News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Rear defroster

Started by 69 rt, October 09, 2005, 09:16:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

69 rt

My 69 RT has a switch for a rear defroster and an opening in the rear for what I guess was a rear defroster. Were these an electrical type heater mounted in the rear? Does anyone have any info on these?

Thanks

Khyron

no, it's just a blower that circulates the air in the car. NO electriical heating element.

It works good actually ;)

Before reading my posts please understand me by clicking
HERE, HERE, AND HERE.

Brock Samson

where exactly is that switch?... and underdash toggle or what?..
i gotta buncha plastic pieces and what looks like a motor/heater... i seem to recall some wire too, but i aint seen those things in nearly six years..

JimShine

In '69 and 70 it was in the convertable top switch location on the left hand side of the heater controls mounted to the metal overhang pf the dash core.

Brock Samson

Just 6T9 CHGR

Heres mine installed......interesting little fact.......on the back side of the knob where it says R.Wind or R.Def it has TOP on it for use as a convertible top switch ;)
Chris' '69 Charger R/T

JimShine

I have had both types of switches, R.Wind and R. DEF. Is R.wind 1969 and R.DEF 1970?

Spartan

How hard are these to find and how much wiring is needed?
Over?! its not over until we say it is! Was it over when the Germans bombed Pearl Harbor?!...Hell no! and its not over now!..(Germans? Pearl Harbor?...shut up, he's on a roll)

JimShine

I have had a few and know of a few more in my local junkyard. The Charger has a smaller vent than the other cars making that piece unique, but the motors are the same. The problem I had with all the ones I have had was the heating elements were shot. Once I find one with a good heater in it, I will put one in my car.

One more problem if you have a 1969 or 1970 the switch doesn't just mount into a stock non-rear defrost dash. There is no delete plate. You have to cut a large hole almost the diameter of a can of soda into your dash to make the factory switch work.

derailed

this is how the rear defroster motor looks like in my 68 under the package shelf, not sure if its correct or not because rear speakers were added there to. At least it might give you an idea how it goes.

Just 6T9 CHGR

My car didnt have one originally and I did just that....cut a fairly large hole in the dash.  There is no block off plate in a non-factory installed rear defroster dash.
I bought my set up from a 69 Charger and the guy actually made me a cardboard template on the location/diameter of the hole.

Heater element?   I didnt know they had one in the motor.  I thought it was just cold air blown (although I never ran it long enough to check if hot air really comes out)

Originally the motor gets mounted in I believe the pass side speaker opening using a special bracket.

Since I have 2 6x9" in the speaker holes, I mounted the motor on the drivers side of the package tray in another location where there was a hole for fresh air intake into the blower usinf some rubber grommets to cud down on the vibration.
I had to turn the plenum around and get a longer piece of duct........works for me :thumbs: 
Chris' '69 Charger R/T

andy74

i have one for a 3rd gen charger-i can take a pic if you need one,its out of the car right now

twilt

what is being called a "heating element" is in fact not a heating element, its simply a resistor block for multi speed operation.   :yesnod:

twilt

for those who have never seen one,  here is a couple pics of the rear defog  adapter used on 5 speaker set-ups. usually if you got defog, the
defog was installed in pass side speaker hole. with the adapter, the defog and pass side speaker can both be present. 

Just 6T9 CHGR

Chris' '69 Charger R/T

JimShine

A local guy with a '70 Charger has a heating element in his. The air isn't hot like a blow drier, but it is warm even when surrounding air is cool. Figured they were all like that.

twilt

Quote from: Just 6T9_CHGR.... on October 13, 2005, 04:09:01 PM
That from a 3rd gen?
i didnt get it off a 3rd gen  but i believe that they were available on most 68-72 models. e body guys will pay top dollar for them. i have found an identical set-up  in a 72 polara before. the ,vent and bezel are different from line to line  but the motor and adapter plate are the same.

Nacho-RT74

speakers/blowers adaptor are the same for all bodies all years
Venezuelan RT 74 400 4bbl, 727, 8.75 3.23 open. Now stroked with 440 crank and 3.55 SG. Here is the History and how is actually: http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,7603.0/all.html
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,25060.0.html

greenrt_se

I just put rear defogger in my 69 and put switch inside the center console box,working geat(well just 1 speed)

twilt

Quote from: Nacho-RT74 on October 14, 2005, 11:17:51 AM
what years? is 68-72 correct?

Nacho-RT74

ALL years: 68-72... also earlier ( when was available ) and later than that...
BTW still looking for an affordable one :P
Venezuelan RT 74 400 4bbl, 727, 8.75 3.23 open. Now stroked with 440 crank and 3.55 SG. Here is the History and how is actually: http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,7603.0/all.html

Doc74

Quote from: Nacho-RT74 on October 15, 2005, 11:52:51 AM
ALL years: 68-72... also earlier ( when was available ) and later than that...
BTW still looking for an affordable one :P

Same here, I got the switch but that's it.
Quote from: JimShine on October 10, 2005, 01:40:45 PM
I have had both types of switches, R.Wind and R. DEF. Is R.wind 1969 and R.DEF 1970?

I got R.DEF and it's a 69.

Daytona R/T SE

Quote from: twilt on October 14, 2005, 01:50:08 PM
I bought one of these off e-bay to use in my '69....there is no way this thing fits a 69 Charger,it might work on other cars, but not a 69 Charger.....Oh well I'll just keep it for my '72  :yesnod:

8WHEELER

I bought one of these off e-bay to use in my '69....there is no way this thing fits a 69 Charger,it might work on other cars, but not a 69 Charger.....Oh well I'll just keep it for my '72  :yesnod:

I was going to get one for my 68 so same room as a 69, can you tell me why it will not fit??
Hang down to far? will it hit the back seat?
I know a guy that has one on a 68 but I have never seen it yet........

Dan
74 Dart Sport 360, just for added fun.

Nacho-RT74

adaptors are made to fit on 6x9 speakers holes on same hole where blower would be attached since blower is also 6x9, and this is located on passenger side. On 3rd gens, driver side speaker is 5x8, don't know the rest

5 speakers set up was only to E bodies since they were only ones with that setup option, three on dash and two on rear.

B bodies and rest max speakers option, was three. Front and left rear were LEFT side, and right was of course RIGHt side. Adaptor was to Cars with double rear Speaker AND rear deffog options.