News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

did any chargers come with pistol grips?

Started by Pistolpete, October 09, 2005, 08:04:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Pistolpete

Just wondering if anyone knows if any chargers - 69's in particular - had pistol grip shifters?
Trying to plan out my resto and gather parts, I think a pistol grip would look awesome on my Charger, were these ever actually installed and if not I'd appreciate any opinions on how it might look and how difficult it would be to do (I have a 440 4spd)
Is there anywhere to purchase aftermerket "pistolgrip" kits.

thanks
Pete
'68 440 4 spd - Pro Tour
'69 R/T 440 4 spd

I love being me......ask anybody!

Just 6T9 CHGR

69's were never offered with the Pistol-Grip....that started in 70

Just the round ball shifter in 69 :thumbs:
Chris' '69 Charger R/T

hotrod98

You can get the shifter handles from Harms at    http://www.surprisegarage.com
Order your shifter mechanism from Summit.
Order a Hurst Competition Plus. Just tell them the application and they can get you the installation kit that goes with it.
The whole setup will run around $500. That's cheap.
Original worn out setups would cost more than that usually.

Normal is an illusion. What is normal for the spider is chaos for the fly.
Charles Addams

Brock Samson

Interesting. that's the first wood grain shifter ball I've ever seen... I thought they were all white...

Spartan

I see your side panel console carpet is over the sidelight.  Was that stock or some creative engineering?  Never seen that before.
Over?! its not over until we say it is! Was it over when the Germans bombed Pearl Harbor?!...Hell no! and its not over now!..(Germans? Pearl Harbor?...shut up, he's on a roll)

Charger Aficionado

Quote from: Spartan on October 09, 2005, 08:34:14 PM
I see your side panel console carpet is over the sidelight. Was that stock or some creative engineering? Never seen that before.
That is Stock on 4-speed consoles.   

cudaken

Hum, Chris I will be the last one here to say you are wrong about Chargers and may be Dodge and Plymouth did driffrent thing things in 69. Or it might a option for Plymouth only in 69. I got my pistol grip shifter out a 69 GTX. Yeah I know Charger's but still at heart a Plymouth guy. But then again, it was in a bone yard in 1984 so it might have been changed out before I went grave robbing.

Cuda Ken
I am back

RT/SE

I also have a 69 440 4 speed Charger and am thinking about going with a pistol grip myself (I already have the shifter handle).  You can get the Pistol Grip Shifter handles from Gunslinger.  Here's the link:  http://www.pistolgrip727.com/  He's at all the big Mopar shows.  I'm not sure if he sells kits but he might.

hotrod98

Starting in 70 there were 3 different pistol grip shifters in b-bodies. Console style, non console style with buckets and bench seat style. They were all slip fit styles in 70. In 71 they were changed to bolt in style.  E-bodies just had the one style.
It was popular for guys to get used ones and put them in the older cars back in the 70's. Most of my friends 68 and 69 4-speed cars were converted to pistol grips. It was the cool thing to do back then.

Charles Addams

694spdRT

Chris is right....'70 was the first year.

I put one in my '69 for now. I am waiting to get the original one back from the chrome shop.
1968 Charger 383 auto
1969 Charger R/T 440 4 speed
1970 Charger 500 440 auto
1972 Challenger 318
1976 W200 Club Cab 4x4 400 auto 
1978 Ramcharger 360 auto
2001 Durango SLT 4.7L (daily driver)
2005 Ram 2500 4x4 Big Horn Cummins Diesel 6 speed
2005 Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited 5.7 Hemi

Troy

Quote from: Stratocharger on October 09, 2005, 08:26:14 PM
Interesting. that's the first wood grain shifter ball I've ever seen... I thought they were all white...

They were white in 68.

Troy
Sarcasm detector, that's a real good invention.

Rocky

Quote from: Troy on October 10, 2005, 12:13:44 AM

They were white in 68.

Troy

When I decided to go with the 5spd conversion for my 68, I just had to get the pistol grip shifter.  It's just too damn cool.  I love it even if it's not correct.

BrianShaughnessy

Quote from: Rocky on October 10, 2005, 05:09:35 AM

When I decided to go with the 5spd conversion for my 68, I just had to get the pistol grip shifter.   It's just too damn cool.   I love it even if it's not correct.

Same... although at first I actually tried to figure out how to use my 69 Hurst shifter but I wasn't willing to hack it up.
    And the decision to go pistol grip cost nearly 2 months in time between the shifter and the correct offset adapter.     I drove the car without a console boot for a month waiting on the correct adapter.     I actually liked the location better without the adapter but I have to live with it to have the shfiter centered in the console.

EDIT:  NOW WITH PIC!
Black Betty:  1969 Charger R/T - X9 440 six pack, TKO600 5 speed, 3.73 Dana 60.
Sinnamon:  1969 Charger R/T - T5 440, 727, 3.23 8 3/4 high school sweetheart.

hotrod98

When I show my 71 cuda, I get more comments on the pistol grip shifter than the shaker hood. I don't know how many times I've heard
"oh wow, it's got one of those gun handle shifters".
The pistol grip shifter was the deciding factor in converting my car from auto to 4-speed.

Charles Addams

Just 6T9 CHGR

Quote from: Charger Aficionado on October 09, 2005, 08:41:03 PM
Quote from: Spartan on October 09, 2005, 08:34:14 PM
I see your side panel console carpet is over the sidelight. Was that stock or some creative engineering? Never seen that before.
That is Stock on 4-speed consoles.

:iagree:
Chris' '69 Charger R/T

Just 6T9 CHGR

They were white in 68.

Troy

Chris' '69 Charger R/T

Pistolpete

thanks for the info guys, I think that just about clinches it , goin' with the pistol grip, thanks for the pics - thats just too damn cool !!
post some more pics if you have'em please!!

:drive:
'68 440 4 spd - Pro Tour
'69 R/T 440 4 spd

Charger Aficionado

And why not?  (you are "Pistol Pete")... :)

RT/SE

Since we are on the topic of putting a pistol gip shifter in a 69 Charger.  Will the pistol grip shifter work with the stock 69 shifter box/rods?   Do you have to use a 70 shifter box/rods?  For those of you running the pistol grip in you 1969 can you give more details on your setup.  Thanks.

Charger Aficionado

BrianShaughnessy

Quote from: TripleX9 on October 10, 2005, 01:25:57 PM
Since we are on the topic of putting a pistol gip shifter in a 69 Charger.   Will the pistol grip shifter work with the stock 69 shifter box/rods?     Do you have to use a 70 shifter box/rods?   For those of you running the pistol grip in you 1969 can you give more details on your setup.   Thanks.

http://www.harmsauto.com/      They have 70 console or non console B body slide in repro pistol grips... just scroll down on the left side of the page.

As long as you got the slide in handle,  they should work AFAIK.

694spdRT

Quote from: TripleX9 on October 10, 2005, 01:25:57 PM
Since we are on the topic of putting a pistol gip shifter in a 69 Charger.   Will the pistol grip shifter work with the stock 69 shifter box/rods?     Do you have to use a 70 shifter box/rods?   For those of you running the pistol grip in you 1969 can you give more details on your setup.   Thanks.

I used the '70 slide in handle on my '69 hurst mechanism with factory shift rods. My hand doesn't hit the dash in 1st or 3rd, however, the shifter does just touch the back part of the console lid under hard shifts in 2nd and 4th.

1968 Charger 383 auto
1972 Challenger 318
1978 Ramcharger 360 auto

ChargerHound69

In 1970 did 4 speeds come with 318 cars, or just big blocks???? 

Dodge Don

Quote from: ChargerHound69 on October 10, 2005, 06:12:03 PM
In 1970 did 4 speeds come with 318 cars, or just big blocks???? 

70 Chargers with the 318 engine did not come with the 4-speed tranny (option code D21), They primarily came with the A904 Automatic (option code D31) and in rare instances came with the 3-Speed manual tranny (option code D12).

Blakcharger440

Nope...no 68 or 69 Chargers ever came with the pistol grip shifter  :icon_smile_big:....Only 70 for the second generation charger!
No 68or69 GTX's either

hotrod98

Not that it matters, but the repro console shifter handle is slightly different than the original handle. The bends are slightly different. I compared them at the Topeka show. One of the vendors had one of each.
All of my pistol grip shifter cars have had consoles, but I'm going to build one of my next cars without a console and use the non-console shifter. The shifter stands out so much better without the console. I like the shorter throw of the short shifter.

Charles Addams

ChargerHound69

So I just found one with this D12 option and a 318.  How rare are these cars???

TeeWJay426

They're pretty rare; according to Galen's numbers, 192 XH29 cars, and 82 XP29 cars with 318 3-speeds were built in '70. Desirability may be somewhat subjective, however.
74 Charger SE, 400 HP, 4-speed

ChargerHound69

This is a XH29G   1970 Charger.  It has the 318 with the manual shifter on the floor. 

If it is 1 of 192 it should be somewhat desirable,    right?????

Vainglory, Esq.

Quote from: Rocky on October 10, 2005, 05:09:35 AM

They were white in 68.

Troy

When I decided to go with the 5spd conversion for my 68, I just had to get the pistol grip shifter.   It's just too damn cool.   I love it even if it's not correct.

Switch '70 for '68 and I'm the same.

Charger Aficionado

tipopiola

I realize I'm jumping on this thread a little late, but does everyone agree with the "white-ball in 68" theory?  I've got 2 4-speed 68's and both came with the woodgrain ball.  I already bought a new white ball for the R/T just because I think it will look better since there is nothing else woodgrain in a 68 interior (except possibly the steering wheel), but I believe the wood grain ball was stock in 68'.  Maybe it is just a later build 68' thing, since both of my 68's are pretty late build cars.  Just my thoughts, Tipopiola :icon_smile_big:

Charger Aficionado

Quote from: tipopiola on October 26, 2005, 11:11:36 AM
I realize I'm jumping on this thread a little late, but does everyone agree with the "white-ball in 68" theory? I've got 2 4-speed 68's and both came with the woodgrain ball. I already bought a new white ball for the R/T just because I think it will look better since there is nothing else woodgrain in a 68 interior (except possibly the steering wheel), but I believe the wood grain ball was stock in 68'. Maybe it is just a later build 68' thing, since both of my 68's are pretty late build cars. Just my thoughts, Tipopiola :icon_smile_big:
my '68 ALSO had woodgrain, and it was a pretty original car.

hemigeno

IIRC, I think the woodgrain ball was introduced at the same time as the Hurst shifter (mid '68 model year).

If that's the case, then most likely:
Inland Shifter = white knob
Hurst Shifter = woodgrain knob

Quote from: ChargerHound69 on October 11, 2005, 12:29:11 PM
This is a XH29G 1970 Charger. It has the 318 with the manual shifter on the floor.

If it is 1 of 192 it should be somewhat desirable, right?????

It's easy to do, but you shouldn't confuse desirability with rare.  There are very few /6 Chargers, but they probably wouldn't sell for what a decent 383 car would bring.  Same thing with a 318/3-speed.

I have a soft spot for them, since the first '69 Charger I ever sat in was my cousin's 69 triple green 318 3-on-the-tree daily driver.  Even though it wasn't a Hi-Po car, it was the neatest-looking car around to me.

694spdRT

Quote from: Charger Aficionado on October 26, 2005, 12:16:07 PM
Quote from: tipopiola on October 26, 2005, 11:11:36 AM
I realize I'm jumping on this thread a little late, but does everyone agree with the "white-ball in 68" theory? I've got 2 4-speed 68's and both came with the woodgrain ball. I already bought a new white ball for the R/T just because I think it will look better since there is nothing else woodgrain in a 68 interior (except possibly the steering wheel), but I believe the wood grain ball was stock in 68'. Maybe it is just a later build 68' thing, since both of my 68's are pretty late build cars. Just my thoughts, Tipopiola :icon_smile_big:
my '68 ALSO had woodgrain, and it was a pretty original car.

I didn't say anything earlier but, the console shifter I bought is from a '68 model(the older hurst lettering) and it had a well worn woodgrain shifter knob on it. The inland knobs I have seen are black though, not white.
1968 Charger 383 auto
1972 Challenger 318
1978 Ramcharger 360 auto

Pistolpete

wait a minute, I know I'm a rookie here but I'm tryin' to keep up - so you're saying the hurst shifter in my 69 R/T could be factory??

'68 440 4 spd - Pro Tour
'69 R/T 440 4 spd

694spdRT

The '69 hurst shifter looks like the one posted...it has a round shaft with woodgrain ball.

The '70 hurst is the pistol grip.
1968 Charger 383 auto
1972 Challenger 318
1978 Ramcharger 360 auto

Just 6T9 CHGR

Cool yer pistols there Pete!   ball in 69, pistol in 70
Chris' '69 Charger R/T

Pistolpete

No I get, I get ..... I mean the shifter not the grip - Hurst was stock? I thought it was aftermarket?? is there a conversion just for the handle?? Oh please say yes !!!! :icon_smile_tongue:
'68 440 4 spd - Pro Tour
'69 R/T 440 4 spd

hemigeno

Quote from: Pistolpete on October 26, 2005, 08:31:23 PM
No I get, I get ..... I mean the shifter not the grip - Hurst was stock? I thought it was aftermarket?? is there a conversion just for the handle?? Oh please say yes !!!! :icon_smile_tongue:

Pete,

Which handle are you dying to put in your car?   And which style of shifter mechanism do you have (Inland or Hurst, bolt-in handle or slip-in style)?

The Hurst "Competition" shifter mechanism (the part that attaches to your transmission) is factory/stock basically from mid-68 up.   I used a "Competition Plus" shifter on my Hemicar, which is basically the same shifter mechanism that has two holes tapped on the case for bolts to be used as adjustable stops (keeps the shifter forks from going too far while speed shifting... mmmmmm.... speed shifting...   but I digress).

From mid '68 through the end of the '69 model year, the shifter handle had a woodgrain ball knob.   From '70+ the shifter was a pistol grip.   IIRC all of the shifter handles that went with the Hurst shifter mechanisms had the name "Hurst" spelled out on them.   I have forgotten which of the shifter mechanisms had slip-in shifter handles, and which had bolt-in handles, but I'm sure some of the other guys on here can fill you in on that.  

You can put a ball-knob handle or a pistol-grip in a '69 shifter, you just need to get the right one that mates up with the style of shifter mechanism you have.   Whatcha got?

694spdRT

Pistolpete,

A Hurst shifter was available in many cars from the factory. My '77 Trans Am even has one.  :drive:
1968 Charger 383 auto
1972 Challenger 318
1978 Ramcharger 360 auto

Charger Aficionado

You could have got a factory HURST shifter in a 2000-2002 Pontiac Trans AM WS6 package as a $350 add-on if my memory serves me right on the price... 

Pistolpete

OK..........I have a hurst shifter in the car, I'm assuming it had the little white ball, as it now has an aftermarket "full" grip, I don't know what you mean by bolt in or slip instyle though, I've attached apic if that helps..........sorry.

I HAVE to have the pistol grip handle on my car ....... absolutely in love with the look!

I'll try and post a better pic tonight, All the one's I have right now keep getting returned "file size too big" and I dont know how too reduce them, I'll take a couple of shots tonight on the lower resolution.
'68 440 4 spd - Pro Tour
'69 R/T 440 4 spd

Pistolpete

I know I'm getting way ahead of myself cuz I just started the resto .... but damnit .... u guys just got me all excited ....LOL :icon_smile_tongue:
'68 440 4 spd - Pro Tour
'69 R/T 440 4 spd

Shakey

Relax Pete..... You will need a lot of time, money and most of all patience during the resto.   :yesnod:

Hang out here, use the search feature, read a lot of the helpful information and of course don't be afraid to ask questions.

From the looks of the car, it will be some time before you need to worry about a shifter handle.   :icon_smile_big:  Did I say to be patinet yet?

Don't worry, the folks here won't steer you wrong.   :thumbs:

Pistolpete

Hi Shakey,
I know, I know,  ;) but The interior is all out now and we'll be pullin gthe engine this weekend , just thought that if there is anything I need to do to the tranny (set-up?) now's the time - no?
'68 440 4 spd - Pro Tour
'69 R/T 440 4 spd

Pistolpete

Also, my set up (when it was new of course) is exactly like just 6t9 chargers pic at the beginning of this post.
'68 440 4 spd - Pro Tour
'69 R/T 440 4 spd

Shakey

Do you plan on doing a proper restoration or do you want to just piece it back together, patch it up and get it on the road?   Don't take offense to this, it makes a difference.   

If you live where I live, which you do, then you have at least 6 months before this car will see the road.   Unless you plan on driving it in the snow.

Check your PM's

Troy

Hmmmm, now I'm bummed. I did a whole lot of research before getting all of my 4-speed parts and I was sure that 68s had the white ball. So, I dug out my new parts book last night to check and it only lists the woodgrain ball for the Hurst shifters. I really think it looks out of place in a 68 though so I guess I'll be keeping my white one. There is another part number with a poor description so I'll have to check on that to see what it is. All of my pictures and my other research is on another computer right now. I'm not a big fan of pistol grip shifter handles in 68 or 69 cars but that's just my own opinion.

Troy
Sarcasm detector, that's a real good invention.

BrianShaughnessy

Quote from: Pistolpete on October 27, 2005, 05:50:48 AM
OK..........I have a hurst shifter in the car, I'm assuming it had the little white ball, as it now has an aftermarket "full" grip, I don't know what you mean by bolt in or slip instyle though, I've attached apic if that helps..........sorry.

I HAVE to have the pistol grip handle on my car ....... absolutely in love with the look!

I'll try and post a better pic tonight, All the one's I have right now keep getting returned "file size too big" and I dont know how too reduce them, I'll take a couple of shots tonight on the lower resolution.

That is a Hurst T-handle "grip"...  I had one with the red button for the line lock until this year.   I'm not a fan of the balls... white or wood or whatever.
I like the pistol grip... especially with the keisler having the short throw.     Folks at car shows like them too.   

As for knowing if it's slip in or bolt on... pull up the top console plate and the lower boot if applicable and see if there's 2 bolts holding the shift handle into the shifter mechanism... they'd be either 5/16 or 3/8 bolts (I forget which right now).     

As for resizing pics... see my post at the bottom of this thread http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,3442.0.html

hemigeno

Below are two pics of my stock setup.  This is the '69 "slip-in" style.  The handle is held in the shifter mechanism by a spring-loaded clip, and you have to use a feeler gauge as a probe to release the clip in order to pull the handle out of the mechanism.  My handle isn't all the way into the shifter mechanism in these pictures.

If it were the "bolt-in" style, the mechanism would hold the handle in place in a similar receiver - but instead of having the springloaded retainer clip, there would be two bolts.  You can see two indentations on the shifter mechanism receiver about where the bolts would be.

Hope this helps!

hemigeno

Quote from: Troy on October 27, 2005, 07:43:45 AM
Hmmmm, now I'm bummed. I did a whole lot of research before getting all of my 4-speed parts and I was sure that 68s had the white ball. So, I dug out my new parts book last night to check and it only lists the woodgrain ball for the Hurst shifters. I really think it looks out of place in a 68 though so I guess I'll be keeping my white one. There is another part number with a poor description so I'll have to check on that to see what it is. All of my pictures and my other research is on another computer right now. I'm not a big fan of pistol grip shifter handles in 68 or 69 cars but that's just my own opinion.

Troy

Troy, have you tried to put the white ball on the end of your Hurst shifter handle?  IIRC there were both coarse thread and fine thread white knobs made, but I think all the Hurst knob-type handles (on Mopar's, anyway) were fine threaded.

Just curious...

tipopiola

I know that the first Hurst white ball I bought from Checker Auto didn't work with the threads of the shifter.  I had to return it and buy the one with the correct threads from Jegs.  I've still got the original brown ones if I ever want to be completely correct with it, but the white looks better with the all black interior and white stripes.  Tipopiola :icon_smile_big:

Pistolpete

Cool, I'll check tonight as far as what type it is and let you guys know.

As far as the type of resto, orginally it was gonna be a qucik "restification" to have'er on the road by spring but the thing looks so damn good all around (very little rust except for the trunk pan) even the floors look great! I'm thinking of biting the bullet and doing a more in depth restoration. how in depth I'm not sure (to dip or not to dip, that is the question)

I'm lucky enough that I've got the opportunity to have someone working on it almost full time over the winter (and no this car will never see snow or maybe even rain again if I have anything to say about it.)

Probably gonna send it out to do the body work,so hopefully she goes back together reasonably quickly (famous last words right)

we'll see what happens.

'68 440 4 spd - Pro Tour
'69 R/T 440 4 spd

Pistolpete

Ok I've got the "slip in" style as far as I can tell, please see pic.

Is it as simple as disconnecting the current one and buying a pistol grip kit??

Oh, and how hard is it to remove the existing??
'68 440 4 spd - Pro Tour
'69 R/T 440 4 spd

BrianShaughnessy

It's a slip in.   Yup... you just need a slip-in console pistol grip.

As for disconnecting... yeah,  Geno said it up further.    Get a valve feeler guage set and slip about a .020 or so down inbetween next to the handle.    Might be on the left, could be on the right side... don' t know for sure.   You'll know it when you feel it...   then just pull the handle out.

Pistolpete

Thanks Brian, would the one that Chargeraficionado has for sale in the ebay section work in my case??
'68 440 4 spd - Pro Tour
'69 R/T 440 4 spd

hemigeno

No, I don't think it will work for you (without changing out your shifter mechanism).   C/A's handle is the bolt-in style.   Normally, there's no holes drilled in a slip-in style.  I honestly don't know if they make repro pistol-grip handles in both styles (bolt-in and slip-in).  You may have to wait for an original handle to pop up for sale if they only make the bolt-in variety.

Tony D'Agostino http://www.tonysparts.com  has a '70 console pistol grip for $395 listed.  I just did a search of his site for "pistol grip" and it popped up.  You'd have to confirm with him that it is the slip-in style though.  Might be just what you're looking for  ???

BrianShaughnessy

Here's the repro from harms auto.   http://www.surprisegarage.com/1970%20B%20console.htm

Somebody mentioned the bends weren't quite like factory IIRCBIFTD.     Whatever... neither is the pistol grip in a '69   :P

Trying not to be  a jerk or anything but I think CA's was "modified"  :P  seeing the 2 different size bolts used.

Pistolpete

awseome, I'm gonna check it ouot today, gotta have the grip baby!!

just as a side note, I gotta say thanks to Troy and all you guys on this site, there hasn't been a question that someone hasn't had the answer to (and been willing to share) and taken the time to explain to a rookie. You guys are the best and thanks again for all your help, I'm sure there will be countless more things I need explained as I get further into this resto!!

:2thumbs:
'68 440 4 spd - Pro Tour
'69 R/T 440 4 spd

Dodge Don

Just a thought.....sell the 69 and get a 70 with the pistol grip option  :slap:

694spdRT

Hemigeno,

Isn't it possible to just drill out the slip in mechanism for the bolts? They even have it countersunk for you already. ;)
1968 Charger 383 auto
1972 Challenger 318
1978 Ramcharger 360 auto

694spdRT

Quote from: Dodge Don on October 28, 2005, 07:20:01 PM

Don,
It is hard to find a '70 with a pistol grip in it anymore. All us '69 guys have already swiped them.  :smilielol:
1968 Charger 383 auto
1972 Challenger 318
1978 Ramcharger 360 auto

Pistolpete

Quote from: 694spdRT on October 28, 2005, 08:42:53 PM
Just a thought.....sell the 69 and get a 70 with the pistol grip option   :slap:

ummm.....................no

but i did try to slide in the feeler guage and it didn't work,, was in a hurry though, will try it again tomorrow morning................thanks
'68 440 4 spd - Pro Tour
'69 R/T 440 4 spd

hemigeno

Quote from: 694spdRT on October 28, 2005, 08:41:27 PM
Hemigeno,

Isn't it possible to just drill out the slip in mechanism for the bolts? They even have it countersunk for you already. ;)

It probably is, although I haven't done it myself.  It's obviously possible to have a slip-in style handle drilled out to fit a bolt-in style mechanism.  My Hemicar had that oddball arrangement when I bought it (wrong shifter mechanism, of course).

I wouldn't want to go drilling around on a shifter mechanism without a spare laying around "just in case".

It's a thought, though!

Charger Aficionado

Can't you purchase the shifting mechanism that has the "Bolt-in" style?  Is that is an easy swap??? 

That one at Harm's doesn't have the hurst logo...  If I don't sell the Hurst one I have I will lower the price to 300 no reserve, and let it ride.

Dodge Don

Quote from: 694spdRT on October 28, 2005, 08:42:53 PM

Don,
It is hard to find a '70 with a pistol grip in it anymore. All us '69 guys have already swiped them.  :smilielol:

Son-of-a- :icon_smile_question:

You're right....hands off the 70 only stuff everyone  ;D

Pistolpete

CRAP, tried it again and still cant get the durn thing to let go, do you slip the guage in between the sifter and the metal seperator piece (spring load clip?) or between the "box casing" and the metal piece, and how far down do you push the gauge - just cant seem to get it to work. (tried both left and right side !?)

do I sound frustrated yet??  :yesnod: :yesnod:
'68 440 4 spd - Pro Tour
'69 R/T 440 4 spd

THE CHARGER PUNK

every 4-spd 70 charger r/t or 500 came with pistol grip shifter a base car did not tho very odd-MATT

BrianShaughnessy

Quote from: Pistolpete on October 29, 2005, 10:02:19 PM
CRAP, tried it again and still cant get the durn thing to let go, do you slip the guage in between the sifter and the metal seperator piece (spring load clip?) or between the "box casing" and the metal piece, and how far down do you push the gauge - just cant seem to get it to work. (tried both left and right side !?)

do I sound frustrated yet??   :yesnod: :yesnod:

Right against the actual shifter.  You're trying to force the spring clip out away from the shifter handle.  You may need a slightly thinner feeler guage...  IIRC I ended up with .018 perhaps.  Oil it up with something too - liquid wrench type stuff.  And IIRC ya need to get it down there a good inch,  inch and a half.
   I was scratching various body parts trying to figure it out at first also.

694spdRT

You will likely need penetrating oil to free it up as it has probably never been out of the car yet. Mine was acting the same way until I used the WD-40. Keep trying and as you are using the feeler gauge wiggle the shifter a bit as you pull up. Good Luck.
1968 Charger 383 auto
1972 Challenger 318
1978 Ramcharger 360 auto

Pistolpete

'68 440 4 spd - Pro Tour
'69 R/T 440 4 spd

Ghoste

Well, it's been a few days, how'd ya make out?

70daytonaclone

HI does anybody know where to get a stock 69 console shifter? I am looking for a non pistol grip shifter...thanks Stephen

694spdRT

Quote from: 70daytonaclone on January 02, 2006, 07:57:40 AM
HI does anybody know where to get a stock 69 console shifter? I am looking for a non pistol grip shifter...thanks Stephen

You will need to find one used as those are not being reproduced. There are on Ebay all the time or Brewer's or Tony's will likely have one.

http://www.brewersperformance.com/

http://www.tonysparts.com/

I bought one off Ebay and had it rechromed. You can buy the woodgrain shifter know from any of the reproduction vendors or from one of the two listed above.
1968 Charger 383 auto
1972 Challenger 318
1978 Ramcharger 360 auto

tecmopar

Pistol, what you need to do is load up the area where the handle slips in with some Liquid Wrench or PB Blaster on both sides pushing the handle hard from side to side and fore and aft to make sure it gets down in there. Next, if I'm looking at the right picture I can see that you have a round stock console shifter handle so you want to gently tap it down with a hammer to make sure the clip isn't locked into the wedge area that you can't see. Then you take a .012 or .014 feeler gauge, nothing larger, draw a line on it about 1" from the end and slip it in between the handle and the clip on the DRIVERS SIDE about 1/2", keeping it centered. NOW, push and hold the handle HARD towards the pass. side to make room and at the same time slide and wiggle the feeler gauge down about another 1/2" and it should release the clip. When it goes in to the mark you may have to gently tap the handle up with a hammer and it should slide out. Good luck.