News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

I know what killed the 440, God I would have nerver thought they F--k this up!

Started by cudaken, October 20, 2005, 03:29:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

AirborneSilva

Quote from: cudaken on October 25, 2005, 07:14:12 PM
Block, crank and pistons have been dropped off at J&J Machine shop. Hee, Hee, Hee, Jack Plamer is a chevy guy at heart. 440 block was in the back of the 91 Daytona, rolled out a small cart and got one of the guys from the shop to help pick it up from the well of the hatch ;D

Pointed out bare block was 250 pound bare. Jack thougt about it for a few seconds then got out the fork lift to pick her up out of the Daytona. All most slide off the fork of the forklift as well. At this point it would have been fine with me. Some owes me a 440 Block ;D

Other guy all most busted a gut when he yanked the crank out. ;)

Local guy from SLAM just E-mailed me as well. Said Jack is a Chevy guy but does good work. So lets hope for the best! ;D

Just thinking out loud and drunk I will add. If I where to list D&D phone number, anyone want to blow them some sh--t? Must have caller ID and won't answer my calls.

Cuda Ken

Damn Ken, misery loves company but I certainly wouldn't wish this crap off on you.  Well I hope that the shop that screwed you over gets theirs in the end.  I will try to PM you a copy of the letter I'm sending my HLPAG (strictly for your viewing pleasure).  Hopefully your new shop can get your baby back on tghe road and hauling butt soon..

cudaken

When I was at J&J Jack showed me something I missed on the crank on number 5. Had two small ruff spots, that why the crank needs to be turned. When D&D had it, Rick said there was some crap on that main and he switched out the main bearing. But it seems they missed the ruff spots on the crank.

Cuda Ken
I am back

AirborneSilva

Damn Ken this just keeps getting better and better (note the sarcasim).  Is there anyway you can go the route I'm having to go, with the AG?  Hopefully you will be compensated for all of these major screw-ups by supposed professionals!

bull

Quote from: cudaken on October 25, 2005, 07:14:12 PM
Block, crank and pistons have been dropped off at J&J Machine shop. Hee, Hee, Hee, Jack Plamer is a chevy guy at heart.
Local guy from SLAM just E-mailed me as well. Said Jack is a Chevy guy but does good work. So lets hope for the best! ;D
Cuda Ken

You know what I think about this? I think you're probably on the right track now. A good machinist who has not worked on Mopar stuff much will probably be a lot more vigilant with the rebuild because he'll be a little nervous. When people get too stuck in a rut they start making mistakes so chances are this guy will check and recheck everything three times as he puts it all together.

Sorry about all your troubles with this project. You're a lot more forgiving and have a helluva lot more patience and fortitude than I do. I'm afraid I'd be renting a big azz dozer to drive over this guy's house if it were me.

Runner

alot of times a "rough" spot on the crank is from a rod bolt hitting it when ithe piston is being pushed into the block and protective caps arnt used.   

71 roadrunner 452 e heads  11.35@119 mph owned sence 1984
72 panther pink satellite sebring plus 383 727
68 satellite 383 4 speed  13.80 @ 102 mph  my daily driver
69 superbee clone 440    daughters car
72 dodge dart swinger slant six

cudaken

Runner, you just opend my eyes! That is why there are two ruff spots on either side. When I drove the pistons out I use 2 rubber hoses on booth rod bolts. Now which dumb f--k did it? Well We will never know.

Bull, sure glad I never talked you into this mess. (we where PMing each other)

But it was sure was pretty before I started it. Ken                                                  
I am back

AirborneSilva

Damn Ken that sure is a perdy looking motor, it almost makes me want to take you up on your offer - well almost  :icon_smile_big:

cudaken

Runner, I was tanked last night when you said you opened my eyes. Was sobler for a while to day, well for a while ;D Ruff spots where on the number 5 Main, not the rod throws.

Yea Tony sure is pretty! Skould have never started the POS. What was the offer I made you? :icon_smile_big:
I am back

AirborneSilva

Yeah Ken you offered to trade me the motor for my Charger... ?

WOW!!!! this is one beautiful paint job ? :o

Silver R/T

Quote from: cudaken on November 04, 2005, 10:14:34 PM
Runner, you just opend my eyes! That is why there are two ruff spots on either side. When I drove the pistons out I use 2 rubber hoses on booth rod bolts. Now which dumb f--k did it? Well We will never know.

Bull, sure glad I never talked you into this mess. (we where PMing each other)

═ ═ ═ ═ ═ ═ ═ ═ ═ ═But it was sure was pretty before I started it. Ken═ ═ ═ ═ ═ ═ ═ ═ ═ ═ ═ ═ ═ ═ ═ ═ ═

so how much did long block cost you to build?
http://www.cardomain.com/id/mitmaks

1968 silver/black/red striped R/T
My Charger is hybrid, it runs on gas and on tears of ricers
2001 Ram 2500 CTD
1993 Mazda MX-3 GS SE
1995 Ford Cobra SVT#2722

cudaken

Opp's. I messed up, the Black Charger is Black and Browns 70 Charger. Posted the wrong PIC but what the heck it pretty as well.

Black and Brown bought it off E-bay, I was bidding aginst him for a while. :icon_smile_approve:

Silver R/T, I started with nothing, no block, heads or crank. Not counting labor to srew up the 440 I have around $6800.00 in parts and machine work in the 440. Pretty penny for 90 miles. Need to look up the recipts to be sure. Then I will hang my self.

Cuda Ken
I am back

AirborneSilva

Quote from: cudaken on November 06, 2005, 10:34:39 AM
Opp's. I messed up, the Black Charger is Black and Browns 70 Charger. Posted the wrong PIC but what the heck it pretty as well.

I thought it was a car you had painted.  Whom ever painted it did a hell of a job  :2thumbs:

cudaken

Tony, here mine that I painted at my old shop. Looks better out side and had not been washed for sometime.

Ken
I am back

AirborneSilva

One word Ken - SWEEEEET  :icon_smile_big: for not having been washed in sometime that sure has a glassy look to it!  Man both the car and engine look awesome, too bad that motor has turned out the way it did, what ET do you think it would have turned with that motor?

cudaken

Tony, all I was hoping for was a 13.0 and not breaking anything. ;D Sounds pretty low right? But that would have been with 2.76 sure gripp, 4000 pounds Charger and everything pretty much stock. Main thing it should have been esay to drive, idle around 800 RPM's and pull hard in any gear.

If, I where to brought the Charger body it self up the 440 level it could have gone say around 11.07. Would have need 3.91 or 4.10's.

Ken
I am back

AirborneSilva

Thems some awful tall gears but with that much power I would think it would turn a better ET then 13, I'm not by any stretch of the imagination an expert on horse power and ET's.  A friend of mine in Hawaii has a program that when you plug in all the particulars, i.e. weight, gears, horse power and such it gives you what your ET should be, I should have either asked him for a copy or at the least asked him what the name of the program is then I could go out and get it fer myself  ;)