News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Mini starters and 440s

Started by CFMopar, July 25, 2005, 12:16:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

CFMopar

Any mods need to be done or do they bolt right up.
1971 Charger SE 440 automatic
2014 Ram EcoDiesel Laramie
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCCkKIkpXr-77fWg7JkeoV_g

RD

they will bolt right up no problem.
67 Plymouth Barracuda, 69 Plymouth Barracuda, 73 Charger SE, 75 D100, 80 Sno-Commander

max

i have heard of people have clearance issues between the block and the starter so just for safty reasons check to be sure. if there is a problem you can either grind the casting down on the block or remove a small portion of the starter itself.

General_01

Mine bolted right up(well,almost. Gotta love headers.It's so much fun trying to hold the starter and the header at the same time. Much easier when you got two people. :icon_smile_big:)
1971 Dodge Charger Super Bee
496 stroker
4-speed

1970440RT

The large positive stud on some mini starters need ground down because they will hit the block and arc.  Trust me.  Ive freakin done it.  The only time I've heard a 440 sound like a scalded cat.  Not pretty.

CFMopar

so got 50 % saying its fine 50 % saying it needs work

Troy

I remember CudaKen saying to replace the stud with a bolt if you put one on. Apparently they had tons of fun on DFS68's Charger.

Troy
Sarcasm detector, that's a real good invention.

Mefirst

About the ministarter.. Part # MRE644 from Mancini

You have to remove the plastic cover on the + and - prongs. Its also some what tricky to get the wires mounted, you dont have much room for your fingers, specialy when the left side header is in the way.. Also remeber to check that the ground and power wire dont connect, the prongs are realy close to eachother, if they do, youll kill your new starter. I bought this starter and it works well with the 10.7:1 comp I have in my 440...

/Tom

Chryco Psycho

:iagree:

you HAve to remove the plastic block to gain clearance for the cable mounting studs to clear the block properly

Just 6T9 CHGR

Like others said some have block mounting issues some not.

Perfect example......my old 440 the starter fit fine.

My new 440, I had to grind down the inner radiusof the block where the starter mounts.......casting flash.  No biggie
Chris' '69 Charger R/T

bull

Call me old fashioned but I like the nostalgia of the old starters. Very distinct sounding.

CFMopar

You talking bout the black plastic piece with the studs on it chryco?

Mefirst

Quote from: Thread_Marshal on July 26, 2005, 09:08:07 AM

Check the pic I posted. You have to remove the black plastic cover, you just pull it off. The cover can also be gray coloured. The studs are not in any way connected with the plastic, the plastic is just a cover. If I remeber correct, this is the also the starter youll find in a Voyager, etc..

RD

Quote from: Mefirst on July 26, 2005, 03:32:16 PM
Quote from: Thread_Marshal on July 26, 2005, 09:08:07 AM

Check the pic I posted. You have to remove the black plastic cover, you just pull it off. The cover can also be gray coloured. The studs are not in any way connected with the plastic, the plastic is just a cover. If I remeber correct, this is the also the starter youll find in a Voyager, etc..

i am not sure, but i think the voyager/caravan starters mounting bosses are different; though the housing of the motor is the same.   this starter is the same for 91 and up dodge trucks and   89 and up dakotas.
67 Plymouth Barracuda, 69 Plymouth Barracuda, 73 Charger SE, 75 D100, 80 Sno-Commander

BigBlockSam

i like the old birdies too   :scope:
I won't be wronged, I wont be Insulted and I wont be laid a hand on. I don't do these things to others, and I require the same from them.

[IMG]http://i45.tinypic.com/347b5v5.jpg[/img

Badbob

There are many variations of that ND starter. My big block Coronet, Dakota pickup, Harley Road King and the Wifes Accord all have a NipponDenso starter. The only thing that ever goes wrong with them is that the copper contacts wear out giving just a click, click after a while. The contacts are cheap and easy to replace, best starter ever made, from japan.

BrianShaughnessy

Quote from: bull on July 26, 2005, 08:40:27 AM
Call me old fashioned but I like the nostalgia of the old starters. Very distinct sounding.

You're old fashioned.

I prefer when I turn the key that the engine start up ASAP  :icon_smile_big:
Black Betty:  1969 Charger R/T - X9 440 six pack, TKO600 5 speed, 3.73 Dana 60.
Sinnamon:  1969 Charger R/T - T5 440, 727, 3.23 8 3/4 high school sweetheart.

CFMopar

So I can get one of these of a 91 ram and it will bolt up to a 440?

Idaho_grumpy_bear

I have had problems with clearing the headers (heddman headers) I had to modify one of the tubes by cutting out a section and welding back in a section with a slightly differant curve to it. A real pain. But the starter was free and the headers were old. The Starter would not clear the Supercomp Hookers in my friend Challenger either. I do not know where he got the starter or what it was supposed to fit, but it works great now after the modifications.       Grumpy :icon_smile_tongue:

CFMopar

I find it odd that the big normal starter clears but the mini one dosnt :icon_smile_question:

max

Quote from: Thread_Marshal on July 26, 2005, 10:32:59 PM

the one i bought from a salvage yard came from a 1995 dakota with a 318 and just as mentioned in the other post i removed the plastic extenstion and bolted it right up to my 426 hemi. i think i gave $25.00 for it and it had a 90 day warrenty with it.

bull

Quote from: BrianShaughnessy on July 26, 2005, 10:18:23 PM
Quote from: bull on July 26, 2005, 08:40:27 AM

You're old fashioned.

I prefer when I turn the key that the engine start up ASAP   :icon_smile_big:

What's the hurry?  :icon_smile_cool:

Chryco Psycho

Quote from: Thread_Marshal on July 26, 2005, 10:32:59 PM

Yes , the black cover pops off & there are 2 nuts under ti to remove to take the extension piece off 

Wakko

Is there an advantage besides weight savings?
Ian

'69 Basketcase, bluetooth powered

Boynton 236 F&AM

Chryco Psycho

often you cannchange them without removing headers