News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Project '69 V21 Hood Treatment *PAINTED*!! SUCCESS!!!

Started by bill440rt, November 09, 2006, 03:27:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bill440rt

OK. If you read my last post on this topic, it turned out to be somewhat of a disaster. I managed to get all that glue residue off from using decals (WON'T do that again!).  :brickwall:

Chris over at Phoenix Graphics hooked me up with a set of custom made "440" callouts in vinyl stencil material, designed for painting purposes. It is made for doing these graphics in paint. He even sent me an extra set of "negatives", in the event of doing this procedure the opposite way. (Black stripes painted first, THEN "440's".)  :thumbs:

So, I laid out the stencils the same as the decals. Then, resprayed the black base. I then peeled them off. NO residue!!  :boogie:

Here it is prior to clear.
"Strive for perfection in everything. Take the best that exists and make it better. If it doesn't exist, create it. Accept nothing nearly right or good enough." Sir Henry Rolls Royce

THE CHARGER PUNK

bill440rt

Here are some after shots, unmasked.
The hood was already sanded prior to these stripes, prepped for blending. When I do the overall paint job, I'll blend some more green into the hood to avoid the color not matching due to different painting conditions. Ya never know, better safe than sorry. I'll also sand the graphics here with 1000, & bury it again with more clear so once it is wet sanded & buffed you won't see any tape lines or paint edges.

I'm just glad this stage is over. Now it's on to final blocking the car to get it ready for paint. I'm getting anxious!  :drive:
"Strive for perfection in everything. Take the best that exists and make it better. If it doesn't exist, create it. Accept nothing nearly right or good enough." Sir Henry Rolls Royce

bill440rt

I dunno what happened there. Here's the pics for real this time:

bill440rt

tan top

Feel free to post any relevant picture you think we all might like to see in the threads below!

Charger Stuff 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,86777.0.html
Chargers in the background where you least expect them 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,97261.0.html
C500 & Daytonas & Superbirds
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,95432.0.html
Interesting pictures & Stuff 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,109484.925.html
Old Dodge dealer photos wanted
 http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,120850.0.html

Shakey

Looks awesome Bill!   :yesnod:

Soooo, the suspense is killin' me...what size motor are you gonna put in that beast? 

A Hemi perhaps!   :punkrocka:

bill440rt

Quote from: Shakey on November 09, 2006, 07:47:35 PM
Looks awesome Bill!   :yesnod:

Soooo, the suspense is killin' me...what size motor are you gonna put in that beast? 

A Hemi perhaps!   :punkrocka:

Ha-ha, Shakey!!  :D
Plans actually call for a 440 6-pack. I have the engine, it came with the car already (non-original), on an engine stand. It currently has a Holley 4bbl set-up on it. I'll need to go thru the motor, I don't know what it looks like inside. Valvetrain is stock, at least that looks good. A tear-down is in order at least for inspection purposes. I'm not sure if I'll run the Eddy heads, it depends how much work was done to the existing cast-iron heads. Other than the valvetrain, there might be some work done inside the engine, as there is a homemade deep oil pan on it. We'll see.
I'm also looking into one of those 4-spd automatic overdrive units. The one from Keisler is very nice, but pricey. All depends how the budget goes.

SPECIAL THANKS again to our moderator Chris, JUST_6T9 CHGR. His help was invaluable in helping me lay out these hood stripes. And Chris, I still have that extra set of these decals in "negatives."  :icon_smile_big: :cheers:

resq302

Bill,  looks damn fine if you ask me.  Really nice job.  Can't wait to see it in person.
Brian
1969 Dodge Charger (factory 4 speed, H code 383 engine,  AACA Senior winner, 2008 Concours d'Elegance participant, 2009 Concours d'Elegance award winner)
1970 Challenger Convert. factory #'s matching red inter. w/ white body.  318 car built 9/28/69 (AACA Senior winner)
1969 Plymough GTX convertible - original sheet metal, #'s matching drivetrain, T3 Honey Bronze, 1 of 701 produced, 1 of 362 with 440 4 bbl - auto

Shakey

As I said - looks very cool!   :thumbs:

I enjoy your progress updates.   :yesnod:

Hemidog

Just 6T9 CHGR

Bill that looks OUTRAGEOUS!

You must email me larger pics ASAP!

PS---let me know next year when the optimum time/temp for a spray out will be ;)  It will be done!
Chris' '69 Charger R/T

firefighter3931

68 Charger R/T "Black Pig" Street/Strip bruiser, 70 Charger R/T 440-6bbl Cruiser. Firecore ignition  authorized dealer ; contact me with your needs

jaak

Ghoste

Wow!  That looks great.  I can't wait to see the final product.

hemi-hampton

Was the Call Outs a 69 Option? The Black out Yes but what about the 440 Call outs? 70 Yes but dont know about 69? V-24 in 70 with Callouts. LEON. ???

Ghoste

I asked the same question a couple of weeks ago and the answer is no.  It should have been though, don't you agree?

Troy

Sarcasm detector, that's a real good invention.

Just 6T9 CHGR

Quote from: hemi-hampton on November 12, 2006, 08:07:46 PM
Was the Call Outs a 69 Option? The Black out Yes but what about the 440 Call outs? 70 Yes but dont know about 69? V-24 in 70 with Callouts. LEON. ???

Nope '70 only....I added them to mine to be a bit "different"...I see the V21 option on my car in the near future :scratchchin:
Chris' '69 Charger R/T

bill440rt

Quote from: Just 6T9_CHGR.... on November 12, 2006, 09:17:56 PM
Quote from: hemi-hampton on November 12, 2006, 08:07:46 PM

Nope '70 only....I added them to mine to be a bit "different"...I see the V21 option on my car in the near future :scratchchin:

Yup. I liked the V21 hood stripes, and love how it looks on the '70's with the callouts. I just decided to combine the two for something different. I haven't seen this combo on another car yet. Most of the time I see just two separate stripes painted like the '70's with the callouts.
What you can't see in the pics is that the white "440" callouts are actually 3-stage PEARL white, not just straight white paint. Out in the sun it just looks awesome!

Chris, looking at my crystal ball I see the V21 option on your car, too!!  :2thumbs: :cheers:

hemi-hampton

41husk

1969 Dodge Charger 500 440/727
1970 Challenger convertible 340/727
1970 Plymouth Duster FM3
1974 Dodge Dart /6/904
1983 Plymouth Scamp GT 2.2 Auto
1950 Dodge Pilot house pick up

Brock Samson

that's a GREAT Job!!!
here's something related.. kinda'..  :-\

Just 6T9 CHGR

Quote from: Brock Samson on November 17, 2006, 01:55:20 AM
that's a GREAT Job!!!
here's something related.. kinda'.. :-\

mmmm...not really :-\ ;)

This one is more related.......kinda sorta

Kinda sorta what it would look like on my car  ;D
Chris' '69 Charger R/T

THE CHARGER PUNK

resq302

Chris, you are right, that would look good on your car :yesnod:.  Same call out colors?
Brian
1969 Dodge Charger (factory 4 speed, H code 383 engine,  AACA Senior winner, 2008 Concours d'Elegance participant, 2009 Concours d'Elegance award winner)
1970 Challenger Convert. factory #'s matching red inter. w/ white body.  318 car built 9/28/69 (AACA Senior winner)
1969 Plymough GTX convertible - original sheet metal, #'s matching drivetrain, T3 Honey Bronze, 1 of 701 produced, 1 of 362 with 440 4 bbl - auto

Brock Samson

Just 6T9 CHGR

Quote from: Brock Samson on November 20, 2006, 01:08:13 AM
oh so your goin with a '70 hood then?.. :-\

Yes as well as 70 fenders & that gawd awful front bumper  :no: :moon:
Chris' '69 Charger R/T

resq302

Chris,

You are going to disassemble your entire front clip just to have that hood stripe treatment?  Wow.  Better man than me.  If I had such a perfect car like yours, I would never take the chance of tearing into it like that.
Brian

Just 6T9 CHGR

Quote from: resq302 on November 20, 2006, 05:31:00 PM
Chris,

You are going to disassemble your entire front clip just to have that hood stripe treatment? Wow. Better man than me. If I had such a perfect car like yours, I would never take the chance of tearing into it like that.

Wow Brian, you're really dropping off the deep end......step back slowly from the computer :)

Where is Troy's sarcasm detector when you need it?  Sheesh bro, you think I would stoop down to a '70 from the holy grail of Chargers...... the 1969?

You must be mad!  :ahum:  ;) ;)
Chris' '69 Charger R/T

VZcharger

Hey Chris how do you think that would look on my hood. With the awful bumper and grille? :icon_smile_big:

Just 6T9 CHGR

I think it would look great Vinny ;)

I knew I had to ruffle at least one feather with my comment.....didn't expect it to be you though Vin :D
Chris' '69 Charger R/T

Chris G.

I don't know what's worse, Pontiac Boy (aka 6T9) trying to justify his GTO, or the fact that Brian thought Chris was gonna take his car apart? Man, '69 owners...truly the blonde's of the car game.  :rotz: :yesnod:

ps- What is the color of the '69 in this thread going to be? Sublime? I rest my case.  :P

Just 6T9 CHGR

Chris...is it penis envy.....eerrr.....  Charger year envy.   Feeling a bit inadequate again are we?  Don't hate us because we're beautiful :nana:
Chris' '69 Charger R/T

resq302

Chris G,

Tell me that you have never done something totally off the wall before.  I, for one, have tried something like that.  I took a 85 Jeep CJ 7 and removed the body and put a custom fiberglass body kit on it called a Hum J-7.  Basically it looked like a Hummer from the front and sides with a one piece tilt nose like a Hummer would.  It was an experience I will say and I learned a lot of things from doing that build.  Mostly I would NEVER DO  IT AGAIN.  Lots of trial and errors since the original Jeep doors, windshield frame, and roof were reused.  It looked great when it was done but WTF was I thinking.  I will have to try and dig in my attic to find some pics of it.  So, if I have done something as extreme as doing something like that, I am sure that others have done stuff the like. 
Brian

bill440rt

:ahum: :image_294343:   :D

C'mon ladies. Don't let this post turn into a bickering match.  :smash:

I have a great idea to solve all your dilemnas. Just buy one of EACH YEAR!!! You'll learn to love all of them the same, like your children or pets.

Psst, 6T9... Your hood will look outstanding with this V21. No need to take half your car apart or turn it into a '70, either. We know you'd hate that.

Psst, Chris G.... Yup. The car is gonna be Sublime!!!  :D :punkrocka:

resq302

AAhhhh.... to have the money and space to have one of each year.   :scratchchin: That would solve the urge to have one of every extreme.  Stock, mild, and full blown WILD :METAL:  Ok, back to reality now.
Brian

Silver R/T

http://www.cardomain.com/id/mitmaks

1968 silver/black/red striped R/T
My Charger is hybrid, it runs on gas and on tears of ricers
2001 Ram 2500 CTD
1993 Mazda MX-3 GS SE
1995 Ford Cobra SVT#2722