News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Rolling Thunder's Charger Restoration Thread *PICS* *UPDATE!*

Started by Rolling_Thunder, May 21, 2008, 02:37:39 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Charger-Bodie

Quote from: mikepmcs on January 24, 2009, 06:25:20 AM
Alex,
We are following, no doubt.  I just don't have anything valid to input.  Keep them pictures and progress reports coming brother. :2thumbs: :2thumbs:

Mike

Im with Mike on this on.....uncharted territory for me.

Youre Charger is looking bad a$$ though so keep the pictures "Rolling"
68 Charger R/t white with black v/t and red tailstripe. 440 4 speed ,black interior
68 383 auto with a/c and power windows. Now 440 4 speed jj1 gold black interior .
My Charger is a hybrid car, it burns gas and rubber............

Rolling_Thunder

Engine on the K-member

K member on the stand

Had to clearance ding my new TTI Headers...     

Lift the nose of the car

Everything ready to go - including transmission

Almost all the way down

Front view of the engine installed

View from the top

With the hood closed - you'll never know until the hood is opened.
1968 Dodge Charger - 6.1L Hemi / 6-speed / 3.55 Sure Grip

2013 Dodge Challenger R/T - 5.7L Hemi / 6-speed / 3.73 Limited Slip

1964 Dodge Polara 500 - 440 / 4-speed / 3.91 Sure Grip

1973 Dodge Challenger Rallye - 340 / A-518 / 3.23 Sure Grip

WingCharger

Quote from: Rolling_Thunder on January 24, 2009, 05:41:37 PM
Engine on the K-member

K member on the stand

Had to clearance ding my new TTI Headers...     

Lift the nose of the car

Everything ready to go - including transmission

Almost all the way down

Front view of the engine installed

View from the top

With the hood closed - you'll never know until the hood is opened.

OH...MY...GOD!!! THAT IS.........BEAUTIFUL!!! :cryin: :cryin: :cryin: :cryin: :cryin:

moparstuart

GO SELL CRAZY SOMEWHERE ELSE WE ARE ALL STOCKED UP HERE

Rolling_Thunder

Well - some more little progress with the Charger today - I managed to install all the window regulators and the driver and passenger side windows including the vent window...     also ordered all the door gaskets, roof gaskets, and 1/4 glass sealing strips...     

Next week I will order my vintage air kit so I can have it installed - then the front and rear glass...   

bakerhillpins

Ok noob question here:  :slap:

That clearance "ding" looks more like a clearance dent!  ;D I would think that it would screw with exhaust flow - the back pressure for that cylinder? Or sumpin anyhow?  :shruggy:

Looks good!  :2thumbs:

Bryan
One great wife (Life is good)
14 RAM 1500 5.7 Hemi Crew Cab (crap hauler)
69 Dodge Charger R/T, Q5, C6X, V1X, V88  (Life is WAY better)
96' VFR750 (Sweet)
Capt. Lyme Vol. Fire

"Inspiration is for amateurs - the rest of us just show up and get to work." -Chuck Close
"The difference between stupidity and genius is that genius has its limits." -Albert Einstein
Go that way, really fast. If something gets in your way, turn.
Science flies you to the moon, Religion flies you into buildings.

PocketThunder

"Liberalism is a disease that attacks one's ability to understand logic. Extreme manifestations include the willingness to continue down a path of self destruction, based solely on a delusional belief in a failed ideology."

Rolling_Thunder

Quote from: bakerhillpins on February 06, 2009, 11:27:21 AM
That clearance "ding" looks more like a clearance dent!  ;D I would think that it would screw with exhaust flow - the back pressure for that cylinder? Or sumpin anyhow?  :shruggy:

NOOOOB!   Nah man - just teasing ya a bit - yes the "ding" will effect exhaust backpressure and flow - however the "dent" is not as deep as it looks..   honestly - the backpressure added will be so miniscule that it will not effect performance....

PocketThunder - I'll put oil in it when I can afford to...     :rofl:

Got the 4-speed pedals cleaned up...

Rolling_Thunder

UPDATE: My Stainless Steel Brake line set came today...    My weatherstripping and gasket set came yesterday so this weekend should be productive...   as soon as my A/C assembly comes in I will be installing the windshield and dash frame...    this will result in my ability to completely install the interior...    after that the only major thing will be left will be the electrical   :2thumbs:   It seems getting this thing on the Road by Summer is an actual possibility...     :D

keepat

Rolling_Thunder

Quote from: keepat on February 18, 2009, 04:34:47 PM
Dude! Great job! What wheels are you going with?
Pat

Well I am keeping small disc brakes for now...   bot for $$$ and simplicity reasons...        I will keep the old mag 500's on her for now....     down the road I will be purchasing 18" billet rims from somewhere....   not exactly sure what design yet...      this way i'll be able to swap between stock-ish wheels and bling wheels without fear of brake interference - that way when i hit the strip I can use some 15" slicks and all that jazz...     

Unsure of running my hydroboost honestly...   I like the manual brake feel but figure the added assist would make for a nicer cruiser...       opinions?   

The 6.1L weighs about what an aluminum headed small block i figure...      figure the .96" would be nice set of T-bars.

keepat

I have and like my manual brakes, no booster but I have 6 piston 13" rotors up front and 12" 4 piston on the back and at over 120mph in the 1/4 I was able slow down for the 1st exit to the return road
Pat

Finn

Quote from: Rolling_Thunder on February 18, 2009, 04:14:04 PM
UPDATE: My Stainless Steel Brake line set came today...    My weatherstripping and gasket set came yesterday so this weekend should be productive...   as soon as my A/C assembly comes in I will be installing the windshield and dash frame...    this will result in my ability to completely install the interior...    after that the only major thing will be left will be the electrical   :2thumbs:   It seems getting this thing on the Road by Summer is an actual possibility...     :D

Where did you get the weatherstripping/gasket kits from?
Im at that point in the project too lol.
:cheers:
1968 Dodge Charger 440, EFI, AirRide suspension
1970 Dodge Challenger RT/SE 383 magnum
1963 Plymouth Savoy 225 with a 3 on the tree.
2002 Dodge Ram 5.9L 360
2014 Dodge Dart 2.4L

Rolling_Thunder

I got them off of e-bay actually....

the gasket set came with:

Upper door seals (along drip rails)
Door gaskets (Go around the door itself
Quarter window sealing strips (go in metal along rear edge of door glass)
Trunk Weatherstripping
The Quarter glass moulded pieces (fo inside door jamb with 4 screws)

Total with shipping was just shy of $200.00 -

I got my brake lines off of E-bay as well...  $199.99 shipped to my door - complete Stainless Line set...    they even offered to cut and flare for my aftermarket proportioning valve an no extra cost (Fine Lines) - Great guys to deal with!

chargerrt

:o  Whew!  It's coming along beautifully!  I'm jealous  :drool5:

Rolling_Thunder

Quote from: chargerrt on February 18, 2009, 08:42:53 PM
:o  Whew!  It's coming along beautifully!  I'm jealous  :drool5:

Don't be...  you can drive yours     :rofl:

Charger-Bodie

Forward Motion Alex!! Keep it up!!

Its looking great by the way!!
68 Charger R/t white with black v/t and red tailstripe. 440 4 speed ,black interior
68 383 auto with a/c and power windows. Now 440 4 speed jj1 gold black interior .

RallyeMike

QuoteGot the 4-speed pedals cleaned up...

Don't forget to upgrade them to 5-speed pedals :icon_smile_big:

Looking good.
1969 Charger 500 #232008
1972 Charger, Grand Sport #41
1973 Charger "T/A"

Drive as fast as you want to on a public road! Click here for info: http://www.sscc.us/

Rolling_Thunder

Quote from: RallyeMike on February 18, 2009, 10:30:23 PM
Don't forget to upgrade them to 5-speed pedals :icon_smile_big:

:rofl:  nice Mike - nice...       i forgot that step...   what ever will I do !?!??!     :scratchchin:

Rolling_Thunder

another update: today I got all the new brake lines installed except for the master cylinder lines...   I will have to bend some up as I am going to run a hydraboost - stock lines exit on the engine side...     no bueno...     

Also - today my torsion bars showed up from Manicotti Dodge...   excellent company - they are the only MP dealer I know of that did not raise prices on torsion bars at the beginning of 2008. $180.00 a set for .96" bars instead of the $299.95 most dealers charge now.

Anyway - got the torsion bars installed along with the drive-shaft...     slipped the wheels on just to clear up some space in the garage...     its nice that it semi-looks like a car again...       Waiting on my Vintage Air box - once that is installed I can put in the dash frame - then the front and rear glass...    - once those are installed the interior can begin going in...     along with the wiring...   I am pretty much dreading the wiring aspect...    I am going to go with a painless harness and a factory EMS computer and harness to control the Hemi...   

turns out Dodge in their infinite wisdom changed the Hemi EMS pin outs along the past couple years...   threw a small wrench in my plans -

I know how you guys are with Pics - So I will be uploading more as I go...   so no worries there....

The plan for tomarrow is to route my fuel line and get the exhaust installed under the car...       My biggest hurdle is going to be the fuel system...    I know there are many options out there but I do not feel like spending $800+ on one...     I'll be mounting my Aeromotive A1000 in my stock tank it looks like...   I already have the tank and the pump / filters / and AN line...    it would be nice to make all this stuff work together -

The interior is going to be roughly stock appearing for now - money is running out...    the brake system is also staying put (4 wheel SSBC discs) for now...   I am actively working on a 14" front brake system for the fron and a Rear 13" rotor / parking brake system for the rear...      I just cant shovel out the $$$ for the parts plus new 18" wheels and tires...     

Rolling_Thunder

Today I installed my new 1/4 window seals as well as installed the door handle rods with new retaining clips...      Now I can actually use my doors!  What a concept...     

I also managed to get a nice cut on my foot for my trouble while cleaning up my garage today...      :brickwall:

Tomorrow's plan is to get the exhaust bolted up under the car and continue cleaning my garage...     Possibly get my roof rail weatherstrippings in as well...       

Charger-Bodie