News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Converting 69 Charger Wipers from 2 to 3 speed

Started by Chatt69chgr, January 10, 2007, 12:36:36 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Chatt69chgr

Has anyone ever attempted this before?  If so, what problems did you run into.  Can you just install a three speed wiper switch and motor or does additional wiring have to be added?  Has anyone tried restoring a 3-speed wiper motor on their own?  I have several from junkyards that are in various states of disrepair to play with.  Thanks.

Nacho-RT74

no, just the switch... wiring is the same...

dunno if some link arm related too. At least on 3rd gend wiper pivot crank is different because motor shaft is different shape.
Venezuelan RT 74 400 4bbl, 727, 8.75 3.23 open. Now stroked with 440 crank and 3.55 SG. Here is the History and how is actually: http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,7603.0/all.html
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,25060.0.html

no318

I disagree. the whole dash harness is different, I think????

71_deputy

wiring and plug in dash is the same- only one extra wire to plug into the switch for the resistance wire for 3 speed/vari unit.

only difference is the wiring on the plug to the wiper motor- 2 speed has the resistor on it and the 3 speed dosen't.
1971 Deputy Challenger 383 4bbl-- 1 of 2 made!!
1967 Charger 440/auto
1973 Road Runner 340/4 speed
2000 1500 Ram Van

Chatt69chgr

I think 12 volts is supplied directly to the motor for hi speed operation.  And the circuit diagram for the wiper system shows a resistor mounted directly on the wiper switch that must be used to slow down the wiper for either the lo speed or the medium speed operation.  I have seen pictures of the 3-speed switch on ebay showing the resistor.  But what about the other resistor that must be there somewhere.  Is it a resistance wire in the harness?  If so, what is the resistance in ohms?  If there is a resistance wire and it is not in the original harness, I could add a wire and put a fixed resistor in the circuit to replace the resistance wire. 

I threw out this post to get a discussion started on this.  I will relate what little I know.  The bellcrank is different for a 2-speed and 3-speed but the wiper connecting arms going to the pivots are identical---I verified this at the junkyard by looking at both types (note that the 3-speed bellcrank is very hard to find----you could probably make one if you tried hard enough).  The 3-speed swithes are hard to find.  I have not found one yet although Brock Sampson has promised to send me one (Hey Brock, it's the one laying next to the 2X4 in your picture or your garage stuff---I really would appreciate if you would send it to me).  As far as restoring the motor, It looks like to me that the hard part is as follows:  determining if the motor itself is electrically any good----I am still investigating how to do this; figuring out how to paint the cover plate over the gear shaft assembly to look like the original-----it seems to be coated with a grainy dull dark gray material and I don't know how to replicate this; determining how to refinish the motor winding assembly cover----it is gold cad and probably the kit from Eastwood would work for this; determining where to get the cloth covered wire going in to the motor itself---I have found #18 gauge solid cloth covered but one of the wires appears to be #16 and I can't find any of that in cloth covered; and determining what the red stuff is insulating the wires on the cover plate-----I think this is GE Glyptol 1201-B.  Thats all I know on the subject so far.  Many will say why not just send the motor off and get someone else to rebuild it.  That would be the easy route but part of the fun of restoring my 69 Charger is figuring out things just like this.  Sending one of these off is always an option if I can't.  And I am not in any hurry to get my car done.  I only have a limited amount of money to spend every month so I like to do everything I can myself.

I'll be out of town a few days but will look forward to your responses.  Thanks as always.

71_deputy

think 12 volts is supplied directly to the motor for hi speed operation.  correct

And the circuit diagram for the wiper system shows a resistor mounted directly on the wiper switch that must be used to slow down the wiper for either the lo speed or the medium speed operation.  for a 2 speed wiper motor

I have seen pictures of the 3-speed switch on ebay showing the resistor.  But what about the other resistor that must be there somewhere.  Is it a resistance wire in the harness?  correct- that wire Feels different like a stiff wire

If so, what is the resistance in ohms?  never checked it

If there is a resistance wire and it is not in the original harness, I could add a wire and put a fixed resistor in the circuit to replace the resistance wire.
wire should be there- if not- then maybe someone can measure it and you could use a same resistance but use at least a 20 watt ceramic unit-don't let it touch anything as they will get hot
1971 Deputy Challenger 383 4bbl-- 1 of 2 made!!
1967 Charger 440/auto
1973 Road Runner 340/4 speed
2000 1500 Ram Van

dm69charger

Quote from: Chatt69chgr on January 10, 2007, 12:36:36 AM
Has anyone ever attempted this before?  If so, what problems did you run into.  Can you just install a three speed wiper switch and motor or does additional wiring have to be added?  Has anyone tried restoring a 3-speed wiper motor on their own?  I have several from junkyards that are in various states of disrepair to play with.  Thanks.

My car is an original J25 coded car and some A$$hole before me converted it to a 2-speed.  :flame: Why?  I don't know. ???   I converted it back.  Anyway, here is what is different:

1.  The motors obviously.  BTW 2-speed has resistor mounted on top.  3-speed does not.
2.  The wiring in the engine bay to the motor from the bulkhead.
3.  Pivot arm mechanism that attaches the motor to the pivot arm is different.  3-speed is hard to get.  Lucky mine already had it.

Do a search and you will find the website that has all the necessary parts to do the conversion.  If I remember I will post the link.  I bought the 3-speed motor from him.  No problems.  He also asked me if I had the pivot mechanism.  He thought I was doing a conversion.  I told him I already had it.  Anyway, he sells them also.  BTW the extra wire from the motor to the bulkhead is included with the motor when you buy from him.

- Don
(2) 1969 Chargers

no318

THANKS.  PLEASE post the web address.  THANKS.

dm69charger

http://www.wiperman.homestead.com/

Here it is.  Let me know if it works or not.  Call him and talk to him and he will answer any questions you might have.  Like I said I bought my 3-speed wiper motor from him with no problems.
(2) 1969 Chargers

Nacho-RT74

Quote from: dm69charger on January 11, 2007, 04:56:00 PM
1.  The motors obviously.  BTW 2-speed has resistor mounted on top.  3-speed does not.
That's not problem since is part of assembly.
2.  The wiring in the engine bay to the motor from the bulkhead.
As stated by yourself on same reply, 3 speeds have wiring attached so is not a problem either to get it
3.  Pivot arm mechanism that attaches the motor to the pivot arm is different.  3-speed is hard to get.  Lucky mine already had it.
As I said, I was pretty sure of that, but since is not my own experience couldn't be said by me. I just checked PN on 74 Catalog and they were different PN. There is a reason to that.
Venezuelan RT 74 400 4bbl, 727, 8.75 3.23 open. Now stroked with 440 crank and 3.55 SG. Here is the History and how is actually: http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,7603.0/all.html
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,25060.0.html

Back N Black

Bench testing procedure.

Test #1(Hi speed)

Connect jumper wire from motor case to battery ground.
Connect second jumper wire from battery positive to BROWN lead.
Motor should run hi speed continuously.

Test #2 (Lo speed)

Connect jumper wire from GREEN wire to battery ground.
Join BROWN and RED wires together and connect a jumper wire from battery positive to them.
Motor should run at slower speed.

Test #3 (Park)

Connect jumper lead from GREEN to BROWN wire.
Connect jumper wire from red wire to ground.
Connect jumper wire from blue wire to battery positive.
Motor should reverse and park.

(Depending on where the motor had stopped the park feature may have a full rotation or very short rotation

Chatt69chgr

I have a few old rusty wiper motors from the junkyard.  Some are the correct numbers for 69 chargers with 3-speed wipers.  I measured the resistance of each of the four wires from the bulkhead plug to the wiper motor.  None were resistance wire.  All were what appeared to be about 18 gauge stranded wire. 

I contacted the Wiperman and found that on hi-speed operation, 12 volts is applied directly to the motor.  On medium speed, 12 volts is supplied through the resistor on the wiper switch to the same hi speed winding.  On lo speed, 12 volts is supplied to the motor through the resistor in the wiper switch in some cases and in some it is not (per Wiperman) and then on to the motor where it goes through the high speed winding and a second winding.  That's what he says.  Anybody know anything more about the actual 3-speed motor itself---preferrably have a wiring diagram of the actual winding layout.  Thanks.