News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

coupe vs. hardtop

Started by moparcrazy72, January 15, 2009, 08:09:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

moparcrazy72

I have a 1972 dodge rallye charger, and i thaught it was a coupe, but i dont know the exact difference between a hartop car and a coupe car dealing with dodges. can anyone explain what the diff. is? thanks

Rolling_Thunder

coupe has a "B" Pillar - a hardtop does not...        B pillar is the pillar located between the driver's window and the 1/4 window.
1968 Dodge Charger - 6.1L Hemi / 6-speed / 3.55 Sure Grip

2013 Dodge Challenger R/T - 5.7L Hemi / 6-speed / 3.73 Limited Slip

1964 Dodge Polara 500 - 440 / 4-speed / 3.91 Sure Grip

1973 Dodge Challenger Rallye - 340 / A-518 / 3.23 Sure Grip

Ghoste

I agree with you on the hardtop portion but I have always thought of a coupe as any two door vehicle (with a back seat), so technically a Charger would be a hardtop coupe.

Foreman72

your vin should tell u..but just in case...i would say the coupes did not have a vinyl top and the hardtops did...but idk if thats the rule

http://www.stockmopar.com/_images/brochures/1972-dodge-charger-brochure/original/1972-dodge-charger-brochure-4.jpg

2 big of a pic 2 post...

Eric "Foreman"

Previous: 1972 Dodge Charger
Current: 2002 Volvo S60

"The steps of a man are ordered by the LORD, and He delights in his way. Though he fall, he shall not be utterly cast down; For the LORD upholds him with His hand.
=Psalm 37:23-24=
"But store up for yourselves treasures in heaven..."
=Matthew 6:19-21=
:pat

Nacho-RT74

TALKING SPECIFICALLY ABOUT 3RD GENS... coupes are with fixed quarter windows, making the molding like a fixed B pillar, and hardtops are with rolling down quarter windows.

beside that, coupes are low trim package and hardtops are a higher step on trim package, like woodgrain all around etc...

As far I know Coupes could have vinyl top.

Structurally ( so then now the real life ) is true than all Chargers are really Hardtops, because none of those have a real B pillar post, except 73/74 SEs and 74 Spring Specials. However this B pillar post doesn't make any function on structure/unibody
Venezuelan RT 74 400 4bbl, 727, 8.75 3.23 open. Now stroked with 440 crank and 3.55 SG. Here is the History and how is actually: http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,7603.0/all.html
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,25060.0.html

375instroke

A hardtop is what one calls a coupe without a window frame and no b-pillar.  A coupe is technically smaller than a sedan.  The SAE defines a coupe as a fixed roof car with less than 33 cubic feet.  A sedan can also have no frame around the windows.  In the end, it comes down to how the car maker wants to market their products.  I have a '62 Cadillac 4-door Sedan Deville.  It doesn't have window frames or a b-pillar, and the Coupe Deville, I'm sure, has more than 33 cubic feet on interior space.

purple charger

The WL series cars are the coupes The WH and WP for 71-72 were the hard tops.  The WL were the cars that the rear windows did not roll down they were fixed Check your VIN tag :laugh:

71superbee

Charger1973

My first '73 was a coupe.  It was a WL21 car and it had fixed rear windows, low trim package (no woodgrain) and it was a vinyl top car. 

Mike DC

The "hardtop" name comes from the popular look (at the time) of a vinyl top + no B-pillar.  That combination sorta mimics a convertible car with its top raised up, if you think about it.

The word is just a non-brand-specific designation.  Covers anything without a B-pillar but still having a second window on each side.