News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Kansas to teach Intelligent Design

Started by CFMopar, August 28, 2005, 09:39:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

CFMopar

I for one like this theory better.
http://www.venganza.org/

And the proof of the pirates and global warming! It all makes sense now!
1971 Charger SE 440 automatic
2014 Ram EcoDiesel Laramie
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCCkKIkpXr-77fWg7JkeoV_g

Brock Samson

I heard that guy took the tee-shirt deposits and dissapeared..

Steve P.

He couldn't help it. He just wanted a taste!! :devil:
Steve P.
Holiday, Florida

RD

67 Plymouth Barracuda, 69 Plymouth Barracuda, 73 Charger SE, 75 D100, 80 Sno-Commander

CFMopar

The guy who created the fsm is a jackass? How so? His point is valaid. Itelligent Design should not be taught in a science class. Religion class yes science class no.

RD

Quote from: Thread_Marshal on August 29, 2005, 09:47:24 AM
The guy who created the fsm is a jackass? How so? His point is valaid. Itelligent Design should not be taught in a science class. Religion class yes science class no.

who are you to say whether or not a class should be taught or not? until you dictate the department of education's policies, i will take your OPINION as nothing more than that, an opinion.

the guy has made a total mockery of the situation by coming up with FSM.  Do not discredit the process of the determination of what is taught in schools by being a smart ass about it, do something that will not initially bring forth negativism and retort.  This guy is trying to address the issue in a comical tone that will not make those that disagree with him, agree with him.

Come on, his approach is just like every left wing/ right wing approach used when trying to debate (argue) things on this forum.  There is an initial statement, debate, argument, and hostilities and then finally the agree to disagree approach.

As far as your statement about ID not being taught in science class, my question to you is:

"Is your answer based upon factual evidence as why it should not be taught or just how you feel, i.e. faith based?" that is a rhetorical loaded gun question there.

Hey, I called the guy a jackass because of the approach he took.  That is my opinion, and I can call anyone a jackass as I see fit.  If you do not like my description of him, that is fine also.  But, what you say here will not change my opinion of that jackass. kapeche? :D

I am not against ID being taught in science class or as an elective.  Why do science classes teach evolution now?  Its a theory so I guess that makes it okay.  So if ID was a theory then there wouldnt be this argument would there? 

Are we afraid that all those ID classes will cause our students to become religious fanatics practicing such crazy concepts of:

1) Love thy neighbor, Love thy enemy
2) Do not commit adultery
3) Respect thy father and mother
4) Thou shall not steal
5) Thou shall not murder

(I included principles of christianity just to light a flame under your proverbial arse)

Well maybe not all of the commandments, but just a couple :D  Come on, I think everyone looks at the idea of ID being taught in class as a way of brainwashing our children into becoming religious fanatics.  What harm could this type of teaching actually cause?  If it is a pure matter of the separation of church and state, I seriously do not believe that the classes will be formed on Christianic policy considering there is more than the Christian view on creationism within this world.  There are many views on creationism (ID) to include the Hindu, Wiccan, native African, Australian Aborigine, Mesopotamian, and Nordic versions to creationism.  I am sure that all of those versions of creationism will have to be taught at the same time.  It will end up being more of a philosophy class into the study of religious creationism then anything.

Well, at least, that is the way I propose it should be.
67 Plymouth Barracuda, 69 Plymouth Barracuda, 73 Charger SE, 75 D100, 80 Sno-Commander

nh_mopar_fan

Creationism and ID are not the same thing. 

Read a book.

RD

Quote from: nh_mopar_fan on August 29, 2005, 12:16:56 PM
Creationism and ID are not the same thing.  

Read a book.

I did:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Intelligent_design

*edit*
I am stating this based upon the philosophical fact that creationism within the many geographic areas of the world are based on Intelligent Design, and it is from this fact that I do not stick to the Christianic form of Intelligent Design to be the mainstay.

look below to what I mean:

Quote from: RD on August 29, 2005, 12:11:05 PM
not all but just a couple :D   Come on, I think everyone looks at the idea of ID being taught in class as a way of brainwashing our children into becoming religious fanatics.   What harm could this type of teaching actually cause?   If it is a pure matter of the separation of church and state, I seriously do not believe that the classes will be formed on Christianic policy considering there is more than the Christian view on creationism within this world.   There are many views on creationism (ID) to include the Hindu, Wiccan, native African, Australian Aborigine, Mesopotamian, and Nordic versions to creationism.   I am sure that all of those versions of creationism will have to be taught at the same time.   It will end up being more of a philosophy class into the study of religious creationism then anything.

ANYWHOO!!!

THIS IS WHY I CALLED THE GUY A JACKASS ANYWAYS:

the guy has made a total mockery of the situation by coming up with FSM.  Do not discredit the process of the determination of what is taught in schools by being a smart ass about it, do something that will not initially bring forth negativism and retort.  This guy is trying to address the issue in a comical tone that will not make those that disagree with him, agree with him.  *edit* He has put up a website that will have those that agree with him applaud him, and those that disagree with him, disagree with him even moreso.

CFMopar

Intelligent Design: a theory that nature and complex biological structures were designed by intelligent beings and were not created by chance:
                                      Eg: an intelligent being could be anything from Aliens, God or the FSM

Creationism:   Belief in the literal interpretation of the account of the creation of the universe and of all living things related in the Bible.
                           And who created everything in the bible? God an intelligent being.   

They maybe slightly different but the main point is the same.

Science is about the observation, identification, description, experimental investigation, and theoretical explanation of phenomena.   Evolution is something that can be studied via fossils, sediments, genetics, dna etc. Both ID and Creationism cant be because their is no way to prove an intelligent being that created everything exist (at least not yet). These require faith and science isn't about faith.

I'm not anti Christian (I'm roman catholic) or anything and I do believe that ID/Creationism have their place but its in a religion class. Thats where I learnt about it.

CFMopar

RD

did it again! lol sorry TM hehehehhehe :D

CFMopar

Quote from: RD on August 29, 2005, 12:11:05 PM
not all but just a couple :D   Come on, I think everyone looks at the idea of ID being taught in class as a way of brainwashing our children into becoming religious fanatics.   What harm could this type of teaching actually cause?   If it is a pure matter of the separation of church and state, I seriously do not believe that the classes will be formed on Christianic policy considering there is more than the Christian view on creationism within this world.   There are many views on creationism (ID) to include the Hindu, Wiccan, native African, Australian Aborigine, Mesopotamian, and Nordic versions to creationism.   I am sure that all of those versions of creationism will have to be taught at the same time.   It will end up being more of a philosophy class into the study of religious creationism then anything.

I agree I don't see it causing any harm. But in Canada we have religion class that studies world religions and thats were we learnt about that not in science class.

hehe dont worry bout the edit I caught it this time when I went to post. ;) so far this argument is staying civil and maybe we can get the whole politics thing unbanned here  :angel:

Vainglory, Esq.

"Intelligent Design" is creationism masquerading as science.  But it takes more than fancy lingo to make rational sense.

In my opinion (yes, that's an opinion RD, but I vote for school board members, meaning it's quite a valid one), creationism and intelligent design have no place in public schools.  If there are people who want their kids indoctrinated with that drivel, they ought send them off to church camp.

Vainglory, Esq.

By the way, the whole idea that evolution is "just a theory and therefore shouldn't be taught any more than any other possible explanation" is based on a complete misunderstanding of what consitutes a scientific theory.  Gravity is a theory, but you don't hear anyone clamoring for schools to teach "intelligent levitation" because gravity is somehow invalid because it's "only" a theory.  In point of fact, all modern biological sciences are based on evolution - without it, biology cannot be taught.

RD

Quote from: Vainglory on August 29, 2005, 02:15:45 PM
By the way, the whole idea that evolution is "just a theory and therefore shouldn't be taught any more than any other possible explanation" is based on a complete misunderstanding of what consitutes a scientific theory.   Gravity is a theory, but you don't hear anyone clamoring for schools to teach "intelligent levitation" because gravity is somehow invalid because it's "only" a theory.   In point of fact, all modern biological sciences are based on evolution - without it, biology cannot be taught.

it wasnt a complete misunderstanding of what constitutes a scientific theory that cause me to say what I said, it was the fact that those of the secular nature look at religion as being theoretical or mythic, whereas those that are of the religious nature view evolution as theoretical or mythic.   You have two sides to the issue, and that is why I stated that.

As far as the drivel remark, I do not believe it was warranted or necessary.   Your personal beliefs about religion are fine, but there is no need to talk down upon them just because your beliefs are different than theirs.  

Try and keep the topic focused on the actual issues please, and not use the topic to expose YOUR negative drivel that does not progress the discussion, but instead just tries to denounce one side as being of less value.   There is no sense at all on debasing one side or the other, we can accomplish a good discussion without the condescension thank you.

OOPS, forgot about your username :D :D

Vainglory, Esq.

Don't confuse yourself, RD.  My personal belief (which is fine) is that creationism is drivel.  The topic at hand (which is what we need to keep the discussion on) is creationism.  My comments stand.

nh_mopar_fan

I have no issue with ID being taught in a philosophy class in schools.

RD

Quote from: nh_mopar_fan on August 30, 2005, 06:14:24 PM
I have no issue with ID being taught in a philosophy class in schools.

i actually think it should be taught as a philosophy class, but I understand that the powers that be will not be satisfied with that.  They fail to understand such Christian philosophers such as St. Thomas Aquinas based much of their Christian philosophy on such teachings by Socrates, Plato and Aristotle (but mainly Plato's writings of Socrates).  So, yes, I agree with you on that one totally.

RD

Quote from: Vainglory on August 30, 2005, 04:45:47 PM
Don't confuse yourself, RD.   My personal belief (which is fine) is that creationism is drivel.   The topic at hand (which is what we need to keep the discussion on) is creationism.   My comments stand.

totally not confused, I can guarantee you.

CFMopar

Even philosophy class wouldn't bother me either. I just don't think it belongs in a science class for the reasons stated above

My high school was St. Thomas Aquinas by the way  ;D

emily

I thought the site was good satire and well written.   Made me laugh.

BTW, in keeping with the spirit of the FSM, September 19th is International Talk Like A Pirate Day.   Take heed...     LOL

http://www.talklikeapirate.com/piratehome.html

derailed

Quote from: Vainglory on August 29, 2005, 02:13:17 PM
creationism and intelligent design have no place in public schools.   If there are people who want their kids indoctrinated with that drivel, they ought send them off to church camp.
:iagree:

Telvis

Remeber that this country was built on Christian values and principles. There's just as mush evidence of creation or inteligence design as there is evolution. I am no expert but the theory of evolution has a lot of holes in it. I don't want to push my religious views on anyone. I do however want my children to be able to make intelligent decisions. Teaching evolution as fact is every bit as wrong as pushing a particular religion in a public school. Give the children the facts and let them make their own decisions.

RD

Quote from: Telvis on August 31, 2005, 10:38:07 AM
Remeber that this country was built on Christian values and principles. There's just as mush evidence of creation or inteligence design as there is evolution. I am no expert but the theory of evolution has a lot of holes in it. I don't want to push my religious views on anyone. I do however want my children to be able to make intelligent decisions. Teaching evolution as fact is every bit as wrong as pushing a particular religion in a public school. Give the children the facts and let them make their own decisions.

AMEN!

but i think you just opened a can of worms :D

CFMopar

What physical proof of ID is their? Just out of curiosity. I really want to know.

Like I said i dont think it shouldnt be taught but not in a science class As I dont seen any physical means of proving it.