News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

VIN plate fabrication

Started by rudyjrusa, October 03, 2007, 03:45:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

rudyjrusa

hi - need to re-do my VIN plate on dash board - is there some one can fabricate these and provide the rivets to place back onto dash board??

Old Moparz

Bob                

I Gotta Stop Taking The Bus

dkn1997

While I would have no moral dilema with a guy making his own vin tag on a real deal car, I gotta ask why you need a new one?  can't you just refinish yours?  just looks like the paint wore off.  if you search around, you will find info on repainting it and may even find a stamp for it
RECHRGED

rudyjrusa

Quote from: dkn1997 on October 03, 2007, 04:30:38 PM
While I would have no moral dilema with a guy making his own vin tag on a real deal car, I gotta ask why you need a new one?  can't you just refinish yours?  just looks like the paint wore off.  if you search around, you will find info on repainting it and may even find a stamp for it

that is not my VIN - it is a sample - when i blasted my dash all the paint came off and had to repaint all black - would like to have the original look back on VIN plate.

dkn1997

I am missing something here.  I thought vin tags were stamped.  does blasting completely smooth out a vin tag?  also, in your first post you looked like you were asking if someone could fabricate you a new tag, but also say you need to re-do yours.  I am confused.
RECHRGED

41husk

I would like to have a fender tag made that will state it is a clone but indicate it to be a 1973 Super bee with N-96 hood.  Is there a Company that would make a clone fender tag?
1969 Dodge Charger 500 440/727
1970 Challenger convertible 340/727
1970 Plymouth Duster FM3
1974 Dodge Dart /6/904
1983 Plymouth Scamp GT 2.2 Auto
1950 Dodge Pilot house pick up

Old Moparz

Quote from: 41husk on October 04, 2007, 01:20:57 PM
I would like to have a fender tag made that will state it is a clone but indicate it to be a 1973 Super bee with N-96 hood.  Is there a Company that would make a clone fender tag?

Yes, they're out of Canada but I'll have to dig through some emails to find the name. They told me a fender tag with anything on it was $40 or so about a year ago. I was planning to have something sarcastic stamped on it, like "THIS IS A FENDER TAG"
               Bob                

I Gotta Stop Taking The Bus

41husk

Thanks! if you find that info please pass it on.
1969 Dodge Charger 500 440/727
1970 Challenger convertible 340/727
1970 Plymouth Duster FM3
1974 Dodge Dart /6/904
1983 Plymouth Scamp GT 2.2 Auto
1950 Dodge Pilot house pick up

John_Kunkel

All it takes to redo the dash VIN tag is some paint and the transparent decal with the Mopar logo. ECS is reportedly makinmg them now.

http://www.ecsautomotive.com/
Pardon me but my karma just ran over your dogma.

towman

i sell the rivets  if anyone needs them $30 free shipping waynehays@hotmail.com

hemi-hampton

:o 30 BUCKS, I though Jerome Verbit was selling them for $20? LEON. :-\

Sinister68

Quote from: John_Kunkel on October 04, 2007, 02:44:13 PM

All it takes to redo the dash VIN tag is some paint and the transparent decal with the Mopar logo. ECS is reportedly makinmg them now.

Thats where I got my dry transfer from...

-James
2013 Challenger SRT - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - 1968 Charger (R/T)
6.4 Hemi/Auto - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - 440 4bbl/5 Speed/Dana 3.54

Fitz73Chrgr

Quote from: hemi-hampton on October 05, 2007, 09:53:57 PM
:o 30 BUCKS, I though Jerome Verbit was selling them for $20? LEON. :-\

20 bucks is still pretty expensive for 2 rivets.  I'm guessing there is something special about VIN rivets? 
'73 Charger - project                '70 Charger - driver                 '66 Charger - survivor

Resto thread:
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,89803.msg1019541.html#msg1019541

JimShine

The head has a hexagonal shape rather than a smooth round like you find on your average rivets.

hemi-hampton

The correct Rosette head 8 pointed Rivets are hard to Find, Jerome found a large Stash years ago, Since then they have become easier to obtain from Chrysler workers, ect, ect. LEON.

hemigeno

Quote from: hemi-hampton on October 06, 2007, 11:10:27 PM
The correct Rosette head 8 pointed Rivets are hard to Find, Jerome found a large Stash years ago, Since then they have become easier to obtain from Chrysler workers, ect, ect. LEON.

I only spy six points...   :shruggy:

hemi-hampton

I was just taking a guess from memmory, OK, 6 it is. LEON. :slap:

rudyjrusa

does ecs have the transparent decal??

hemigeno

Quote from: rudyjrusa on October 08, 2007, 07:02:59 AM

If ECS doesn't have it, I know that David Patik at Performance Car Graphics does.  Here's a quote from p20 of his written catalog:

Gray Lettering and Pentastar for Your 1968-74 Dashboard VIN Plate:  All 1968-74 cars.  This is a high quality dry transfer that looks just like the original gray lettering.  With application instructions.  (This is not the plate itself, nor the stamped-in VIN.)  No need to remove the plate to apply lettering. ...$10.00
You must send in (by mail only, not fax or email) the following car documentation:
>  Copy of title/registration
>  Pencil-across-paper rubbing of the dash plate
>  Pencil rubbing of the entire fender tag(s)
>  Copy of broadcast sheet
>  No sales allowed to Michigan-registered cars

I don't know what David does if some of the above items are not available, you'll have to ask him.  Here is his email addy:  cargraphix@aol.com

Geno

hemi-hampton

Lots of People missing broadcast sheet :shruggy: :-\

Todd Wilson

Thought it was illegal to sell those rivots?!    Now you can buy the wasted Hemi car on ebay  and put its VIN on a  318 car and sell it for big bucks!

Todd

Back N Black

Quote from: Todd Wilson on October 10, 2007, 11:50:52 AM
Thought it was illegal to sell those rivots?!    Now you can buy the wasted Hemi car on ebay  and put its VIN on a  318 car and sell it for big bucks!

Todd

Don't forget to weld in the V.I.N on the trunk lip and rad support.   :cheers:

charger_mike75

Quote from: hemigeno on October 08, 2007, 09:33:53 AM
Quote from: rudyjrusa on October 08, 2007, 07:02:59 AM

If ECS doesn't have it, I know that David Patik at Performance Car Graphics does.  Here's a quote from p20 of his written catalog:

Gray Lettering and Pentastar for Your 1968-74 Dashboard VIN Plate:  All 1968-74 cars.  This is a high quality dry transfer that looks just like the original gray lettering.  With application instructions.  (This is not the plate itself, nor the stamped-in VIN.)  No need to remove the plate to apply lettering. ...$10.00
You must send in (by mail only, not fax or email) the following car documentation:
>  Copy of title/registration
>  Pencil-across-paper rubbing of the dash plate
>  Pencil rubbing of the entire fender tag(s)
>  Copy of broadcast sheet
>  No sales allowed to Michigan-registered cars

I don't know what David does if some of the above items are not available, you'll have to ask him.  Here is his email addy:  cargraphix@aol.com

Geno

Why would you have to send all that in just to get a decal?

kab69440

As usual, those of us with cars lacking those items are S.O.L. Someone thought they needed your fender tag more than you, and your car might as well be a parts pile. I suppose it's a good thing I am not a restorationist, and will not be requiring anything that company produces.
Imagination was given to man to compensate him for what he is not;  a sense of humor to console him for what he is.      Francis Bacon

WANT TO BUY:
Looking for a CD by  'The Sub-Mersians'  entitled "Raw Love Songs From My Garage To Your Bedroom"

Also, any of the various surf-revival compilation albums this band has contributed to.
Thank you,    Kenny

Jesus drove a Honda. He wasn't proud of it, though...
John 12: 49     "...for I did not speak of my own Accord."

Tilar

I checked their site and all I could find were the decals that go on the doors for 1970 and up, not the dash VIN.
Dave  

God must love stupid people; He made so many.