News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Difference between 400 truck & car engine?

Started by javakmcharger68, September 12, 2005, 08:56:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

javakmcharger68

I have a 400 truck engine & was thinking of using in stroker project. What is the differences between the car & truck engines? Is there a problem using these engines for stroker project, or are there just little details that make these engines different. Thanks again

RD

there is probably nothing different between them other than cam profiles and oil pans.
67 Plymouth Barracuda, 69 Plymouth Barracuda, 73 Charger SE, 75 D100, 80 Sno-Commander

Chryco Psycho

depends what truck , the 413 truck & motorhome engines were very different , most 400 light truck engines are identical to car engines though except for the pan & cam as mentioned by RD 

javakmcharger68

I figured the cam would be different, but the oil pan I was surprised to hear was different. Any idea why these are changed? Cam would be changed for higher torque I would guess, but oil pan is different for what reason? Deeper pan for more oil maybe. Here are some numbers off the engine;
Passanger side of block;   4006530-400-6

Passanger side plate(right beside the head);   8T400
                                                                   3     20
                                                                  E
Passanger side plate(right beside the head) is what gave me the idea that it was a truck engine. The engine came with my car when I bought it, so I have no background on it. All I was told was he put it in the car to move the car around easier. Thanks for the help once again

RD

the oil pan on a truck is rear sump and the oil pan on the chargers are mid sump (937 pans, third gens or others not sure)
67 Plymouth Barracuda, 69 Plymouth Barracuda, 73 Charger SE, 75 D100, 80 Sno-Commander

javakmcharger68

Can the pump be changed to a mid sump when changing oil pans? Thanks

RD

Quote from: javakmcharger68 on September 13, 2005, 12:29:44 PM
Can the pump be changed to a mid sump when changing oil pans? Thanks

if i am getting what you are saying, you are asking if you can change the oil pickup during the swap correct?  if so, yes, you need to change the oil pickup during the oil pan swap.

javakmcharger68

Sorry , yes that was what I was trying to say. Thanks

Mr_fixit

Oil pan, pickup, dipstick tube, motor mounts are different. And exhaust manifolds . And they're worth a couple hundred to sell. The trucks and vans have a different frame setup and require the oil sump ( and pan hump ) to be   in a different location. Was it a standard or auto? Standards would have a steel crank, too.

Nacho-RT74

differences:

as far I know only one kind of camshaft was used since 74... 73 and earliers have one for Magnum engines and standart engines... I can be wrong but that's what I have known.

beside that, of course both manifolds, for 4bbls spreadbores carbs on intake and HiPo exhaust on Magnum engines and 2 bbls carbs intake kind and standarts exhaust for non magnum ( that include trucks )

MY 1974 400 Magnum does it have also double valves springs. Of course, standarts are single spring.

...and of course all that oil pan and stuf...

not sure but I THINK, intake and exhaust ducts on heads are slightly wider also on truck engines... if is true DAMN !!!THAT is REALLY great!!!

Egine mounts  ¿? ¿? ¿? ¿? ¿? I don't think so... but...
Venezuelan RT 74 400 4bbl, 727, 8.75 3.23 open. Now stroked with 440 crank and 3.55 SG. Here is the History and how is actually: http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,7603.0/all.html
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,25060.0.html

javakmcharger68

It was an auto that is on the back of the 400. The engine came in my car when I bought it from buddy. The thing is that I think by the look of my k-member that he changed the location of the mounts( cut & rewelded). So that sucks! If I use the engine though, no worries unless the different location of the oil pan changes things around when placing a 4 speed & driveshaft behind it. I have a pair of headers for a 383. Do these fit the 400? It has no double springs on it , but the engine is a 4bbl. Also copied the numbers of the passenger side manifold; 4041488C. Thats what it looked like to me anyways. What I 'm trying to do is put together a engine with what I got so far, which is one complete 400, one short block 69 383 (30over) that a dummy put 440 rods in  & a 67 383 (2bbl) complete with manifolds but the thing was sitting out for a couple of years so its hard to say what is good. I bought the two 383's from dummy to make one complete with extras. I didn't take it apart yet, that is todays project.  Thanks again for your help.

Chryco Psycho

I have never seen bigger ports on truck heads

Nacho-RT74

About the bigger ports, well is some that I think had read somewhere but don't trust me.

About double valve springs. I told my engine has, and on Mopar parts cataolg appears they were available to 400 on his HiPo kind ( Magnum ) but I think somebody told me about no double valve springs to 400 even they were Magnum up there... wasn't you Neil ? not sure who  ¿? ¿?

Buddy I doubt seriouslly the engine mount ears and different K members are since 73 between /6, SB and BB/RB blocks. I Used some parts donor from what I think was a truck engine to my actually one ( cam, pistons, rods, crank, even tappets ) the engine was two bbls standart one and blocks did look the same even on mounting ears. I think this engine came from a truck because one of his exhaust manifold duct was the ones that pass BELOW the spark plugs and not like ours ABOVE the spark plugs.

Headers, yes, they will fit. Al BB/RB exhaust matchs with heads, now headers could be different if inner fenders shape and frame rails are from a different car I think.
Venezuelan RT 74 400 4bbl, 727, 8.75 3.23 open. Now stroked with 440 crank and 3.55 SG. Here is the History and how is actually: http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,7603.0/all.html

javakmcharger68

Buddy I doubt seriouslly the engine mount ears and different K members are since 73 between /6, SB and BB/RB blocks 

Not different you mean??? Thanks

RD

Quote from: javakmcharger68 on September 15, 2005, 09:15:34 AM
Buddy I doubt seriouslly the engine mount ears and different K members are since 73 between /6, SB and BB/RB blocks  

Not different you mean??? Thanks

hey he is from Venezuela :D English is his second language and he spells and talks better english than cudaken does already! hehehehe

Ghoste

The short version of it is, if it's for a stroker project, the things that are different are things you'll likely change anyway.

javakmcharger68

Well said GHOSTE, Your right on point of the matter

The short version of it is, if it's for a stroker project, the things that are different are things you'll likely change anyway

Thanks

Nacho-RT74

HAHAHAHA !!! sorry, I noticed that I missed and crossed some words when I was writting...

I wanted to say: "Buddy I doubt seriouslly the engine mount ears ARE DIFFERENT and DIFFERENCES ARE ONLY ON K members since"...

and forgot to say that to match engine with different K members only engine mounts were changed, but not blocks. You can install a late 70s blocks even on an late 50s car with just the right mounts

javakmcharger68

Took the intake & tray  out to see the numbers on the heads & they are 452's . These are good right? Thanks

Ghoste