News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Looking for info on the 17 General Lee's bought from Warner Brothers

Started by MoparMotel, March 30, 2009, 10:32:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

NMike

Quote from: GL#10 on April 02, 2009, 02:01:24 AM
Hey

I have owned 2 of the " 17 "  WGL57 a 68  , and WGL76  a 69  , i now own SGL13  , it along with lee-1 , and 2 other chargers have since surfaced  since the Dodge Charger Registry deal , i also own Movie GL # 10 a 1968 R/T  .

The "17" have a strict contract you must  sign when you buy one of them ,it has guidelines that must be followed ,or you risk having the car confiscated .

K.c

i have often wondered about that "contract". would it hold up in court? ocne you pay for something in full, it is yours and you have the right to do with it as you please.

my parents sold property that belong to my grand parents. they wanted to sell it, but not to see it sub-divided or clear cut and developed. they sought legal council and were told that once sold, the owners could do whatever they wanted with it.

GL#10

Hey

Im not sure how you would go in court , it is a legal document you are signing ,not ifs or buts , you want one of the " 17  " you got to sign the contract no way around it , there are guidelines you got to follow  .

I never had any problem with it , ive still got copies of it , ill have to go over it again .

There are 4 tv series Gl's   , 2 Jesse pickup trucks and police 1 and police 2 , that are out there and where not part of the "17 Dodge charger registry deal " that have no paperwork ,or contract with the W.B   .

The recent Movie General lee's  , where sold at auction with no Contract to sign , ony proof you have is title in W.B name and auction paperwork .

K.c

BrianShaughnessy

Is there any way to verify a past owner of a TV general?

I know of a local country DJ "supposedly" had a TV general and it was "supposedly" sold for over 6 figures last year.   But it was just too pretty in person and I didn't know whether to believe it was a real TV car or not.   I didn't really care if it was some General buildup but when somebody else told me it was a TV car I had my doubts. 
Black Betty:  1969 Charger R/T - X9 440 six pack, TKO600 5 speed, 3.73 Dana 60.
Sinnamon:  1969 Charger R/T - T5 440, 727, 3.23 8 3/4 high school sweetheart.

Mike DC

Oh yeah, the surviving TV cars are known very well.  WB had a standard procedure for scrapping them.  The only ones (outside the 17) that still exist have each survived because of a specific incident outside the norm. 

The VIN could be checked against the series numbers if it came to that.  But honestly, I've never seen a fake TV Lee that's anywhere even close to convincing.  Most people just don't understand how Hollywood prop-cars are done differently from a normal street machine buildup.  Even when fans build copies of specific TV series cars, the replicas are still invariably WAY too nice to get mistaken for an original.

nz69

I've seen a General Lee down here in New Zealand for sale. It was brought out here by Warner Bros for promotional purposes.They have letters and photos and stuff for it. It's quite rough-and ,I think it's for sale.  :shruggy:

gibb5y

ive seen that one aswell.
it was displayed on green lane in its orignal patina and the next time i saw it was at the kumeu hot rod festival it had been resprayed but had had the decal's masked off .

totally ruined it will have a look see if ive got some pics.

gibbsy long time member 1st time poster

mikepmcs

Life isn't Father Knows Best anymore, it's a kick in the face on a saturday night with a steel toed grip kodiak work boot and a trip to the hospital all bloodied and bashed.....for reconstructive surgery. But, what doesn't kill us, makes us stronger, right?

GL#10

Hey

More new members like myself , welcome  :cheers:

The GL is NZ , is a GLE  General Lee , i have seen pics of it before , it was never on the show screen used ,or built by the WB  it was buit for  car shows,where you could get your picture taken with it .

Kc

C500

Welcome fellow kiwi's. Here are a couple of links of interest: http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,7939.msg94699.html#msg94699

and one showing the NZ General. http://www.cmooremotors.co.nz/cars_general_lee.htm
The video in this one is cool. I'm keen to know if the owner has any genuine documentation to back up it's authenticity. GL#10 is right. As far as I'm aware, the car was never used on the set, but was used for promotional purposes by WB. The current owner is a Greek guy who had some work on it done in Taupo recently. The car is quite rough. Where did you see it for sale and how much?
"An aggressive exterior with power to match was enough to pull in the performance boys-especially when abetted by a pair of pipes blaring out the back, and brawny red-sidewall rubber hitting the pavement."  

"........the four speed box changes cogs with the precision of a sharp axe striking soft pine."

gibb5y

I saw it a few years back at kumeu i think he wanted $50000 it had had a fresh coat of orange blown over and looked awful

heres how it was back in august 05 at continental cars

i might have a few at kumeu somewhere will have a look

and Hi it good to finally post.

Mark

gibb5y

it looks better in the pics

here it is back in 2007

C500

Thanks for the pics. I saw it at Route 66 in  Newmarket about 3 or 4 years ago when the previous owner had it, then again last year in Taupo. The car has never been certified for use on NZ roads.
"An aggressive exterior with power to match was enough to pull in the performance boys-especially when abetted by a pair of pipes blaring out the back, and brawny red-sidewall rubber hitting the pavement."  

"........the four speed box changes cogs with the precision of a sharp axe striking soft pine."

nz69

Kia Ora guys. Yeah, I saw it at Kumeu the same time as you took those photos gibb5y. I think I have the same photo. Apparently it sat in a field over in the Hamkes Bay for about 5 years. I thought it was 50 g's he wanted too.

Where are you guys from? What do you drive?

C500

GL#10

Hey

That is for sure one of the GLE  General Lee's ,  the graphics , the interior  , pushbar are all a dead give away .

K.c

Mike DC

Yep.  I agree, it's a GLE car.

Those things are not "real TV cars."  But they're a notch more legitimate than a replica.  (How many other replicas from the early 1980s even used a decent 'Vette orange type of color, let alone a wider pushbar?)  They were sort of like WB's designated touring/public display GLs.

CornDogsCharger

I've always had an interest in these General Lee Enterprices show cars.  In my opinion, if you couldn't own one of the original 22 remaining cars, these would be the next best thing.  Mostly because of their history.  It seems like every kid that was a fan of the show in the early 80's went to a car show and saw one of these 5 or so cars.  When I was I kid growing up in Atlanta I saw one of these cars. 

Justin
"CornDog"

1966 Dodge Charger
1969 Dodge Charger (DMCL Project)
1969 Dodge Charger (WB General Lee "GL#004")
1969 Dodge Super Bee

kikgas01

Yep and it`s to bad a friggn IDIOT JUMPED the only factory 4-speed one. Then halbag ended up with it,bondoed it up and sold it as a REAL general from the series. The only factory 4-speed one to survive. ::) F`ING IDIOTS!

nz69

Hi Kiwi68-I think we have spoken before on NZMF. I bought Clarkeys yellow 69 charger from Taupo-I'm in Taumarunui. Still looking for a 69 grille. :cheers:

C500

Quote from: nz69 on April 06, 2009, 04:35:18 AM
Hi Kiwi68-I think we have spoken before on NZMF. I bought Clarkeys yellow 69 charger from Taupo-I'm in Taumarunui. Still looking for a 69 grille. :cheers:

Hi Struan, I remember your car when Clarkey had it, sunroof right? I saw your car at Kumeu this year and spoke briefly with a woman getting stuff out of the trunk. Good luck with the grille search, just don't buy one of those re-pops.  :cheers:

nz69

I'll only get a genuine grille. I've read all the comments about the re-pops.
Yeah-sun-roof car-thanks for that info you gave me on it too. We'll have to try and meet up sometime.
Love the 500 :2thumbs:

MoparMotel

Any update on these 17? Have any of them came up for sale or changed hands that you know of?
1968 Dodge Charger

1974dodgecharger

Quote from: MoparMotel on January 22, 2012, 07:53:08 PM
Any update on these 17? Have any of them came up for sale or changed hands that you know of?

does one of the actors count? he has one of his on ebay right now for 150k

jaak

Quote from: 1974dodgecharger on January 22, 2012, 08:07:16 PM
Quote from: MoparMotel on January 22, 2012, 07:53:08 PM

does one of the actors count? he has one of his on ebay right now for 150k

The one on eBay right now is Byron Cherry's (Coy Duke) car. It was not used in the series.

Jason

MoparMotel

I saw the auction on that one yesterday. Not a TV series car but still neat. Looking for specifically one of the 17 that were bought in 1990 and have Warner Brothers documentation.
1968 Dodge Charger