News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

WARNING! DANGER! If you are or will run a flat tappet cam read this!!!

Started by AKcharger, July 03, 2008, 01:24:37 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

brianz426

Hey guys,
Check this out http://www.amsoil.com/storefront/amo.aspx , this has a zinc additive and even mentions that it is recommended for older vehicles. The price isn't too bad at $8.60 per qt. or $8.48 per qt. when you buy a case. Right now I'm still working off my older oil but I just bought some of this for when I'm out of the old stuff. Any comments on this?
Thanks

Musicman

There are a number of good oils still left out there... most of them are racing products however, and therefore pretty $$$....

ACUDANUT

Quote from: Ghoste on November 23, 2009, 06:39:33 PM
50 bucks for 6 quarts or 90 for 12.  Honestly, if it prevents a cam wipe then it's well worth it IMO.
No it's 60.00 for 6 quarts, or 105.00 for 12.  You have to add shipping.  That's 3 times the price for one quart.  :brickwall: :flame:

Ghoste

No it isn't cheap but there isn't much of an alternative.  Whether you run this stuff or the Amsoil or racing oil or regular oil with EOS in it the costs end up fairly close.  I guess I will have to look at it as spending 100 bucks a year for camshaft insurance.  :shruggy: 

dstryr

dstryr, since 1986.

Bill of Rights
Must be 18. Void where prohibited. Not available in all states. Some restrictions apply.

68blue

I have a bunch of old cans of STP that I picked up with some other stuff at an auction. It lists the ZDDP as an ingredient, does anybody know how much?

NorwayCharger

AKA the drummer boy
http://www.pink-division.com

ACUDANUT

Quote from: Ghoste on November 24, 2009, 03:22:44 PM
No it isn't cheap but there isn't much of an alternative.  Whether you run this stuff or the Amsoil or racing oil or regular oil with EOS in it the costs end up fairly close.  I guess I will have to look at it as spending 100 bucks a year for camshaft insurance.  :shruggy: 
Not really. One bottle of Gm's EOS and your regular oil is half the price. :Twocents:

Ghoste

I suppose it depends on what it's costing you for eos and regular oil then.  Personally, I'm still going to go with the new boutique oils for next season.  The overall package they are offering is what cinches the deal for me.

The70RT

Quote from: Ghoste on November 29, 2009, 11:07:47 AM
I suppose it depends on what it's costing you for eos and regular oil then.  Personally, I'm still going to go with the new boutique oils for next season.  The overall package they are offering is what cinches the deal for me.

so what's in this package deal? EOS is like 15.00
<br /><br />Uploaded with ImageShack.us

Ghoste

I'm talking about the additive package in the oil.  The EOS is about double that where I live.

ACUDANUT

Ghost, you need to check around. I get GM's EOS for 15.00 a pint at the dealership  :shruggy:

Ghoste

I have checked around but one guy now has the lock on GM dealerships in this area (a largely rural area, GM began closing small dealerships here long before Obama and his car czars began to mandate it).  In any case even at the 15 dollar mark I've still decided to run with the boutique oils.  It's close to my limit so if the price difference were to get any greater I would revisit the decision but for now that is the direction I am going.

Back N Black

Quote from: The70RT on November 29, 2009, 12:21:31 PM
Quote from: Ghoste on November 29, 2009, 11:07:47 AM

so what's in this package deal? EOS is like 15.00

I pay $ 5.76 for a 500ml bottle of GM EOS at the dealer.

Ghoste

Which probably means the dealer cost everywhere is probably about 3 bucks a bottle.  Nice.

Cooter

Well, there's always Full Roller cam swap that comes in somewhere around $1500.00 for a BB Chrysler......
" I have spent thousands of dollars and countless hours researching what works and what doesn't and I'm willing to share"

375instroke

So is this stuff good?  It doesn't have the newer ratings, so that means it doesn't conform to the lower ZDDP requirements, right?

RD

Quote from: 375instroke on December 01, 2009, 10:37:06 PM
So is this stuff good?  It doesn't have the newer ratings, so that means it doesn't conform to the lower ZDDP requirements, right?

no... the rotella no longer meets the requirements for flat tappet cams... Valvoline racing oil does though.
67 Plymouth Barracuda, 69 Plymouth Barracuda, 73 Charger SE, 75 D100, 80 Sno-Commander

squeakfinder

Does that jug have low emissions written on it? The Delo 400 has Low emissions on it, so it's not any good either.
Still looking for 15x7 Appliance slotted mags.....

375instroke

I'm wondering because it says CF-2, CF/SJ only.  It doesn't say CJ-4/SM.  It doesn't say anything about emissions, either.

FLG

Actually that looks like the older rotella...which was good  :yesnod:

Im sure someone else will chime in.

G-man

Glad I read the information.

Down here (AU) I use Penrite HPR 30 oil. Has 1560 or so ZDDP of zinc in it natrually. No need any additives with that.

The70RT

The older CL rated Rotella has all the anti scuff additives in it. If it has the sunburst logo on it it is the new stuff. It has been a couple years since they did it now. I had fun trying to find it in 07. I found like 12 gallons and bought it all then. Im sure it's all gone now.
<br /><br />Uploaded with ImageShack.us

ACUDANUT

Anyone seen the price of just a regular Qt of oil. 3.99 around here. (Kansas City)  :brickwall:
I remember when it was a Buck.  :flame:

squeakfinder

Quote from: ACUDANUT on December 02, 2009, 10:38:34 PM
Anyone seen the price of just a regular Qt of oil. 3.99 around here. (Kansas City)  :brickwall:
I remember when it was a Buck.  :flame:

I can remember when it was 98 cents  :P .

Sorry, I know that doesn't help. But your wright, it use to be cheaper to buy a quart of 30 wt for chain saw bar oil than to buy actual chain saw oil. Doesn't seem that long ago.
Still looking for 15x7 Appliance slotted mags.....