News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Another $24 project that will take the 'Bird off the road for months - fixed!

Started by 70Sbird, March 12, 2009, 09:50:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

70Sbird

Well the weather is finally starting to break here in the midwest and I got out into the garage last week to see what I felt like doing to get the Superbird out of hibernation.
I looked at my dash and thought to myself "Gee self, those small gauges sure look crappy with the white lettering all browning with age, I remember PettyBird used those decals to reface his gauges and they turned out pretty good looking" besides I'm still trying to get my fuel gauge working as designed, maybe I should pull them out for decals and have the gas gauge checked out. I went on-line and found the decal set for about $24.00 and was ready to go.
Anyone that has been down this road before before please stop laughing at me now!
Since the tach quit on me halfway to Talladega in 2004, I might as well fix that too.... and my speedo has 99,750 miles on it , it looks faded too, and probably needs a service.....
Before the day was out I had my cluster out and stripped to the bare housing, where I found a burned ammeter repaired with a piece of a manila folder and a host of other substandard repairs. It was about then that I realized $24 really meant about $500 :eek2:
I then tried to fix my "bent" cluster attaching points an promptly broke off the lower right hand mounting ear (I did fab up a pretty cool little bracket for it though- see second photo)
now for the point of this rant,
I wanted RT Engineering (or someone else reputable) to repair my tach and check out my gauges. I e-mailed them over a week ago and have left phone messages, but have not gotten any response! Are they still around, and does anyone have any other recommendations of someone that  could work some magic on my tired looking gauges?
Thanks in advance for the advice!
Scott

Scott Faulkner

hotrod98

Greg Garner with RTE is pretty busy at times. I have known him for several years and I'll vouch for his honesty and integrity.
Keep on trying to contact him. He does great work.

Normal is an illusion. What is normal for the spider is chaos for the fly.
Charles Addams

Dave Kanofsky

Scott Erickson in the north suburbs of Chicago does GREAT work at very reasonable prices.  He did the gauges in my Daytona.  His process is amazing, he even has a complete dash set up as a test stand in his shop.

His number is 630-372-7648, his Email is gsdd@ameritech.net.

If you talk to him please tell him I sent you!
"God sent his Son into the world not to judge the world, but to save the world through him." John 3:17, NLT

Racers For Christ Chaplain (www.teamrfc.org)

Dave Kanofsky

Also take this opportunity to put LED's in for the dash lights/turn signals, etc.

http://www.superbrightleds.com/instrument.html has everything you need, they work great - in mine I especially like the turn signal indicator that you can actually see light up really bright!
"God sent his Son into the world not to judge the world, but to save the world through him." John 3:17, NLT

hemi68charger

Quote from: Dave Kanofsky on March 13, 2009, 09:05:29 AM
Also take this opportunity to put LED's in for the dash lights/turn signals, etc.

http://www.superbrightleds.com/instrument.html has everything you need, they work great - in mine I especially like the turn signal indicator that you can actually see light up really bright!

Dave..
Which bulb socket did you buy; B8 or BAX? This sounds like a good idea for my 2nd gen's....................  Sorry to hijack there 70Sbird

Cheers,
Troy
Troy
'69 Charger Daytona 440 auto 4.10 Dana ( now 426 HEMI )
'70 Superbird 426 Hemi auto: Lindsley Bonneville Salt Flat world record holder (220.2mph)
Houston Mopar Club Connection

moparstuart

Quote from: Dave Kanofsky on March 13, 2009, 09:05:29 AM

dave do you know how many and what bulbs I would need to do a whole cluster ????

GO SELL CRAZY SOMEWHERE ELSE WE ARE ALL STOCKED UP HERE

pettybird

Scott--

just send them my way.  I'm pretty sure I even have another housing.

hemi68charger

Scott..
I would think about the amp-gauge-2-volt-gauge conversion...... I did it on Dana (my C500). Redline Gauge Works took care of me on this and the face was restored with the silkscreen of the amp gauge, not voltage. I wanted to the face to look original and regardless, the needle still moves in the proper direction. Voltage and amperage are proportional........

Troy
Troy
'69 Charger Daytona 440 auto 4.10 Dana ( now 426 HEMI )
'70 Superbird 426 Hemi auto: Lindsley Bonneville Salt Flat world record holder (220.2mph)
Houston Mopar Club Connection

charger490

i also have a houseing if you need it plus some other parts for the dash don
instant@frontiernet.net

Dave Kanofsky

I used p/n WLED-4 LED (white) for the wedge based bulbs and BA9s-W4 (white) for the bayonet based. 
I don't remember the quantity for each but it's more than you expect - there's the brake system light, the turn signals, the high beam indicator, and all of the dash lights.

Just like pettybird said - it lights up kinda blue and is super cool.

pettybird

Quote from: pettybird on March 13, 2009, 10:06:37 AM
Scott--

I'm serious.  I still owe you for the stay in Milwaukee.  Besides--it would force me to go out to the garage and pull the cluster out of the Petty car.  I could do them both on the same day.

moparstuart

Quote from: pettybird on March 14, 2009, 10:40:58 AM
Quote from: pettybird on March 13, 2009, 10:06:37 AM
Scott--

I'm serious.  I still owe you for the stay in Milwaukee.  Besides--it would force me to go out to the garage and pull the cluster out of the Petty car.  I could do them both on the same day.
your the man doug  :2thumbs: :2thumbs: :2thumbs: :2thumbs: :2thumbs: :2thumbs: :2thumbs: :2thumbs: :2thumbs: :2thumbs: :2thumbs: :2thumbs:

pettybird

FYI a rallye cluster takes 3 194 bulbs and 7 57's with a clock or tach, and six with the block off plate. 

moparstuart

thanks i'lll be placing my order

i ordered minetoday got two sets to do two clusters   , thanks dave and doug for the info    :2thumbs: :2thumbs: :2thumbs: :2thumbs:

moparstuart

thanks guys for the help  dave and doug

I love the LED's
  3 and 7 are correct numbers of bulbs for 70 but my 69 cluster  has one more you need 8 of the twistin style bulbs   

Dave Kanofsky

pettybird

where does the eighth bulb go?  the housings are identical for 69-70...

turn signals (2)
high beam indicator
brake warning light
clock/tach
speedometer (2)

moparstuart

Quote from: pettybird on April 06, 2009, 11:32:12 AM
where does the eighth bulb go?  the housings are identical for 69-70...

turn signals (2)
high beam indicator
brake warning light
clock/tach
speedometer (2)

my 69 cluster is at home , ill get  a shot of the extra hole .  it's in the middle top next to another hole.   :shruggy: :shruggy: :shruggy: :shruggy:

moparstuart

found a picture doug , it was in my daytona clone thread

the two holes right about the speedo cable plug, My 70 cluster only has one if those holes ??? :shruggy:

the LED's with my white faces should really brighten up and POP

pettybird

i've never seen that hole punched out.  anyone know what it's for?

it goes in a "tunnel" like the high beam indicator...

pettybird

moparstuart

Quote from: pettybird on April 06, 2009, 03:37:29 PM
i've never seen that hole punched out.  anyone know what it's for?

it goes in a "tunnel" like the high beam indicator...

it's the exact same size as the other hole and has scratches on the housing like the harness has been plugged in ?    :shruggy:  got this cluster out of a 69 charger years ago and had it rebuilt recently to go i the 69 tona clone , so i can just swap them out . 

pettybird

i believe you, but I've not had one punched out before...

i've gone through better than a dozen clusters here and have five housings at home.  I've always wondered why the casting is what it is. 

the $64,000 question is whether or not you have another bulb socket in your harness  :scope:

moparstuart

Quote from: pettybird on April 06, 2009, 04:12:33 PM
i believe you, but I've not had one punched out before...

i've gone through better than a dozen clusters here and have five housings at home.  I've always wondered why the casting is what it is. 

the $64,000 question is whether or not you have another bulb socket in your harness  :scope:
or if someone had the wrong socket slid in there because there was a hole ?
   I bought it at an auction and never saw it in the car .