News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

TALLADEGA '09 THREAD

Started by pettybird, April 18, 2008, 10:15:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

PocketThunder

Does anyone know if there will be the Disney movie "Cars" cars on display at this event?  I will be bringing my 4 year old son and he would enjoy seeing that..
"Liberalism is a disease that attacks one's ability to understand logic. Extreme manifestations include the willingness to continue down a path of self destruction, based solely on a delusional belief in a failed ideology."

moparstuart

Quote from: PocketThunder on February 03, 2009, 10:50:21 AM
Does anyone know if there will be the Disney movie "Cars" cars on display at this event?  I will be bringing my 4 year old son and he would enjoy seeing that..
I'll bring the convertible "KING"   :smilielol: :smilielol:
GO SELL CRAZY SOMEWHERE ELSE WE ARE ALL STOCKED UP HERE

pettybird

I have to get off my ass and post the pics from the Rolex...someone mocked up a full size Doc Hudson and it was awesome.

CornDogsCharger

I still plan on attending this event.  This will be my very first wing car event.... so I am totally lost on exactly what will be going on.  What will happen all weekend?  The one lap on the track...... will this be just before the race?  Where will all of the wing cars sit during the race?  Just any information would be great.  I can't wait.

Justin
"CornDog"
1966 Dodge Charger
1969 Dodge Charger (DMCL Project)
1969 Dodge Charger (WB General Lee "GL#004")
1969 Dodge Super Bee

pettybird

Quote from: CornDogsCharger on February 06, 2009, 10:20:09 PM
I still plan on attending this event.  This will be my very first wing car event.... so I am totally lost on exactly what will be going on.  What will happen all weekend?  The one lap on the track...... will this be just before the race?  Where will all of the wing cars sit during the race?  Just any information would be great.  I can't wait.

Justin
"CornDog"

freakin' cars everywhere.

food

more cars

the track

repeat

don't sweat the details--it's the coolest wing show on the planet.

Aero426

Here's an updated event schedule of what's going on. 

The dates are October 28th through November 1st.     The event base is in Alexander City Alabama, about an hour south of the Talladega race track.    Tim and Pam Wellborn will be our hosts.   

Wednesday – October 28th – Arrival day

Thursday – October 29th – The event formally kicks off in the afternoon at Russwood, the home of Tim and Pam Wellborn.    Cars will be gathered around the house and grounds for a relaxing day of camaraderie as in 2004.     A picnic style dinner will be served.    This was the highlight of the 2004 event and is the photo shown below.   The house is a replica of Mount Vernon built in 1936 by the founders of Russell Athletic.   It had fallen into disrepair and has been beautifully restored by Tim and Pam. 

Friday – October 30th -  We will gather mid-morning at the Wellborn Museum with special guest Dennis Gage of "My Classic Car".  Tim has refurbished an older car dealership into a 1970 Chrysler dealership.  If you were there in 2004, this is the building next to the Sonic drive in.    We will display the cars all around the building.      For the ladies, there will be a shopping expedition.   Noted artists David Snyder and Michael Irvine will also be at the event.

Saturday – October 31st – We will shift gears to the International Motorsports Hall of Fame at Talladega. 
Cars will display outside the museum and we will take the panoramic photo as in years past.     
Event guests and drivers roundtable in the museum.
Return to Alexander City in the evening.

Sunday – November 1st -  Parade Lap before the Amp Energy Talladega 500 Sprint Cup race.

Hotel info will be forthcoming and will be based in Alexander City.    There is a brand new hotel opening up, but as I write you today on February 7th, their staff is not in place yet.  So hold tight on reservations.   There will be plenty of rooms in the area.   I will be sending out a special notice on hotels to you as soon as I receive it. 

Race Tickets:  there will once again be a special block of race tickets available on the backstretch where we were in 2004.   Info from the track is forthcoming.   

hemi68charger

Troy
'69 Charger Daytona 440 auto 4.10 Dana ( now 426 HEMI )
'70 Superbird 426 Hemi auto: Lindsley Bonneville Salt Flat world record holder (220.2mph)
Houston Mopar Club Connection

Aero426

A couple more to whet your whistle...

Aero426

One More...

Aero426

This is from Saturday at the track museum.

hergfest

Can't wait!  I've never been to a Nascar race before, would have been nice if the long rumored track in the NW would get built.  Getting an alignment done on my 500 today then it should be about ready to go, just need to get some miles on it.  Will be doing a test run to Mopars at the Strip or Spring Fling in Van Nuys this Spring.  Will I get long distance?

nitrometal

Thanks for the updates Doug.  I can't wait.  :drool5:   Now I have to figure out if I'll drive in or trailer it.  :scratchchin:
I love the smell of nitro in the morning.

http://pettysuperbird.com

Aero426

Quote from: hergfest on February 12, 2009, 01:08:09 PM
Can't wait!  I've never been to a Nascar race before, would have been nice if the long rumored track in the NW would get built.  Getting an alignment done on my 500 today then it should be about ready to go, just need to get some miles on it.  Will be doing a test run to Mopars at the Strip or Spring Fling in Van Nuys this Spring.  Will I get long distance?

Hi Gary, there are always some cars from the Pacific NW coming.    Maybe you can convoy...

dfan

dfan

street legal

69_500

Looks like a really nice ride. Nice set up too with it being a HEMI with those nice highway gears. Would make for a sweet ride to just cruise down the interstate. I'm hoping to get the set of 2.76 gears into my C500 before Talladega. Was hoping to do it before winter last year, but seems that everytime I make plans to work on my own car something comes up.

dfan

Thanks for the compliment 69_500, The car is fun to drive--the truck drivers almost crash when I pass them on the Interstate.

moparstuart

did that car go on the hot rod power tour like 10 years ago ??????

dfan

Yes it did--but I wasn't driving it . I don't know what motor was in it then--it had a 440-6pack when I got it--  I put the hemi and alot of other work in it since then. :yesnod: :yesnod: :yesnod:

moparstuart

it was a 440 , not sure about the six pac they had pictures of the flattened nose they had hammered back out , the metal work on that nose was incredible .  they dug the nose cone out of the mud and leafs a real one .

dfan

Stuart here is a little know fact about going 170+ mph in a daytona--somewhere above 160 the passenger side wiper arm blew completely off and the rear tires started smoking due to the down force of the wing and the tires are 10 in. wide which does NOT clear the top of the inner rear fender. I pins through the wiper arms/shaft and air shocks on th axle.

moparstuart

Quote from: dfan on March 13, 2009, 10:44:23 AM
Stuart here is a little know fact about going 170+ mph in a daytona--somewhere above 160 the passenger side wiper arm blew completely off and the rear tires started smoking due to the down force of the wing and the tires are 10 in. wide which does NOT clear the top of the inner rear fender. I pins through the wiper arms/shaft and air shocks on th axle.
sound like great fun   :smilielol: :smilielol: :smilielol: :smilielol: :smilielol:

hergfest

I am friends with the guys that come down from the NW, I really regret not going 5 years ago.  Right now it looks like my 500 SE and Garry Keay's six pack Bird are the only ones making the trip from the NW this time.  Should be four of us, two in each car.

69_500

How is the 500 SE running now? Did you swap out the crate engine to something more streetable?

pettybird

Quote from: dfan on March 13, 2009, 10:44:23 AM

Hey dfan what brand are your wheels, and where are your center caps from?  I want to update Marty...