News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

REAR BUMPER

Started by 400/6/PAC, March 27, 2007, 05:23:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

400/6/PAC

I have a rear bumper for my 73.
The bumper looks good everywhere except one very small pinhole.
The rust on the backside is minimal, but the pinhole is visiable.
Is there anything I can do to save this bumper.
Thanks
David

mikepmcs

Picture maybe?  How big is the hole?  Was it a drilled hole or a pinhole because of rust?  If that's the case then it has to be weak around the hole, IMO.
Where is the hole?
Weld and rechrome is the only thing I can think of right now.

v/r
Mike
Life isn't Father Knows Best anymore, it's a kick in the face on a saturday night with a steel toed grip kodiak work boot and a trip to the hospital all bloodied and bashed.....for reconstructive surgery. But, what doesn't kill us, makes us stronger, right?

400/6/PAC

I hope this pic turns out ok.
I still have a hard time with resizing the pixels.

NHCharger

From that close up the bumper looks pretty worn. If it's not real rusty I'd send it out to get re-chromed. DON'T send it to Stephen's Performance in Alabama.
72 Charger- Base Model
68 Charger-R/T Clone
69 Charger Daytona clone- current moneypit
79 Lil Red Express - future moneypit
88 Ramcharger 4x4-moneypit in waiting
2014 RAM 2500HD Diesel

400/6/PAC

Sounds like you had a bad experiance with them.
I had the same thing with a place called ET AUTOMOTIVE in Dallas.
This guy took me to the cleaners, mostly because he knew I was a beginner and didn't know any better.
Anyway, thanks for the help.
I will try to have it repaired
David

evil1

Quote from: 400/6/PAC on March 27, 2007, 07:32:16 PM
, mostly because he knew I was a beginner and didn't know any better.

What should you watch for, when having something  re-chromed?

NHCharger

Quote from: evil1 on March 27, 2007, 08:31:50 PM
Quote from: 400/6/PAC on March 27, 2007, 07:32:16 PM
, mostly because he knew I was a beginner and didn't know any better.

What should you watch for, when having something  re-chromed?

The chrome was peeling off my bumper along with some surface rust. Stephen's is listed in MCG as a good place to do business. I called them and asked about my bumper, they said that as long as is only surface rust and you couldn't put a hammer thru the bumper it was a good core. I ordered a new bumper from them , after I got it I shipped mine back for the core charge refund. A month later I get a letter saying the bumper was to rusty for a refund, I called and Big Ted himself said he personally inspected the bumper ::) yeah right, and it was no good but he would send it back to me if I paid the shipping and handling charge, around $ 50.00. What a tool.

Call Tri-City plating in Elizabethton, TN. 1-800-251-7536. I got two bumpers from them last year, good price, excellent work.
72 Charger- Base Model
68 Charger-R/T Clone
69 Charger Daytona clone- current moneypit
79 Lil Red Express - future moneypit
88 Ramcharger 4x4-moneypit in waiting
2014 RAM 2500HD Diesel

400/6/PAC

Thanks for the advice.