News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

quick question about crankshaft

Started by superbee1, May 24, 2008, 11:21:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

superbee1

I have just started putting my 440 back together. I have installed the crank, cam, timing chain and pistons. How hard should it be to turn the crank with a breaker bar? When i use the breaker bar to roate the crank the presure needed to spin it reamins constant, just not sure how hard it should be.

firefighter3931

With the heads off it should rotate with 20-25 ftlbs of torque.  ;)

Ron
68 Charger R/T "Black Pig" Street/Strip bruiser, 70 Charger R/T 440-6bbl Cruiser. Firecore ignition  authorized dealer ; contact me with your needs

superbee1

just checked it with the torque wrench and it looks like it takes around 40 ft/lbs to turn. should i be worried since the pistons and rings are new?

Challenger340

Rotational Drag on a freshly rebuilt engine is dependant upon many factors, Honing, Brg. Clrc., Lubricants, surfacer areas, Pressures, basically, all oppositional frictions associated with what has been machined.

Ron is correct in a "ballpark" figure of the 20-25 ft/lbs for a new performance style rebuild.

You, as the final assembler of the parts, have a responsibility to ensure all machining that has been performed to specifications, and more importantly, to your satisfaction.

As Stated, many factors can affect Drag.

Some questions;
What type of rings did you install, Cast, Moly, or 1/16: Dbl Moly ?
What Bore finish are they installed upon, 220, 280 or 400 ?
What Bearing Clearances did you find on the Mains ?    Rods ?
What lubricant did you use on the Rings / Cylinders ?
What Lubricant did you use on the Bearings ?

If this is NOT a "new" machined Pkg., did you clean the carbon from the Ring Lands on the Pistons, BEFORE installing the new Rings ?

Bob out.

Only wimps wear Bowties !

superbee1

Here are the rings i used:

http://store.summitracing.com/partdetail.asp?autofilter=1&part=SLP%2DE%2D424K030&N=700+0&autoview=sku

Clearances are to spec,., ex. .009 for rod clearance.
I used assembly lube on all bearing surfaces and based upon the suggestion from Don  Taylors book dipped each piston in oil before installing.
I did not put assembly lube in the cylinders just coated them with oil.

Sorry to sound so stupid, this is my first rebuild.

firefighter3931

Superbee ; what were the piston to wall clearances ? What pistons ? Main clearance ? Rod clearance ? Is the cam installed yet ?

The .009 number you quoted can't be right....it would be good to know the exact clearances.  ;)

Bob, brings up some good points. I tend to set them up a little looser than most to allow for thermal expansion....this is why the 20-25 ftlb number is what i am used to seeing.  :yesnod:

Ron
68 Charger R/T "Black Pig" Street/Strip bruiser, 70 Charger R/T 440-6bbl Cruiser. Firecore ignition  authorized dealer ; contact me with your needs

john108

I seem to remember Mally69 discussing an issue with having to touch-up the center main cap/thrust bearing area because of a tight crank.
John

superbee1

i am using speed pro 2266 flat tops 30 over. what should my clearance numbers be? The cam is installed along with the timing chain. I removed the main caps and turned it buy hand without them in place and still around the 40-50 ftlb range.

firefighter3931

Quote from: superbee1 on May 26, 2008, 07:57:15 AM
i am using speed pro 2266 flat tops 30 over. what should my clearance numbers be? The cam is installed along with the timing chain. I removed the main caps and turned it buy hand without them in place and still around the 40-50 ftlb range.

The cam will make it more difficult to turn over....increased drag. Did the cam slide in or did you have to push it in ? Can you freely rotate the cam by hand ? New cam bearings ? Sometimes the cam bearings need to be clearanced with a scraper  :yesnod:

The piston to wall clearance with a forged piston is supposed to be .001 for every inch of bore diameter so if your's is .005 that would be fine.

Main and rod bearing clearances should be .002 (min) but i like them at .0025

Ron

superbee1

cam turned fine by itself very smooth and free. I've checked piston to wall clearance and that seems to be actually a little more than.005 so that appears fine as well. I am stumped. :shruggy:

firefighter3931

Quote from: superbee1 on May 26, 2008, 04:10:49 PM
cam turned fine by itself very smooth and free. I've checked piston to wall clearance and that seems to be actually a little more than.005 so that appears fine as well. I am stumped. :shruggy:

What was your crank end play ?   :scratchchin:

Ron

superbee1

can't remember what the end play was. i do remember it was very very very small.

firefighter3931

Quote from: superbee1 on May 26, 2008, 09:33:50 PM
can't remember what the end play was. i do remember it was very very very small.

How small  :scratchchin:

It should be in the .008-.017 range  :yesnod:

You never did give the rod & main bearing clearances. What about the rod side clearances ?

Ron

superbee1

end play is within that range. as for the rods it seems to change. it will be .009 between rods and less but still clear between rods and bearings then after a rotation the clearances change. the rod ends are bolted to specs. i am starting to think about just tearing it back down. :brickwall:

firefighter3931

Quote from: superbee1 on May 27, 2008, 01:23:47 AM
end play is within that range. as for the rods it seems to change. it will be .009 between rods and less but still clear between rods and bearings then after a rotation the clearances change. the rod ends are bolted to specs. i am starting to think about just tearing it back down. :brickwall:

Your rod side clearance is too tight. What crank & rods are you using ?

Ron

superbee1

i am using the factory rods and crank. what should the clearances be between each rod and between rod and crank?

superbee1

ok here is the latest. i went ahead and pulled the pistons. the crank and cam turn just as easy and smooth without the pistons. when i was taking the pistons out i noticed that some of the rod bearings were scored pretty badly (thank goodness the crank is undamaged). what could cause this scoring by just hand cranking? they were lubed with assembly grease and everything. :brickwall:

What the heck do i do now?

firefighter3931

Quote from: superbee1 on May 27, 2008, 06:51:41 PM
ok here is the latest. i went ahead and pulled the pistons. the crank and cam turn just as easy and smooth without the pistons. when i was taking the pistons out i noticed that some of the rod bearings were scored pretty badly (thank goodness the crank is undamaged). what could cause this scoring by just hand cranking? they were lubed with assembly grease and everything. :brickwall:

What the heck do i do now?

Ok you need do describe in detail exactly what was done to the crank and rods during the rebuild :

crank turned...if so how much ?

Rods resized ? reconditioned ?

You still haven't stated what the main and rod bearing clearances were and how they were checked ?

There is something definately wrong if the bearings are scored from just hand rotation. It's a good thing you pulled it down !

Ron

superbee1

the crank was turned 10 under. the rods were just cleaned up and checked for truness they were not resized. since the pistons are out i guess the rod to main clearance is a moot point now. after looking at the rank it looks like there are some raised nicks on the crank that weren't noticed beforehand. the spoots on the crank line up exatly where the score lines are on the rod bearing.

firefighter3931

Quote from: superbee1 on May 27, 2008, 09:47:22 PM
the rods were just cleaned up and checked for truness they were not resized.

Did you install new rod bolts ? It's allways a good idea to upgrade the rod hardware, recondition and resize.

Quote from: superbee1 on May 27, 2008, 09:47:22 PM
since the pistons are out i guess the rod to main clearance is a moot point now.

It may be a moot point but the assembled clearances might give you some insight into the problem at hand. If they were too tight this was a problem.

Obviously the crank wasn't prepped properly as evidenced by the scoring on the bearings.  :icon_smile_blackeye:

Ron

superbee1

Ron,
could you tell me what the clearances should be

firefighter3931

Quote from: superbee1 on May 28, 2008, 07:58:42 AM
Ron,
could you tell me what the clearances should be

Well, the factory specs call for ;

Mains .0005-.0015
Rods .0007-.0020

I like them at .0025 on the mains and rods for a hot street/performance build   :Twocents:

Ron

superbee1

just dropped off the crank at the shop they are going to polish out the burrs. hard to believe thigs that small can cut bearings like that. just to make sure i understand right, there should be .0025between rods and mains and .0025 between rods?

firefighter3931

Quote from: superbee1 on May 28, 2008, 10:52:55 AM
just dropped off the crank at the shop they are going to polish out the burrs. hard to believe thigs that small can cut bearings like that. just to make sure i understand right, there should be .0025between rods and mains and .0025 between rods?

Nope, rod bearing and main bearing clearances should be .025....that is the clearance between the bearing and the rod & main journals.

The rod side clearance should be at least .017....if you can't stick a .017 feeler guage between the rods when installed in the engine....it's too tight.

Ron

superbee1

thnaks for all your help with this ron. i should get the crank back any day. i will let you know hoa it goes.