News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Alternator field wires

Started by 400/6/PAC, October 05, 2008, 08:51:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

400/6/PAC

Can Anyone explain how alternators work.
I want to learn about the field wires from the alternator to the voltage regulator.
How do they work and what do they do.
73 charger
Automotive wireing is so confusing to Me.
Thanks

Nacho-RT74

ok... here I go ( I bet you guessed my reply LOL ):

you find inside an alt a rotor spinning and the stator around capturing the magnetic field created by the rotor... but Magnetic field is not created from NOTHING. To get magnetic field inside need to get power from somewhere. Rotor need to be feeded to create the magnetic field when spinning, and there is where field wires, brushes and regulator enters on play

talking first about the one field alts:

-brushes are in contact with rotor tracks

-one of the brushes is directly fit to the alt chassis so there you get the negative pole.

-the isolated brush is the one what comes from regulator through a green wire sending positive pole. Thats why is isolated from chassis.

-Regulator gets the positive power from ignition key through a blue wire. regulator is not more than a relay that opens and closes faster as far power needs to be increased to feed the rotor.

-Magnetic field inside alt is controled by just one pole, being the other one constant. On one field alts as you can say, is the positive being regulated. Magnetic field will be BIG AS THE REGULATED SOURCE. negative being directly fit to chassis, of course is the constant

-The stator captures the magnetic field but being a spinning system what creates power waves with pole variations is AC power ( thats why is called ALTERNATOR ) and needs to be rectified in to DC power to be able to storage chemically in to the battery . Stator is a triple coil system. each coil arrives to a pair of diodes, one negative one positive. Positive diode filters POSITIVE variation of magnetic field and send to the stud. Negatives diodes of course makes the same with NEGATIVE magnetic variations, but sends to the alt chassis itself. Then there you have the positive output through the stud, and the negative output through alt chassis to feed back the battery or feed the car.

Then on DOUBLE FIELD ALTS:
basic is the same, just changes the way is feeded and regulated.

-regulator is not anymore a relay, now is transistorized.

-is double field system because NOW both brushes are wired and feeded from external sources... the positive is constant to alt with the blue wire coming directly from ign key and NEGATIVE is now the REGULATED source through the green wire. Thats why both brushes are isolated and wired now. Positve because obvious reasons and negative because now is a regulated source. If you bolt directly or unisolated, negative will  be constant and will have FULL INPUT and of course OUTPUT from alt. Thats dangerous.

-you see two wires on electronic regulators because of course needs to be feeded from ign key ( blue wire ) to be "turned on" and feeel how much power is needed. The green wire coming out from regulator to feed alternator field is the REGULATED NEGATIVE source. Regulator gets the negative input source from chassis.

clear?
Venezuelan RT 74 400 4bbl, 727, 8.75 3.23 open. Now stroked with 440 crank and 3.55 SG. Here is the History and how is actually: http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,7603.0/all.html
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,25060.0.html

resq302

Quote from: Nacho-RT74 on October 05, 2008, 09:50:23 PM
ok... here I go ( I bet you guessed my reply LOL ):

you find inside an alt a rotor spinning and the stator around capturing the magnetic field created by the rotor... but Magnetic field is not created from NOTHING. To get magnetic field inside need to get power from somewhere. Rotor need to be feeded to create the magnetic field when spinning, and there is where field wires, brushes and regulator enters on play

talking first about the one field alts:

-brushes are in contact with rotor tracks

-one of the brushes is directly fit to the alt chassis so there you get the negative pole.

-the isolated brush is the one what comes from regulator through a green wire sending positive pole. Thats why is isolated from chassis.

-Regulator gets the positive power from ignition key through a blue wire. regulator is not more than a relay that opens and closes faster as far power needs to be increased to feed the rotor.

-Magnetic field inside alt is controled by just one pole, being the other one constant. On one field alts as you can say, is the positive being regulated. Magnetic field will be BIG AS THE REGULATED SOURCE. negative being directly fit to chassis, of course is the constant

-The stator captures the magnetic field but being a spinning system what creates power waves with pole variations is AC power ( thats why is called ALTERNATOR ) and needs to be rectified in to DC power to be able to storage chemically in to the battery . Stator is a triple coil system. each coil arrives to a pair of diodes, on negative one positive. Positive diode filters POSITIVE variation of magnetic field and send to the stud. Negatives diodes of course makes the same with NEGATIVE magnetic variations, but sends to the alt chassis itself. Then there you have the positive output through the stud, and the negative output through alt chassis to feed back the battery or feed the car.

Then on DOUBLE FIELD ALTS:
basic is the same, just changes the way is feeded and regulated.

-regulator is not anymore a relay, now is transistorized.

-is double field system because NOW the positive is constant to alt with the blue wire coming directly from ign key and NEGATIVE is now the REGULATED source theorught the green wire. Thats why both brushes are isolated and wired now. Positve because obvious reasons and negative because now is a regulated source. If you bolt directly or unisolated, negative will  be constant and will have FULL INPUT and of course OUTPUT from alt. Thats dangerous.

-you see two wires on electronic regulators because of course needs to be feeded from ign key ( blue wire ) to be "turned on" and feeel how much power is needed. The green wire coming out from regulator to feed alternator field is the REGULATED NEGATIVE source. Regulator gets the negative input source from chassis.

clear?

Ladies and Gentlemen........  Mr. Wizard! :lol:
Brian
1969 Dodge Charger (factory 4 speed, H code 383 engine,  AACA Senior winner, 2008 Concours d'Elegance participant, 2009 Concours d'Elegance award winner)
1970 Challenger Convert. factory #'s matching red inter. w/ white body.  318 car built 9/28/69 (AACA Senior winner)
1969 Plymough GTX convertible - original sheet metal, #'s matching drivetrain, T3 Honey Bronze, 1 of 701 produced, 1 of 362 with 440 4 bbl - auto

Nacho-RT74

LOL...
BTW I just edited some of the post so the quote have missed something LOL
Venezuelan RT 74 400 4bbl, 727, 8.75 3.23 open. Now stroked with 440 crank and 3.55 SG. Here is the History and how is actually: http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,7603.0/all.html

400/6/PAC

Thanks Nacho.
Did You use to work for the 73 charger engineering dept? :rofl:

69chargerboy

My MoPar Family:

1968 Chrysler 300 
1968 Coronet 440 4-Dr                                                              
1968 Coronet 440                                       
1969 Charger                                       
1973 Charger SE 
1988 Dodge Custom 150 Pickup

400/6/PAC

Nacho
I have a blue wire that goes to the regulator and tee"s off to the alt field.
Then I have a green wire that goes straight from the regulator to the other field.
Does that sound right.
Would that make this single pole or double pole.
Thanks.

400/6/PAC

Nacho
I got it fixed
I didn't understand the field wires, But after re-reading Your last post, I learned that The blue has to be hot to excite the alternator.
Guess what
I had blown a fuse to that wire.
Replaced the fuse and all is good.
The info You give is priceless.
I now know how alternator's work.
I'm glad I had this problem, It tought Me a lot.
Thanks
PS
If You ever need to know anything about Nuclear fizics, Atom smashing, Areospace dynamic's, Or anything simple like that just give Me a call :smilielol: :smilielol: :smilielol: :smilielol:

Nacho-RT74

Quote from: 400/6/PAC on October 06, 2008, 04:46:59 PM
Nacho
I have a blue wire that goes to the regulator and tee"s off to the alt field.
Then I have a green wire that goes straight from the regulator to the other field.
Does that sound right.
Would that make this single pole or double pole.
Thanks.

double fied since both brushes are externally feeded and wired. match with elec regulator

single field is one wire to one brush, the other one is grounded. match with mechanical reg.

on double field:
Blue wire needs to be hot ( from ig switch ) to excite regulator and feed alternator at the same time. Once regulator is excited this is able to send ground regulated signal ( what it takes from chassis ) and feed the other brush/field alternator.

sorry if there is some language missundertanding on my post

400/6/PAC

No missunderstanding.
I just wasn't reading it right.
I'm all clear now on how it works.
Thanks for all Your help. :cheers: