News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Jack stands for winter storage? [6 MONTHS LATER -- DOH!]

Started by joflaig, October 30, 2008, 09:20:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

joflaig

Winter storage for me is 5 months. Just wondering, should I bother with jackstands? If so where is the best place to put them for long term storage? I've heard different things.

Ghoste

I have used them in the past but not the last few years.  I've heard different theories as well about where they should go but where I put mine were; two under the rear axle tubes and one each under each side of the forward K-member.

Charger_Fan

Unless you're fond of having your upper control arm's rubber bump stops split, don't let the front suspension hang all by itself. The pressure of the control arm flattening the bump stop will eventually split them.

I use four jack stands...two under the rear axle & one under each lower control arm in the front.

The Aquamax...yes, this bike spent 2 nights underwater one weekend. (Not my doing), but it gained the name, and has since become pseudo-famous. :)

joflaig

Quote from: CHARGER_FAN on October 31, 2008, 03:14:20 PM
Unless you're fond of having your upper control arm's rubber bump stops split, don't let the front suspension hang all by itself. The pressure of the control arm flattening the bump stop will eventually split them.

I use four jack stands...two under the rear axle & one under each lower control arm in the front.

I take it the ones on the axle should be as far out as possible, right?

Ghoste

I never had any flatten or split but I probably didn't do it enough because it certainly makes sense that it would happen.

69*F5*SE

That happend to mine.  Although, I'm going to replace all the front end to urethane anyway.  Ted

Belgium R/T -68

Any special reason to have the car on stands during the winter?
Charger -68 R/T 500 cui Stroker

Ghoste

Get them up off the floor and let the tires hang so as not to develop flat spots.

resq302

I don't put the car up on stands since I move the car around a little during the winter as long as there is no salt on the roads or snow on the ground.  Plus it gives me an excuse to take it out of the barn.  lol
Brian
1969 Dodge Charger (factory 4 speed, H code 383 engine,  AACA Senior winner, 2008 Concours d'Elegance participant, 2009 Concours d'Elegance award winner)
1970 Challenger Convert. factory #'s matching red inter. w/ white body.  318 car built 9/28/69 (AACA Senior winner)
1969 Plymough GTX convertible - original sheet metal, #'s matching drivetrain, T3 Honey Bronze, 1 of 701 produced, 1 of 362 with 440 4 bbl - auto

Charger_Fan

Quote from: joflaig on October 31, 2008, 03:20:53 PM
Quote from: CHARGER_FAN on October 31, 2008, 03:14:20 PM

I take it the ones on the axle should be as far out as possible, right?
I usually put them about halfway between the differential & the tire...or wherever looks comfortable. :)

The Aquamax...yes, this bike spent 2 nights underwater one weekend. (Not my doing), but it gained the name, and has since become pseudo-famous. :)

ITSA426

What a great place to store your jack stands for the winter.

Ghoste

And contrary to what some believe, mice can still climb the jackstands to get up to your car.

joflaig

I'm resurecting this long dormant thread...ok, 6 months have passed! Today was the day I was FINALLY going to take her out after a long winter here in Wisconsin! Well, what do I see, but one of the tires has gone completely flat! These were new tires.  :'(

Well, I took the tire off and put the car up on jack stands. I think the front sits maybe an inch lower that the rear, does it matter? I'm too tired to make it the same height now, the tires are all off the ground anyway.

Also, since this is the first time I've ever put my car on jack stands, can you guys tell me if I got the locations ok?

The rear axel is fairly obvious, but I got conflicting advice about where to put them up front,:under the lower c-arms or under the frame rails. I looked at the c-arms, but wasn't sure the exact best spot so I put them under the frame rails.

I don't know if the flattened tire is worthless or not. With the weight of the car on it the wheel rim was almost touching the ground, it looks better in the pics. What's the usual scenerio? Get a new tire? Why did it go flat like that!?

Any advice is appreciated, thanks!

joflaig

more

tan top

always put them one the axle  & on the lower control arms ,  :yesnod: i had my  charger in storage for 11 years like that  :yesnod: no probs
Feel free to post any relevant picture you think we all might like to see in the threads below!

Charger Stuff 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,86777.0.html
Chargers in the background where you least expect them 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,97261.0.html
C500 & Daytonas & Superbirds
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,95432.0.html
Interesting pictures & Stuff 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,109484.925.html
Old Dodge dealer photos wanted
 http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,120850.0.html

joflaig

Quote from: tan top on April 12, 2009, 04:54:58 PM
always put them one the axle  & on the lower control arms ,  :yesnod: i had my  charger in storage for 11 years like that  :yesnod: no probs

If I recall the resto shop had them on the stands about where I put them, of course for long time there was no motor or control arms...anyway I guess there would be no harm, right, like this for a week while I deal with the tire.

Foreman72

try pumping it up and spritzing it w/ water from a spray bottle...that'll tell u where its leaking...but i think if you put them on the frame rails and then put something under the tires so the front suspension isn;t just chilling there...
Eric "Foreman"

Previous: 1972 Dodge Charger
Current: 2002 Volvo S60

"The steps of a man are ordered by the LORD, and He delights in his way. Though he fall, he shall not be utterly cast down; For the LORD upholds him with His hand.
=Psalm 37:23-24=
"But store up for yourselves treasures in heaven..."
=Matthew 6:19-21=
:pat

joflaig

Quote from: Foreman72 on April 12, 2009, 09:24:05 PM
try pumping it up and spritzing it w/ water from a spray bottle...that'll tell u where its leaking...but i think if you put them on the frame rails and then put something under the tires so the front suspension isn;t just chilling there...

Thanks. Good idea. It's just a week I hope. I wish someone had a pic of exactly where under the c-arms the stands should go. The top of the jack stands are narrower that the lower c-arms.  :shruggy:

tan top

Quote from: joflaig on April 12, 2009, 06:16:42 PM
Quote from: tan top on April 12, 2009, 04:54:58 PM

If I recall the resto shop had them on the stands about where I put them, of course for long time there was no motor or control arms...anyway I guess there would be no harm, right, like this for a week while I deal with the tire.

nope not much weight with out a motor  ....  still would not leave it like that for too long , if you must !!! & the motor is in !!  would put a extra screw jack or bottle jack under the K frame  :yesnod:
Feel free to post any relevant picture you think we all might like to see in the threads below!

Charger Stuff 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,86777.0.html
Chargers in the background where you least expect them 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,97261.0.html
C500 & Daytonas & Superbirds
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,95432.0.html
Interesting pictures & Stuff 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,109484.925.html
Old Dodge dealer photos wanted
 http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,120850.0.html

joflaig

Quote from: tan top link=topic=50151.msg622573#msg622573
nope not much weight with out a motor  ....  still would not leave it like that for too long , if you must !!! & the motor is in !!  would put a extra screw jack or bottle jack under the K frame  :yesnod:

Well I won't be back to visit the car until Friday night. I took your advice and bought a screw/bottle jack. I assume I place it dead center under the k-member in addition to where I have the two on the frame rails now?

I'm still unclear how the jack stand would go under the lower c-arms since they are wider than the support and I wouldn't know exactly where to put them. I can apreciate not leaving the front suspension hanging for months.

69bronzeT5

My car did the same thing. My Vector and Radial T/A on the passenger's front went completley flat and the wheel was sitting on the ground basically. I tried pumping it up but it still won't go all the way. There's now a bulge in it.
Feature Editor for Mopar Connection Magazine
http://moparconnectionmagazine.com/

1969 Charger: T5 Copper 383 Automatic
1970 Challenger R/T: FC7 Plum Crazy 440 Automatic
1970 GTO: Black 400 Ram Air III 4-Speed
1971 Charger Super Bee: GY3 Citron Yella 440 4-Speed
1972 Charger: FE5 Red 360 Automatic
1973 Charger Rallye: FY1 Top Banana 440 Automatic
1973 Plymouth Road Runner: FE5 Red 440 Automatic
1973 Plymouth Duster: FC7 Plum Crazy 318 Automatic

mopar_nut_440_6

I thought the idea when putting your car on stands was to take the weight off of the suspension and tires. Is this incorrect?  If so I have been doing things wrong for almost 30 years! OMG!!

I always placed them under the front and rear frame sections!
1968 Charger R/T 440 
2004 Dodge Ram 2500 680 HP Cummins with attitude

joflaig

Quote from: mopar_nut_440_6 on April 14, 2009, 01:24:41 AM
I thought the idea when putting your car on stands was to take the weight off of the suspension and tires. Is this incorrect?  If so I have been doing things wrong for almost 30 years! OMG!!

I always placed them under the front and rear frame sections!

In the same spots I put them under?

1969chargerrtse

I gotta tell ya, I've had at least 40 muscle cars ( and many bikes ) in my years of owning cars, some for over 7 years and they all sat for winter here in the North East.  I never had a tire issue, or fuel issue, or any problems.  I started them once a month or every other month over winter, and by springtime I was back on the road.  I see no reasons for jack stands for winter storage.  To me it's just extra work that will make no difference. :Twocents:
This car was sold many years ago to somebody in Wisconsin. I now am retired and living in Florida.

maxwellwedge

Quote from: 1969chargerrtse on April 19, 2009, 06:24:49 AM
I gotta tell ya, I've had at least 40 muscle cars ( and many bikes ) in my years of owning cars, some for over 7 years and they all sat for winter here in the North East.  I never had a tire issue, or fuel issue, or any problems.  I started them once a month or every other month over winter, and by springtime I was back on the road.  I see no reasons for jack stands for winter storage.  To me it's just extra work that will make no difference. :Twocents:

:iagree:

The worst problem I ever had was some loss of tire air pressure - but they are going to do that in any position.