News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Doing a Daytona Clone and have some questions

Started by chargerbird, March 12, 2007, 10:57:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

chargerbird

I just bought this 69 charger SE and it has a true Daytona wing.  Who do you suggest has the best value when it comes to the quality, fit and overal price for a nose? and what year of Vega Hatchback will work? thanks for any suggestions.

Old Moparz

Maybe it's the angle the photo was taken, but that appears to be a Superbird wing on the car.  :shruggy:

Here's a few pics I found to compare the angle of the wing uprights. If it is a Superbird wing, it might be a good idea to sell it off & get a repro Daytona wing instead. You'll have money leftover for other parts you'll need.

There are a lot of topics in the aero forum that cover the questions you just asked. I'd read over some if I were you, but I'm sure a few people will post some info here for you.

Looks like a nice project, I'm liking the passenger side gas cap too.  :2thumbs:
               Bob                

I Gotta Stop Taking The Bus

Troy

Here's a couple threads about the Vega hatch:
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,16944.0.html
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,25251.0.html

The Stinger fiberglass nose is the cheapest but the quality isn't so great. Do a search here and you'll find a lot of information. Daytonalo seems to love his... ;)

Troy
Sarcasm detector, that's a real good invention.

Magnumcharger

I'm hoping the day will come where the 'Vega hatch' option for window plug comes to an end.
It might do in a pinch, but the contour and size of the glass leave a lot to be desired... :yesnod:
1968 Plymouth Barracuda Formula S 340 convertible
1968 Dodge Charger R/T 426 Hemi 4 speed
1968 Plymouth Barracuda S/S clone 426 Hemi auto
1969 Dodge Deora pickup clone 318 auto
1971 Dodge Charger R/T 440 auto
1972 Dodge C600 318 4 speed ramp truck
1972 Dodge C800 413 5 speed
1979 Chrysler 300 T-top 360 auto
2001 Dodge RAM Sport Offroad 360 auto
2010 Dodge Challenger R/T 6 speed
2014 RAM Laramie 5.7 Hemi 8 speed

hotrod98

Quote from: Magnumcharger on March 13, 2007, 01:00:20 PM
I'm hoping the day will come where the 'Vega hatch' option for window plug comes to an end.
It might do in a pinch, but the contour and size of the glass leave a lot to be desired... :yesnod:

What really lacks a lot to be desired is the guys that rape others with outrageous prices for parts that they know would be difficult to  get anywhere else. I mean $2400 for a plug and $900 for a glass and then there's that little problem of not being able to get the correct moldings. Piecing other moldings together doesn't exactly make the so called "correct plug method" all that correct. We're talking about a recreation here.
I can see your point when performing a restoration on an original daytona. The vega plug would not be cool in that case, but for a clone, it's the obvious way to go. Personally, I don't think that 99.9 % of the mopar people out there could tell the difference without being shown both cars side by side.
As for coming to an end, there's hundreds of those worthless little chevies sitting in salvage yards all over the U.S..

Normal is an illusion. What is normal for the spider is chaos for the fly.
Charles Addams

pandamarie

I totally agre with Hotrod98, there are allot of us out here that just cant afford those sky high prices people are asking for the (correct parts) and like he said 99% of the mopar people wouldn't know the difference anyway and the rest of the car world could care less, so why should we line someones pocket with our hard earned money for the sake of being correct. I spent a whole 10 bucks on my vega hatchback, sure beats 2900 for a reproduction panel and 900 more for a piece of glass.
These are reproductions we are building not originals, we are building them to drive because we can and there are some people out there that are making parts we can afford and with a little work we can make them look like a very close copy of a Daytona, so why put us poor people down for using our imagination and frugalness. I want a Daytona clone but I'm not going to get a second mortgage to make it happen.
If I could find the technical drawing for the parts I would make what I could myself and just buy what I couldn't.
My point is most people that make clones want to drive them as much as possible knowing they wont be hurting a piece of history.
Sorry for the ranting.

Charger_Fan

Quote from: Old Moparz on March 13, 2007, 10:06:42 AM
Maybe it's the angle the photo was taken, but that appears to be a Superbird wing on the car.  :shruggy:
:iagree: Looks like the wing mounting points on the 1/4's are closer to the edge than usual too.
Still, it's a cool project. Congrats! :cheers:

The Aquamax...yes, this bike spent 2 nights underwater one weekend. (Not my doing), but it gained the name, and has since become pseudo-famous. :)

chargerbird

I believe it's a daytona wing, but you guys would know more about it. will post a different angle picture. let me know what you think it is. thanks again for your input.

hotrod98

I tend to lean towards it being a daytona wing. Measure the length of the base and the height and we'll tell you for sure. I have one of each.
Great start on a wing car project. If you don't have wing braces to go in the trunk, I have them for $80 plus shipping and they're indentical to the originals and half of the price of most repros. I've sold close to 30 sets to members here on this site.
Shop wisely when buying parts. Check the archives for plenty of good info regarding the clones.
This is the number one wingcar site on the net. In addition, we have more wingcar clone info here than anywhere else.

Charles Addams

daytonalo

UFO

Its funny you can swap a small block for a big block,no one bashes you,but use an affordable way to have a flush rear window and all hell breaks loose.

UFO

And no I did not use a vega on my clone.Built a plug to match the daytona window.My time is free,now to find glass and trim.Just may put vega hatch in anyway.Will save myself some big bucks.

hotrod98

The 4k that we save by using the vega plug will pay for most of the other parts needed for the transformation. ;D

Charles Addams

UFO

I am actually leaning towards spending the extra money on a stroker motor.Forget miles per gallon go for SMILES PER GALLON.

daytonalo

Are you speaking to me ??????????? I dont a small block anything !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Larry

daytonalo

Thank God , I enough red-necks that think I'm a j-off on here . Just a guy who never sugar coats anything . Larry

hotrod98

Charles Addams

daytonalo

DAMNIT , I LOST THE ONLY GUY WHO THINKS I'M NOT A TOTAL JACKASS !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!  :icon_smile_sad:

Troy

Quote from: daytonalo on March 13, 2007, 10:02:23 PM
DAMNIT , I LOST THE ONLY GUY WHO THINKS I'M NOT A TOTAL JACKASS !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!  :icon_smile_sad:
:smilielol:

"Total" is rather harsh don't you think?  :pity:

I keep telling people that you're the Stinger nose expert but you haven't posted any pictures lately. How's it going?

Almost forgot the pics of the Vega:
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,8271.0.html
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,10621.0.html

Troy
Sarcasm detector, that's a real good invention.

daytonalo

One step at a time , just learned to walk upright last week !!!!!!!!!! Thank's for asking , the last month has been spent working 12 hour days on my home , the township is all over me , so my house is in an office zone , I just dumped 17 k in it . Hope to get 350 k for it

BigBlockSam

I won't be wronged, I wont be Insulted and I wont be laid a hand on. I don't do these things to others, and I require the same from them.

[IMG]http://i45.tinypic.com/347b5v5.jpg[/img

hotrod98

Charles Addams

chargerbird

afternoon. One of the members gave a quick overview of the various vendors for the daytona clone.  can't find that page and want it for my records to make my buying for the parts better informed. can you please e-mail it to my address brushcollege@msn.com   ... still learning on how to navigate here. thanks again for all your help