News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

XX engine on Craigslist

Started by Charger1970, April 26, 2008, 11:45:36 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

69_500

Seems that the seller is a little upset about people asking why he is wanting to triple his money? Apparently I wasn't informed that all Mopar guys are out to make a buck. I had always though that the large majority of actual Mopar guys/gals were in it for a hobby and the love of the cars, but I guess I've been misinformed for the past 30 years. Seems every true Mopar person I know of would gladly sell things for a lot cheaper if it went to someones car that had an actual use for it. I know I have, and I know that I've bought several things off of others for great deals just because they know I could use something.

hemi68charger

Quote from: RAC95054 on May 06, 2008, 05:25:08 PM
Quote from: 472 R/T SE on May 06, 2008, 03:54:12 PM
Ever wonder why there's more guests lurking here than members?  I can almost guarantee he's watching this thread.  :scratchchin:

(I need her to look more like Dana!).

Ahhh, I'll tell her that..... :)
Troy
'69 Charger Daytona 440 auto 4.10 Dana ( now 426 HEMI )
'70 Superbird 426 Hemi auto: Lindsley Bonneville Salt Flat world record holder (220.2mph)
Houston Mopar Club Connection

Blown70

Quote from: 69_500 on May 10, 2008, 08:38:08 AM
Seems that the seller is a little upset about people asking why he is wanting to triple his money? Apparently I wasn't informed that all Mopar guys are out to make a buck. I had always though that the large majority of actual Mopar guys/gals were in it for a hobby and the love of the cars, but I guess I've been misinformed for the past 30 years. Seems every true Mopar person I know of would gladly sell things for a lot cheaper if it went to someones car that had an actual use for it. I know I have, and I know that I've bought several things off of others for great deals just because they know I could use something.

I have sent parts to people on this board for nothing more than shipping cost, or $5 for a $35 part.  I sold a shifter Byron Fetting $350 I paid $410 for it.  I know if people are going to use them I dont mind helping them out.  Figure some day I may need some help, and hopefully someone else would help me if needed.

:shruggy:

mopar4ever

Hey, if you think about it the only reason the guy with the original car would even want his original engine is to make his car more valuable.  So why is it a bad thing if the guy with the engine makes some money on it?  Both of them have gains if a sale takes place!  Sounds like a win-win situation.

I had a similar thing happen to me, I found out the second owner of my Hemi car had my original broadcast sheet.  It is worthless to anyone but me.  Well, he said I could have it but it would cost me.  And his price was unreasonable.  Over $1000!  I stepped up and paid it and I'm glad I did.  All it did was make my car worth more come the day when I might sell it.

Ghoste

I'm not even opposed to people making money on parts (that's how the free world works after all).  Personally, I find this whole thing offensive because this guy knew the owner of the matching car was looking at it so he slipped in and sniped him for it and then turned around with an obscene markup knowing it was only worth a lot to one person.  If he is into these parts as much as he says, then he already knows he overpaid for the engine in the first place from the point of view of someone who doesn't own the rest of the car.  Then he wants to play the "Christian" card and now he threatens to scrap it since no one else is interested in an overpriced 440 block.
I shouldn't care since none of this has anything to do with me and despite a lot of posts that would show otherwise, I am not really a purist guy.  This one just rankles me though because it's so blatant and opportunistic and wrong.  Certain cars in this HOBBY deserve a special status and homologation specials like the 69 C500 are near the top of that list.   :flame: :flame: :flame: :flame: :flame: :flame: :flame: :RantExplode: :RantExplode: :RantExplode:

Troy

As Ghoste said, it's not like this guy had the engine sitting in his storage shed for the last 35 years and just happened to realize it was worth some money. He outbid the owner of the car and is now holding it for ransom (so to speak). I can see making some money but refusing to sell it even at a price no one else is willing to give is vindictive - not to mention incredibly stupid from a business perspective. If he truly supports his family this way then he needs to sell what he buys in order to make a profit. Buying expensive stuff and hanging on to it results in a loss (the last time I checked any way). The fact that he now threatens to scrap it - for pennies on the dollar in this case - proves that his sob story of trying make a living is a bunch of BS since he knows where he can sell it right now for 10-15 times the scrap price (and still for more than he paid).

Troy
Sarcasm detector, that's a real good invention.

69_500

If he wants to use the whole stand of being a good christian I do have a problem with trying to rip someone for an unheard of profit margin though(This is the main reason that so many people in the WORLD have a negative view of "christians." People who act like that are what I like to call "Sunday Christians", people who try to look the part for one day of the week). Last time I checked in the Bible, it makes it clear that if a brother ask for something then you are supposed to help out, not hinder. It clearly says that one should not be a stumbling block to another believer. And profit margin is one thing, as far as I know the seller of the engine has already turned down an 11% mark up from what he paid for the engine. :brickwall: Heck even God only asks for 10% so where would one get off thinking they deserve more than the Creator?  :scratchchin:

To me its not so much that its a 500 though, I would view it the same way if it was a 383 block to a 69 Road Runner. Its about a principal. Like Troy said, its not like he had it in a storage shed for the past 30 years, and just recently found out it went to a 500, and offered it to the owner of the car. As a matter of fact he didn't even uphold his own word after he won the auction. Owner of the car contacted him offering to purchase the engine at a mark up, and seller of engine turned him down. Then turned around and said if he did sell it he would offer it to Rick first. To then just turn around and put it straight up on Craigslist, and then ebay without even offering it to Rick.

Okay I'm done ranting now. I still hold the same stance on the issue though.
Quote from: mopar4ever on May 10, 2008, 10:06:34 AM
    Hey, if you think about it the only reason the guy with the original car would even want his original engine is to make his car more valuable.  So why is it a bad thing if the guy with the engine makes some money on it?  Both of them have gains if a sale takes place!  Sounds like a win-win situation.

I had a similar thing happen to me, I found out the second owner of my Hemi car had my original broadcast sheet.  It is worthless to anyone but me.  Well, he said I could have it but it would cost me.  And his price was unreasonable.  Over $1000!  I stepped up and paid it and I'm glad I did.  All it did was make my car worth more come the day when I might sell it.

I do have a problem with these types of issues as well. Know of a gentleman who's HEMI 500 is missing the broadcast sheet as well, and he knows who has it. The guy who has the sheet wants $2,500 for it. THATS STUPID. Its a piece of paper that does no one any good except for the owner of the car. Who actually bought the car brand new. So why on earth would he spend half the amount that he did for the car brand new for a piece of paper that was supposed to be tossed into the trash can on the assembly line? yes it goes to his car, but I also like his stance of not caving in and spending a stupid amount of money on the sheet. And its not like there was only 1 sheet to the cars, as he already has 2 other broadcast sheets to his car, just not the one typically found under the rear seat. So what would make someone thing that they can rip someone off like that? I know that if my 500 was missing the engine, or broadcast sheet and someone made me an offer like that for $3,500 for the block, or $2,500 for a broadcast sheet would I do it? HECK NO. It wouldn't even consider it. The people who try to do this, in my opinion are the ones who are giving the hobby a bad name, and they are exactly like the one trying to make a killing on Ricks block. He openly admits it, he is in this to make a killing. Probably the same guy who was a tried and true bow tie man when they were the hot selling items too, or the man who has been a FORD man all his life once he found a 427 block somewhere.

Ghoste

And as far as making Ricks car more valuable, it isn't as though it's sitting on a rotisserie right now getting the 100,000 dollar redo so he can take it to Arizona next January and inflate his "portfoliio".  Admittedly, the engine sniper has no way of knowing that for sure but it's fairly common knowledge here so as far as the discussion on this forum goes, I can't accept that argument. 

quick77rt

The seller actually has or did have a very nice 71 bee, or did have, ive seen it  few times.  But a nice car dont make you a nice guy.  Clearly hes watching this post one here which is all fine and dandy. He has shown his true colors. He said I should buy it for the guy, well id kick in some cash for what he paid for it if others would...but you know he wont do it. This sure helps his ebay sales dont it?????

The comment about the cost per pound tells it all.

If hed take what hed paid for it, I myslef would kick in a few bucks to help the owner of the car get his block back, but at the same time this just adds to the history of the real car and its struggle to survive.

This is just all very sickening to me, ive had struggles with my car and so many moparts members have helped me over and over with info and some parts they could of made decent cash from but didnt have alot in them, one even said karmas a good thing one one item....he paid very little for a trans and sold me a part for about 1/4 its worth for no reason then just that.

Why not offer the guy 1500 to cover his costs....it would only take 15 people to kick in 100 bucks.  But the seller probably wound go for that either....very sad.

Quick

Ghoste

He was already offered a modest profit for the block after he bought it.  He is the one who chose to demand an obscene profit which he's obviously not going to get.  Use it for a boat anchor or scrap it but I for one won't be making a donation to validate his ransom demands.

mopar4ever

Again, why does the guy with the car this engine matches to even want that engine?  Because it will make his car more valuable!  And on both sides it's all about the money.  Really, the seller of the engine does seem a little greedy but the guy with the car should have stepped up in the first place and bid higher than $1300 for his original engine.  That was a givaway price to the matching car owner and the guy that sniped it knew that.  The car owner should have had a $5K snipe going, the extra value it adds to his car will be way more than that!

69_500

In all honesty, I don't think the owner of the car is as interested in seeing the engine reunited with the car as some of the other people on this board. He thinks it would be nice, but I can assure you this $1,300 is way more than a fair amount for a block that was probably pulled out of the engine 30 years ago due to a malfunction of some sorts. You gotta figure that 90% of the HP2 blocks I've seen sale lately have been around $750 to $900 so at $1,300 that is already 50% over the average selling price. Yes it would add some value to the car, but lets be realistic here. Its not going to add $10,000 to the selling price of the car. Even if it was fully restored it wouldn't. Yes its adds some, probably about 10-15% over what the selling price would be.

Side note, he has already turned down $1,500 for the engine which would be a really good profit in my opinion for doing nothing more than sniping something on ebay.

tan top

shame some people  are like that  :rotz: ..if i had a guys matching engine  ..block  i would let him have it ....if he would replace it  with another  block  ... ... . .. .just helping out fellow mopar brothers  ! have  given away or sold parts really cheap also  because of this .. 
Feel free to post any relevant picture you think we all might like to see in the threads below!

Charger Stuff 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,86777.0.html
Chargers in the background where you least expect them 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,97261.0.html
C500 & Daytonas & Superbirds
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,95432.0.html
Interesting pictures & Stuff 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,109484.925.html
Old Dodge dealer photos wanted
 http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,120850.0.html

69_500

Another side note, heck he even turned down a swap of a complete and running 440 for the block the way it sits now, and that is without even knowing what all is wrong with the block.

Troy

Quote from: mopar4ever on May 10, 2008, 01:16:31 PM
Again, why does the guy with the car this engine matches to even want that engine?  Because it will make his car more valuable!  And on both sides it's all about the money.  Really, the seller of the engine does seem a little greedy but the guy with the car should have stepped up in the first place and bid higher than $1300 for his original engine.  That was a givaway price to the matching car owner and the guy that sniped it knew that.  The car owner should have had a $5K snipe going, the extra value it adds to his car will be way more than that!
Some people want the original parts because that's the way their car came from the factory - not just to make it more valuable. Only people who look at cars purely as investments think the other way. People who pay a bunch of money to opportunists only make the problem worse.

You should probably do some research before explaining what someone else should do. It is my understanding that the original owner doesn't have the budget to throw money away on this sort of thing. It's all well and good to know that the value of the car will increase but if the money isn't there then that's the end of the story. He's had the car for many years and I don't think he's selling any time soon so why should he make an (irrational) decision that could hurt his family now on something that won't offer any return for a long time? Having said that, the seller of the engine isn't going to get several times market value from anyone else so if the car owner isn't willing or able to pay that much then it was a bad gamble. You can't hit a home run every time.

Troy

talkiemopar

Hey it's the 500 owner - O.k. it's great Frank wants to make a profit.  As I explained to him, I don't have the original #s matching trany, seller said the heads were wrong # and the pricture on e-bay showed the motor had the wrong intake manifold. Of course Frank said that not having the original trany doesn't matter. Duh! 

Sooo!  I have offered to buy the motor for $1500, even without the correct heads and intake.  For me the drive is $250 for gas, lodging and food uhhh- maybe another $100 bucks, so a total of $1850.  Ahh! Buyers remorse is what my wife calls it.  Now, if Frank spent that much picking up the engine I'd be more inclined to pay him $1850.  But!!!! since he's only 30 miles or so, from the original seller ::) 

I agree that I feel like someone 'motornapped' my engine and since there isn't a 'sole'  involved the 'motornapper' can 'destroy' what ever he wants.  I've made an offer!  By the way - E-bay auctions end at some point and in this case it stopped on his dime!  My quarter was in there. Getting testie here on that point. I've lived without it for 28 years so another 28 won't make any difference.   Later peoples off to the dirt track it's, Saturday Night! 

quick77rt

Well thats that, looks like franks got himself a $1300 pair of new dance shoes but forgot he lost one leg in the war in getting them. :nana: Sorta like not having a leg to stand on. :eek2:

Wonder if we can get some pics and a copy of the credit ticket from the scrap yard when he turns it in for the cast iron he feels so inclined to do to solve this issue as he put is?????

I had that attitude, when I was 12. :brickwall:

mopar4ever

Some people want the original parts because that's the way their car came from the factory - not just to make it more valuable. Only people who look at cars purely as investments think the other way. People who pay a bunch of money to opportunists only make the problem worse.

Troy

Hey, having the original parts on your car makes it more valuable.  Weather your an enthusiast or an investor, the outcome is the same, the car is worth more.  Even though the seller of the engine is an opportunist, the car owner buying the numbers matching engine from him still benefits himself by getting it.  That car being numbers matching IS worth over $10K more.

Drache

Quote from: mopar4ever on May 10, 2008, 05:02:50 PM

Troy

Hey, having the original parts on your car makes it more valuable.  Weather your an enthusiast or an investor, the outcome is the same, the car is worth more.  Even though the seller of the engine is an opportunist, the car owner buying the numbers matching engine from him still benefits himself by getting it.  That car being numbers matching IS worth over $10K more.

You make baby jesus cry....
Dart
Racing
Ass
Chasing
Hellion
Extraordinaire

Ghoste

Whatever.  The owner of the Charger in question has already made his point.  He's lived 28 years without that engine so another 28 doesn't matter to him.  I guess that means the car is worth less to some but obviously not to him.  I hope the good Christian enjoys his new lawn ornament.  :smilielol:

69_500

I would have to disagree on the #'s matching motor being added to that Charger 500 as adding more than $10K to the value of it. No offense meant to the owner of the car, but adding that engine to it right now, wouldn't add nearly that much and definitely not more than that amount by an stretch of the imagination.

The reason that the owner of the car is willing to go another 28 years without the engine, is simply due to the fact that unlike some others that have just recently come to the Mopar Party, he was into these cars YEARS before they became something to have. IE bought them when they were just a car because that is what he liked, not because he thought in 30 years it would be a retirement fund, or kids college fund or anything of the like.

Drache

Troy

Dude, maybe if the engine was a HEMI or maybe the the 500 was a survivor car or maybe if the car was a $100,000 resto job but it's not. Get your facts straight before trying to sling your BS here.
Dart
Racing
Ass
Chasing
Hellion
Extraordinaire

PocketThunder

I'm starting to think that this mopar4ever guy is the seller or in bed with the seller....  anyone.?..??   :popcrn:   :popcrn:

sorry Geno, i'm posting after a couple of Capt'n Cokes again...  :slap:
"Liberalism is a disease that attacks one's ability to understand logic. Extreme manifestations include the willingness to continue down a path of self destruction, based solely on a delusional belief in a failed ideology."

Troy

Troy

ONLY if he sells the car. He's had it for 28 years without the original motor so the only thing that is guaranteed if he buys it is that his bank account will decrease. Have you seen the car? How do you know it will be worth $10k more? Again, spend a bit of time doing some research. What if the engine is garbage? How much will the car's value increase then? You're making massive leaps to conclusions that are based on (mostly) unreasonable assumptions. You sound just like a person who'd think an engine is worth five times it's real value. I have some items for sale if you're interested. ;)

Troy

Troy

Quote from: PocketThunder on May 10, 2008, 11:43:59 PM
I'm starting to think that this mopar4ever guy is the seller or in bed with the seller....  anyone.?..??   :popcrn:   :popcrn:
:iagree: Probably the guy telling the seller that he's sitting on a gold mine.

Troy