News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

22 inch on a Charger 68

Started by Birkholm, June 14, 2008, 04:21:06 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

0X01B8

Like I said, it's the trend, but .... Where do you stop?  Don't make me post a picture of a Impala with like, 50" rims .... :P

Really, let's talk reality & function - it's harder than hell to find 295/50/15s anymore, so if you want some fatties, what can you get in a 16?  Mainly truck tires.  Next up is 17 and there are a ton of good choices in tires, but now we're treading (no pun intended) into the "kill me, kill me" punishment of feeling every bump and imperfection in the road, but if that doesn't bother you, no big deal.  Maybe you need 18s to clear some big rotors and calipers, so fine.  There's plenty of members with the 18/17 combo and if done well, it looks killer. (keepat, mr angry, etc)

Just my  :Twocents: But you will get sick of the giant rims eventually and get about 20 cents on the $ when you try and dump them later.  This whole big wheel trend reminds me of Flavor Flav and his clock necklace.  He upgrades about every year. I figure in about 5-10 years he won't even be able to walk around cause his clock is gonna be about 2 feet wide, weigh 100 pounds and his neck will snap off some day, hopefully on camera.  But don't pay too much attention to me, I'm grumpy today.   :2thumbs:

-john

Birkholm

why do you guys keep talking about big sidewalls ..

maybe 22 inch is to much, but my only questions was, if it can fit...
I will keep my 20 inch wheels, and don´t go smaller !

hmm.. I been looking at your profiles, and I can see that most of you are 30-45 years old, and maybe that´s why you don´t like the big wheels, because it´s to "new/ trendy".. whatever
(sorry if I sound like an a**hole*)

maybe when I get a little bit older, i can see the cool ind 15 inch with fat sidewalls :)

Danish guy with a 68 Charger...

MSRacing89

Quote from: Birkholm on June 19, 2008, 11:04:51 AM

why do you guys keep talking about big sidewalls ..

maybe 22 inch is to much, but my only questions was, if it can fit...
I will keep my 20 inch wheels, and don´t go smaller !

hmm.. I been looking at your profiles, and I can see that most of you are 30-45 years old, and maybe that´s why you don´t like the big wheels, because it´s to "new/ trendy".. whatever
(sorry if I sound like an a**hole*)

maybe when I get a little bit older, i can see the cool ind 15 inch with fat sidewalls :)

I would stick with 20's max.  I went with 19's in the rear and am happy.  Many more tire choices with 20".  With 22" you are probably looking at some wheel well mods to get her sitting low.  Also you may have to use a SUV/light truck tire to get the look you want.

To all that say big wheels are a trend, that is silly.  They will be around for a long time.  I love the old muscle car look and appreciate that era, but times are a changin'!  When we originally made choice for what is now called, Mr. Angry, not to many people had objections to larger wheels.  I say, build what you like as long as cars are getting worked on by the younger generation, that is all that matters.
http://www.popularhotrodding.com/features/1203phr_1968_dodge_charger/index.html

'68 Charger 440, 11:1, ported Stealth Heads, Lunati voodoo 60304, 3.23 gear, Mulit-port EZ-EFI, Gear Vendors OD and Tallon Hydroboost.

Musicman

Sorry... had too, just couldn't resist  :smilielol: :lol: :smilielol: :eek2: :nana:  :D

Birkholm

Foreman72

nothing like a monster truck huh musicman...but i dont care who you are, that is a gorgeous car :drool5: :drool5:...do to it what you will but i think its smoking right now...but you might run into some hassles with fitting if you go bigger...the trend is big wheels but my limit on muscles is 18 and i'm 17 years old...but as i said, its your car, just know it looks insane right now...can;t wait to see pics of it when its "done"...again... :icon_smile_wink:

Eric "Foreman"

Previous: 1972 Dodge Charger
Current: 2002 Volvo S60

"The steps of a man are ordered by the LORD, and He delights in his way. Though he fall, he shall not be utterly cast down; For the LORD upholds him with His hand.
=Psalm 37:23-24=
"But store up for yourselves treasures in heaven..."
=Matthew 6:19-21=
:pat

Foreman72

whats the price of gas like in Denmark  :flush:
Eric "Foreman"

Previous: 1972 Dodge Charger
Current: 2002 Volvo S60

"The steps of a man are ordered by the LORD, and He delights in his way. Though he fall, he shall not be utterly cast down; For the LORD upholds him with His hand.
=Psalm 37:23-24=
"But store up for yourselves treasures in heaven..."
=Matthew 6:19-21=
:pat

Birkholm

gas price is right now about 11,50 danish crowns..

it´s about 2,5 dollars..

Musicman

Actually, I don't believe it's the rim size that people object to really, just look at some of the caricatures we draw of our cars. I think it's a question of sidewall exposure and proportions. Back in the 60's there were cars that had huge rims and tires on them, and everyone thought it was cool... a little cartoonish maybe, but still pretty cool none-the-less. However, when you take a big rim and rap a rubber band around it, well now it looks like your riding on spokes like an old buggy, or a horse drawn carriage. I believe this is really the argument that most of the older generation guys have with the larger rims. Lets face it, a Model-T looks a lot cooler with a good set of wide tires and rims. It's not the rim size itself, it's just a question of how much rubber you can get on there and still get it to fit in the hole. Of course you can go the other way too... to small of rim and to much rubber... it's all a question of artistic proportions. The design of the car is an important factor as well... can you imagine 14" rims and tires on the new Chally  :eek2:  the design of the car won't allow it. It was purposely designed with large rims in mind.
Bottom line... it's your car and you should not care what other people think. Do whatever makes you happy... It's OK to ask for suggestions and opinions, but in the end it's an individual decision.

:cheers:

Nacho-RT74

Quote from: Birkholm on June 22, 2008, 07:03:13 AM
gas price is right now about 11,50 danish crowns..

it´s about 2,5 dollars..

I guess by liter
Venezuelan RT 74 400 4bbl, 727, 8.75 3.23 open. Now stroked with 440 crank and 3.55 SG. Here is the History and how is actually: http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,7603.0/all.html
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,25060.0.html

viper r/t

Guess I should chime in here haha

My '69 with foose 22's on the rear and 20's on the front.
Most likely they will find a new home in a few days, but I admit they have grown on me alot lol
Keep in mind i'm 17 so ya know I'm gonna like 'em a little  ;)   :icon_smile_blackeye:

devilgear

Wow what a great look and stance. Don't change anything it looks awesome. I like the 22's on the back with something a little smaller in front. Great job!!!

1974dodgecharger

does everyone still think they are too big for the folks that said they were i  2008?

bill440rt

Quote from: 1974dodgecharger on August 29, 2013, 09:20:49 PM
does everyone still think they are too big for the folks that said they were i  2008?

Too big for my tastes.
But if he likes them that's all that matters.
"Strive for perfection in everything. Take the best that exists and make it better. If it doesn't exist, create it. Accept nothing nearly right or good enough." Sir Henry Rolls Royce

myk

Quote from: Musicman on June 22, 2008, 08:59:56 AM
Actually, I don't believe it's the rim size that people object to really, just look at some of the caricatures we draw of our cars. I think it's a question of sidewall exposure and proportions. Back in the 60's there were cars that had huge rims and tires on them, and everyone thought it was cool... a little cartoonish maybe, but still pretty cool none-the-less. However, when you take a big rim and rap a rubber band around it, well now it looks like your riding on spokes like an old buggy, or a horse drawn carriage. I believe this is really the argument that most of the older generation guys have with the larger rims. Lets face it, a Model-T looks a lot cooler with a good set of wide tires and rims. It's not the rim size itself, it's just a question of how much rubber you can get on there and still get it to fit in the hole. Of course you can go the other way too... to small of rim and to much rubber... it's all a question of artistic proportions. The design of the car is an important factor as well... can you imagine 14" rims and tires on the new Chally  :eek2:  the design of the car won't allow it. It was purposely designed with large rims in mind.
Bottom line... it's your car and you should not care what other people think. Do whatever makes you happy... It's OK to ask for suggestions and opinions, but in the end it's an individual decision.

I would say that some of the ire towards big rims and rubber band tires is the "performance" aspect of it.  People who are serious about the performance of their cars, the ability to turn and burn, won't run a giant sized wheel with a rubber band tire on it.  To many the big rim/rubber band look is akin to stickers, fart cans and triple-decker spoilers; in other words it doesn't represent performance, rather image, and to many that's just unacceptable.  Additionally, the look has nothing to do with age-there're plenty of 30,40 something guys rolling on donk'ed out rubber band tire'd cars...
"imgur-embed-pub" lang="en" data-id="a/mB3ii4B"><a href="//imgur.com/a/mB3ii4B"></a></blockquote><script async src="//s.imgur.com/min/embed.js"

surmanajaja

yup they still look ugly and always will. i have seen one or two 68-70 chargers with 20´s at the rear that didnt look horrible,. but i would probably stay at 17-19 wheels..

bull

I would never put wheels on my Charger that are as big as my radiator. Nothing against viper r/t up there but that looks all wrong to me. 18" is as big as I'd ever go, and I don't even see that happening.

1974dodgecharger

I have 20s for the rear and 18s in front...i. Like the OP car but the 22s thats out of my league...

Cooter

Trying to hard....way too hard imo.
" I have spent thousands of dollars and countless hours researching what works and what doesn't and I'm willing to share"

1974dodgecharger

Quote from: Cooter on August 30, 2013, 06:32:37 PM
Trying to hard....way too hard imo.

As they say pimpin ain't easy......

MaximRecoil

Quote from: Musicman on June 22, 2008, 08:59:56 AM

can you imagine 14" rims and tires on the new Chally  :eek2:  the design of the car won't allow it. It was purposely designed with large rims in mind.

I can imagine it, and it would look a lot better (and 15" wheels would look the best). How do you design a car with large wheels in mind, when the tire diameter is what affects size considerations of the wheel wells, and the tire diameter for these oversized wheels hasn't really changed? For example, I have 235/70R15s on my '69 Charger, which have a diameter of 28". The 2013 Challenger R/T has 235/55R18s, which have a diameter of 28.2". Either tire size will fill the wheel wells by about the same amount, but the 15" wheels don't suffer from the "too much wheel, not enough tire" syndrome; they are visually more balanced.

Now, you may prefer the look of those cartoon wheels on top, but there is nothing about the car's aesthetics that demands them.

This reminds me of how the Magnum, P.I. Ferrari went from awesome to not so awesome during the course of the series.

Awesome:

Not so awesome:

myk

Gonna have to say that Challenger with the "cartoon" wheels looks awesome.  As for the '308, it's a good looking car either way but I'd take it with the bigger wheels; I can't wait to see the new 18's on my Charger-to each their own...
"imgur-embed-pub" lang="en" data-id="a/mB3ii4B"><a href="//imgur.com/a/mB3ii4B"></a></blockquote><script async src="//s.imgur.com/min/embed.js"

MaximRecoil

Midget sidewalls look weak, pathetic; never a good thing for a structural component in terms of aesthetics; and tires are about as structural as you can get; they are ultimately holding up the entire car. Also, as I mentioned earlier, vertically-challenged sidewalls combined with cartoon wheels are visually unbalanced.

They are also regressive:

Homerr

Ugh, get a Dodge Magnum to put those silly 22's on!

bill440rt

To me, the Ferrari & Challenger with the smaller wheels looks like it's riding on balloons.
On a Charger, personally I do not like wheels over 19", that is the max. It really all depends on style & offset, that plays a big role.

Some people like them, and some don't. And the world keeps spinning...
"Strive for perfection in everything. Take the best that exists and make it better. If it doesn't exist, create it. Accept nothing nearly right or good enough." Sir Henry Rolls Royce