News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

VIN plate fabrication

Started by rudyjrusa, October 03, 2007, 03:45:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

rudyjrusa

hi - need to re-do my VIN plate on dash board - is there some one can fabricate these and provide the rivets to place back onto dash board??

Old Moparz

Bob                

I Gotta Stop Taking The Bus

dkn1997

While I would have no moral dilema with a guy making his own vin tag on a real deal car, I gotta ask why you need a new one?  can't you just refinish yours?  just looks like the paint wore off.  if you search around, you will find info on repainting it and may even find a stamp for it
RECHRGED

rudyjrusa

Quote from: dkn1997 on October 03, 2007, 04:30:38 PM
While I would have no moral dilema with a guy making his own vin tag on a real deal car, I gotta ask why you need a new one?  can't you just refinish yours?  just looks like the paint wore off.  if you search around, you will find info on repainting it and may even find a stamp for it

that is not my VIN - it is a sample - when i blasted my dash all the paint came off and had to repaint all black - would like to have the original look back on VIN plate.

dkn1997

I am missing something here.  I thought vin tags were stamped.  does blasting completely smooth out a vin tag?  also, in your first post you looked like you were asking if someone could fabricate you a new tag, but also say you need to re-do yours.  I am confused.
RECHRGED

41husk

I would like to have a fender tag made that will state it is a clone but indicate it to be a 1973 Super bee with N-96 hood.  Is there a Company that would make a clone fender tag?
1969 Dodge Charger 500 440/727
1970 Challenger convertible 340/727
1970 Plymouth Duster FM3
1974 Dodge Dart /6/904
1983 Plymouth Scamp GT 2.2 Auto
1950 Dodge Pilot house pick up

Old Moparz

Quote from: 41husk on October 04, 2007, 01:20:57 PM
I would like to have a fender tag made that will state it is a clone but indicate it to be a 1973 Super bee with N-96 hood.  Is there a Company that would make a clone fender tag?

Yes, they're out of Canada but I'll have to dig through some emails to find the name. They told me a fender tag with anything on it was $40 or so about a year ago. I was planning to have something sarcastic stamped on it, like "THIS IS A FENDER TAG"
               Bob                

I Gotta Stop Taking The Bus

41husk

Thanks! if you find that info please pass it on.
1969 Dodge Charger 500 440/727
1970 Challenger convertible 340/727
1970 Plymouth Duster FM3
1974 Dodge Dart /6/904
1983 Plymouth Scamp GT 2.2 Auto
1950 Dodge Pilot house pick up

John_Kunkel

All it takes to redo the dash VIN tag is some paint and the transparent decal with the Mopar logo. ECS is reportedly makinmg them now.

http://www.ecsautomotive.com/
Pardon me but my karma just ran over your dogma.

towman

i sell the rivets  if anyone needs them $30 free shipping waynehays@hotmail.com

hemi-hampton

:o 30 BUCKS, I though Jerome Verbit was selling them for $20? LEON. :-\

Sinister68

Quote from: John_Kunkel on October 04, 2007, 02:44:13 PM

All it takes to redo the dash VIN tag is some paint and the transparent decal with the Mopar logo. ECS is reportedly makinmg them now.

Thats where I got my dry transfer from...

-James
2013 Challenger SRT - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - 1968 Charger (R/T)
6.4 Hemi/Auto - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - 440 4bbl/5 Speed/Dana 3.54

Fitz73Chrgr

Quote from: hemi-hampton on October 05, 2007, 09:53:57 PM
:o 30 BUCKS, I though Jerome Verbit was selling them for $20? LEON. :-\

20 bucks is still pretty expensive for 2 rivets.  I'm guessing there is something special about VIN rivets? 
'73 Charger - project                '70 Charger - driver                 '66 Charger - survivor

Resto thread:
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,89803.msg1019541.html#msg1019541

JimShine

The head has a hexagonal shape rather than a smooth round like you find on your average rivets.

hemi-hampton

The correct Rosette head 8 pointed Rivets are hard to Find, Jerome found a large Stash years ago, Since then they have become easier to obtain from Chrysler workers, ect, ect. LEON.

hemigeno

Quote from: hemi-hampton on October 06, 2007, 11:10:27 PM
The correct Rosette head 8 pointed Rivets are hard to Find, Jerome found a large Stash years ago, Since then they have become easier to obtain from Chrysler workers, ect, ect. LEON.

I only spy six points...   :shruggy:

hemi-hampton

I was just taking a guess from memmory, OK, 6 it is. LEON. :slap:

rudyjrusa

does ecs have the transparent decal??

hemigeno

Quote from: rudyjrusa on October 08, 2007, 07:02:59 AM

If ECS doesn't have it, I know that David Patik at Performance Car Graphics does.  Here's a quote from p20 of his written catalog:

Gray Lettering and Pentastar for Your 1968-74 Dashboard VIN Plate:  All 1968-74 cars.  This is a high quality dry transfer that looks just like the original gray lettering.  With application instructions.  (This is not the plate itself, nor the stamped-in VIN.)  No need to remove the plate to apply lettering. ...$10.00
You must send in (by mail only, not fax or email) the following car documentation:
>  Copy of title/registration
>  Pencil-across-paper rubbing of the dash plate
>  Pencil rubbing of the entire fender tag(s)
>  Copy of broadcast sheet
>  No sales allowed to Michigan-registered cars

I don't know what David does if some of the above items are not available, you'll have to ask him.  Here is his email addy:  cargraphix@aol.com

Geno

hemi-hampton

Lots of People missing broadcast sheet :shruggy: :-\

Todd Wilson

Thought it was illegal to sell those rivots?!    Now you can buy the wasted Hemi car on ebay  and put its VIN on a  318 car and sell it for big bucks!

Todd

Back N Black

Quote from: Todd Wilson on October 10, 2007, 11:50:52 AM
Thought it was illegal to sell those rivots?!    Now you can buy the wasted Hemi car on ebay  and put its VIN on a  318 car and sell it for big bucks!

Todd

Don't forget to weld in the V.I.N on the trunk lip and rad support.   :cheers:

charger_mike75

Quote from: hemigeno on October 08, 2007, 09:33:53 AM
Quote from: rudyjrusa on October 08, 2007, 07:02:59 AM

If ECS doesn't have it, I know that David Patik at Performance Car Graphics does.  Here's a quote from p20 of his written catalog:

Gray Lettering and Pentastar for Your 1968-74 Dashboard VIN Plate:  All 1968-74 cars.  This is a high quality dry transfer that looks just like the original gray lettering.  With application instructions.  (This is not the plate itself, nor the stamped-in VIN.)  No need to remove the plate to apply lettering. ...$10.00
You must send in (by mail only, not fax or email) the following car documentation:
>  Copy of title/registration
>  Pencil-across-paper rubbing of the dash plate
>  Pencil rubbing of the entire fender tag(s)
>  Copy of broadcast sheet
>  No sales allowed to Michigan-registered cars

I don't know what David does if some of the above items are not available, you'll have to ask him.  Here is his email addy:  cargraphix@aol.com

Geno

Why would you have to send all that in just to get a decal?

kab69440

As usual, those of us with cars lacking those items are S.O.L. Someone thought they needed your fender tag more than you, and your car might as well be a parts pile. I suppose it's a good thing I am not a restorationist, and will not be requiring anything that company produces.
Imagination was given to man to compensate him for what he is not;  a sense of humor to console him for what he is.      Francis Bacon

WANT TO BUY:
Looking for a CD by  'The Sub-Mersians'  entitled "Raw Love Songs From My Garage To Your Bedroom"

Also, any of the various surf-revival compilation albums this band has contributed to.
Thank you,    Kenny

Jesus drove a Honda. He wasn't proud of it, though...
John 12: 49     "...for I did not speak of my own Accord."

Tilar

I checked their site and all I could find were the decals that go on the doors for 1970 and up, not the dash VIN.
Dave  

God must love stupid people; He made so many.

Shakey

Tilar

Man, that tag looks very good.
Dave  

God must love stupid people; He made so many.

QuicksilverDiecast

Quote from: hemi-hampton on October 06, 2007, 11:10:27 PM

If any of you who are real ggod with the ORIGINAL Chrysler Parts Books and look thru the 1969 7 70-71 book in I believe it was group 23 body there WAS an actual part number for VIN Tags! So when I worked at the Dodge dealer back then I ordered 1 and sure enough got 1 brand new blank vin tag with NO numbers pressed into it. I would imagine these were available for warranty work when there may have been a need to replace the dash pad on an e body or the steel dash chassis on other cars and the dealer principle had to replace the tag as well most likely having the district rep get Mopar to restamp the plate with the proper numbers verified by both the dealer and Mopar.. The blank tag yes I still have it and is my personal collection, however they were discontinued long ago from mother Mopar.....just a little trivia