News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Talladega restoration pictures

Started by jonw29, December 26, 2006, 11:30:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Aero426

Quote from: Charged on December 23, 2007, 04:14:21 AM
Am I missing something here? Why is a Ford on a Mopar site. And why is it with the aero cars?

Once you get an Aero Car, you wouldn't mind owning the whole set.

pettybird

pettybird

Quote from: Ghoste on December 23, 2007, 10:39:34 AM
It's more interesting than Jamie Lynn Spears.

Well, now you know she puts out  :smilielol:

Ghoste

Like I said, the Talladega holds more interest.  :icon_smile_big:

Aero426

My garage is an equal opportunity garage.

jonw29

If I understand the Aerocar history correctly and I have been wrong before (ask my wife).The C500 was first,Ford came back with the Talladega and the Spoiler II,Dodge came back wtith the Daytona and then The Superbird.As someone said earlier,I am a fan of all of the and would love to have an example of each.

69_500

Well I love reading about the talladega's as well, but call me biased but I actually like the Cyclone Spoiler II"s a little more than the Talladega's. Not sure why, but I really love their design.

pettybird

428 CJ>351W.  I like the 'cushier' Merc, too, but a white Talladega is so cool. 

About the only thing I'd add to your aero car thinking is that the '68 Fords were a lot faster than the '68 Mopars. 

OK also add that Petty drove a Ford in protest over not getting a Daytona, which prompted Plymouth to build the 'birds.

learical1

Quote from: pettybird on December 23, 2007, 10:33:39 PM
OK also add that Petty drove a Ford in protest over not getting a Daytona, which prompted Plymouth to build the 'birds.

actually, Petty wanted the Charger 500, the Daytona wasn't out yet.
Bruce

rav440

Quote from: CHARGER_FAN on December 27, 2006, 06:27:34 PM
Welcome aboard!
One interesting tidbit I read somewhere is that the front & rear bumpers on Talladega's are the same, the front is just V'd a bit more in the middle.

Quote from: hotrod98 on December 27, 2006, 08:59:14 AM

Quote from: dkn1997 on December 27, 2006, 08:16:14 AM
I was watching some show and they had eithe a cyclone or a talledega with a very "superbird/daytona" looking nose on it. extremely limited production. the car was white if I remember right.

Sounds like the King Cobra. The front end reminds me of a Datsun 240Z.
:iagree: I think they only made 4 or 5 of these?

...and only one of these, if I recall?

sorry but those have to be 2 of the ugliest cars ive ever seen  :rotz:

1973 PLYMOUTH road runner GTX

Ghoste

That's what a lot of people said (and still say) about Chrysler's wing cars though.

rav440

Quote from: Ghoste on December 24, 2007, 11:02:09 AM
That's what a lot of people said (and still say) about Chrysler's wing cars though.

yes i know , it just took time for people to get use to them . the SUPERBIRD & DAYTONA have to be 2 of the sharpest cars ever made . im not sure those 2 TORINOs ever would have gained the respect that the SUPERBIRD & DAYTONA have . :cheers:
1973 PLYMOUTH road runner GTX

hemigeno

I think one of the things which hurt the KingCobras was the DOT mandate for a front bumper which kicked in 1/1/70.  That ruins the super-aero look which the Daytonas & 'Birds have - but then again, that's just my opinion.

All the Aero cars are neat from a historical perspective, since they were limited-edition street cars whose sole purpose was to exist for their big brothers to go duke it out on the oval tracks.  It's amazing how much money Chrysler (and probably FoMoCo) lost on these cars for the sake of bragging rights.

:Twocents:

69_500

I personally do like the King Cobra's and I wish that they had actually went ahead and made enough units to race that car. It would have been interesting to see how it matched up with the other Aero cars.

Ghoste

I think it would have been interesting to see it go up against a 3rd gen Charger Daytona.  No restrictor plates, just wing cars flat out.

pettybird

Tires still would have been the limiting factor.

UFO

Doug has the right idea,  get one of each.
That has got to be a rough decision to make which shall I drive today?

69_500

So how many members of the DSAC have one of each of the main aero cars? IE the 500, Daytona, Superbird, Talladega, and Cylcone spoiler II? I'm guessing around 15 or so. Then again I'm sure there are some who have the HEMI version of each of the Chrysler cars, and then the ford cars as well.

Aero426

I only know of a couple people with all five production cars.  I'm sure there are a few more, but I'll bet they don't exceed the number of fingers on both hands.    Can't think of anyone with a Talladega/Spoiler II and a 500 by themselves.

Highbanked Hauler

A Talladega or a Torino for that fact looks about two inches narrower than a 68-70 Charger. Anybody know if that is true??
69 Charger 500, original owner  
68 Charger former parts car in process of rebuilding
92 Cummins Turbo Diesel
04 PT Cruiser

69_500

I would have thought that there was at least a dozen members with all 5. Does Adkins have a Cyclone spoiler II?

pettybird

Aero426

Quote from: 69_500 on December 25, 2007, 09:50:39 PM
I would have thought that there was at least a dozen members with all 5. Does Adkins have a Cyclone spoiler II?

Mike bought Steve Staffieri's collection of T's & II's some years back.  So yes, he a "few". LOL.

69_500

He has a 500, but as he says its that ugly Green color. He would much prefer a B5 blue one to match everything else.

I know there are a lot of guys who have all 3 of the Mopar aero cars, but of those I don't know many with the Fords as well.

So now the question is Doug, when are you going to buy a 500? I mean man your already 3/5th of the way to a complete collection, why stop now?

Ghoste

When you talk about complete with the Fords do you mean both Mercury's?