News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

charger cody's 73 charger restoration (we have a motor!)

Started by charger_cody, March 14, 2009, 12:10:49 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

charger_cody

Ok so i got the car from a guy who rigged it really really bad.  :brickwall: so i decided hey, lets just rip out the 318 and put a 360 into it. So it begins.

FLG

316??

Maybe im wrong but the only 316 engine i know of is of the pontiac brand  :shruggy:

Or maybe its just my ignorance... :popcrn:

RD

i think he meant 360
67 Plymouth Barracuda, 69 Plymouth Barracuda, 73 Charger SE, 75 D100, 80 Sno-Commander

1969chargerrtse

Neato, great pictures.  Keep em coming.
This car was sold many years ago to somebody in Wisconsin. I now am retired and living in Florida.

charger_cody

haha ya i swear every time i mean to put 360 i end up putting 316 after writting 318  :brickwall:

FLG

LOL ok,

Nice eye RD, i was trying to make out the stamping but it was late and i was on my way to bed thanks  :2thumbs:

charger_cody

ok guy im off to a bad start today. i Was going to prep my door hinges for paint, so i was like oh, ok, i've taken the door panels off before. I started taking them off and i hear, RRRRIIIIPPPP, ripped out like 2 or 3 of the clipps out of it.  :brickwall: Well atleast they are off so now i can start on it.

Also about 3 or 4 months ago (when it was warm) i painted under the hood. Pics later today. But i have decided who needs B5 blue,

when you can have petty blue  :D

pics later.

charger_cody

Charger1973

Good looking car, reminds me of mine in a way.  Whats with the green one?

mopar73

keep up the good work!  At least you'll be driving yours soon :cheers:

charger_cody

Quote from: Charger1973 on March 14, 2009, 09:00:47 PM
Good looking car, reminds me of mine in a way.  Whats with the green one?

It is a 74 440 bbl i sold it to some guy in texas cause it was rigged and too man things were wrong for my budget.

SeattleCharger

those rims look great    :2thumbs:  looks like new tires, too.

Why would you want anything else?  Just give me a Charger and I'll be happy.

charger_cody

:brickwall: :brickwall: :brickwall: I hate takingg off weatherstrip. I alllways break those liitle plastic clips

BROCK

Me thinks you are in the eastern part of OK?  Enjoying your updates!

=============================================
Let your music be in transit to the world

charger_cody

Ok guys i have plenty more pics..

If you really want to see them reply..

Cause last time i didnt get very many views/posts.

Cody

Nacho-RT74

Venezuelan RT 74 400 4bbl, 727, 8.75 3.23 open. Now stroked with 440 crank and 3.55 SG. Here is the History and how is actually: http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,7603.0/all.html
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,25060.0.html

charger_cody

Quote from: Nacho-RT74 on March 26, 2009, 01:50:41 PM
what wheels are these ?

Well i got them for my b-day, but i do believe that they are hobsters? I can find out.

Fitz73Chrgr

Everyone always loves seeing some pics..you really don't have to ask  :2thumbs:

I'm in the midst of restoring a 73 as well, so I always love to see someone else making progress on one.  I know I can speak for almost all of the 3rd gen guys in saying that they always want to see pics!
'73 Charger - project                '70 Charger - driver                 '66 Charger - survivor

Resto thread:
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,89803.msg1019541.html#msg1019541

73TXRallye440

Goldfinger71

Good job Cody,post some side pics with the new wheels for us.
1971 Charger R/T   GY9 Dark Gold Metallic, V1Y Gold Top, GY4 Light Gold Interior- A/C, Rimblow, PW, Front Disc, AM-FM, Tach, Light Package, Slotted Tips, Trailer Tow Package(MIA)and a few other odds and ends...including a luggage rack!

charger_cody

charger_cody

Quote from: Goldfinger71 on March 26, 2009, 10:27:34 PM
Good job Cody,post some side pics with the new wheels for us.
hey man i would love to but i had to take them off due to paint  :2thumbs:

But in a couple of weeks after we drop the motor in it goes in for the outside paint.

So the pics of everything will be up in a couple days.  :2thumbs:

Beer

Quote from: Fitz73Chrgr on March 26, 2009, 03:47:11 PM
Everyone always loves seeing some pics..you really don't have to ask  :2thumbs:

I'm in the midst of restoring a 73 as well, so I always love to see someone else making progress on one.  I know I can speak for almost all of the 3rd gen guys in saying that they always want to see pics!

X2  :2thumbs:
1973 Dodge Charger 402 Stroker Smallblock 414 HP/ 466 ft/lbs torque,  8 3/4" 3.91 Suregrip rear w/ DR. Diff disk brake conversion, CalTracs single leaf and Rear Suspension, VFN Bulge Hood, Running, needs interior completed, Had to give to Ex-Wife in divorce 2017...

69bronzeT5

Feature Editor for Mopar Connection Magazine
http://moparconnectionmagazine.com/

1969 Charger: T5 Copper 383 Automatic
1970 Challenger R/T: FC7 Plum Crazy 440 Automatic
1970 GTO: Black 400 Ram Air III 4-Speed
1971 Charger Super Bee: GY3 Citron Yella 440 4-Speed
1972 Charger: FE5 Red 360 Automatic
1973 Charger Rallye: FY1 Top Banana 440 Automatic
1973 Plymouth Road Runner: FE5 Red 440 Automatic
1973 Plymouth Duster: FC7 Plum Crazy 318 Automatic

charger_cody

charger_cody

charger_cody

Welp finally got a good day, so we primered the door jams,under the hood, and in the trunk. That was 2 days ago. And i started at 4 pm and its now almost 10. I sanded the primer smooth again, now we are waiting for annother good day to shoot it. Pics tomorrow.

Cody

Silver R/T

http://www.cardomain.com/id/mitmaks

1968 silver/black/red striped R/T
My Charger is hybrid, it runs on gas and on tears of ricers
2001 Ram 2500 CTD
1993 Mazda MX-3 GS SE
1995 Ford Cobra SVT#2722

charger_cody

devilgear

WOW very nice...Keep up the good work..I too am biulding a 3rd gen..A 73 to be exact...Color looks nice and vivid...I like it.

DREDILSKI

Great job, I can't wait to see it when the engine goes in......keep the pics coming     :popcrn:
DRE - 73' Charger 360 SE

FLG

C_stripes

Quote from: FLG on April 25, 2009, 01:18:13 PM
Looks good but why didnt you remove everything?

:iagree:

I would think that it would have been easier to remove all the wiring than it was to mask it.
The color does look good though.
I'm smarter than I act, But I don't act smarter than I am.

charger_cody

Quote from: FLG on April 25, 2009, 01:18:13 PM
Looks good but why didnt you remove everything?

Well i didnt want to go through the trouble.  The paint could not have come out any better even if i did take off everything.

Im very satisfied.  :yesnod:

Cody

FLG

The problem is if you need to remove the booster for example your likely to mess up the paint around it because its all one connected layer. Just some words of wisdom. It would have been better to remove everything IMO.

Not tying to take away anything from your work, it looks great!

SeattleCharger

I am impressed with the masking job you did with the doors and and around door jams and along the running boards down near the carpet and seats.   looks good

Why would you want anything else?  Just give me a Charger and I'll be happy.

41husk

Looks great Cody! I love that color, sometimes I wish I had gone with petty blue on the Wanna bee :shruggy:
1969 Dodge Charger 500 440/727
1970 Challenger convertible 340/727
1970 Plymouth Duster FM3
1974 Dodge Dart /6/904
1983 Plymouth Scamp GT 2.2 Auto
1950 Dodge Pilot house pick up

charger_cody

Quote from: FLG on April 25, 2009, 04:25:14 PM
The problem is if you need to remove the booster for example your likely to mess up the paint around it because its all one connected layer. Just some words of wisdom. It would have been better to remove everything IMO.

Not tying to take away anything from your work, it looks great!

Ya i do suppose your right. But overall without taking everything off i think it came out very impressive.   :2thumbs:

Cody

Beer

Quote from: 41husk on April 25, 2009, 05:28:46 PM
Looks great Cody! I love that color, sometimes I wish I had gone with petty blue on the Wanna bee :shruggy:

Thats sounds like a great personalized plate!
W1A BEE

:cheers:
1973 Dodge Charger 402 Stroker Smallblock 414 HP/ 466 ft/lbs torque,  8 3/4" 3.91 Suregrip rear w/ DR. Diff disk brake conversion, CalTracs single leaf and Rear Suspension, VFN Bulge Hood, Running, needs interior completed, Had to give to Ex-Wife in divorce 2017...

charger_cody

Finally got the chance to start taking out the tail lights about a month ago when i ripped one to shreds. Bordin34 was too kind to give me a free one with the price of shipping.

In the process of painting the taillights black because I personally think they look better black.

jb666

Did someone say Petty Blue?? I thought of you today while taking these pictures...

:cheers: :cheers: AWESOME color!!!!

charger_cody

Quote from: jb666 on October 17, 2009, 04:42:04 PM
Did someone say Petty Blue?? I thought of you today while taking these pictures...

:cheers: :cheers: AWESOME color!!!!

OMG!!! I absolutely love this color.... I do not regret it at ALL!!!

Haha thanks jb Its coming along nicely. Kinda been at a stopping point though because of kickdown issues. But im working through it.

:cheers:

Cody

jb666

Good job, bud.. Keep pluggin' away, you'll make it!!!!  :cheers:

charger_cody

Quote from: jb666 on October 17, 2009, 04:50:45 PM

Ya. I also have figured out recently that i will be the one sanding and painting the outside. Just so when i roll into the highschool and someone says "wow thats a nice paintjob" i can say ya i know i did it myself.  :smilielol:   :coolgleamA:

Cody

jb666

Quote from: charger_cody on October 17, 2009, 04:53:52 PM

Ya. I also have figured out recently that i will be the one sanding and painting the outside. Just so when i roll into the highschool and someone says "wow thats a nice paintjob" i can say ya i know i did it myself.  :smilielol:   :coolgleamA:

Cody

Just stay focused and don't rush.. I did a couple of driveway jobs back in high school that I was pretty proud of.. These days between working 2 jobs and home I find that time to get projects like that done are impossible.. Not to mention my standards have become WAY higher than I can achieve  :lol:

charger_cody

Quote from: jb666 on October 17, 2009, 04:55:46 PM
Quote from: charger_cody on October 17, 2009, 04:53:52 PM

Cody

Just stay focused and don't rush.. I did a couple of driveway jobs back in high school that I was pretty proud of.. These days between working 2 jobs and home I find that time to get projects like that done are impossible.. Not to mention my standards have become WAY higher than I can achieve  :lol:

Ya dont get me wrong i would love to have someone else do it and it be wwwaaaaayyyy better than what i want, but my paint guy backed out on me.

Cody

dukeboy320

Massively Over Powerd And Respected

charger_cody

Ok so it has been awhile for an update do to money problems, but, I finally got alot of stuff done. Recently /i decided that my tailight painting job was not good enough for me. So I then ook the bumper back off and did it right this time.

Here are some other misc photos that I took when I got bored.

charger_cody

We have a motor now!!!!!

Before (after petty blue)

After

Brock Samson

Finn

1968 Dodge Charger 440, EFI, AirRide suspension
1970 Dodge Challenger RT/SE 383 magnum
1963 Plymouth Savoy 225 with a 3 on the tree.
2002 Dodge Ram 5.9L 360
2014 Dodge Dart 2.4L

charger_cody

Quote from: Brock Samson on March 17, 2010, 12:24:24 PM
lemmie see the strat you painted...  :drool5:
Haha ok ill see if I can et time tonight to take pics.

Cody

charger_cody

Does anyone have a pic of the underside of their 3rd gen? There are 2 triangle looking kinda blocks of steel, maybe a tranny mount? Not a clue where they go.

Also

There has to be some sort of linkage that goes from the shift handle to the shifter on the trans. Any pics of what it might look light?

Thanks in advance guys!!!!  :cheers:

Cody

71383bee

Quote from: charger_cody on March 17, 2010, 06:49:08 PM
Does anyone have a pic of the underside of their 3rd gen? There are 2 triangle looking kinda blocks of steel, maybe a tranny mount? Not a clue where they go.

Also

There has to be some sort of linkage that goes from the shift handle to the shifter on the trans. Any pics of what it might look light?

Cody

Slapstick I assume?  In this photo the shifter is actually lying on its side. 

71 - FC7 383 Super Bee

69bronzeT5

Did you paint a Strat pickguard on the trunk lid? :icon_smile_big: Engine bay looks good!!!!
Feature Editor for Mopar Connection Magazine
http://moparconnectionmagazine.com/

1969 Charger: T5 Copper 383 Automatic
1970 Challenger R/T: FC7 Plum Crazy 440 Automatic
1970 GTO: Black 400 Ram Air III 4-Speed
1971 Charger Super Bee: GY3 Citron Yella 440 4-Speed
1972 Charger: FE5 Red 360 Automatic
1973 Charger Rallye: FY1 Top Banana 440 Automatic
1973 Plymouth Road Runner: FE5 Red 440 Automatic
1973 Plymouth Duster: FC7 Plum Crazy 318 Automatic

charger_cody

Quote from: 71383bee on March 17, 2010, 10:43:12 PM
Quote from: charger_cody on March 17, 2010, 06:49:08 PM

Also

Cody

Slapstick I assume?  In this photo the shifter is actually lying on its side. 

Yes slapstick, that looks to be on the other end of what I need. From that pic it looks like there is a linkage from the handle to that bracket, then the bracket goes down right? If it goes down from there then I think it is a rod type thing with a braket on the end of it that goes torward the tranny shifter part.

Cody

Quote from: 69bronzeT5 on March 17, 2010, 10:57:27 PM
Did you paint a Strat pickguard on the trunk lid? :icon_smile_big: Engine bay looks good!!!!

It was't a strat but I have painted a strat before  :smilielol: It was a washburn. And thanks buddy  :cheers:

Cody

charger_cody

Well boys my project has to stop for a bit. We are moving out into the country. Pretty excited because until then the charger will be moved to my uncles house. I'm also excited because I can start working again now that im graduated and save my duckies for that bulge hood and paint. I will let you guys know when everything is going down.

Oh and might I add that I will have my OWN garage that isn't by my dad's 69 notchback 440 cuda!!!!!!!

That and I got my own toolbox for graduation!!!!!!! Very satisfied with how things are going!!!!!  :coolgleamA: :icon_smile_cool: ;) :icon_smile_wink: :D

Cody!!!!