News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Looking to buy a General Lee? STAY AWAY FROM BK AUTO!! It's almost over!!!

Started by jb666, November 15, 2008, 12:45:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jb666

Quote from: Ghoste on December 21, 2008, 07:19:20 PM
That's just insane, I guess the paint and bondo were new so his customers should be grateful for that.  Hey BK, the next time you're lurking on here, I'm curious, do you actually even know one single thing about cars or auto repair?  Just one?

The rear end is definitely Strange, we checked that out..

As for the oil pan, I have an invoice for the new pan and pickup.. SUPPOSEDLY Chrysler shipped the motor with the wrong pan, so I was told..  :slap:

Anyways, the car's got killer oil pressure, that's about all I can say.. Jon's an amazing motor guy too, so he's going to be giving it the once-over.. The only thing that concerns me is if Bondo can be used as a solid set of motor mounts  :shruggy:

jb666

Well, NOW I'm a little bit pissed off.

This entire time I've been justifying this entire project by saying "it's all body related, the car is excellent mechanically...."

Well, I was wrong.. Today Jon was adjusting the new shifter, and he noticed some slop in the arm that goes into the transmission. He said the entire valve body is shot, and the tranny needs to come out.

The70RT

Quote from: jb666 on December 22, 2008, 12:29:29 PM
Well, NOW I'm a little bit pissed off.

This entire time I've been justifying this entire project by saying "it's all body related, the car is excellent mechanically...."

Well, I was wrong.. Today Jon was adjusting the new shifter, and he noticed some slop in the arm that goes into the transmission. He said the entire valve body is shot, and the tranny needs to come out.

:brickwall: :brickwall: :brickwall:
<br /><br />Uploaded with ImageShack.us

Go Hogs Go

I saw that one coming. 727's are easy to burn up if they are not set up correctly. The good news is they are not that expensive to have rebuilt. Maybe changing your handle to jb777 might help.  :D Seriously though, don't get discouraged. That car will rock :punkrocka:
Go Hogs!

jb666

Quote from: Go Hogs Go on December 22, 2008, 02:17:10 PM
I saw that one coming. 727's are easy to burn up if they are not set up correctly. The good news is they are not that expensive to have rebuilt. Maybe changing your handle to jb777 might help.  :D Seriously though, don't get discouraged. That car will rock :punkrocka:

Yeah, so won't my bank account.....

Luckily, Jon has a friend that owns a shop who can go through this, build it, dyno it and ship it back, but I'm just really discouraged that this has touched my drivetrain. There has not been a single aspect of this car that there hasn't been a problem..

What scares me is that the engine hasn't' been looked at yet....

472 R/T SE

Quote from: jb666 on December 22, 2008, 02:24:11 PM

Hopefully it's not a first generation built motor.  :misbehaving:

jb666

Quote from: 472 R/T SE on December 22, 2008, 02:40:29 PM
Quote from: jb666 on December 22, 2008, 02:24:11 PM

Hopefully it's not a first generation built motor.  :misbehaving:

It was built in 2006, from what I was told. I have no proof either way because Brian "couldn't find his receipt :brickwall: for the motor"

jb666

Go Hogs Go

Don't worry about the engine. I'm sure it's fine. Even if it's not the thing hasn't run enough to cause any major damage. Just take it easy when you get it on the road. I would check to make sure the engine has the 7 qt. pick-up. They came with 5qt. pans. One thing you can do is cut the oil filter open and see how much metal is in it. That will give you a good idea on the health of your engine.
Go Hogs!

jb666

Well, I've had a few hours to cool down.. I was really ripping this afternoon, but now I'm (once again) relieved that this will be done right. When will it end though?!?!?

PocketThunder

Quote from: jb666 on December 22, 2008, 09:03:25 PM
Well, I've had a few hours to cool down.. I was really ripping this afternoon, but now I'm (once again) relieved that this will be done right. When will it end though?!?!?

I'm sorry to be the one to break it to you, but, they are never finished...  :brickwall:   :icon_smile_big:   :icon_smile_big:
"Liberalism is a disease that attacks one's ability to understand logic. Extreme manifestations include the willingness to continue down a path of self destruction, based solely on a delusional belief in a failed ideology."

Blade_1

Just finished readin' all 36 pages in one sittin'.

WOW uh huh.  :o

Wyotech certified welders? Maybe he meant Wynotech. Or Waxtech.
BK Automotive? Maybe he should be called Elmer's Automotive.
And I don't think there's as much Bond-O as you say. I think it's paper mache' uh huh.

It looks like at some point, sickdawg ran into $flow problems, and mighta' told BK just get it so he could drive it home. And at that point, BK had him over a barrel yup. And judgin' by how much of the work shows any degree of 'quality', I'm guessin' the point at which sickdawg's $flow problem started, is the day before he met BK uh huh.

Hemi 472? Wow. Looks like if someone dropped hammer, the rear woulda' wound up the the rest of the car like a string.

And that Michael Jackson domelight gig.

Law of the land BK:
No stuff allowed.

Brian Lohnes

Quote from: jb666 on December 21, 2008, 03:38:27 PM
BTW, how do you like this shift arm?? Sorry for the crappy picture, but you get the idea.. This thing is HORRIBLE!!

Yeah, I'm going to go ahead and bring the noise all high-res like. I saw the car on Friday. Jon's doing some awesome work, but Jasus. You don't need me to tell you. The last 36 pages have done it for me.

Here's the "custom" shifter arm. Yikes.

hemi-hampton

Blade_1

Quote from: BKautomotive on December 01, 2008, 12:46:37 AM...  Do I think i somehow owed it to reach into my pocket or my kids savings to build a car for someone who hears me tell them what they need and says no? No.

Never fails nope.

Do it for the children uh huh...

I bet your kids are grubbin' pretty good with $60k in the pocket huh?

pffft.

And post up that Crayola Scamtech weldin' cert, huh?

Dude. Better git yerself some asbestos undies, and some SPF nuclear, cause I'm bettin' there's a toasty resort with reservations waitin' for ya'. And some striped duds in the hoosegow too uh huh.

Charger-Bodie

Quote from: jb666 on December 21, 2008, 03:31:42 PM
Quote from: hemi-hampton on December 21, 2008, 12:45:32 PM
Looks like somebody forgot to drill the plug hole & put a plug in it on lower trunk extension. Besides that looks real nice :2thumbs: LEON.

That would be me.. I didn't want any holes in this thing that weren't absolutely necessary.. Do they really matter?? This car will never see bad weather.

As for the undercoating, here's the answer I just got:

the factory look comes from spraying 3M sprayable seam sealer and then going over it with 3M rubberized undercoating

Thats exactly what we already use! .....It looks nice but I was hoping youre guy found a 1 step process, But oh well! Thanks for the info!
68 Charger R/t white with black v/t and red tailstripe. 440 4 speed ,black interior
68 383 auto with a/c and power windows. Now 440 4 speed jj1 gold black interior .
My Charger is a hybrid car, it burns gas and rubber............

jb666

Quote from: Brian Lohnes on December 22, 2008, 11:33:37 PM
BTW, how do you like this shift arm?? Sorry for the crappy picture, but you get the idea.. This thing is HORRIBLE!!

Yeah, I'm going to go ahead and bring the noise all high-res like. I saw the car on Friday. Jon's doing some awesome work, but Jasus. You don't need me to tell you. The last 36 pages have done it for me.

Brian, I'm really looking forward to seeing your article.. Your pictures should tell quite the story. To say this entire ordeal has been frustrating would be like saying we got a few "flurries" this past weekend (we got 20"+). I really would just like it to be over,but it seems that just when we think we're nearing the end, something else comes up that is just more unbelievable then the last thing..

So far the ONLY things that haven't been a problem?

The exhaust system
The rear end

I hope this list grows...  :popcrn:

Big Sugar

Quote from: jb666 on December 23, 2008, 12:34:35 PM
Quote from: Brian Lohnes on December 22, 2008, 11:33:37 PM

Brian, I'm really looking forward to seeing your article.. Your pictures should tell quite the story. To say this entire ordeal has been frustrating would be like saying we got a few "flurries" this past weekend (we got 20"+). I really would just like it to be over,but it seems that just when we think we're nearing the end, something else comes up that is just more unbelievable then the last thing..

So far the ONLY things that haven't been a problem?

The exhaust system
The rear end

I hope this list grows...  :popcrn:

For What it's worth Jeff...Open up that Rear end and make sure its right, I'd also dig into the Hemi a little bit as well, hopefully it's all good.

Ron

[img]<table border="0" cellpadding="0" style="border-collapse: collapse" width="182" id="table1" height="202" bordercolorlight="#ECEBF1" bordercolordark="#E9DFD1" b

jb666

Quote from: Big Sugar on December 23, 2008, 01:57:37 PM

For What it's worth Jeff...Open up that Rear end and make sure its right, I'd also dig into the Hemi a little bit as well, hopefully it's all good.

Ron
[/quote]

I tend to agree with you  :cheers: :cheers:

Brian Lohnes

The one thing Jon and I were joking about was how good the exhaust system looked. They nailed that part, just everything directly above it was a problem.

So if I am remembering right the motor is supposed to be a crate 472 Hemi straight from Chrysler or was it built by somone?

Brian

jb666

Quote from: Brian Lohnes on December 23, 2008, 02:43:34 PM
The one thing Jon and I were joking about was how good the exhaust system looked. They nailed that part, just everything directly above it was a problem.

So if I am remembering right the motor is supposed to be a crate 472 Hemi straight from Chrysler or was it built by somone?

Brian

Yeah, I know, the exhaust is beautiful. I later learned this was subbed out.

As for the motor, yes, it's a crate 472. I've been told, on more then one occasion, that this motor arrived at BK from "the builder" with the wrong oil pan, so they swapped it (and the pickup). Brian had mentioned once that it had a cam, but there is NO PROOF that this motor has been apart, so I think it's a "bone stock" crate motor, as Chrysler built it. Until it's dyno'd, I can't verify either way.

Brian Lohnes

Hmmmm....

Tough call on what to do with the motor. The "arrived with the wrong oil pan" story gives me some chills due to the rest of the stuff that went on with this thing.

Is it worth pulling the motor apart just to check the clearances, and verify it is what it was claimed to be? Tough call as you are already neck deep into the car. Not knowing enough about these crate motors to make an informed judegement I guess I'd have to ask a question to the board.

Is there a way to clearly ID one of these motors as a factory crate engine? My father in law has a NICE GTX with a 440 in it. The motor was a factory replacement bought in 1996 by a previous owner and carries a 1978 casting number. Is this the same type deal with the Hemis?

What was said about the trans when you bought the car? New/rebuilt etc?

FB builds some BOMB PROOF stuff so you're in good hands there. Jon runs one of their pieces in his car. Not sure if any of you guys have seen Jon's racer but it's an 8 second small-tire Nova that is wickedly bitchin'. Even for a Chevy... :icon_smile_wink:

Brian

jb666

Quote from: Brian Lohnes on December 23, 2008, 03:45:29 PM
Hmmmm....

Tough call on what to do with the motor. The "arrived with the wrong oil pan" story gives me some chills due to the rest of the stuff that went on with this thing.

Is it worth pulling the motor apart just to check the clearances, and verify it is what it was claimed to be? Tough call as you are already neck deep into the car. Not knowing enough about these crate motors to make an informed judegement I guess I'd have to ask a question to the board.

Is there a way to clearly ID one of these motors as a factory crate engine? My father in law has a NICE GTX with a 440 in it. The motor was a factory replacement bought in 1996 by a previous owner and carries a 1978 casting number. Is this the same type deal with the Hemis?

What was said about the trans when you bought the car? New/rebuilt etc?

FB builds some BOMB PROOF stuff so you're in good hands there. Jon runs one of their pieces in his car. Not sure if any of you guys have seen Jon's racer but it's an 8 second small-tire Nova that is wickedly bitchin'. Even for a Chevy... :icon_smile_wink:

Brian

I was told my transmission was a "high dollar rebuild" and that the torque converter was a "high performance 3500 stall converter". The converter is an off the shelf passenger car converter and we now know what the transmission ended up like.. I don't care if there was anything that needed adjustment, a transmission doesn't burn out with 40 miles on it... IMO, this thing was toast when it went in. It shifted like a dog and barely wanted to go into 3rd (and the fluid was fine, all the way up and not burnt).

As for the motor, hopefully Jon can pull some #'s off of it and some people here can help out with their knowledge... The last thing I want to do is have to yank the motor and send it off the be 'rebuilt', that would be the straw that breaks the camel's back......

And Jon's car... WOW  :o , he certainly builds some amazing stuff!!!!!!!  :coolgleamA:

Go Hogs Go

Identifing a crate Hemi engine is easy. Facing the engine there is a pad just to the right of the thermostat housing on the block. If it is a crate engine the pad should be bare metal, not painted, and have the numbers 472 stamped into the metal on the pad. 
Go Hogs!

jb666

Quote from: Go Hogs Go on December 23, 2008, 04:16:09 PM
Identifing a crate Hemi engine is easy. Facing the engine there is a pad just to the right of the thermostat housing on the block. If it is a crate engine the pad should be bare metal, not painted, and have the numbers 472 stamped into the metal on the pad. 

That is there, yes.