News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Oldcarnut's Superbird Clone

Started by oldcarnut, February 14, 2009, 12:11:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Daytona Guy

Love the idea of cutting the core support. I have wanted to do that sooooo many times. Glad someone did it. They should have came this way.

Dane

Musicman

oldcarnut

Quote from: Daytona Guy on May 29, 2013, 01:36:35 AM
Love the idea of cutting the core support. I have wanted to do that sooooo many times. Glad someone did it. They should have came this way.

Dane

I was wondering how long it would take to be noticed and brought up.   I already can feel the   :slap: from a few but it took a lot of talking myself into it and it sure made things so much easier since I usually don't have anyone around to help me.  I'll post some pics later but I made some brackets to reattach and it didn't lose any rigidity or support from what I can see.  I'll be swapping that motor out when the other gets built so it will come in use again.    I guess I could have used the suspension route from underneath but I chose to do it this way.

70Sbird

I've swapped engines into two cars with the core support cut similar to yours, and there really is no easier way! makes for a quick and easy swap in or out - especially if your doing it alone!  :2thumbs:

Scott Faulkner

oldcarnut

Well I have been cleaning up the dumping grounds that's occurred in my garage for last couple years with no attention/time available to give to it.  Now getting back in the groove after being disgusted with what had become of my project (pic). Sent several loads of junk to the dump and a truck load of scrap metal turned in then I cleaned the RR off and tried to focus on what to do next.  I'm planning on adding aftermarket AC to it later so I figured I'd use an AC dash frame and get it ready while putting the existing one back together stock and get the engine wired and cranked. Put a connection plug on the nose headlight wiring that will plug directly into the RR existing wiring for easy removal/install.  Felt good to get a step forward on it again.  Pics are the dash frame to use and the old one in the car currently before working on them.  The new one will get changed to black and 70 dash plastic instead of the 69 pc's on it.

Musicman

Hey, it's good hear that you are back it again Dave! Looking forward to the progress pic's. :cheers:

mpdlawdog

how did that fender work out?  Good to see you getting back to the bird!
"Life is Tough...It's even tougher when you are stupid"  -John Wayne-

Stevearino

Hardest part is getting re started on a project that sits for a while. I have no doubt you will get back in to the full swing in no time. Everything looks great so far. :2thumbs: :2thumbs:

oldcarnut

Quote from: mpdlawdog on November 06, 2014, 05:24:12 PM
how did that fender work out?  Good to see you getting back to the bird!
Well its doing a great job leaning up against the engine from the RR  :lol:
Quote from: Stevearino on November 06, 2014, 06:14:54 PM
Hardest part is getting re started on a project that sits for a while. I have no doubt you will get back in to the full swing in no time. Everything looks great so far. :2thumbs: :2thumbs:
Thanks guys.  Whats going to be more harder is figuring out where I have put all the bolts etc that were removed so long ago and how it goes back together  :scratchchin:
I had planned on building a extra dash to switch out but found out after some work was already accomplished the 69 frame wont work for the new 70 pads I bought :brickwall: Now I have a nice redone 69 with no place to go.  Reckon I'll Ebay it off or something.  Soo tonight I pulled the windshield and started removing the RR dash for rebuild. Kinda wanted to keep all the Burnt Orange pieces original but really what would be the point cause I'm not going to convert it back.

XS29L9B2

dodge charger 440 R/T match
dodge charger 70 projet daytona

BigBlockSam

I won't be wronged, I wont be Insulted and I wont be laid a hand on. I don't do these things to others, and I require the same from them.

[IMG]http://i45.tinypic.com/347b5v5.jpg[/img

Musicman

Your right Dave, that fender is doing an outstanding job!  :2thumbs:

:lol:

tan top

Feel free to post any relevant picture you think we all might like to see in the threads below!

Charger Stuff 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,86777.0.html
Chargers in the background where you least expect them 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,97261.0.html
C500 & Daytonas & Superbirds
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,95432.0.html
Interesting pictures & Stuff 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,109484.925.html
Old Dodge dealer photos wanted
 http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,120850.0.html

oldcarnut

Just a little update.  About got the dash done.  Refinished, new pads,  brushed stainless faceplates and A/C vents cut and installed. Still have the center plate to do where the radio was and one more custom mod.  Center A/C vents on hold for now.  Radio is not going back in but will be mocking up a clock and charging ports for USB devices. Also working on a holder for the smartphone or gps.

Musicman

Old Moparz

Bob                

I Gotta Stop Taking The Bus

Stevearino

oldcarnut

Thanks guys   Old Moparz that dash pad I got from you turned out great  :2thumbs: only it's not green anymore

XS29L9B2

dodge charger 440 R/T match
dodge charger 70 projet daytona

Old Moparz

Quote from: oldcarnut on November 21, 2014, 02:57:39 PM
Thanks guys   Old Moparz that dash pad I got from you turned out great  :2thumbs: only it's not green anymore

:cheers:  I was wondering if that was the same pad.

What did you specifically use to dye it? I have a blue one for my Satellite that's in nice shape but I need to redo the lower pads & will probably do all of them at the same time with the horn pad so they match.  :shruggy:
               Bob                

oldcarnut

I used SEM color coat Laudau Black 15013   Got a little camera flash on the pics

mpdlawdog

"Life is Tough...It's even tougher when you are stupid"  -John Wayne-

Old Moparz

Quote from: oldcarnut on November 21, 2014, 05:58:02 PM
I used SEM color coat Laudau Black 15013   Got a little camera flash on the pics

That looks really good, like a new pad.  :2thumbs:

Thanks for letting me know.  :cheers:
               Bob                

oldcarnut

Your welcome.  I appreciate you letting it go.   Got my glove box liner from Classic today and what a piece of tore up junk it was.  Called them up and sent some pics.  I hope they do something about it.  Can't believe they would even send it out to a customer.  Ordered a cobalt blue auto meter  clock for the center plate and will try to finish off the holes etc this weekend.   

moparnation74

Dave,

The dash looks awesome!  Nice job!