News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

front susp done,more pics....

Started by 69 OUR/TEA, October 01, 2006, 10:42:43 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

69 OUR/TEA

Other than the sway bar,the front suspension is all in ,and can finally put this car back onto front tires again.The rotors are on but I have to send out my calipers to get rebuilt,and buy the sway bar links and bushing kit,and that should be it.Some pics....

y3chargerrt

tan top

:scope:   looks real good   ,   good idea on using  angled  grease nipples on the inner tie rod ends  :thumbs:, i done the same  :yesnod:
Feel free to post any relevant picture you think we all might like to see in the threads below!

Charger Stuff 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,86777.0.html
Chargers in the background where you least expect them 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,97261.0.html
C500 & Daytonas & Superbirds
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,95432.0.html
Interesting pictures & Stuff 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,109484.925.html
Old Dodge dealer photos wanted
 http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,120850.0.html

beenaround

Silver R/T

http://www.cardomain.com/id/mitmaks

1968 silver/black/red striped R/T
My Charger is hybrid, it runs on gas and on tears of ricers
2001 Ram 2500 CTD
1993 Mazda MX-3 GS SE
1995 Ford Cobra SVT#2722

Shakey

Looks great!   :yesnod:

A matter of fact - I just assembled mine this weekend also.

I have thread under way where I'll post some pics on Monday.

Did you use Moog products?

Lowprofile

"Its better to live one day as a Lion than a Lifetime as a Lamb".

"The final test of a leader is that he leaves behind him in other men the conviction and will to carry on."

Proud Owner of:
1970 Dodge Charger R/T
1993 Dodge Ram Charger
1998 Freightliner Classic XL

69 OUR/TEA

Thanks Lowprofile,yes it's B5 , white top ,white stripe,B7 interior.

Lowprofile

Beautiful! My 70 R/T is B5, blue interior, white body stripe. Hopefully, I'll get to start my resto soon!  Can't wait to see the finished product. :icon_smile_big:
"Its better to live one day as a Lion than a Lifetime as a Lamb".

"The final test of a leader is that he leaves behind him in other men the conviction and will to carry on."

Proud Owner of:
1970 Dodge Charger R/T
1993 Dodge Ram Charger
1998 Freightliner Classic XL

resq302

Brian
1969 Dodge Charger (factory 4 speed, H code 383 engine,  AACA Senior winner, 2008 Concours d'Elegance participant, 2009 Concours d'Elegance award winner)
1970 Challenger Convert. factory #'s matching red inter. w/ white body.  318 car built 9/28/69 (AACA Senior winner)
1969 Plymough GTX convertible - original sheet metal, #'s matching drivetrain, T3 Honey Bronze, 1 of 701 produced, 1 of 362 with 440 4 bbl - auto

pb24

Did you powder coat the front suspension parts and did you replace the torsion bars and if you did what size bars did you use.

Wakko

Great job, thanks for posting.  Good idea on the angles, I'm goign to duplicate that.
Ian

'69 Basketcase, bluetooth powered

Boynton 236 F&AM

69 OUR/TEA

Not powdercoat, everything cleaned ,wether new or original,glass beaded,and then etch primed,then a cast iron paint to duplicate them to be natural finish.Very important to use etch prime so the paint stays on and the parts won't start rusting.K frame and upper control arms is a black polyurethane epoxy primer,very durable,called HSP 2128.

69 OUR/TEA

also pb24,torsion bars are originals.

HeavyFuel

Quote from: 69 OUR/TEA on October 02, 2006, 10:21:10 PM
Not powdercoat, everything cleaned ,wether new or original,glass beaded,and then etch primed,then a cast iron paint to duplicate them to be natural finish.Very important to use etch prime so the paint stays on and the parts won't start rusting.K frame and upper control arms is a black polyurethane epoxy primer,very durable,called HSP 2128.

Did you use a flattener with the HSP 2128, or does it have the right amount of 60-70 % gloss that we are looking for on the suspension parts?  It is called a primer, but you can use it as a finish coat?

69 OUR/TEA

Hi Heavyfuel,no flattener,yes you can use it as a topcpoat,but if you use it,besides the 3:1 mixture,you must add UA-11 accelerator to make it dry fully.This product is perfect if you want to fill in rust pitting,it builds awesome,sands great,and is very durable.It is alot thicker than your run of the mill epoxy primers.DP is a great epoxy primer,but has no uv protection and will eventually chalk out on you if exposed enough.This HSP 2128 has that perfect sheen of low gloss for items like K frames,rears,brake booster,master cylinder,brackets,etc.I did my grill frame with it but it is just a little to glossy,so I will be redoing it in black basecoat and flattenening clear over it.The reason for this is if you use a single stage and flatten it,when you go to clean and rub just a little,you can actually make a shiny spot.

HeavyFuel

Cool. Thanks.

I noticed that you have the upper control arms painted black, and a lot of people do it that way.  I have inspected mine, unrestored as of now, and it looks like they were coated in comso, just like the lower.  No traces of black paint.  I wonder if they came a couple different ways? 

69 OUR/TEA

I thought that the bottoms were either  done in cosmo coating or left natural,so thats why I did mine in a "natural looking finish",as for the uppers,yes,I have seen most do them in black,and unsure actually used my friends 4,800 mile bird as reference for this color,his are black.

Just 6T9 CHGR

Lowers could have come black as well....

Uppers I have always seen black (not that they couldnt have come with cosmoline on them......)
Chris' '69 Charger R/T

69 OUR/TEA

Thanks again Chris,thats what I thought,and after seeing my friends low mile correct bird with black uppers,that's the way I would do mine.

histoy

You've done an excellent job.   The components look great.  Just wondering whether you used Loctite when installing the steering gear box mounting bolts?  The bolts on my '64 Belvedere loosened after driving it for a summer, and the same thing happened to my friend's '69 Super Bee.  We each used Loctite, and they haven't loosened again.

nick_iam

is that epoxy primer more durable than powder coat? also, how does that stuff apply? spray gun? where do you get the stuff and how much did you spend? i dont know anything about paint/body work but willing to try  ;D

also, whats good to coat the inner fender wells/engine bay?
'72 charger | 318 | auto - work in progress

69 OUR/TEA

Thanks histoy,I did not use any type of threadlocker,there were factory lockwashers there.But since you mentioned this,I will keep my eyes on them and if they do get loose,i will take one out at a time and threadlock them.   

Hi nick_jam,as far as I would beleive,no type of paint is going to be more durable than powder coating.Like I had said ,this stuff is very durable,and will outperform any rattle can paint you canput on,I'm not saying not to use certain companys spray can coatings,because if you are not set up with a compressor,spray guns and proper place to be doing it in ,than your alternative is what you can readliy get and use.As far as powder coating your K-frame,your are probably going to spend less than going out and buying these tools to do so,because yes,this primer is sprayed.I cannot rember the exact cost but it was around $120.00 or so for the gallon and catalyst,I already had the accellerator.This product is from a PPG automtive paint store.I beleive they can powder coat black now in just about any gloss level you want to achieve,if that helps.

nick_iam

ok, thanks for the info. yeh i have no $ or room for a good setup like that =/  ill aim at the powder coating.

also, whats good for engine bay/fender well areas? is that "rubberized" undercoating any good?
'72 charger | 318 | auto - work in progress

HeavyFuel

Quote from: Just 6T9_CHGR.... on October 04, 2006, 04:22:43 PM
Lowers could have come black as well....

Uppers I have always seen black (not that they couldnt have come with cosmoline on them......)

Just a quick follow up in case anyone isi wondering about the cosmo upper control arms.  Both of mine are like this, looks like cosmo.  I redid them with Eastwood's Detail Gray.