News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

What did you find restoring your car?

Started by mustanghater, October 13, 2005, 04:21:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

JimShine

Some states gave you two of those when you registered your car, in some areas they sent you these in the mail after registration. Veterans made them and they matched your plates. If you lost your keys, they were dropped in the mailbox and sent to a place in Ohio that looked you up by your plate number and returned them to you at the address of registration. Not sure when it ended, but I don't think it made it through the 70's. Most little plates I see in junk stores around here date from the 50's-60's. I have yet to find a matched set of plates and key tag plates. It would be cool to find some '68s for my Charger.

ChgrSteve67

A string of 5 Condoms still wraped and connected together under the ash tray between he rear seats. How they got there I'll never know and don't want to know.
An old Coke key chain.
2 of the three chrome heater fan and heater control knobs.
A bunch of missing and finger tight screws / bolts.

During my engine rebuild my uncle kept saying "Your not going to believe this"
I kept telling him that nothing suprises me about my car anymore.

The people that I saved my Charger from definately were not car people or mechanics.

CaptMarvel

The usual grime covered dimes from 1974 & oh, about a 3 inch corner of my build sheet under the rear carpet of my 68 R/T. The rest had returned to the environment from whence it came, being under passengers feet for 35 yrs or so...Several rusted out tools (pliers, gear puller, torque wrench etc.) in the trunk...

HeavyFuel

Quote from: ChargerBill on October 18, 2005, 04:30:23 PM
Quote from: HeavyFuel on October 17, 2005, 11:04:53 PM
This was it.   Don't ask me what those triangle things are, I don't know.   But they were under the carpeting.

HeavyFuel, where did you get the license plate key ring? I want one....

That is pure vintage late sixties, baby!  I think that some insurance companies sent them out as promos with your insurance notices, with your actual license number on the little tag.  The tag has a statement on the back about if the keys are found, drop them in the nearest mailbox, postage guaranteed.  How the post office found the rightfull owner of the lost keys after that is beyond me.

And like I mentioned before, it was wired to the radiator support for about 30 years.  I just got lucky, have fun finding one now.

The Mad Scientist

Working on project cars I have found; four and a half mice, a couple of dollars in actual silver coins (pre 65), a farm jack, a family of raccoons living in a trunk, a nixon now button, a couple of fragments of build sheets, a fountain drink cup that I place somewhere in the mid 80's, a bag of charcoal, a chamois, a doughnut spare (in a car that doesn't take one), some old A&W drive in menus and trays, car magazines from the 60's, and other stuff that I can't remember.

Working on customer cars in shops I've seen/found/been told of...   Hidden canibus shoved in the vcr of a conversion van (they brought it in because the vcr quit working), a tampon stuck in the cage of a blower motor, a nasty looking stripper's work clothes (sequin thong and pasties), a dildo(sitting on the back seat), a tazer (rattling around in the door compartment), nude pictures (laying on the passanger side seat, and another time I found some pinned to the headliner), Hillary Duff CD's cranked loud as can be in a "macho steriod ridden tough guy's" truck, and a couple of throwing knives. 

That's all I can remember.

4402tuff4u

"Mother should I trust the government?........... Pink Floyd "Mother"

JimShine

Quote from: HeavyFuel on October 18, 2005, 10:48:35 PM
Quote from: ChargerBill on October 18, 2005, 04:30:23 PM
Quote from: HeavyFuel on October 17, 2005, 11:04:53 PM
This was it.   Don't ask me what those triangle things are, I don't know.   But they were under the carpeting.

HeavyFuel, where did you get the license plate key ring? I want one....

That is pure vintage late sixties, baby!   I think that some insurance companies sent them out as promos with your insurance notices, with your actual license number on the little tag.   The tag has a statement on the back about if the keys are found, drop them in the nearest mailbox, postage guaranteed.   How the post office found the rightfull owner of the lost keys after that is beyond me.

And like I mentioned before, it was wired to the radiator support for about 30 years.   I just got lucky, have fun finding one now.

Nah, it had something to do with the Veterans. If they were insurance promos, nobody up here would have had them.

I did find a site on them:
http://www.keychaintags.com/

HeavyFuel

Hey Jim, right you are.  I took another look at it and it did say Disabled American Veterans on the back.