger (factory 4 speed, H code 383 engine,  AACA Senior winner, 2008 Concours d'Elegance participant, 2009 Concours d'Elegance award winner)
1970 Challenger Convert. factory #'s matching red inter. w/ white body.  318 car built 9/28/69 (AACA Senior winner)
1969 Plymough GTX convertible - original sheet metal, #'s matching drivetrain, T3 Honey Bronze, 1 of 701 produced, 1 of 362 with 440 4 bbl - auto

70charginglizard

SUCESS BOYS!!!

NEED I SAY MORE.

I will anyway. Needle holding firmly at 185 degree's. Doesn't even move regardless of traffic conditions.

I am one happy camper again. Or should I say motor head.  :icon_smile_approve:

Thanks again for all yourguys feedback and help. Much appreciated.

I'm outta here.

peace.

:drive:
70charginglizard

resq302

Congrats!!!!!  Glad to hear that the problem was found and everything is back to normal.  Now go out and lay a patch for me and everyone else here in celebration. :drive:
Brian

firefighter3931

Congrats Kelly....nice work !  :icon_smile_big:

Here's a well deserved  :cheers: for ya.  :icon_smile_cool:

Ron
68 Charger R/T "Black Pig" Street/Strip bruiser, 70 Charger R/T 440-6bbl Cruiser. Firecore ignition  authorized dealer ; contact me with your needs

Steve P.

Glad to hear it brother.. Now go give yourself reason to need new rear rubber... 

Oh, and which T-STAT did you use?? ??  :devil:

:cheers: :cheers: :cheers: :cheers: :cheers: :cheers: :cheers: :cheers:  This is for after you get back home..
Steve P.
Holiday, Florida

70charginglizard

Quote from: Steve P. on October 20, 2006, 08:34:31 PM
Glad to hear it brother.. Now go give yourself reason to need new rear rubber... 

Oh, and which T-STAT did you use?? ??  :devil:

:cheers: :cheers: :cheers: :cheers: :cheers: :cheers: :cheers: :cheers:  This is for after you get back home..

180 stat. Working wonderfully
70charginglizard