News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

NEW PROPER FITTING DAYTONA NOSECONES , IN THE WORKS

Started by daytonalo, February 02, 2007, 07:23:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

daytonalo

Let me start off by saying I'm disgusted by the few so called vendors out there for nose cone and related parts , for some its lack of service, some it's no service at all or grab the cash and string you along for years , others are dirt cheap , I went that route and spent one year reshaping  the outside and fabricating headlight parts to make them work as original . I have been around fiberglass for twenty years , and have to very close friends that build race boats for a living . I made a deal today,I paint the bottom of his 36 foot cigarette , he makes a mold to start tooling up to make a complete nose assembly that will differ from anything before , because when it leaves my shop it will be ready to bolt on . I have heard resin in the past called MARINE grade That is like stating all cars look the same ! I will use VINYLESTER , three times the money of general purpose resin , but wont shrink like the G.P resin . The nose obviously will be glass as well as the doors and buckets , the headlight pivots and z-braces will be steel , the latch tray will be glass , but thinned on the edges so it will look like steel . The valence will be glass , the spoiler will be alum . The grille shell will be steel and look orig , the grille material I will have to locate . The headlights will work with new vacuum pods , in my opinion by a long shot the only way to go , experimented with all types of electric motors , and in every case proved to be a problem . Keep in mind that the stinger setup took me a year to reshape  , the sides are .25 to .50 of an inch off , no z-brace mount and fiberglass z-braces and very wavy everywhere , a real mess.  I have not priced this yet although i will ballpark it at around 4500 -5000 . Again when it leaves my shop it will be ready to paint , and will function as original . Larry

daytonalo

I want some feedback , If there is no interest I will not pursue it .

daytonalo

also looking for a janak SUPERBIRD nose to borrow , want to make mold from it , I will not damage it , will either trade a pair of pillar trim or a new scissor jack in return for loaning me your superbird nose , latch tray , and valence .

nascarxx29

The only Janak nose that might be in the southern NJ area is Jim he bought a kit and sold his charger .And he was going to take it Cartys corvettes on route #30.This the guy I found that had all kinds 426 hemi stuff Scott bought up
1969 R4 Daytona XX29L9B410772
1970 EV2 Superbird RM23UOA174597
1970 FY1 Superbird RM23UOA166242
1970 EV2 Superbird RM23VOA179697
1968 426 Road Runner RM21J8A134509
1970 Coronet RT WS23UOA224126
1970 Daytona Clone XP29GOG178701

daytonalo

hotrod98

Larry, Put me down for one. I just can't find the time to work on my mold or anything else for that matter. I think you'll find support for this project.

Normal is an illusion. What is normal for the spider is chaos for the fly.
Charles Addams

daytonalo

I'm just waiting for the guy , What 5 k , are you kidding !!!!!!!!! It is going to be a great deal of work . I'm working towards my goal of building two Hemi Daytona's a year , this will be a big leap forward for me .

Charger1973

Sounds like a cool project.  Im not building one, but if I was I would rather spend the money for a nice part than cheap out and get junk that doesnt work/fit. 

daytonalo

It really is not a great deal of money , after you get all those parts and then have to pay a body guy . You will be ahead of the game

Lifsgrt

Larry, I'd be interested in one as well.  I am just now beginning this project and am starting with the rear window plug.  By the time you're in production, I should be ready. Thanks
Best time 11.07@121

BigBlockSam

that would make things alot easier . you get what you pay for. i found that out the hard way.  :yesnod:
I won't be wronged, I wont be Insulted and I wont be laid a hand on. I don't do these things to others, and I require the same from them.

[IMG]http://i45.tinypic.com/347b5v5.jpg[/img

daytonalo

Rene , did you get my message . After I'm done with your stinger kit , thats only half the battle . There will be trimming and cutting all over the nose , a ton of glass work if you don't want 3/8 body filler along both sides

69_500

Just my opinion but for $5,000 that nose darn beter be made of steel. That is just my opinion.

BigBlockSam

hey Larry as long as the lights operate properly  we can handle the rest. i'll call you today and we'll discuss the wing. Rene
I won't be wronged, I wont be Insulted and I wont be laid a hand on. I don't do these things to others, and I require the same from them.

Old Moparz

Quote from: daytonalo on February 02, 2007, 08:16:48 PM
I'm just waiting for the guy , What 5 k , are you kidding !!!!!!!!! It is going to be a great deal of work . I'm working towards my goal of building two Hemi Daytona's a year , this will be a big leap forward for me .

$5K?  Are you kidding?  That's what the car cost when it was new.
   :D

Just kidding, that price for a nose that's ready to go seems like a good deal. I have a lot invested in the nose I have from Janak & still need a few misc. things. I won't be ready to do anything with it for some time, but if I didn't already have it, I'd seriously consider the package you're talking about. Maybe what I can consider is selling what I have for a finished nose package. Of course that's a catch 22 for me with not wanting to part with what I already have for fear of not getting another, but I'd have to sell it to finance a new set up.

I am very interested in the headlight actuators you did though, & would like to do that later on. I remember when you first posted about it & would rather do that. I don't care about the original set up at all I'd rather have it work so I can use it. "Restify" & have the improvements done where I can to make the car better, safer & more convenient. A lot of people seem to forget all the problems the older cars had that we dealt with on a daily basis.

Bob
               Bob                

I Gotta Stop Taking The Bus

hotrod98

Quote from: 69_500 on February 03, 2007, 10:49:09 AM
Just my opinion but for $5,000 that nose darn beter be made of steel. That is just my opinion.

Bare steel noses are more than 5k. I figure a complete, ready to bolt on, working steel nose with Z-braces and all of the headlamp pieces would run closer to 10k. The complexity of the nose and the back window is the reason that there aren't several hundred daytona clones running around on the streets.

Charles Addams

69_500

Call me crazy but to me the fact that there isn't 1,000's of clones running around is a good thing. Nothing against clones but I must admit that when I see a wing car at a show and walk up and see its a clone, I am dissapointed a bit. Not to say that they didn't do good jobs on the car or anything like that as some are very sweet looking cars. Just not the real deal.
If I was going to build a clone though and to think of plopping down $5K for a glass nose cone, I'd be silly to say that if I was willing to drop $5K on a glass one that I wouldn't be willing to drop $8K for a steel one.

hotrod98

Since most people building clones will probably drive them more than the guys that own the real thing, I would expect the possiblity of damaging the front end to be a little more frequent as a result. Bump the fiberglass one and most people can fix it themselves in the driveway. Bump the steel one and you can just get the checkbook out.
I understand your thinking as far as the price difference, but everyone has to draw the line somewhere. I think that line is going to be different for everyone. I own and maintain several musclecars and find it difficult to spend a lot of money on any single project. I have to be conservative within reason.
If a guy is building the one car that he's always wanted, then maybe he should spend more and have a nicer car.
Bottom line, I think that there will be more complete working fiberglass noses bought for 5k than complete working steel noses at 8k or 9k.

Charles Addams

daytonalo

If one was to start from scratch, easy 10 k , and what do you do for vacuum pods ? Maybe find a used pair . The rest of us are not as fortunate to have purchased when they were just used cars , a very long time ago . I think anyone that likes to drive their high dollar wing car , it would be worth it to them to keep their original nose safe on a shelf , and buy a glass nose

BigBlockSam

Quotewhen I see a wing car at a show and walk up and see its a clone, I am dissapointed a bit   

i had dreams of owning a factory wing car but i'm realizing that this is as close as i'm gonna get . Rene

hotrod98

Hey Larry, do you think that nose will work on my 71 Charger that I just bought?
I really want a 3rd gen wing car to drive around town. I guess I'll have to fab up a wing from scratch as well.

Charles Addams

daytonalo

Years ago I spoke to mike G about it , I thought he said he used a 69 daytona nose and I think he cut it and widened it . I know he didn't start from scratch . Larry

nakita7

I am very interested in a 'bolt on' nosecone. I would prefer steel, but I am building a driver clone, and I am also a working family man, so cost is everything. If you can do 10-20 in total to bring the cost down that would be great. I'm in Canada so I also have to deal with the exchange rate too (or as Americans say...value add????). Count me in, but it has to be a reasonable price....

daytonalo

I think you should buy a steel nose . This project is a ton of work , many , many hours of work and materials